Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

There will be a post with images about this later, but I figured a little teaser never hurt anyone.

If you didn't know, we changed the way we rate players and every position weigh different attributes differently. Before the change the game had 44 players rated 99 or higher. After the change there are 17, here is a little taste.

In no particular order.
  • T.Tulowitzki 99
  • A.Pujols 99
  • R.Braun 99
  • J.Hamilton 99
  • M.Cabrera 99
  • C.Kimbrel 99
  • C.Kershaw 99
  • A.Chapman 99
  • S.Strasburg 99
  • F.Hernandez 99
  • J.Verlander 99
  • B.Posey 99
  • M.Kemp 99
  • R.Cano 99
  • A.McCutchen 99
  • M.Trout 99
  • C.Gonzalez 99
J.Votto just missed the cut at a 98.

Second Baseman Top 5
  • Robinson Cano 99
  • Dustin Pedroia 98
  • Ian Kinsler 95
  • Brandon Phillips 93
  • Jose Altuve 90

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 HustlinOwl @ 02/13/13 09:12 PM
yea please tell your competitors your ratings formula

# 162 JJT @ 02/13/13 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
yea please tell your competitors your ratings formula

Lol, pretty sure the competitors have their own formulas.

# 163 thaSLAB @ 02/13/13 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT
Not complaining, but how does cutchs ratings then result in a 99?

Still dont understand how that adds up.

Once again can edit so not a problem.
An algorithm. Not directed at you, but I don't think everyone understands what that is.

-- Sent from the Future...

# 164 bp4baseball @ 02/13/13 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
While your joking that's not that far off from where he's rated. I think he was in the 110 118 range or something. When we looked at the spread sheet.

Also for the people who haven't jumped off the bridge already ( I think there are about 10 of you left :-) It's just a number and there are maybe 3 players in the game with almost maxed out ratings. For instance A.McCutchen ratings are

Con R 74
Con L 97
PWR R 68
PWR L 76

Visn 44
Disc 78
Clt 80
Dur 98

FLD 88
Arm str 75
Arm Acc 54
Reac 88

Spd 83
Br a 60
Br ag 56

Doesn't look crazy now does it. (I'm joking I know someone will have an issue with it I'll wait

What do you mean by he is in the 110-118 range? Just because 99 is the highest number we can see on screen, could that theoretically be a higher number?

# 165 JJT @ 02/13/13 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
An algorithm. Not directed at you, but I don't think everyone understands what that is.

-- Sent from the Future...
Sounds good man was just trying to understand, thats all.

# 166 Russell_SCEA @ 02/13/13 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp4baseball
What do you mean by he is in the 110-118 range? Just because 99 is the highest number we can see on screen, could that theoretically be a higher number?
Yup some guys are over 99................................................ ...................................

# 167 brettryantalley @ 02/13/13 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Yup some guys are over 99................................................ ...................................
aw, here it goes.

# 168 nomo17k @ 02/13/13 09:37 PM
I don't know about the OVR ratings, but some guys have player attributes that are computed to be over 99... Kimbrel's K/9 rating, for example. But the game engine accommodate only the value within 0 - 99, so his K/9 rating is maxed out at 99.

I think the similar situation with OVRs.

# 169 BenGerman @ 02/13/13 09:56 PM
I don't mind the change to numerical ratings at all. Once I get into the season I barely even let myself look at those anyway, so it's not a big deal to me.

Is there any way that we'll see an option to hide ratings in the future? I think that would kind of please both ends of the spectrum, no?

# 170 BBallcoach @ 02/13/13 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatsFan95
A bit out of it, but i play fifa as well as the show and nobody is rated 99, lionel messi the best player in the world, is rated 95 which the show should follow, as no player is perfect. I'm a big nats fan and strasburg should never be rated 99, about 88. too many there are rated as 99, only 7 guys in history deserve a 99, cobb, ruth, mays, musial, cy young, koufax and gehrig
Im sick of this comparing ratings to all time greats... this isn't MLB the Show all time greats... It's MLB the Show 13, it's what players are elite in today's game. Thats all that matters... you all get caught up in the meaning of a 99... All it means is that that player is really good and you cannot deny that with any of those 17

# 171 MrOldboy @ 02/13/13 10:43 PM
If players do add up to over 99, why not scale the overall to be at a 1-99 scale, where the top rated player (whatever it is, 120, 130 whatever) is 99 and everyone else is lower, instead of displaying everyone at or over 99 as 99. Or am I misunderstanding how the ratings are displayed. So if you have three players 110, 105, 99 the game displays them all as 99?

