Home
Tiger 14 News Post

GOLF LEGEND ARNOLD PALMER MAKES FIRST-EVER APPEARANCE
ON THE COVER OF TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 14

New PGA TOUR and LPGA Golfers Also Make Their Debut In Tiger Woods PGA TOUR Franchise

In a historic celebration of the world of golf, Arnold Palmer, “the King,” makes his first appearance alongside Tiger Woods on the cover of Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14. Palmer’s professional career spanned five decades and the box art image is taken from his most prolific years during the 1960’s. Among his many accomplishments, he recorded 92 professional victories during his career with 62 occurring on the PGA TOUR. Included in the total are seven major championships including four Masters, one U.S. Open and two Open Championships. Palmer also has a history with the video game franchise as he was included in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 05 and 06.

Woods has a rich history with the golf icon as he has won the Arnold Palmer Invitational seven times, most recently in 2012 and he has 74 PGA TOUR career wins, second on the all-time list.

Joining legendary golfers, Tiger Woods and Arnold Palmer, as playable characters are a quartet of young rising stars from the PGA TOUR and LPGA. Making their debut in the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR franchise, Keegan Bradley, Bud Cauley, Stacy Lewis and Lexi Thompson will round out a roster of more than 25 professional golfers set to tee off in the upcoming title.

Bradley has won three PGA TOUR events, most notably the 2011 PGA Championship and is one of only three golfers to win in his major debut. He was also named the 2011 PGA TOUR Rookie of the Year and was a member of the 2012 US Ryder Cup team.

Cauley just completed his second professional season and is considered one of the up-and-coming American golfers on the PGA TOUR. The former University of Alabama golfer was a member of the 2009 U.S. Walker Cup team and had six top-10 finishes this season.

The LPGA’s #1 ranked American golfer, and recently named Player of the Year, Lewis, has five professional career wins including a major as her first official professional victory, came at the 2011 Kraft Nabisco Championship. With four LPGA victories this season, 2012 has been a breakout season for Lewis.

In 2011, Thompson won her first LPGA tournament at the Navistar LPGA Classic at the age of 16. She was also the youngest player to qualify for the U.S. Women’s Open as a 12-year old.

EA SPORTS will also be revealing a unique Europe version of the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 box art coming soon.

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 13 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 DivotMaker @ 11/19/12 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
I wish they would get rid of cover athletes entirely. Of course, I wish we got a PGA Tour game instead of a Tiger Woods game. Maybe then it wouldn't basically be a create a superstar game.
Created gofers are not going away anytime soon. EA's telemetry indicates that 87% of all users play with a created golfer over Pro gofers in the game. I'll comment further on this and gameplay improvements when EA begins releasing more information.

# 22 ComfortablyLomb @ 11/20/12 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Created gofers are not going away anytime soon. EA's telemetry indicates that 87% of all users play with a created golfer over Pro gofers in the game. I'll comment further on this and gameplay improvements when EA begins releasing more information.
Good thing I didn't suggest created golfers should be removed. I would now have to disagree with myself if I did. I could create a golfer in PGA Tour Golf II on the Genesis and at this point it's an entrenched and necessary part of a golf video game. If you're suggesting EA needs "telemetry" data to know not to remove the ability to create a golfer, well, they're in more trouble than I thought.

The problem with this game, in large part because it's a Tiger Woods product, is that it is ONLY a superstar creation game. The focus is basically "to be Tiger Woods" and not about playing out Tour Seasons. I'm not saying it should be one or the other, but just that right now it IS one and not the other. I don't have much hope for that changing anytime soon either.

# 23 DivotMaker @ 11/20/12 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
If you're suggesting EA needs "telemetry" data to know not to remove the ability to create a golfer, well, they're in more trouble than I thought.
Not what I was suggesting whatsoever.......just backing up my comments with facts instead of speculation....

# 24 globalbeats7 @ 11/24/12 06:27 PM
it is a shame really. golf is such an ez sport to mimic, compared to others. but unfortunately EA fails to focus on the most important aspect of a golf game, PHYSICS. they fail with ball flight, bounce, spin, and club to ball contact response. lets not forget the oversized clubface, unrealistic putting....terrible camera angles. it all sums up to being an arcadic golf game. Ive always played on tourney difficulty with putting meter off and even no green grids. yet, its still nothing like a golf sim. There are times where the game is fun, esp online against like minded players. but after a while the high scores become problematic even on the highest of difficulties.

