Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

In a shocking development, baseball is coming to the Xbox 360 in 2013 after all. 2K Sports has just announced MLB 2K13 will arrive on March 5th, 2013 for 360 and PS3. Kotaku's Owen Good picked up on the story earlier this morning. Check out the official press release below.

Official Press Release

2K Sports Announces Major League Baseball 2K13 and Return of the Perfect Game Challenge

Cy Young Award Winner and Tampa Bay Rays` ace David Price named cover athlete

2K Sports today announced that the Company has reached an agreement with Major League Baseball, the Major League Baseball Players Association, and Major League Baseball Advanced Media to release Major League Baseball 2K13, the next iteration of the popular MLB 2K franchise. MLB 2K13 will be available on March 5, 2013,for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation3 computer entertainment system.

"We`d like to thank our league partners for their support in helping us reach an agreement to bring back MLB 2K," said Jason Argent, vice president of marketing for 2K Sports. "We know fans are extremely passionate about the MLB 2K series and the Perfect Game Challenge."

David Price, ace pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays, has been selected as the cover athlete for MLB 2K13. Price was recently named the American League Cy Young Award winner after posting a 20-5 record and league-best 2.56 ERA. Price edged out MLB 2K12 cover athlete Justin Verlander for the honors, and is the third consecutive reigning Cy Young Award winner to grace the cover of an MLB 2K game.

"It`s a dream come true to appear on the cover of MLB 2K13," concluded Price, who helped lead the Rays to their fourth 90-win season in the last five years. "I`m looking forward to working with the 2K Sports team again, and welcoming another skilled gamer into `The Perfect Club.`"

The Perfect Game Challenge*, 2K Sports` groundbreaking $1 million competition, will also be returning for a fourth consecutive year and introduce a new contest format with exciting ways to win. Since 2010, 2K Sports has awarded $3 million in prize money to players exhibiting the highest caliber of skill in throwing a perfect game in MLB 2K. Last year`s Perfect Game Challenge achieved record participation numbers, with nearly 1 million attempts made and more than 1,000 perfect games registered. The contest was won by 21-year-old Christopher Gilmore, who prevailed in an eight-person tournament at the MLB FanCave in New York City. Complete details of this year`s contest will be announced at a later date.

Developed by Visual Concepts, a 2K Sports studio, MLB2K13 is not yet rated by the ESRB and will be available on March 5, 2013 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system.

For more information on 2K Sports, visit www.2KSports.com.

For more information on MLB 2K13, visit http://www.facebook.com/MLB2K.

Source - There Will Be Baseball on the Xbox 360; Major League Baseball 2K13 Returns (Kotaku)

Major League Baseball 2K13 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 pistolpete @ 01/10/13 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
The biggest change in 2K12 was the way pitches lost their effectiveness if you overused them. It created a necessity to really think out your strategy per hitter, and it was surprisingly realistic.
I completely agree. It's amazing how often I'll throw a 40-rated pitch out of the zone just to keep the hitter honest. This beefs up pitch counts and really makes pitching a challenge.

# 122 pietasterp @ 01/11/13 12:17 AM
Where MLB2k has always excelled is in the pitching. What has traditionally been the most boring part of baseball games was by far the most fun aspect of the MLB2k games after they went to the gesture-based analog pitching. Since baseball is largely a 1-on-1 duel between pitchers and hitters, making pitching the most fun part of the game was borderline revolutionary - it's like if a football game somehow made playing defense more fun than offense. As much as I rag on the MLB2k franchise, their pitcher-hitter duel has been the best in the biz for the past several years.

# 123 Knight165 @ 01/11/13 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
I really never felt that when I played it. It wasn't bad, but I don't feel it was anything special either. I've never physically felt the pressure while batting in MLB 2K12. It didn't suck me in.
Me neither and it's definitely my favorite part of playing BB games.

