Home
NHL 13 News Post

Another NHL 13 tuner has been released, bringing it up to version 1.04. Check out the details below.

Quote:
All Modes
  • Greater chance of penalty being called if a player is tripped (stumbles will now be considered trips)
  • Pokecheck less effective in HUT
  • Goalies less vulnerable on shots from distance on the rush on Game Styles Normal and Hardcore.
  • Decreased AI ability to make long stretch passes when Users were calling for a pass.
  • Increase penalty calls across the board
  • Increase effect of CPU Opponent and CPU Teammate penalty sliders
  • Increase chance of slash being called on stick lift from a bad angle
  • Increase likelihood of interference being called
  • Increase chance of CPU clearance being played over the boards
  • Increase chance of boarding, charging and hitting from behind being called
  • Increase time CPU will finish checks after puck is released

Game: NHL 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Section_25 @ 09/28/12 01:09 AM
Wild vs. Hurricanes was standing room only in the box just now after a fight in the 3rd for both sides .... LOL

This is way better now!

# 42 bscbears99 @ 09/28/12 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
Tuner set 1.04 SUCKS on Pro.

I saw little or nothing of what's promised in two offline games, Pro, eight-minute periods, no slider adjustments. Everything default. Itemized deductions:

All Modes
Greater chance of penalty being called if a player is tripped (stumbles will now be considered trips)
NO. Not one tripping call in two games even though my forwards were being clipped at the shins like the back of a bad mullet at the barber shop.

Goalies less vulnerable on shots from distance on the rush on Game Styles Normal and Hardcore.
YES, and that's unrealistic. Snipers still should be able to score on slappers from the tops of the circles on a rush.

Decreased AI ability to make long stretch passes when Users were calling for a pass.
YES.

Increase penalty calls across the board
NO. Same amount as before. One or two per team in a game with eight-minute penalties.

Increase effect of CPU Opponent and CPU Teammate penalty sliders
Don't know. I played everything default to test.

Increase chance of slash being called on stick lift from a bad angle
NO. Hell, I hacked at guys from bad angles just to test this. Nothing.

Increase likelihood of interference being called
NO. Not one interference penalty called in two games.

Increase chance of CPU clearance being played over the boards
NO. Never saw it.

Increase chance of boarding, charging and hitting from behind being called
NO. Not once.

Increase time CPU will finish checks after puck is released
YES. And this makes the difference in AI awareness between CPU defenders in their slot and CPU-controlled defenders in human team's slot even more unbalanced. That's the biggest problem in NHL 13 offline. The AI defenders have such active sticks and good positioning in their slot and around their net. My CPU-controlled defensemen and backchecking forwards stand around like zombies, with wet noodles as sticks.

I saw no broken sticks in two games, another detractor of realism compared to the other tuner sets.

Tuner set 1.01 still is the best. The most balanced, organic and similar to the brilliance of the demo.

Why the hell doesn't EA leave well enough alone? Why must it respond to every minority yelp from the community?
You call 786 post (between the two major threads on the topic) a minority yelp??? I say kuddos to EA for listening and trying to do something to fix what was a major flaw in this game.

# 43 pk500 @ 09/28/12 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscbears99
You call 786 post (between the two major threads on the topic) a minority yelp??? I say kuddos to EA for listening and trying to do something to fix what was a major flaw in this game.
I'm not convinced the flaw is fixed. Need to play more games. So far I've had two games with hardly any calls and one with an adequate amount.

And please, don't use post count as ammunition. How many of those posts were redundant, stating the obvious, inane, etc.

Lack of penalties is a problem. No one is debating that. But tuner set 1.04 might be more of a placebo than a cure.

I wonder if it works better on certain skill levels or with certain slider sets.

# 44 rockytopGBO @ 09/28/12 01:44 AM
This tuner kicks ***. Fair number of penalties and it seems to play more realistic to me. Win for EA.

# 45 rockytopGBO @ 09/28/12 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
I'm not convinced the flaw is fixed. Need to play more games. So far I've had two games with hardly any calls and one with an adequate amount.

And please, don't use post count as ammunition. How many of those posts were redundant, stating the obvious, inane, etc.

Lack of penalties is a problem. No one is debating that. But tuner set 1.04 might be more of a placebo than a cure.

I wonder if it works better on certain skill levels or with certain slider sets.
I'm seeing an obvious difference on SS difficulty.

# 46 meetjsquared @ 09/28/12 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytopGBO
This tuner kicks ***. Fair number of penalties and it seems to play more realistic to me. Win for EA.
Please elaborate. Minutes, difficulty, number/type of penalties.

# 47 rockytopGBO @ 09/28/12 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meetjsquared
Please elaborate. Minutes, difficulty, number/type of penalties.
I'll do my best from memory. Played four games with this tuner so far.

General settings
9 minutes
Superstar
Max penalty settings
Max aggression

First game
TOR (me always) v NJ
I had maybe four PP chances vs CPU fourish ( can't recall entirely ).

TOR v MIN
I had went 3/7 on the PP (including a 5 on 3) and gave up 3 shorthanded chances.

TOR v CAR
Had 3 PP chances and probably committed 4-5 penalties.

TOR v PHI
Only had 2 PPs chances but a mix is nice and committed 3 penalties.

Couple high scoring games, one 3-1 and one 1-0.

Obvious difference for me.

# 48 rockytopGBO @ 09/28/12 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytopGBO
I'll do my best from memory. Played four games with this tuner so far.

General settings
9 minutes
Superstar
Max penalty settings
Max aggression

First game
TOR (me always) v NJ
I had maybe four PP chances vs CPU fourish ( can't recall entirely ).

TOR v MIN
I had went 3/7 on the PP (including a 5 on 3) and gave up 3 shorthanded chances.

