Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

Competition is good. It holds game developers accountable, inspires new ideas and forces companies to push the envelope year after year. NBA 2K has long been one of my favorite franchises due to my love for basketball, and by extension simulation basketball videogames. As good as it has been however, the series can get a lot better. Though NBA 2K lacks significant competition in its own niche at the time, there is plenty of competition in the genre of sports gaming as a whole.

Borrowing ideas from other sports games (some of their own), and implementing them in the context of NBA 2K, produced the popular My Career mode (via MLB the Show) and the exciting addition of Signature Skills (via All Pro Football). What are some other aspects NBA 2K can borrow to create a better experience? I have a few ideas.

Read More - NBA 2K: Borrowing Good Ideas to Create A Better Game

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 keshunleon @ 10/25/12 10:07 PM
Fix the accessory glitch that has plagued the game for 6 yrs, get new shoes, realistic features; wing span, and tattoos first then borrow from others.

Always fix home first B4 u try to borrow.

# 22 da ThRONe @ 10/25/12 10:36 PM
Skyrim and progress your My Career player based on how he plays and what he actually practices on. As opposed to VC and/or SP.

# 23 2_headedmonster @ 10/25/12 10:50 PM
-Create-a-player from the smackdown series

-Create-a-play from college hoops

-Create-a-playbook that can be named, totally customized, and taken online

-Create-a-team from Ncaa football ( expansion draft in association)

# 24 Angel_G @ 10/25/12 10:54 PM
Borrow the Create a Team from the Madden NFL Series where you can create your own uniforms, arena (in Madden stadium of course) and select your players. Add an individual section for Home Accessories and Away Accessories. For Alternate jerseys make certain gear color locked to the jersey.

# 25 Jakeness23 @ 10/26/12 09:33 AM
Full player intros, one of the old Lives had this. It'd make more sense for bigger games or rivalry games like when Miami played in Cleveland for the first time after LeBron went to Miami or for playoff and all-star games.

# 26 NealN42 @ 10/26/12 11:27 AM
Love these ideas! The CAP system has been virtually untouched for 3 years. It's especially ridiculous when 2k markets My Player the most, and yet year after year refuses to update the actual CAP options, or actually get the Playvision to work correctly...but thats a different story.

# 27 plumplylumpkin @ 10/26/12 11:48 AM
Storylines!

# 28 Angel_G @ 10/26/12 12:20 PM
Like in NBA 09 The Inside, turn off the lights and put a spotlight on the player being introduced and the teamates in two rows giving them high fives (or low fives lol).

# 29 javnsixers @ 10/26/12 12:35 PM
I've always thought the pre-game shoot-around on Live 10' was fantastic; best thing I liked about the game.

Please do this 2k, you have my vote.

# 30 Humdinger80 @ 10/26/12 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
#1) borrow server and/or online tech....whatever from COD....make it stable

#2) Gameface

#3) Borrow currency from NBA 2k10, 11, 12...in other words get rid of VC

#4) More presentation from previous games like what has been said
Pretty much just that for me. I mean seriously....c'mon 2K, CoD 32 player ground war matches with little to no noticeable lag, 5 vs 5 Team Up? NEVER played a game with more than 3 people that didn't stutter. I'd be painfully addicted to blacktop and team up and hardly ever play MyCareer if they could get this ish worked out one day....Yeah right.

# 31 thirty3breeze @ 10/26/12 02:00 PM
1) Bring back multiple my career/ my players like nba 2k12 had. If anything give people the ability to create at least 5 different my careers with different looks and names. So we could do a my career for different positions.

2)Use the control and the dunk variety from nba 2k8. Have a tutorial for it. I prefer that control scheme to the guitar hero controls.

3) 2K could probably save a lot of money on legends by adopting a game face similar to how easports has. That way you can create yourself and legends that might not be in the game like this year chris webber, julius irving, and kareem adbul jabbar.

4) Add the skills challenge to all star weekend. The dribble drill is already in there all you have to add is those passing things and you have the skill challenge.

5) add the create a playbook from college hoops 2k8 this was pretty cool you could create offensive plays and zone defenses.

6) do not add a vc cost to accessories unless they provide attribute boosts. So we can make guys with generic and team color accessories, but if we want a boost like+2 vertical it will cost vc points.

7) the size caps for each position should be based on the the max sizes players have played at for example:

pg max height 6'9-magic was 6'9
sg i think still keep at 6'9
sf 7'0 I think barnani started in the nba as an sf
pf 7'4 ralph sampson played the 4
c 7'7 george muresan, manute bol

8) have a mode where you take the best teams never to earn a ring the chance to get a championship. you could have all the best conference and finals losers never to win a championship compete against the teams the beat them.

9) for create a player and my career add goggles as an accessory as well as the face mask.

10)for create a player add hairstyles like flat top, high flat top, and the mohawk design brandon jennings, and dennis rodman's multi color hair designs.

11) for create a player and my career add the ability to create player wingspan or reach. That would add a new dynamic to undersized players that play larger than their position. We see this commonly with undersized power forwards that have wingspans over 7 feet tall and use their athleticism and wingspan to rebound and block shots. We should be able to create that for our my career players. So if I want to make a 6'7 center with a 7'6 wingspan or a 6'0 point guard with a 6'8 wingspan I can. Wingspan plays a factor in the game and should be in there. The minimums and caps can be based on the max and minimum of players at each position in nba history.