M.K.
Knight165

# 124 Money99 @ 01/11/13 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Where MLB2k has always excelled is in the pitching. What has traditionally been the most boring part of baseball games was by far the most fun aspect of the MLB2k games after they went to the gesture-based analog pitching. Since baseball is largely a 1-on-1 duel between pitchers and hitters, making pitching the most fun part of the game was borderline revolutionary - it's like if a football game somehow made playing defense more fun than offense. As much as I rag on the MLB2k franchise, their pitcher-hitter duel has been the best in the biz for the past several years.
That's exactly what sucked me into the 2K series.
In previous baseball games, I got really bored once I had to take the mound. Not with 2K.
With the analog pitching and the dynamic tendencies, I was actually looking forward to getting back on the bump.
I'm not sure I can ever go back to any baseball game that doesn't offer this kind of analog pitching.

# 125 pistolpete @ 01/11/13 09:08 AM
I just spent the better part of 8 hours yesterday updating rosters for the PC for 2k12 and modding it and checking the rosters for stability. A lot of the 2kshare rosters cause crashes, so I did what I could do without the editor.

I am also going to save myself $55 and just snag 2k7 for old time's sake for the 360.

Enjoy 2k13 guys. I bet it will be fun, and don't let the show folks bother you.

# 126 GnarlyKing @ 01/11/13 09:51 AM
I'm glad to see this. 2k's baseball game may not be the most realistic, but the last several years it's usually been the most fun for me. Unless it turns out broken I'll pick up the 360 version. I am disappointed at the lack of a Wii U version, although with the short developement time it's understandable. Being able to play on the gamepad while watching a game would've been nice though.

# 127 mkharsh33 @ 01/11/13 09:56 AM
If you lower the user pitch accuracy down to ZERO...

...and you raise the cpu hitting power and contact sliders to give you simulation baseball...

TRUST ME - in 2K12 EACH at-bat will literally put fear in you. Even with user pitching accuracy you can hit your spots, BUT you have to think like a pitcher and use the help given on-screen.

I don't know... I guess it just gets me that 1) this thread turns into a comparison of The Show, and 2) how can we continually bash the hell out of this game...

Look - I get it... The show is the "holy grail" of video baseball games. I've never played it, I've only seen a handful of pictures of it, and I've never even walked over to a PS3 at the mall and gave it a go. And I never will... We can complain here all we want, but if the dev's never come here to look at this stuff, it's all for not.

Maybe my standards are low - I don't know. But what I do know is this game is the funnest baseball game I've played since MVP Baseball 05 for the original xbox (that I would continually get the updated rosters from a MVPMods). The graphics are beautiful (yeah, like everyone else I wish the color palette was expanded) and the commentary is immense. The game has its flaws... But show me a game without them. I'm not a 2K apologist. But I've also given up on most of my EA sports titles because they've went downhill terribly.

We'll just need to wait and see what 2K13 looks like - as I see I'm in the minority on this, and I'm willing to wait and even have high hopes they've cleaned some things up from 12. Even if it's a cleaned up version of 12, with updated rosters (that I'll no doubt work on again this year), and adding the Astros to the AL - I'll be happy enough.

# 128 Money99 @ 01/11/13 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33

...and you raise the cpu hitting power and contact sliders to give you simulation baseball...

TRUST ME - in 2K12 EACH at-bat will literally put fear in you. Even with user pitching accuracy you can hit your spots, BUT you have to think like a pitcher and use the help given on-screen.

I don't know... I guess it just gets me that 1) this thread turns into a comparison of The Show, and 2) how can we continually bash the hell out of this game...

Look - I get it... The show is the "holy grail" of video baseball games. I've never played it, I've only seen a handful of pictures of it, and I've never even walked over to a PS3 at the mall and gave it a go. And I never will... We can complain here all we want, but if the dev's never come here to look at this stuff, it's all for not.

Maybe my standards are low - I don't know. But what I do know is this game is the funnest baseball game I've played since MVP Baseball 05 for the original xbox (that I would continually get the updated rosters from a MVPMods). The graphics are beautiful (yeah, like everyone else I wish the color palette was expanded) and the commentary is immense. The game has its flaws... But show me a game without them. I'm not a 2K apologist. But I've also given up on most of my EA sports titles because they've went downhill terribly.

We'll just need to wait and see what 2K13 looks like - as I see I'm in the minority on this, and I'm willing to wait and even have high hopes they've cleaned some things up from 12. Even if it's a cleaned up version of 12, with updated rosters (that I'll no doubt work on again this year), and adding the Astros to the AL - I'll be happy enough.
Awesome post. Hit all the topics perfectly.

