Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

PlayStation.Blog has posted a new MLB 13 The Show blog detailing the hitting enhancements in the game. They also discuss the new Push/Pull hitting Trajectories Engine, 16 batting views and you can also customize your own.

Source - Step Up to the Plate: MLB ’13 The Show Hitting Enhancements Detailed (PlayStation.Blog)

MLB 13 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB 13 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 MrOldboy @ 02/01/13 08:48 AM
Any bets on when the first person will find a kiosk at Best Buy this year?

# 102 Nooooovak @ 02/01/13 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcmac
...last year I was at a loss for hitting.

No matter what I tweaked, I could not hit, even when getting a good swing and great contact.

I am so happy to see the enhancements they have made. I'll be a happy camper this year.
Same here! I actually hit quite well in RttS, but when it came to Franchise and exhibition I couldn't hit to save my life. Even when I did crush a ball, it seemed to go right at somebody. Looking forward to the changes this year.

# 103 Cavicchi @ 02/01/13 10:12 AM
I'd rather see something about Classic pitching. Hitting wasn't the biggest problem for me, pitching was. I didn't really understand what I was supposed to do using Classic pitching, and still don't. I don't like the other pitching options, and my lack of understanding what to do with Classic pitching leaves me cold on this game.

# 104 Azamien @ 02/01/13 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
I'd rather see something about Classic pitching. Hitting wasn't the biggest problem for me, pitching was. I didn't really understand what I was supposed to do using Classic pitching, and still don't. I don't like the other pitching options, and my lack of understanding what to do with Classic pitching leaves me cold on this game.
Aim and throw. That's all there is to the mode. Whether the pitch hits the spot or not is based on ratings and confidence, and probably some sort of virtual dice throw.

# 105 thaSLAB @ 02/01/13 10:24 AM
Quote:
Beginner's Mode actually gives you a tutorial of the different pitching methods. For the most part, classic pitching is the same but at least now it will walk you through it.

-- Sent from the Future...

# 106 thaSLAB @ 02/01/13 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamien
Aim and throw. That's all there is to the mode. Whether the pitch hits the spot or not is based on ratings and confidence, and probably some sort of virtual dice throw.
Not completely true. There's actually an accuracy vs. effort mechanic depending on the user's button press. That's why the controller vibration is in there...

# 107 Cavicchi @ 02/01/13 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Beginner's Mode actually gives you a tutorial of the different pitching methods. For the most part, classic pitching is the same but at least now it will walk you through it.

So there is a guide for Classic pitching that explains what to do? As it was last year, I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I know how to aim the ball, but no idea what I'm supposed to do to try and get it there. The other thing was pitching from the behind pitcher view, which I liked, left me in doubt as to where the hot zones were. Pitching from behind the catcher would show hot zones clearly.

The other thing was not knowing what type of pitch the batter liked. Scouting reports were missing for the opposing batters. Has anything been done to provide information on how to pitch to batters, such as what they like and whether a pull hitter or not?

# 108 vinny_77 @ 02/01/13 11:15 AM
I'm really liking the new graphic showing where you're swinging. (This is new...right?!?). I usually turn all aids off, but I may give this a try.

# 109 thaSLAB @ 02/01/13 11:28 AM
Quote:
So there is a guide for Classic pitching that explains what to do? As it was last year, I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I know how to aim the ball, but no idea what I'm supposed to do to try and get it there. The other thing was pitching from the behind pitcher view, which I liked, left me in doubt as to where the hot zones were. Pitching from behind the catcher would show hot zones clearly.

The other thing was not knowing what type of pitch the batter liked. Scouting reports were missing for the opposing batters. Has anything been done to provide information on how to pitch to batters, such as what they like and whether a pull hitter or not?
Yes, it will guide you through using Classic pitching if that's what you have your settings set to, and play in beginner mode. Also, as for strike zone, hot zones, etc., you could them to display in any pitching/batting view. You can also press select to see them at anytime while pitching or batting. Also, when you press select, you can view a batter's spray chart. This year, there is a text description to go along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_77
I'm really liking the new graphic showing where you're swinging. (This is new...right?!?). I usually turn all aids off, but I may give this a try.

Yes, there are a few new PCIs (Plate Coverage Indicator) added for this year.

# 110 tnixen @ 02/01/13 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
Any bets on when the first person will find a kiosk at Best Buy this year?
I say February.21,2013 Thursday!

# 111 MLB Bob @ 02/01/13 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB

Yes, there are a few new PCIs (Plate Coverage Indicator) added for this year.
I play with PCI off because I dont like having the graphic on screen, that bracket PCI seems like a great compromise. I didnt care for the old oval, but feel the last one that was speckled and not very transparent was bad. The effect and idea is ok, and some enjoy it, but I tended to turn everything off, including meters,strike zones, hot spots, pitch call out to simple...I like that these elements all received a fresh coat.

I may end up using that bracketed one during Spring Training and when regular season rolls in switch to no graphic again.

# 112 vinny_77 @ 02/01/13 04:23 PM
With the new pci, are you still swinging inside/outside, or just high or low?

# 113 Russell_SCEA @ 02/01/13 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_77
With the new pci, are you still swinging inside/outside, or just high or low?
It's just an art change the PCI can still be moved anywhere around the plate depending upon the hitting method you are using.

# 114 spike83 @ 02/01/13 08:47 PM
"We pride ourselves on making a true baseball simulation"

Thank you Russell.

End of discussion for any doubters about this years (or any future years) version.

# 115 DJ @ 02/02/13 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
It's just an art change the PCI can still be moved anywhere around the plate depending upon the hitting method you are using.
I like the look compared to MLB 12.

Beginner Mode looks interesting. I'll have to let a few of my buddies know about it, as they always complain about having a hard time hitting when they play The Show.

# 116 Heroesandvillains @ 02/03/13 12:40 AM
Quote:

I wrote a guide last year. I hope to continue to update it as the MLB The Show series goes on.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-2012-a-5.html

I linked you to the page where the guide is, but really, the entire thread has a bunch of little tidbits from a bunch of us using the interface (I think later on in the thread, for instance, you'll see how some of us started using a higher percentage of lighter X, more accurate, taps).

Anyway, The Slab essentially nailed it in his previous post that the interface is an accuracy versus effort design. Over hundreds and hundreds of games of using the interface over the years, I've found a couple other strategies that haved worked for me well enough to share...because like you, I always wanted a guide too! LOL!

And just to note, once I finished my 2012 Yankees Franchise, my walks had come down to around 3.1 per game over my last 3 months of the season. Meaning, even over the course of the year, and for months after having finished my write-up, I was still finding ways to try to successfully approach hitters.

This is one of the reasons why I love the interface so much. You are constantly making very small adjustments.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.