Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

Kotaku's Owen Good sends word that Madden NFL 25 could include actual NFL referees. If they are adding some focus on the referees, let's hope they are working on the penalties in general, pass interference being first on the list. (Although I have seen a few more this year...)

Quote:
EA Sports plans to include real-life NFL referees in Madden NFL 14, according to two different sources close to the NFL Referees Association. One of them said the officials' facial features have been scanned into the game, with an eye toward making their calls and explanations a part of the broadcast presentation for next year's game.

What are you hoping to see come out of this?

This is just a rumor for now, so let's keep the discussion on penalties (and not "WHY ARE THEY WORKING ON REFEREES WHEN THEY HAVE SO MANY OTHER ISSUES...")

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 videlsports @ 09/28/12 11:33 PM
Wow the world has officially ran out of idea's

# 62 Sanchez_Mareno @ 09/28/12 11:56 PM
Pretty meh on the refs being in the game, wouldnt mind penalties being tidied up

# 63 D3athC1utch24 @ 10/02/12 02:31 PM
These are things I would like them to fix/tune
Presentation they need to fix the crowd, players on sideline ,and player models
Gameplay they need to fix blocking, footplanting, and tune up the infinity engine,fix the route mirroring,and morphing.Also they have to stop letting the reciever and defender catch up too much speed on the deep ball
I would like them to add Team Play Connected Career or be able to be on the same team with your freinds online,and hava and OPTION to be drafted into the leage instead of always picking your team when creating a player

# 64 KBLover @ 10/02/12 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
[center]
I hoping penalties not getting called because they don't exist is over (like the nuances of illegal block in the back - which is NOT clipping - and defensive holding and illegal contact - which is NOT pass interference). I'm hoping for stuff like there being no voice call for illegal forward pass is gone. I'm hoping for more execution penalties that don't require me to actually break the rules (i.e. player screws up what I'm trying to tell him to do instead of me actually on the sticks having to run over and jack someone up after the play, which I'd never do, instead, things like, I want to tackle the QB for a sack, but his TAK rating or AWR is bad and he hits the QB below the knees or helmet-to-helmet).

I'm hoping for simple stuff like the "FLAG" marker coming up during a play more often for penalties that occur during play, not just at the end and suddenly a flag is "out" ("out" because you never actually see one) for holding. I can see it with interference because that's usually the end of the play (pass is incomplete) and of course false start (no play at all), but not for like holding, offsides, illegal contact, etc. I hope to see a flag actually on the field and the refs actually throw it.

With the emphasis on player safety in the real game, we need more personal fouls. Crushing a defenseless receiver, better-done roughing the passer, unnecessary roughness that doesn't require you to hit stick someone 5 yds out of bounds (anyone actually do that?).

Also, in line with penalties - how about players get a "penalty rating" or some sort of reputation among the league officials. For example, a defender that causes a lot of interference will get a reputation for being too physical, so even ticky-tack calls will start going against him. Think Harrison and the reputation he has.

Some crews call more penalties than others and certain kinds of penalties more than others. Instead of just having the penalty sliders be the global rate, let it be a modifier for whatever that crew calls. With the real officials in, they could put them in their real crews and get the data on their tendencies. Even with fake refs, though, they can do this. Rotate crews like draft classes. "Crew 2" might call holding at the drop of a hat. "Crew 1" might 'let the guys play' and only the most obvious/flagrant calls get flagged.

I think things like this would get the penalties to be more fleshed out and the officiating more dynamic. I know there's the whole "We don't want a penalty/ref call to change the dynamic of the game" mentality that EA is said to have, but...Green Bay vs Seattle on MNF anyone? Kruger's stupid play on Thrusday night? The "we don't know who got it so let's say 'down by contact' in the GB/NO game (the ball was CLEARLY out). It happens. It's part of the game.

# 65 jmaso1 @ 10/23/12 01:31 PM
big deal not

# 66 Rushdown @ 10/23/12 01:37 PM
Quote:
I'm hoping to see some occasional gems, like

http://youtu.be/6D8aAC4jrPM?t=36s

http://youtu.be/OeaUN6jfvzo

and

http://youtu.be/eslz06J9hFw

# 67 PopsTexas2Step @ 12/26/12 09:08 PM
Will franchise mode comeback in 2014?
I want to be able to play a season with as many teams as I want and use my own udated rosters?

I am so disappointed in Madden 13 this year, I can't believe I pre-order this game EVERY YEAR and this year I get this???

It seems as if they forgot about the orginal gamers who put the Franchise on the map. For me 13 is so bad, I went back to playing Madden 12. 13 doesn't offer how I like to play the game (Franshise Mode) I've even gone as far as to uppdated all the rosters on 2012 (myself) to reflect the 2013 rosters.