TOR v CAR
Had 3 PP chances and probably committed 4-5 penalties.

TOR v PHI
Only had 2 PPs chances but a mix is nice and committed 3 penalties.

Couple high scoring games, one 3-1 and one 1-0.

Obvious difference for me.
By general settings I did NOT mean default sliders. Sorry.

# 49 Taku @ 09/28/12 02:16 AM
Game mode? I'm not seeing too many calls in Be a GM, its better in Play now. I didnt start new Be a GM with latest tuner set but I don't believe it makes a difference...

# 50 TheRealGooch @ 09/28/12 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taku
Game mode? I'm not seeing too many calls in Be a GM, its better in Play now. I didnt start new Be a GM with latest tuner set but I don't believe it makes a difference...
I'm playing GM connected with 10 minute periods. Penalties and aggression are maxed. I am in a coach mode league, and in my first game with 1.04 I saw 7 penalties. Winnipeg (me) had 2 and Montreal (CPU) had 5 including a game misconduct for boarding.

# 51 Taku @ 09/28/12 02:33 AM
So I guess that means cpu vs cpu games?

# 52 TheRealGooch @ 09/28/12 02:50 AM
Quote:
So I guess that means cpu vs cpu games?
We control line changes/strategy. When we play, we use player lock and set it to CO (coach only).

# 53 pk500 @ 09/28/12 03:13 AM
Further playtesting has convinced me tuner set 1.04 is a dud on Pro defaults.

Yeah, there are maybe one or two more penalties per game. But the trade-off is uber-aggressive offensive forechecking and laser-like puck anticipation by the CPU on the forecheck and incredibly active sticks by the CPU in their zone.

I'll stick to tuner set 1.01 or 1.03. Those are the best overall sets on Pro defaults. Most balanced, most fun.

# 54 canucksss @ 09/28/12 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
ok...im using MK's slider with few adjustment of mine in my BaGM with 9 mins per period.

1st Game penalties - CPU 1 vs Me 6 (3 of which were committed by my CPU teammates)

2nd Game penalties - CPU 1 vs Me 2 (all of which is committed by CPU teammates)

although i like this tuner so far with the CPU being aggressive (my aggressive is MAX) compared to my previous games (i used 1.02 tuner). BUT IM NOT SEEING PENALTIES FROM CPU opponent.
OK, i made some adjustments using MK and some personal choices EXCEPT Checking sliders (hitting assistance, aggressiveness etc) i left it at DEFAULT. in my BaGM, 9 mins per period one game result:

CPU (4 penalties) vs ME 6 pens (3 pens committed by me and 3 pens by CPU teammates).

Quote:
i used PRO and one thing i noticed is that if its a close game, like a tie or 1 goal difference, CPU can make penalties. i played my existing BaGM, w/ 16 games down, made some adjustments and put DEFAULT setting on checking (i adjusted MK sliders to default setting in checking...just copy whatever that is in the default setting) it made wonders.

i will try again tomorrow and post here my results.

# 55 meetjsquared @ 09/28/12 03:42 AM
First try so far... froze halfway through the 2nd. custom sliders on all-star with all penalties up, 10 min periods.

Before it froze, 3 penalties for each team (2 boarding, 2 tripping, 1 roughing, 1 cross checking) each team w/1 PP goal. I was down 2-1. I noticed the computer AI does commit penalties especially when they are stuck in their own zone and tired.

# 56 Taku @ 09/28/12 04:17 AM
Yeah no problem in be a gm, plenty of penalties now.

# 57 JezFranco @ 09/28/12 04:40 AM
Wow, this sounds pretty good.
Can't wait to play tonight.

It seems it's a bit underdone still?
Most people are getting decent results, with all penalty sliders on MAX.
On MAX shouldn't it be on the higher side. Anyway, any improvement is accepted.

EDIT: Never mind ,saw Reshirts post in the other thread. Could be getting better if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
Changes should be up soon (actually they probably are already). We decided to hold back on some what I was looking at pending further testing, but there should be some improvement. Feedback on results will be helpful and we are still looking at this. The idea was to get a first pass out fairly quickly with the more straightforward things and assess how much more might need to be done after that.

Big question... Is the CPU using the poke check?
That's a problem with penalties so far, the CPU never pokes, so they never trip you.

# 58 Taku @ 09/28/12 05:00 AM
No they don't, I do not think it can be fixed with a tuner. Actually I saw few clear pokes made by Cpu but not in amount that there would be tripping calls coming...

I think this tuner rocks, of course there's plenty of things to fix and everyone has their own "top-10" list of what should be fixed but I think that 98% of the problems in game are outside the rink.

# 59 meetjsquared @ 09/28/12 05:33 AM
So I played 3 more games after the one that froze. Not too thrilled.

1st game, only 3 penalties, 1 from CPU, 2 from me.
2nd game, 2 penalties, 1 each
3rd game, 2 penalties, 1 each

again, tuner 1.04, BaGM, 10 min periods, custom sliders, max penalties, aggression at 5. I double checked pre-game, mid-game, and post-game. Penalties were checking from behind, boarding, tripping (only by my team, once from my CPU AI), and interference to make up the 7 TOTAL PENALTIES IN 3 GAMES.

I'd still like to see 10+ per game or something because they can be decreased.

I'd like to point out I had some tripping calls (CPU went to one knee) that weren't called. I like to spam the poke check on D, and I got away with more than a few. Also some checks from behind/boarding weren't called. I feel like it's just the enforcement of the penalties; they're happening, just not getting called.

# 60 pm83 @ 09/28/12 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
Big question... Is the CPU using the poke check?
That's a problem with penalties so far, the CPU never pokes, so they never trip you.
Isn't poke check tied to aggression slider? So because most of us use aggression at max it makes cpu hit when there (in real life situation) should be poke check.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.