# 25 DivotMaker @ 11/24/12 07:07 PM
If Golf was such an easy sport to program for, why are there not more Golf games being developed? The short answer is you are wrong.

Every criticism you mention above has been improved in TW14. I'll be interested to see how low you go on the highest difficulty level in TW14. What I played last week was far and away more challenging than TW13 in Tournament Mode. And as I left EA last week, they were working on making the most challenging mode even more difficult for release, based upon mine and others feedback......

# 26 Steve_OS @ 11/25/12 11:48 AM
Everyone remain calm. It's a golf game. Let's all try to help make the game better, instead of tearing apart a new game that hasn't even been released.

# 27 DivotMaker @ 11/26/12 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Arnie on the cover.... nicccccce.

EA finally going after that 80+ yo market share!!
If you had any idea how many users have asked to have the Legends back in the game (last time in 05/06) then you would maybe understand why they brought them back.....there is more to the Legends than just Arnie and the other Golfers.....

# 28 rangerrick012 @ 11/26/12 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
If Golf was such an easy sport to program for, why are there not more Golf games being developed?
It could also be because outside of Tiger, golf lacks the appeal to really sell well among people that buy video games. Most people that like golf have the means to go out and play it themselves and would rather do that than spend the money on a video game. Not saying that's the only reason, but it certainly is a factor that you gloss over with your assertion.

# 29 DivotMaker @ 11/26/12 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
It could also be because outside of Tiger, golf lacks the appeal to really sell well among people that buy video games. Most people that like golf have the means to go out and play it themselves and would rather do that than spend the money on a video game. Not saying that's the only reason, but it certainly is a factor that you gloss over with your assertion.
No question Golf video games are a niche' product. I certainly don't think I "glossed over" anything considering the post I was responding to......

# 30 DivotMaker @ 11/26/12 02:36 PM
Quote:
I.... was.... making.... a......joke.

Pretty hard to determine that when taking your post at face value......

# 31 DivotMaker @ 11/26/12 06:36 PM
Quote:
There's an 80+ yo market share for vid games? C'mon now.
Who said there was an 80+ year old market? I didn't. The Legends is for ALL Golf fans regardless of age. It is hard to have an interest in Golf without knowing something about or have an interest in the Legends......The last time the Legends were in the game, the game sold very well. There are quite a few features they have added that I can't talk about yet that make the Legends interesting to the hardcore offline and online user. EA also has a great deal of feedback from users of ALL ages asking for the Legends to return to the game.....you want to make something out of this that it isn't, go right ahead.

# 32 lnin0 @ 11/26/12 08:25 PM
Who gives a rats what golfers are on the cover if it plays as bad and buggy as it did last year. They should put a refund for last years game on the cover.

Like all EA Sports titles they aim for the middle and end up with some homogenized junk that is attractive to everyone and pleasing to nobody. Great for marketing. **** for gameplay.

# 33 8iron @ 11/26/12 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
This is funny. You claim that real golfers have the means to go out and play real golf, but wouldn't spend the money on a video game. Most people who have the means to play golf have some means left over for a video game or 3.

I am a real golfer, living in the Northeast where real golf isn't really pleasant until mid-April to early May most years, sure I'll squeeze in a round if it hits 50 in February but the real golf season is May-Sept. The new TW fills a void for me in March every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
Who gives a rats what golfers are on the cover if it plays as bad and buggy as it did last year. They should put a refund for last years game on the cover.

Like all EA Sports titles they aim for the middle and end up with some homogenized junk that is attractive to everyone and pleasing to nobody. Great for marketing. **** for gameplay.
You clearly didn't play 13 and probably not an EA game for a while. TW13 was a terrific game that I poured hours into and still play regularly. Tournaments are still seeing plenty of activity. There were some bugs and some things left out or taken out that I wish were in, but the game was solid, a big step forward over 12 which was very good itself, and by far the best iteration of TW in the swing stick era. I also really like Madden, FIFA, NHL and while I haven't bought NCAA football in a while, I play 11 occasionally still as well. And Fight Night...and....

