Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Kotaku's Owen Good has posted his hands-on impressions of Beginner Mode in MLB 13 The Show. After reading his article, let us know what you think about the mode.

Quote:
... Beginner Mode grew out of developers' desire to chip away at The Show's intimidating reputation, not only to newcomers, but also to veterans who found some aspect of it difficult. This typically is hitting, an art that requires a ton of patience, something a video game experience rarely fosters.

With Beginner Mode turned on, you'll play a nine-inning game regularly. The pitchers' and hitters' behavior will be different depending on how far along you are in your progress. I was handed the controller to play Detroit versus the New York Yankees, switching sides between innings to hit against C.C. Sabathia (announced Thursday as The Shows second cover candidate, joining Washington's Bryce Harper) and Justin Verlander. You can apply Beginner Mode to any matchup involving any two teams.

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 inkcil @ 12/17/12 04:32 PM
Shoulda just added some kinda arade mode...users who try Rookie level difficulty and STILL complain about the difficulty are just looking for an altogether different experience. An arcade-like mode would have been a PERFECT side addition to the game.

# 82 ghm125 @ 12/17/12 05:06 PM
more people the better! as long as they are not clogging the online part of the game up!have some little grandsons who may "DIG" this mode,and get them interested fully in baseball?....

# 83 rudyjuly2 @ 12/17/12 05:11 PM
This mode doesn't look very helpful at all IMO. People's difficulty with hitting would be made easier if they truly slowed the pitch speed down on the lower levels or offered a batter's eye mechanic that tipped the pitch type to the batter (and not guess pitch which I hate).

The Show IS difficult and there are better ways to handle it. My kids can pick up Mario super sluggers and have a good time right away. I've seen baseball video game veterans get frustrated hitting on the lower difficulty levels in this game. The lower difficulty levels aren't really set up properly IMO.

# 84 HustlinOwl @ 12/17/12 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
This mode doesn't look very helpful at all IMO. People's difficulty with hitting would be made easier if they truly slowed the pitch speed down on the lower levels or offered a batter's eye mechanic that tipped the pitch type to the batter (and not guess pitch which I hate).

The Show IS difficult and there are better ways to handle it. My kids can pick up Mario super sluggers and have a good time right away. I've seen baseball video game veterans get frustrated hitting on the lower difficulty levels in this game. The lower difficulty levels aren't really set up properly IMO.
My 8yr old son doesnt want mario anything and I dont blame him neither did I when bases loaded came out.

# 85 Money99 @ 12/17/12 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
My 8yr old son doesnt want mario anything and I dont blame him neither did I when bases loaded came out.
But Bases Loaded wasn't as difficult as games are today.

Those games back then only used 2 buttons.

There's no reason The Show couldn't have a 'Beginners Mode' where the ball was pitched much slower and easier for anyone to hack at.

# 86 Bahnzo @ 12/17/12 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
I've played for years and getting the swing of the hitting game down is tough. I'm still not where I want to be.

Look, you think you're the Second Comming; we get that. For the 99% of us who are mere mortals, this mode is a great way to get into the game.
I don't think I've ever said I was "the Second Comming" (sic). I just said there's already mechanics in place to improve your hitting. This new "mode" really doesn't improve on that.

I like what RudyJuly says above about further slowing the pitch speed (which I really think needs done, my old eyes and reactions could use another notch lower) and/or the pitch recognition/batter's eye for the lowest level. To me, both those in conjunction with what's already in place would be much better IMO.

# 87 Russell_SCEA @ 12/17/12 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
I don't think I've ever said I was "the Second Comming" (sic). I just said there's already mechanics in place to improve your hitting. This new "mode" really doesn't improve on that.

I like what RudyJuly says above about further slowing the pitch speed (which I really think needs done, my old eyes and reactions could use another notch lower) and/or the pitch recognition/batter's eye for the lowest level. To me, both those in conjunction with what's already in place would be much better IMO.
The pitch speed has been lowered across the board along with a much wider timing window in conjunction with the addition of beginner mode. It was only part of the equation.

# 88 seanjeezy @ 12/17/12 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
The pitch speed has been lowered across the board along with a much wider timing window in conjunction with the addition of beginner mode. It was only part of the equation.
Even for HOF and Legend? (I'm hoping you say no...)

# 89 Russell_SCEA @ 12/17/12 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Even for HOF and Legend? (I'm hoping you say no...)
Yes but Legend is harder this year than it was last year. We've been re-balancing every difficulty since the changes went in back in April.

# 90 nomo17k @ 12/18/12 01:19 AM
Quote:
Yes but Legend is harder this year than it was last year. We've been re-balancing every difficulty since the changes went in back in April.
Not that I can consistently play well at Pitch Speed slider at max, but I hope the slider adjustment can bring pitch speed to where it has been. For example, if the Pitch Speed slider adjustments are such that

10 = 95 mph in game feels close to 95 mph in real life
5 = 95 mph in game actually is closer to 85 mph in real life
0 = 95 mph in game actually is closer to 75 mph in real life

then slowing pitch speed for lower

10 = 95 mph in game feels close to 95 mph in real life
5 = 95 mph in game actually is closer to 80 mph in real life
0 = 95 mph in game actually is closer to 65 mph in real life

so that we can still get to real-life speed at the slider maxed out. That way the game still caters to everyone while making easier for someone wanting slower speeds...

I don't know if I can play with the slider maxed out anymore, but I like watching games at real-life speed.

