NBA 2K13 News Post

Xbox 360

PS3

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 fatleg3 @ 09/27/12 12:35 AM
Beluba, I think some of the controls are wrong on the ps3 screenshots....

Under Post "Triangle" Moves (the second group under Post moves)........

I believe that the moves under "From Hold", and "From Dribble" are switched. The faceup drive moves are under "From Dribble". But every time I try them from a dribble, my player just takes a step in the direction I push then stops but keeps his dribble alive.

They will only faceup drive when I have not used my dribble.

Also, in the Control Stick: Dribbling section there are controls for triple threat moves with the context being "Triple Threat". But how in the world do we get into the triple threat position? Is it standing still without having used a dribble?

# 142 bakesalee @ 09/27/12 02:07 AM
Beluba are you guys going to implement that slick "off ball control" that you had in NBA Live 10? You made a tutorial video, showing us how to take control of Ray Allen, call for a screen, move to the open spot, call for the ball, and drain the open J. This was the most innovative thing introduced in a basketball game in decades. It opened EVERYTHING up (on fast breaks, when nothing was going on, when you saw an opportunity to slash, etc, etc.) and made me feel like playing video basketball was as easy as real basketball - read and react - not read and think.

I'm aware there is "off ball control" in the 2k series but it's never been as smooth as NBA Live 10. Even though the tutorial in 2k12 said you could call for a screen while controlling in off-ball player, it truly did not work - not as in it was hard - but it actually never worked.

# 143 Beluba @ 09/27/12 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatleg3
Beluba, I think some of the controls are wrong on the ps3 screenshots....

Under Post "Triangle" Moves (the second group under Post moves)........

I believe that the moves under "From Hold", and "From Dribble" are switched. The faceup drive moves are under "From Dribble". But every time I try them from a dribble, my player just takes a step in the direction I push then stops but keeps his dribble alive.

They will only faceup drive when I have not used my dribble.

Also, in the Control Stick: Dribbling section there are controls for triple threat moves with the context being "Triple Threat". But how in the world do we get into the triple threat position? Is it standing still without having used a dribble?
Whether you get a layup or dunk off the drop step will be decided by several factors such as ability and dunk package, but yes, it's possible to drop step dunk.

And yeah, you're automatically in triple threat when you catch a pass before you start to dribble.

# 144 Beluba @ 09/27/12 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakesalee
Beluba are you guys going to implement that slick "off ball control" that you had in NBA Live 10? You made a tutorial video, showing us how to take control of Ray Allen, call for a screen, move to the open spot, call for the ball, and drain the open J. This was the most innovative thing introduced in a basketball game in decades. It opened EVERYTHING up (on fast breaks, when nothing was going on, when you saw an opportunity to slash, etc, etc.) and made me feel like playing video basketball was as easy as real basketball - read and react - not read and think.

I'm aware there is "off ball control" in the 2k series but it's never been as smooth as NBA Live 10. Even though the tutorial in 2k12 said you could call for a screen while controlling in off-ball player, it truly did not work - not as in it was hard - but it actually never worked.
I'll have to see if I can figure out a way to work it into 2k14. You're right... offball control has been pretty clunky in 2K for a while now.

# 145 Beluba @ 09/27/12 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
You basically have to see how far or close your defender is and pick the correct move depending on their defensive position. Maybe Beluba can shed some light on this, I don't want to give you the wrong info. The thing that has been working for me is being patient and watching my defender.
It's important to know how much space the different moves cover as well as the kind of angles you can take with your launches out of those moves. So for example, try tapping the right stick toward your ball hand for a standing hes, if your defender shifts with you or opens up in that same direction, move the right stick back to start a behind the back move while holding the left stick toward your offhand to go into the behind the back launch. If you can attack the defender's front foot you should be fast enough to get past him before he can open up the other way and get into a ride with you. If your defender gaps you, pull the left stick away for a step back and shoot a J. That's just an example but the idea is the same whenever you're isolating 1 on 1. Bait the defender until you see something open up, then capitalize.

# 146 23 @ 09/27/12 03:04 AM
I dont have half the controls yet but the amount of,moves you can pull off is insane!

The possibilities are incredible. Props for all the work and time and thought put into this

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

# 147 djsider2 @ 09/27/12 03:26 AM
Anyone know what the Protect Triangle/Y moves are? If i leave LStick neutral and press Triangle/Y, won't it just post up?

# 148 bakesalee @ 09/27/12 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
I'll have to see if I can figure out a way to work it into 2k14. You're right... offball control has been pretty clunky in 2K for a while now.
Thanks for responding on this!

# 149 Sundown @ 09/27/12 05:16 AM
After some practice, I'm enjoying the control stick a bit more. Rather than jerk the stick around hoping to get creative, it helps to emulate combos of real players. I spent some time trying to do Curry's signature combos in the Nike videos with Westbrook and was almost able to do most of them. I still wish moves were smoother even if they weren't time perfectly and that they felt more like 2K12. Now I need to learn how to read and react to openings rather than run through a script.

Behind the back almost seems overpowered now at the default difficulty level. Thing is, it's sometimes inconsistent in when it fires off and which behind the back you'll get-- the little one, or the big one that gets you real separation. Sometimes you just get the between the legs dribble instead.

It's a shame we lost the Sig size ups.

Beluba, is there a technical reason why they couldn't be kept in with the new system?