12)12)MY player career franchise, season, playoff , and single game records. These should be mentioned in the commentary and be a extra vc or milestone points when you break it. So the post game interviewers and game commentators, and endorsements should mention this. Also, if someone breaks that record they could mention it.
13) Bring back my crew.

# 32 Nodima @ 10/26/12 03:18 PM
I don't mean to be snarky, but they should borrow EA's idea of having their online games play exactly like their offline counterparts. There might be occasional lag in EA's product, as with any potential online co-play, but at least the game feels exactly like the game offline.

With 2K, the latency with shooting has always been obvious (try playing with the Shot Quality chart on and you'll see that 95% of the shots you take will be released to early, even if you release well into the shooting animation (late releases make up less than 1% of your shots, generally only occurring on twitch shooters like prime Shawn Marion). For 2K veterans that's fine, and the franchise sells well as is, but along with the extreme learning curve on controls having to develop an entirely different set of tendencies is just asking way too much for the average basketball fan or people who play a ton of other games but maybe want to own a sports title on the side.

Online games also have a tendency to play at a variety of speeds: some games you enter will play at roughly the same speed as the offline game, while others your players will feel like they're animating in water. I really don't have any idea why this has been considered acceptable by the dev team for so long - I wish they would at least come out and say something like "this is intended to simulate a variety of game types that might occur throughout an 82 game season" so there would be a REASON for it. Again, other online titles have no problem performing the EXACT way they performed last time, EVERY time. When you add the shot release latency to not knowing exactly how long dribble or shot animations are going to take from game to game, it becomes not only frustrating for newcomers but seasoned players as well.

It truly speaks to the quality of their game that I'm probably looking at another 300-400 games of online 2K basketball before this era of 2K basketball is over, despite these two major flaws along with the settings very obviously being on Casual or Pro (after years of Superstar I love Pro on CPU for the past two years, but it just doesn't work with human competition). Most of my grievances these days are actually with the offline product, as I haven't felt any real desire to play an Association since 2K11 (really, 2K10) and have no real interest in MyPlayer or the integration of that mode into every facet of the game, rendering much of it somewhat inaccessible to the offline/internet-less player. But these two things are just crazy.

(Also, as a slightly less catty idea they should borrow: copy whatever script that controls sorting stats in their menus in place of the tech they're using to sort 2KShare items. Sort by ratings and everything is rated 0, with many items being downloaded less than triple digit times. Sort by most downloaded on PS3 right now and your five options will have been downloaded 14, 13, 3100, 2982 and 11 times, respectively. Does that make any sense? That doesn't help anyone that's not spending their time on these boards' roster forums.)

# 33 kjjnesb @ 10/26/12 04:23 PM
"It’s about time for a complete overhaul of NBA 2K’s create a player system."

Hell yes.. I'd like to think the art team at 2K is already had at work on tons of stuff for 2k14.

But when your create a player is worse and more inhuman looking than the WWE games then its surely time for an upgrade lol

# 34 agreene7 @ 10/26/12 04:38 PM
1.) Expansion team!!! I would love to bring back the Sonics and have to build a team in the same way the bobcats did.

2.) Gameface

3.) Weekly wrap up shows. I know EA has the license to ESPN but they could have there own 2k sports version with maybe the insider and some other random person calling the plays like on espn. They had something like this before I think.

# 35 cbball8 @ 10/26/12 05:08 PM
NCAA FOOTBALL'S TEAMBUILDER

Nothing is more fun than designing sick uni's and courts for your favorite teams.

The team creator they have now is seriously lacking i want my team's name on the front!

# 36 Gramps91 @ 10/26/12 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman504
Bring back Pre-Game intros...dim the lights(& Allow custom tracks) and prep the smoke and flames(from the backboards)...

And perhaps allow a pre-game shoot around/lay up drill while commentators talk about the matchups and any other game info
This too 2k, would really like starting lineups like on 2k2

# 37 RustyBlue @ 10/26/12 06:18 PM
Expansion/Relocation (madden)
Ticket, food, parking, ect. costs (Madden)
Free agent bidding (Live)

# 38 ewingandoakley @ 10/26/12 09:13 PM
I agree with all of those concepts. I especially like the licensing music thing and pre game warmups. To have the knicks warming up in a postseason series, hearing Seven Nation Army blaring loud over the speakers and "300 violin orchestra" (not really violins) playing the introduction video, oh my god, it would be amazing. Anyone who has been to a knick game in the past year knows what I am talking about.

# 39 biggiejerseys @ 10/27/12 12:08 AM
Custom soundtracks, like The Show has.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

# 40 blklightning @ 10/27/12 01:31 AM
I loved the Tony Bruno radio show. Would be cool if they did something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
I presume two things. One make a deeper association by adding ticket prices, food prices, etc. Kinda like MVP Baseball 2005 did, a manager aspect to the association if you will

Also, ESPN interface like it used to have in 2k2-2k5. That would be sweet. Like EA has tried to do with their unrealeased NBA titles.
Pretty sure EA has exclusive rights to ESPN at the moment. A right that they love to waste.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.