I get annoyed too that whenever there's any news about MLB2K, a few Show zealots have to slither over and get their jabs in.
I'm not sure why they do that, but then again I have a life and a brain so I suppose that makes it impossible for me to understand their ways.

# 129 Knight165 @ 01/11/13 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Awesome post. Hit all the topics perfectly.

I get annoyed too that whenever there's any news about MLB2K, a few Show zealots have to slither over and get their jabs in.
I'm not sure why they do that, but then again I have a life and a brain so I suppose that makes it impossible for me to understand their ways.
Honestly, I think you guys bring up The Show more often than anyone.

M.K.
Knight165

# 130 Money99 @ 01/11/13 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

M.K.
Knight165
Only when it's brought up first.

And it's not even close to how often Show fans come in here to bash the game, compared to 2k fans doing the same over there.

# 131 tvman @ 01/11/13 11:36 AM
I agree totally.

We lowly 2k gamers should just be thankful that there is group of extremely knowledgeable baseball gamers that are good enough to come into these forums to inform us of the good things we are missing out on and how we should keep our enthusiasm in check.

# 132 nemesis04 @ 01/11/13 12:25 PM
Quote:
You don't understand. The Show guys just understand baseball on a much deeper level than fans of 2K. We benefit greatly from their takes, which boils down to either:

A) 2K baseball is an embarrassment
B) It's so nice that you guys have neat little pick up and play game that you don't have to think too hard about

The benefits of their insight is immense. We clearly need to be kept in check. Otherwise one of us may mention that we prefer 2K over the other game without someone from the other forum coming to re-educate us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
I agree totally.

We lowly 2k gamers should just be thankful that there is group of extremely knowledgeable baseball gamers that are good enough to come into these forums to inform us of the good things we are missing out on and how we should keep our enthusiasm in check.
Hahaha you guys are funny!

# 133 mkharsh33 @ 01/11/13 12:41 PM
Quote:
You don't understand. The Show guys just understand baseball on a much deeper level than fans of 2K.
This is the biggest crock of horsecrap I've ever seen posted at OS. This one really shows arrogance in its fullest example. Wow...smh. You are so far from the truth it's pathetic. I don't have the $$$$$$$$$$ to purchase two systems... It has nothing to do with "knowledge" of baseball. What a stupid comment...

# 134 mkharsh33 @ 01/11/13 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

M.K.
Knight165
I've visited those forums only a couple times - and ONLY because I was reviewing their classic rosters and wanted some information. Again, another comment based on anything but facts. I don't believe for one second that anyone here at the 2K forums are "baiting" with their comments. It's you guys who come over here to remind us of how great your game is... It really needs to stop, and I believe it will quite soon...

# 135 bcruise @ 01/11/13 12:54 PM
Quote:
This is the biggest crock of horsecrap I've ever seen posted at OS. This one really shows arrogance in its fullest example. Wow...smh. You are so far from the truth it's pathetic. I don't have the $$$$$$$$$$ to purchase two systems... It has nothing to do with "knowledge" of baseball. What a stupid comment...
Step back and read his other posts in this thread mk...he's being facetious.

# 136 Blzer @ 01/11/13 01:24 PM
Quote:

This is all good and dandy... if there were offset camera angle options and a better check swing mechanism.

# 137 nemesis04 @ 01/11/13 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
This is all good and dandy... if there were offset camera angle options and a better check swing mechanism.
The check swing mechanic is the one thing that really pisses me off in this game and the fact that it had to be patched in is just......

# 138 pietasterp @ 01/11/13 02:18 PM
Quote:
Yeah, he was clearly joking around/being sarcastic...but sometimes it's easy to miss that stuff on the internet. Tone is hard to convey online.

# 139 horrormaster @ 01/11/13 03:19 PM
I'll get 2k13 under 2 conditions

1) It's available for PC

2) Every game doesn't feel predetermined

# 140 tvman @ 01/11/13 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
I'll get 2k13 under 2 conditions

1) It's available for PC

2) Every game doesn't feel predetermined

With #2 I think your referring to the show cause I don't find any games predetermined in 2k.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.