# 150 RyanFitzmagic @ 09/27/12 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsider2
Anyone know what the Protect Triangle/Y moves are? If i leave LStick neutral and press Triangle/Y, won't it just post up?
Posting up on the perimeter and protecting the ball are essentially the same thing, both in real life and in video games.

# 151 Kashanova @ 09/27/12 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Maybe one of the top buttons and the right stick could have a set of commands for off ball movements. Like RB, press x for the player, do a curl on the right stick and the player will perform a curl or something like that

# 152 achieveduser @ 09/27/12 09:19 AM
Can you give me some tips on how to pull off an Euro step? I read the control stick instruction and tried it with Dwade over 20 games yesterday. I did it just once.

Also is floater samething as runner? Maybe shot selection is contextual?

Please Help me out:
Are these (euro, floater, runner) moves something I should be able to do with a defender in front of me? I'm asking this because I kept trying it with a defender in front of me but don't know where is the sweet spot to initiate the move while driving.

# 153 RocketTMac1 @ 09/27/12 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreezy18
Looking at all these new controls, I'm definitely going into practice mode again this year as well. I'll have to wait for retail to even begin to practice though which sucks.
I've gotten a good feel for how my momentum will carry me. I think just free styling each time down the court is a problem I have to. Whenever I free style I still set a play up and read the defense to determine if I can just break the play and do a p&r or p&p or just iso.

Practice mode is much needed. Then I'll run my second team against my starters in a scrimmage. I figure if I can do some things with my second team then I'll be fine during a game. It's just re-learning everything and getting adjusted to actual momentum in a game.

# 154 TOMillr @ 09/27/12 11:02 AM
Am I the only one who feels that the Control-Stick in its current form aren't just "there" yet? Or did I miss something in the control listing on the first page?

I do like the basic premise of controlling your feeds with the left and your hands with the right stick. But constantly having to switch between the right stick and the face buttons doesn't help in making the game more accessible:

If I'm breaking down the defender with some nice moves and the defender get help from one of his teammates, how do I pass out of that situation? Do I really have to move my thumb away from the right stick and pass with the face button? Or is this total passing button + right stick the only way?

Or what about playing on defense? Can I steal and block only with the face buttons?

# 155 RocketTMac1 @ 09/27/12 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMillr
Am I the only one who feels that the Control-Stick in its current form aren't just "there" yet? Or did I miss something in the control listing on the first page?

I do like the basic premise of controlling your feeds with the left and your hands with the right stick. But constantly having to switch between the right stick and the face buttons doesn't help in making the game more accessible:

If I'm breaking down the defender with some nice moves and the defender get help from one of his teammates, how do I pass out of that situation? Do I really have to move my thumb away from the right stick and pass with the face button? Or is this total passing button + right stick the only way?

Or what about playing on defense? Can I steal and block only with the face buttons?
You always had the pass on the face button. The only difference is that you don't have to hold LT to activate the isomotion. And try using the LT + right stick for shooting. It takes time but it's much better than pushing a face button.

And the defense has just changed with directing where people dribble and flops to me. I may be in the minority but I've always enjoyed playing defense, in the game and on the actual court. And you use the right stick to put your hands up when someone is shooting. Blocks and steals have been on the same face buttons for years now.

# 156 RocketTMac1 @ 09/27/12 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by achieveduser
Can you give me some tips on how to pull off an Euro step? I read the control stick instruction and tried it with Dwade over 20 games yesterday. I did it just once.

Please Help me out:
Are these (euro, floater, runner) moves something I should be able to do with a defender in front of me? I'm asking this because I kept trying it with a defender in front of me but don't know where is the sweet spot to initiate the move while driving.
Euro step is quite easy for me. Just hold the LT trigger and where ever you are dribbling to the basket move you right stick from left to right or right to left. It's like actually pulling of the move on the court.

And for a runner I think its driving to the basket and double tapping the LT and pulling the right stick back. Floaters are the same but in the mid range area I believe.

When you get the game practice mode baby.

# 157 Beluba @ 09/27/12 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Beluba, is there a technical reason why they couldn't be kept in with the new system?
Not so much technical as they didn't fit in the year 1 design of the Control Stick. Most of those sizeups were move chains and didn't break out into individual moves very well. I have some ideas for how to incorporate them (in some form) into the next iteration.

# 158 Beluba @ 09/27/12 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by achieveduser

Please Help me out:
Runner = driving shot done in the paint
Floater = standing shot done in the paint

The commands are different. For runner, you have to be moving and in range, then hold LT(L2) and move the Right Stick away from the hoop. For the Floater, hold LT(L2) and move the Right Stick toward the hoop while standing in the paint.

For both the runnner and the euro, you can do them in traffic but it's important to have enough space. If you collide with a defender before you get the shot to initiate, the game will think you're not moving fast enough and you won't get the right shot. You can also try double tapping X(Square). It's a little easier than a double stick throw.

# 159 AllStarDaDon @ 09/27/12 12:47 PM
I basically memorized the dribble and the shot stick already. I'm already chaining together moves. Key is read your defender and also look where your momentum is taking you. It also wouldn't hurt if you knew how to pull off each move so you could react better.

The only thing I'm consistently having problems is the basic crossover. It's like 50 with me, I'll get it sometimes and then sometimes I'll get the behind the back. But I noticed when you want to cross if you flick the stick in more of a upper diagonal motion you'll get the cross.

# 160 Sandbox @ 09/27/12 12:59 PM
Anyway you can post the controls in excel format Mike?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.