Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Bryce Harper has been announced as the first candidate for the MLB 13 The Show cover, which will be voted on by fans.

In this Kotaku article, Bryce talks about the possibility of being the MLB 13 The Show cover athlete. Ramone Russell and Owen Good give us a few more details about the game, including a few nuggets about Beginner Mode, fielding, hit timing and a complex formula in the game's franchise mode.

Quote:
Russell said hitting timing will be adjusted slightly in MLB 13 The Show to give batters a more satisfying payoff on solid contact. "You're going to see more offense like you do in real life," he said, addressing criticisms that The Show's rigorous contact physics last year made the game a station-to-station game of base hits for most novices. "If you square up on a fastball, it's going to be hit harder than it was before," Russell added. "People are going to be very surprised."

Other upgrades Russell described involved a complex formula in the game's franchise mode, whereby team payroll—i.e., management's willingness to spend—will expand or contract relative to the team's success, and not just because a team made the playoffs or won a World Series. Teams like the Padres will never spend like teams like the Yankees, and vice versa. But especially in Road to the Show, if you end up in a small market or a perennial loser, and take them to a breakout season, you have a reasonable hope of seeing management spend for a supporting cast to get your club further into October, without stranding you there until you become an unrestricted free agent.

Source - No Longer a Rookie, Bryce Harper Wants to Welcome You to The Show (Kotaku)

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 adamj2281 @ 12/12/12 08:59 PM
Nice news, my biggest/only issues with The Show sound like they will both be fixed this year (lack of playoff atmosphere and franchise budgets).

So, Russell, in terms of budgets, and I know you can't divulge much, will the budgets be tight enough so that mid-level teams like the Braves will actually have to stick to a pretty tight budget and can't overspend on free agents?

Also, any incentive based contracts

# 42 tnixen @ 12/12/12 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp4baseball
2x right?
Hopfully 10X better lol

# 43 fanofikedavis @ 12/12/12 09:14 PM
If any 20 year old rookie of the year outfielder deserves it, it's Trout.

As a Met fan, it would be awesome to see Dickey on the cover with his knuckle ball grip.

# 44 blueduke @ 12/12/12 09:15 PM
Russell, first let me thank you and the SCEA team on creating a fantastic baseball sim. It's brought me many hours of enjoyment and I look forward to it every spring. Have a question....will we be able to create a roster and bypass spring training straight to opening day with our lineups and pitching rotations intact? Thanks in advance

# 45 kennyacid @ 12/12/12 09:54 PM
Those who are saying they will not get the game if he's on it really didn't want the game in the first place.

# 46 bp4baseball @ 12/12/12 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyacid
Those who are saying they will not get the game if he's on it really didn't want the game in the first place.
Or are just trying to get attention.

# 47 Knight165 @ 12/12/12 09:59 PM
or just kidding around.

M.K.
Knight165

# 48 Russell_SCEA @ 12/12/12 10:21 PM
Braces
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj2281
Nice news, my biggest/only issues with The Show sound like they will both be fixed this year (lack of playoff atmosphere and franchise budgets).

So, Russell, in terms of budgets, and I know you can't divulge much, will the budgets be tight enough so that mid-level teams like the Braves will actually have to stick to a pretty tight budget and can't overspend on free agents?

Also, any incentive based contracts
No invective based contracts.

# 49 Russell_SCEA @ 12/12/12 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduke
Russell, first let me thank you and the SCEA team on creating a fantastic baseball sim. It's brought me many hours of enjoyment and I look forward to it every spring. Have a question....will we be able to create a roster and bypass spring training straight to opening day with our lineups and pitching rotations intact? Thanks in advance
Even if we added a bypass for spring training the CPU would change the lineups after the first injury or when a player needed a day of rest.

We've added team specific lineup logic and the teams will base the lineups of what they value the most.

# 50 Nexgenrulz @ 12/12/12 10:40 PM
I assume the new playoff format will make it in, right? Anyway, as usual, can't wait for 13!! Thanks for stopping by Russell. Always a pleasure.

# 51 SDPadres2012 @ 12/12/12 11:39 PM
Just watch! Mike Trout, who had a WAY, WAY better rookie year than Harper, pry isn't even going to get nominated. It's east coast biasm at it's finest. Let's go Trout!

# 52 Russell_SCEA @ 12/12/12 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by queman11
Russell, in Franchise, are the promos expanded and will they be integrated in to the actual gameplay? FOr example if it's bobblehead night, I would like to select, say Mike Trout and have it show on the Jumbotron

The promotion aspect of Franchise mode was removed in favor in a complete re-design of scouting, player progression/regression, and incentive based budget increases/decreases.