# 34 SinisterAlex @ 11/27/12 10:24 AM
Quote:
You're taking this way too ****ing seriously. Seriously.
Or maybe you are... he is simply stating why legends are back. I'm 20 and I know who Sam Sneed is, Palmer, Nicklaus, Hogan, Jones, Watson, etc. You don't need to be 80 to know who they are or what they have done for the game of golf.

I think you're then one who is taking this to seriously.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

# 35 lnin0 @ 11/27/12 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8iron
You clearly didn't play 13 and probably not an EA game for a while. TW13 was a terrific game that I poured hours into and still play regularly. Tournaments are still seeing plenty of activity. There were some bugs and some things left out or taken out that I wish were in, but the game was solid, a big step forward over 12 which was very good itself, and by far the best iteration of TW in the swing stick era. I also really like Madden, FIFA, NHL and while I haven't bought NCAA football in a while, I play 11 occasionally still as well. And Fight Night...and....
Clearly 13 is sitting on the shelf in front of me collecting dust.

A few bugs...you mean, like where half of your approach shots that land near a tree or water or bunker edge or ant hill will magically reappear yards away in a clear flat green space - or worse are counted as a penalty drop ball - because EA can't get an animation to work when the player is forced into any odd stance. Yeah, just little bugs like that.

Of course..you can't expect EA to have the animations perfect considering how 'new' the TW engine is and all the other things they have to focus on .... like cover boys and sound tracks.

I stopped playing because 13 was flat out boring to me. With a lack of decent physics, the only way EA could figure out how to make this homogenized eye candy minimally challenging was to make you play by feel and in a wind storm... and even then it is pretty easy to score under par. Its about zero fun to play in a tornado every time. Maybe instead of spending money on marketing cover boys they could pay someone who knows how to program a challenging and fun physics engine.

I stopped buying Madden a couple years ago for the similar reasons and this year I switched from FIFA to PES. EA spends their money to attract your eyes and wallet only.

For me, longevity does not come from a mindless grind for new and worthless trinkets - no matter how pretty. Call me old fashion, but a games ability to always be a challenge is what keeps me coming back. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you. It is that uncertainty - that challenge - that has been market researched out of EA games for fear of turning some least common denominator away. No true varied degree of difficulty in EA games...just varied degrees of AI cheat.

# 36 DivotMaker @ 11/28/12 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
Clearly 13 is sitting on the shelf in front of me collecting dust.

A few bugs...you mean, like where half of your approach shots that land near a tree or water or bunker edge or ant hill will magically reappear yards away in a clear flat green space - or worse are counted as a penalty drop ball - because EA can't get an animation to work when the player is forced into any odd stance. Yeah, just little bugs like that.

Of course..you can't expect EA to have the animations perfect considering how 'new' the TW engine is and all the other things they have to focus on .... like cover boys and sound tracks.
To be blunt, the animation system in TW13 was brand new and was needed with the new TSC swing mechanic. Putting new code into a heavily modified existing code brings about all sorts of fun things like the issue described above. Should it have been released in that state? No. That being said, I never experienced anywhere near the frequency you claim you experienced, but I'll take your word for it. At the end of the day, it was a very annoying issue and I can't blame anyone for complaining about it.

However, I can report that the vast majority of these issues have been fixed with rare exceptions based on my 4 days with the game. With another 7 weeks or so of bug fixing and polish, they hope to have this issue resolved completely in TW14....

# 37 RumbleCard @ 11/28/12 08:47 PM
I definitely thought 13 was an attractive game. With a few improvements I definitely think it has the potential to play nice and clean for 14.

As mentioned above that's not the most fundamental issues facing the series. The game isn't fun and doesn't have a really high replay value. I know most of us who love golf will surely spend a few weeks to a few months playing but after that the game grows woefully stale. I couldn't even begin to tell you how to make a game like golf more fun but there's certainly a need for a significant overall here.

# 38 DivotMaker @ 11/29/12 10:20 AM
Quote:
The problem with all of these sports games is they all locked themselves into being released too early by attaching the year to the version name. Now customers expect a release every year despite all of the bugs. So every sports game every year gets tons of complaints.
It is a Catch-22 situation due to licensing. Virtually all the licensing agreements require a new version to be released every year. EA nor any other sports game publisher wants to create a new version without new features, so they are under the gun regardless and this is going to be an issue from now on unless there are changes negotiated in licensing agreements to address this. It is not an excuse, but a reality and some would say a "curse".....

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.