I really hope EA brings back Franchise Mode for us "simple" game players in 2014. I can't see myself playing any FUTURE Madden titles after this year. I've been loyal to madden since the 90's. I just can't believe this. I was told they were going to patch this years game so you can play with as many teams in any given season (offline), and use your own roster, but I guess that was all HOT AIR. (I called EA 3 different times trying to voice my opinions about Madden 13 and was assured changes were coming and that EA was listening to the consumers and there wants)

I've passed my love for Madden down to my son through the years (he 17 years old now and now he longs for 2K to bring back their series, which I don't agree with) put now I feel as if EA isn't showing us 30+ year old gamers any respect. I use to be able to pick a team in every division and play a season with each team in the 1 season, WITH MY OWN revised Rosters, I would add my brothers to their favorite team and add myself to mine. I did this for YEARS, but this year, 2013 I can only do that with 1 team at a time in any given season? I'm a father of 2 and I don't have the time to play ON-Line, i'd rather play an off-line season with my brothers/son after working so hard all week, wtf is that about EA? I see you made it so that you can use your own updated roster, thank you by the way, but what about playind with multiple teams?

I hope something changes between now and 2014.

Sincerely,

Upset OLD SCHOOL gamer who has had enough...
a tradition lost in my family *sigh*

BigCurt (PopsTexas2Step)
[email protected]

**if anyone has contacts at EA please fwd this to them** (thank you in advance)

# 68 SamoanSteelerFromAus @ 03/13/13 02:50 AM
Really? Of all the deficiencies this game has this is what they address first? Who gives a F about refs? especially when fundamental penalties don't even get called in Madden games.

# 69 RogueHominid @ 03/14/13 10:43 AM
Ugh.

I guess I'm fine with it so long as priority #1 is on getting the penalty values tuned @ 50 to reflect NFL averages for each category. If they can do that, then adding in the referees is alright.

I think I'd rather have a more realistic injury system first, though.

# 70 JerzeyReign @ 03/14/13 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamoanSteelerFromAus
Really? Of all the deficiencies this game has this is what they address first? Who gives a F about refs? especially when fundamental penalties don't even get called in Madden games.
Sir, this thread is old. No one is sure if they continued down this route.

# 71 rdonnel1 @ 03/14/13 01:38 PM
Quote:

Kotaku's Owen Good sends word that Madden NFL 14 could include actual NFL referees. If they are adding some focus on the referees, let's hope they are working on the penalties in general, pass interference being first on the list. (Although I have seen a few more this year...)

This is just a rumor for now, so let's keep the discussion on penalties (and not "WHY ARE THEY WORKING ON REFEREES WHEN THEY HAVE SO MANY OTHER ISSUES...")
That picture is unrealistic...The Falcons don't commit penalties

# 72 hanzsomehanz @ 03/15/13 10:01 PM
Someone said refs were in a past iteration and this is true. I saw Haucalee in '07 for the 360

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

# 73 Aggies7 @ 03/17/13 11:09 PM
It adds to the realism factor but let be honest Steve is right. If they don't call penalties(PI) then who cares what they look like.

Would be nice if they each had own personality like the Umpires in the Show have different strike zones.

# 74 Trick13 @ 03/28/13 03:04 AM
I don't understand this at all. Seems time would better spent elsewhere in the game - and if they are going to do anything to improve the on field presentation- it should be on making the sidelines more immersive/active not on the refs, imho

# 75 hanzsomehanz @ 03/28/13 02:08 PM
Another distraction from the main attraction albeit if they do focus in on penalties it will hopefully lead to an improved physics system that can help refs better detect penalties based on animation pulls and point of contact interferences.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2

# 76 splff3000 @ 05/22/13 08:23 AM
Soooo, has anybody heard anything else about this recently? I know I haven't. I'm telling ya, if they scanned all the refs and didn't do anything with penalties I'm gonna lose it lol.

# 77 secondsolution @ 05/22/13 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Soooo, has anybody heard anything else about this recently? I know I haven't. I'm telling ya, if they scanned all the refs and didn't do anything with penalties I'm gonna lose it lol.
I think its going to be purely part of the presentation with zero improvements to the actual penalties. The presentation NDAs are still in effect so we won't know for sure until they end (which I'm guessing will be at E3).

# 78 JaymeeAwesome @ 08/13/13 09:57 PM
Did we get this in M25? I didn't see much of it in the demo.

# 79 tdogg097 @ 08/14/13 07:23 AM
Not in the demo for sure and penalties are still crap.

# 80 jpdavis82 @ 08/14/13 10:49 AM
I think this is going to be for next gen. I just don't see them redoing the penalty system completely which is what they would have to do, knowing that this gen would be fading away soon as we transition into next gen.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.