# 172 Number2DJ @ 02/13/13 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOldboy
So if you have three players 110, 105, 99 the game displays them all as 99?
I think so.

# 173 Knight165 @ 02/13/13 10:48 PM
Quote:
If players do add up to over 99, why not scale the overall to be at a 1-99 scale, where the top rated player (whatever it is, 120, 130 whatever) is 99 and everyone else is lower, instead of displaying everyone at or over 99 as 99. Or am I misunderstanding how the ratings are displayed. So if you have three players 110, 105, 99 the game displays them all as 99?

That's what Ramone is saying...yes.

Actually....guys want there to be more separation...and what SCEA is doing allows for that.
Knocking down others doesn't expand the ratings to allow for more separation between players.

I do understand the confusion however.....

M.K.
Knight165

# 174 SoxFan01605 @ 02/13/13 10:48 PM
Somewhere, deep inside his evil lair, Kolbe is laughing...oh so mockingly.

# 175 Knight165 @ 02/13/13 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Somewhere, deep inside his evil lair, Kolbe is laughing...oh so mockingly.
Who?

M.K.
Knight165

# 176 SoxFan01605 @ 02/13/13 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Who?

M.K.
Knight165
Just some guy...

# 177 bp4baseball @ 02/13/13 10:55 PM
Quote:

Actually....guys want there to be more separation...and what SCEA is doing allows for that.
Knocking down others doesn't expand the ratings to allow for more separation between players.

M.K.
Knight165

I'm also interpreting that as even if they "would" be rated as a 110 in a certain attribute, the sim engine only recognizes them as a 99.

# 178 MrOldboy @ 02/13/13 10:58 PM
Quote:

M.K.
Knight165
Why does knocking down the ratings not do that for the players rated over 99? It wouldn't help for those rated below, in fact it would cause less separation for lower rated players if you scale it.

For instance if three players are rated 120, 110 and 99 the end user doesn't see this and doesn't know if the game rates one SS at 99 more than another at 99, even if one is 120 and one is 110 according to the game. To the player they are the same overall since they can't see what's under the hood.

If the game does think one player is better 120 vs 110, why not show this to the end user. So if 120 was the best player in the league it would be 99, 97, 95 or something for those three players. If its going to be there as a number, why not give the user this info? It does cause lower rated players to have less separation though if you scale it since its only an issue with players rated over 99. its just maybe people would be more accepting of the numbers on overall if all the top guys were not rated 99.

# 179 Bbush @ 02/13/13 11:03 PM
I like number ratings

# 180 Ligeann Dul Coileain @ 02/13/13 11:28 PM
Quote:
Why does knocking down the ratings not do that for the players rated over 99? It wouldn't help for those rated below, in fact it would cause less separation for lower rated players if you scale it.

For instance if three players are rated 120, 110 and 99 the end user doesn't see this and doesn't know if the game rates one SS at 99 more than another at 99, even if one is 120 and one is 110 according to the game. To the player they are the same overall since they can't see what's under the hood.

If the game does think one player is better 120 vs 110, why not show this to the end user. So if 120 was the best player in the league it would be 99, 97, 95 or something for those three players. If its going to be there as a number, why not give the user this info? It does cause lower rated players to have less separation though if you scale it since its only an issue with players rated over 99. its just maybe people would be more accepting of the numbers on overall if all the top guys were not rated 99.
If I'm understanding everything correctly the reason that 120 and 110 overalls aren't displayed even though they exist is because you can look at the ratings of each individual attribute to decide whether the 120 overall player or the 110 overall player would be a better fit for what you want. So you don't really need to rely on the overall.

I understand what you're saying. It would make sense to have only the best be a 99 and have everyone else scale downward, but since you don't need any attribute to be a 99 just to be a 99 overall I think that the importance of the overall is really limited. It's nice to get a quick snapshot view of the value of a player at a position, but it doesn't (and shouldn't) tell you everything that you need to know about that player.

Suppose I want to upgrade at second base and would like to get more power in my lineup at the same time while I'm already good with team defense. Defense is probably rated as higher importance in the algorithm that decides Overall when compared to power for a second baseman. So I may end up wanting a secondbaseman with a lower Overall score, but who hits for more power and therefore has a higher Power rating.

I could trade for second baseman with the higher Overall, but he may turn out to not be a good fit for me at all. So since Overall is really essentially unimportant I think that it's acceptable for players to have higher than 99 overalls possible. It's the individual attributes that affect what happens on the field.

....If individual attributes could be above 99, on the other hand, I would view that as a bigger issue. Overalls over 99 mean nothing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.