Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

According to Steve Lyons, he will be replacing Dave Campbell in MLB 13 The Show. Yes, the same guy from the All-Star Baseball series.

Quote:
Doin lots of VoiceOver work today for MLB THE SHOW 2013. Get ready to pick it up in March!

Could this mean an overhaul in the commentary department? What do you think about this news?

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Frank is the Tank @ 10/08/12 09:57 PM
Finally!!!

# 2 Scott @ 10/08/12 09:58 PM
Great news....

# 3 bcruise @ 10/08/12 10:01 PM
Hopefully the pants stay on.

# 4 Knight165 @ 10/08/12 10:18 PM
Wow.

I'm very surprised to say the least and Lyons is absolutely my favorite in video game commentary.

I loved him in the ASB series.

About to pop in ASB2005 for a little throwback....

M.K.
Knight165

# 5 nemesis04 @ 10/08/12 10:28 PM
Very nice! Enjoyed him in the ASB series.

# 6 redsoxfan25 @ 10/08/12 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Wow.

I'm very surprised to say the least and Lyons is absolutely my favorite in video game commentary.

M.K.
Knight165
Exactly what I was going to say, beat me to it Knight!

# 7 Mabster @ 10/08/12 10:52 PM
Hopefully this is just the first indication that they intend to do a commentary overhaul. I'm sure we can all agree it's needed.

# 8 Galvatron @ 10/09/12 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabster
Hopefully this is just the first indication that they intend to do a commentary overhaul. I'm sure we can all agree it's needed.
Total agreement here. I seriously hope they're not just handing him Campbell's lines either, and that he's in the recording studio TOGETHER with the others.

# 9 RedK @ 10/09/12 12:19 AM
yea hopefully this is the first of getting all new commentary. Its just too old and stale now. It needs a change and i dont mean just one person. It needs to get a overhaul.

# 10 nemesis04 @ 10/09/12 12:08 PM
If Matt is still doing the Show 13 (I would assume he still is), I hope they capture more of his emotions when he does a game. After hearing him in the recent playoff games they have not tapped anything near his commentating ability in the Show. Don't get me wrong he is good but I think Matt has a lot more to offer in the game.

# 11 bp4baseball @ 10/09/12 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
If Matt is still doing the Show 13 (I would assume he still is), I hope they capture more of his emotions when he does a game. After hearing him in the recent playoff games they have not tapped anything near his commentating ability in the Show. Don't get me wrong he is good but I think Matt has a lot more to offer in the game.
I agree, and I think the most important thing as another poster pointed out is the style of commentating. Just changing voices is a short term solution, because I believe it's the way that the announcers interact with each other that has the most potential to be improved. I have a feeling SCEA has (and probably has had for some years) a plan for changing the way the commentating is done, and we are beginning to see it rolled out.

# 12 dbstanley74 @ 10/09/12 12:34 PM
I noticed the playoffs commentary changed VERY LITTLE. I was very dissappointed in the lack of depth in the commentary changes for playoff games. Also the animations after winning playoffs series' lack some serious emotion. It literally looked stale and a whole lot less than the amount of "blood, sweat and tears" it took me to get there.

At least I wont have to hear another "Linda Ronstadt fastball....Blue Bayou" Everytime I hear that line.... I think does anyone who plays this game know that song or who the heck Linda Ronstadt is? Sadly I am guilty on both counts! And that song does suck BIG TIME.

# 13 BoSox5 @ 10/09/12 12:36 PM
Nice, at the very least the commentary will feel somewhat fresh. Hopefully more bantering and back and forth is implemented this year, similar to NBA 2k's style. I hope they add some type of on field reporter aspect as well.

# 14 Blzer @ 10/09/12 12:43 PM
Lyons and Karros aren't exactly indistinguishable when it comes to their voices, but they will certainly sound very similar.

I'm good with the move, but they really need to focus on the programming algorithms behind the commentary more than anything else. The whole "talking from separate booths" seems like an outdated thing nowadays.

# 15 Simp @ 10/09/12 03:12 PM
I think this is a good move to inject some much needed freshness into the game but as others have stated, the biggest problem is not with WHO is reading the lines.

If they only plug Lyons into Campbell's spot with the same lines and all, the way Karros replaced Hudler, this will not be enough IMO.

Replacing a commentator is fine but what they really need to replace is the commentary SYSTEM. The way they play off each other, get some conversations going like 2k has. Change the code under the hood, don't just recycle the same lines.

If you have some studio time already set aside it's a good time to do it SCEA!

# 16 nomo17k @ 10/09/12 03:26 PM
I'm not so huge on commentators, but I agree with Blzr. I like Lyons' style but he sounds kinda like Karros, and it really is the algorithm that's getting tired after years.

For all you spoiled the Show veterans, in future I'd suggest SCEA to replace the current broadcasting team with Spanish commentators. I think this is a brilliant idea just because (1) they are all new commentators who bring fresh air to the booth (yay, no more Soup! no more Hudler disguised as Karros!); (2) many of us wouldn't understand them so cannot possibly get tired of what specific comments they are saying (no more gamers complaining whoever specific needs to be replaced); and (3) at least better than no commentary at all. With added bonus that the game would appeal even more to some Latino communities (in which baseball is quite big as I understand... you see many Dominican guys are playing online).

# 17 phaeton16 @ 10/09/12 04:36 PM
I think living here in the bay area we have been spoiled with Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow (Kruk and Kuip) These guys were the announcers in the MVP series and in my opinion bring some fun to the real game of baseball, it would be great if Sony could get these guys. I'm not just a Homer I have had friends from outside the area that watched a game and commented that these guys are good

# 18 sydrogerdavid @ 10/09/12 05:08 PM
I'm just happy we got some early news. Great job, Tnixen.

# 19 SoxFan01605 @ 10/09/12 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Wow.

M.K.
Knight165
Agreed on all counts (and yes, that includes popping in ASB 05).

Now, here's hoping that we later hear that another certain ASB feature found its way in.

# 20 rspencer86 @ 10/09/12 05:33 PM
Looks like we are going to be throwing our last Linda Ronstadt fastballs very soon.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.