# 91 rjackson @ 12/18/12 08:39 PM
Quote:
It's actually very very necessary this new feature isn't really for anyone on this site. We do extensive post morterms with all types of groups of gamers and one of the most consistent thing we've heard the past three years is the game isn't very accessible. Especially when it comes to hitting.

Making rookie easier (which we have done two years straight) isnt' the answer it's just an easier difficulty setting. That's not the issue people are having hence why we designed a new mode to help ease (those who need it) into the hitting portion of the game.

The purpose of beginner mode is to teach someone how to hit by starting out with squaring up on a fast ball down the middle of the plate and gradually working into fast ball placement. Eventually working into pitch recognition ball recognition and pitcher tendencies. Making the game easier accomplishes none of these issues.

Now your comment about the resources you really have no idea what you are talking about here. It's December we choose to talk about specific things during this time and this year it's beginner mode. The design and art work needed for feature completion is minimal when compared to the work that was done to franchise and RTTS. That's not even taking into account the other features and improvements that haven't been announced yet.
I love it when Russell stops by...thank you and to any/all devs who are willing to listen to our little group here.

As for this mode, it is a solid managerial decision that Bahnzo and other smart people would get on board with if they had all of the information that SCEA has, I am confident of that. Consider it an investment into the serie's future, if nothing else. If the consumer base shrinks instead of grows, then there will be less resources available to put in the improvements you might want in the future or the series could go away completely.

tbh, I'm going to do it to see where it puts me on difficulty and heck, I might even learn something. I use classic timing etc. to keep player's skills as the most important factor rather than mine so this might not even be made for me. Yet, I'm still doing it and with an open mind.

Is it dynamic at least as far as it might suggest putting a player at HoF level pitching but All-Star level for hitting?

# 92 HustlinOwl @ 12/27/12 08:31 PM
http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/27/38...-beginner-mode

Quote:
The idea of Beginner Mode is smart not only because it slowly introduces you to the elements of hitting — recognizing pitch location, type and speed — but also because it gives novice players something they've never felt before in an MLB The Show game: success at the start, as opposed to frustration. For a newbie, going up against a guy like Verlander is usually a fool's errand destined to end in failure. But on Beginner Mode, that player can get an instant confidence boost by getting some hits off one of baseball's best pitchers.

# 93 @legendm0de @ 01/07/13 12:21 PM
Quote:
oh yea? bring it ONNNNNNNN ! *joe swanson voice*

i haven't tinkered with pitch speed sliders, it felt accurate, but I've also never stood in front of a real mid-90s fast ball before either. I hope that whatever is done to them will keep the pitching and speed accurate. If not, i will fish around here and see what they are saying about this issue

# 94 dickey1331 @ 01/07/13 04:57 PM
I think an important aspect of this mode is it will make the game more fun for new buyers. The Show can be frustrating at first and we all buy games to have fun. Nothing wrong with that. Some people just get mad when a game company makes a feature that they wont use no matter how good or bad it is.

# 95 Cavicchi @ 01/08/13 09:35 AM
Is this beginner's mode only for hitting or is it also for pitching?

# 96 Curahee @ 01/08/13 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
It's not meant for veterans of the series or guys who feel like they have a handle on hitting.

M.K.
Knight165
I let a friend borrow my '12 and he's having a tough time at it being from 2K & 360.
This is great mode for guys like him who are new to The Show.

But I love reading how some people are mad about SCEA adding a mode they dont have to use,
If you dont like it or dont need it, then dont use it, it wasnt intended for YOU.

Obviously, SCEA is trying to cater to 2K fans and make their transition that much easier.

# 97 Cavicchi @ 01/08/13 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
I let a friend borrow my '12 and he's having a tough time at it being from 2K & 360.
This is great mode for guys like him who are new to The Show.

But I love reading how some people are mad about SCEA adding a mode they dont have to use,
If you dont like it or dont need it, then dont use it, it wasnt intended for YOU.

Obviously, SCEA is trying to cater to 2K fans and make their transition that much easier.
How is your friend doing with pitching?

# 98 Curahee @ 01/08/13 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
How is your friend doing with pitching?
I think pretty well. He is having more issues with hitting though.
I told him to keep trying and to "dumb down" the settings to give him a way unfair advantage vs the CPU. I really want him to get '13. It took me 3 yrs to convince him to buy a PS3 and now Im workin on TheShow.

Im converting one at a time, my friends, one at a time!

# 99 Cavicchi @ 01/08/13 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
I think pretty well. He is having more issues with hitting though.
I told him to keep trying and to "dumb down" the settings to give him a way unfair advantage vs the CPU. I really want him to get '13. It took me 3 yrs to convince him to buy a PS3 and now Im workin on TheShow.

Im converting one at a time, my friends, one at a time!
I had more trouble with pitching than hitting. When I used the pitcher view, the hot zones were difficult to discern because the catcher had red. The only way I could see hot zones clearly was using the catcher view, which I didn't like too much.

# 100 Curahee @ 01/08/13 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I had more trouble with pitching than hitting. When I used the pitcher view, the hot zones were difficult to discern because the catcher had red. The only way I could see hot zones clearly was using the catcher view, which I didn't like too much.
OK, this is just my opinion, so dont anybody get all bent out of shape over it.
The hot/cold zones are overrated. I think its all about pitch selection, pitch location and pitch accuracy. I cant tell you how many times Ive fired a fastball right down the middle and struck guys out.
For me, I play Analog Pitching, Pitching View on Legend. To me thats the most fun.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.