Previously in the show you would set all those prices for hot dogs, bobble heads, etc... have 100 million in funds that you couldn't spend on player personnel decisions. It was kind of pointless and we needed the memory for the core a.i. rewrites that were done this year for the season modes.

# 53 sydrogerdavid @ 12/12/12 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
The promotion aspect of Franchise mode was removed in favor in a complete resigned of scouting, player progression/regression, and incentive based budget increases/decreases.

Previously in the show you would set all those prices for hot dogs, bobble heads, etc... have 100 million in funds that you couldn't spend on player personnel decisions. It was kind of pointless and we needed the memory for the core a.i. rewrites that were done this year for the season modes.
Excellent move if you ask me. That stuff was fun back on the PS2, just pointless/busywork now.

# 54 Knight165 @ 12/13/12 12:15 AM
Quote:
The promotion aspect of Franchise mode was removed in favor in a complete re-design of scouting, player progression/regression, and incentive based budget increases/decreases.

Step 1!
(and something tells me there is a bit more)

M.K.
Knight165

# 55 yanksdaniel99 @ 12/13/12 12:52 AM
Probably a little too early to ask this, but, will we finally be able to change potential as an option when editing players ? It's quite tedious having to copy/create a new player just to change potential.

Also *fingers crossed* it sounds like maybe we got a more true to real life dynamic potential/progression feature in.

# 56 Russell_SCEA @ 12/13/12 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksdaniel99
Probably a little too early to ask this, but, will we finally be able to change potential as an option when editing players ? It's quite tedious having to copy/create a new player just to change potential.

Also *fingers crossed* it sounds like maybe we got a more true to real life dynamic potential/progression feature in.
No on changing potential as it would unbalance the game and cause some budget issues.

The game tries to keep the same number of A/B/C/D potential players in the league every year. So when a couple of A potential players retire it will generate new ones in the next draft and vice versa.

If we allowed users to change potentials there would be more than a few nasty side effects right now. The most important one is player contracts are largely determined by a players overall and if you started editing guys and making some extra A rated players 5 years down the line there will be some problems with budgets and highly rated players not being signed by teams.

# 57 seanjeezy @ 12/13/12 01:42 AM
Quote:
No on changing potential as it would unbalance the game and cause some budget issues.

The game tries to keep the same number of A/B/C/D potential players in the league every year. So when a couple of A potential players retire it will generate new ones in the next draft and vice versa.

If we allowed users to change potentials there would be more than a few nasty side effects right now. The most important one is player contracts are largely determined by a players overall and if you started editing guys and making some extra A rated players 5 years down the line there will be some problems with budgets and highly rated players not being signed by teams.
Damn, so the draft is still tied to retirements and contracts are still overall based... Not really what I was hoping to hear but oh well, I'm really excited about what has potentially changed about player progression/regression, hopefully its something along the lines of incorporating a proper age curve and making potential independent of overall... There needs to be a way to create high ceiling, low floor prospects!

# 58 kennyacid @ 12/13/12 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
or just kidding around.

M.K.
Knight165
Or just.... I've got nothing lol

# 59 nomo17k @ 12/13/12 03:36 AM
Quote:
Russell said hitting timing will be adjusted slightly in MLB 13 The Show to give batters a more satisfying payoff on solid contact. "You're going to see more offense like you do in real life," he said, addressing criticisms that The Show's rigorous contact physics last year made the game a station-to-station game of base hits for most novices. "If you square up on a fastball, it's going to be hit harder than it was before," Russell added. "People are going to be very surprised."
I hope this won't end up making the game overall easier though. (I'm one of those masochistic player who enjoys failing 70% of my at bats.)

Nothing against making it more approachable for beginners and I do think the Show should've been doing much more in that regard... something like PYS does introducing all the game controls with intro practice modes.

I feel the higher difficulty levels (All-star and above) are mostly well balanced the way they are.

# 60 Bobhead @ 12/13/12 03:56 AM
There definitely was room for improvement last year though. Hopefully 2.0 fixes the line drive percentages and whatnot.

And I agree with the timing window being expanded. The timing was just too minute when it came to intentionally swinging early or late to pull or slap balls, respectively.

I hope the scouting stuff is also simplified a little for those of us who play franchise for the short-term (eg play more games and sim fewer)? I just didn't have the time to stay on top of it, and always ended up forgetting to update scouts and everything, so I found it better to just leave the AI to handle all of that stuff.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.