Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

There will be a post with images about this later, but I figured a little teaser never hurt anyone.

If you didn't know, we changed the way we rate players and every position weigh different attributes differently. Before the change the game had 44 players rated 99 or higher. After the change there are 17, here is a little taste.

In no particular order.
  • T.Tulowitzki 99
  • A.Pujols 99
  • R.Braun 99
  • J.Hamilton 99
  • M.Cabrera 99
  • C.Kimbrel 99
  • C.Kershaw 99
  • A.Chapman 99
  • S.Strasburg 99
  • F.Hernandez 99
  • J.Verlander 99
  • B.Posey 99
  • M.Kemp 99
  • R.Cano 99
  • A.McCutchen 99
  • M.Trout 99
  • C.Gonzalez 99
J.Votto just missed the cut at a 98.

Second Baseman Top 5
  • Robinson Cano 99
  • Dustin Pedroia 98
  • Ian Kinsler 95
  • Brandon Phillips 93
  • Jose Altuve 90

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Knight165 @ 02/12/13 06:25 PM

M.K.
Knight165

# 42 pirates1fan @ 02/12/13 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I'm pretty sure what this thread is devolving into is the very reason Knight and and others didn't want the number ratings to be prominent.
Your dead on. I still kinda like it, everybody else just flips out when a players isn't a 99 who they think should be. Remember people, you can edit the players yourself if it bothers ya that much.

# 43 cavs25 @ 02/12/13 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I'm pretty sure what this thread is devolving into is the very reason Knight and and others didn't want the number ratings to be prominent.
Pretty much. There has always been players rated this high, but because it was a bar people didn't care.

But now is like

# 44 DC Fraz @ 02/12/13 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Pretty much his potential could also randomly change as well.
Does this mean the players game performance contributes to their potential because I had a dude around 22 hit like 345 in the minors, called him up and hit 305 in about 300 ABs, took over Kipnis' spot cuz he was batting like 220 and the dude I called up finished 3rd in the ROY. But the guy never amounted to nothin cuz he had like D potential so I hope that's what you mean when you said randomly change.

P.S. Love the ratings change man, should be another good game.

# 45 seanjeezy @ 02/12/13 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRblue1027
My point is that Utley durability should start low but all other stats should be among the best in the game he's still a top 3 fielder and the second best offense bat, not to mention base-running where is among the best in all of baseball.
I'll reiterate again that durability is a big deal, players with durability ratings in the high 50's/low 60's do not have overall ratings in the 90's... Adding in the fact that he's been a .260 hitter the last couple of years strengthens the argument against him.

# 46 Cavicchi @ 02/12/13 06:34 PM
Come to think of it, I'm not sure Posey should be a 99. He allowed way too many steals and his fielding isn't much to rave about.

You can edit player ratings, but I don't think it's the same as the player "coming" with that rating.

# 47 yanksdaniel99 @ 02/12/13 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Come to think of it, I'm not sure Posey should be a 99. He allowed way too many steals and his fielding isn't much to rave about.

You can edit player ratings, but I don't think it's the same as the player "coming" with that rating.
This has turned into quite a mess

# 48 seanjeezy @ 02/12/13 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165

M.K.
Knight165
Our worst fears are here, can't say I didn't see this coming...

# 49 I3RIS3H @ 02/12/13 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksdaniel99
Yes it has, and it will continue to be.
Take out the numbers and nobody has a problem with anything.

# 50 catch212 @ 02/12/13 06:38 PM
People get way too worked up about overall ratings. What really matters is the individual attributes in each area, and getting players for what your team needs.

# 51 Knight165 @ 02/12/13 06:39 PM
Once you guys see actual ratings.....the 99 won't bother you as much.

I don't even think a player has to be a 99 in any attribute to be a 99 ovr.

Potential has been able to change in the Show for years now. You get the e-mail saying so and so is exceeding expectations.....and he goes from a C to a B(etc)

M.K.
Knight165

# 52 phant030 @ 02/12/13 06:41 PM
I'm not a fan of a lot of 99s. I guess since there are less, I can't complain too much.

# 53 WhiteMan22 @ 02/12/13 06:43 PM
That's a lot of 99's but like catch212 said, it's not about the overall, it's about the individual attributes each of them have. You could have 7 99's on one time, and still lose because you may be weak in some areas.

# 54 Cavicchi @ 02/12/13 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksdaniel99
Well, look at how many successful steals in attempts against Posey and then look at the same with Molina. Look at DWAR for both players. Molina played more games at C and is a better catcher than Posey. So Posey hit 20 points higher than Molina last year, but Molina saved more runs than Posey. Defense like Molina is to me worth 20 points in batting average.

I also don't see Carlos Gonzalez being a 99. Braun is linked to performance enhancing drugs and 99 for him is suspect.

# 55 cavs25 @ 02/12/13 07:04 PM
Is really interesting how the human mind works.
Last year we had a bunch of full bars and everybody was cool with it.
No we have numbers and all hell is breaking loose.

# 56 xSiQ @ 02/12/13 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougars
Thanks Russell!

Potential didn't change in MLB 12, glad to hear it is fluid in 13! Care to expand on how/why it would change?
Is it random?
Is it performance-based?
Is it dependent on good training?

Actually, my first overall draft pick in my 2012 season in Franchise Mode on MLB 12 was an A Potential Shortstop. The next season in the minors (AA) he hit below .200 for a few months and his potential decreased to a B.

# 57 ghm125 @ 02/12/13 07:07 PM
Votto and Phillips got robbed! are you kidding me with guys above them!...

# 58 Knight165 @ 02/12/13 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSiQ
Actually, my first overall draft pick in my 2012 season in Franchise Mode on MLB 12 was an A Potential Shortstop. The next season in the minors (AA) he hit below .200 for a few months and his potential decreased to a B.
Yep....it's been in for quite a few years.

M.K.
Knight165

# 59 yanksdaniel99 @ 02/12/13 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavicchi
Well, look at how many successful steals in attempts against Posey and then look at the same with Molina. Look at DWAR for both players. Molina played more games at C and is a better catcher than Posey. So Posey hit 20 points higher than Molina last year, but Molina saved more runs than Posey. Defense like Molina is to me worth 20 points in batting average.

I also don't see Carlos Gonzalez being a 99. Braun is linked to performance enhancing drugs and 99 for him is suspect.
I meant the ruckus over who did & didn't get the 99 ratings. There's no reason for it.

# 60 zack4070 @ 02/12/13 07:15 PM
I guess I just have to cope with what is defined as 99. Im so used to top-top guys (Rodgers, Brady) being 99's in Madden that, yes, it is weird to see so many 99's. But whatever, I wonder if that overall 99 has any correlation with any of the other attributes or if that is just a given for their overall and their other ratings dont equal up to their overall? If this is going to be the rating system, there shouldn't be any major leaguers below 75ovr probably.

Also, Chapman must be a reliever in this game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.