Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Nick Livingston, Game Designer for MLB 13 The Show has posted another Developer Journal. This year the team has added more depth to Play Now online matches by incorporating some elements from other areas in the game.

Quote:
We’ve tied in the Rating and Matchmaking system we use in Diamond Dynasty, with the pitcher energy system we use in our season based modes. I’m going to leverage our new in-game tutorial system by showing you some screencaps of the brief introduction you’d see the first time you select an Online Rated Match in MLB® 13.

We now have an intelligent way of measuring who is the best of the best on the Leaderboard. You don’t have to play tons of games to be at the top of the leaderboard, you just have to prove that you can hang with the better players. Even if that means a game or two a week, you will find your place on the leaderboard before long.

Source - Dev Journal: MLB 13 The Show Play Now Rated (MLB The Show Nation)

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 HustlinOwl @ 02/15/13 09:27 PM
play now is a whole new ball game

# 2 TheBleedingRed21 @ 02/15/13 09:30 PM
Best idea to implement the energy into SPs.

# 3 HustlinOwl @ 02/15/13 09:34 PM
BCS Holy Crap!!!!!!!

# 4 cardinalbird5 @ 02/16/13 03:37 AM
Looks like Play Now is turning into Diamond Dynasty with the exception of fictional players. I like it...I just hope the bell curve isn't too extreme. I been ranked number 1 in DD throughout the year and you cannot make any mistakes at all or you'll drop tons of points. You have to win about 50 games to 1 loss to maintain your rank. Also things like DC's, games freezing, etc. can be severely detrimental to someone's psychological attitude. Hopefully the servers will have improved again so we don't see much of these problems.

I like the idea of the bell curve, matchmaking, etc. but I just hope they don't make it silly impossible to be ranked high and to maintain it. In DD, I can play someone with over 500 games played with a 60 winning pct and beat them to get absolutely nothing for it. 0 points, nada, etc. But if they happen to beat me I'll lose 23 points or so, which takes about 30-40 games without losing to gain back.

The leaderboards for the exhibition games are severely flawed, so this a step in the right direction. A lot of guys in the top 100 are only there, because they have played over 1000 games with their own settings and by pitching an ACE every game.

# 5 cardinalbird5 @ 02/16/13 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingleberryfinn
This is just one of many reasons online play doesn't appeal to me.
Until MLB teams can schedule high school teams IRL & get it to count in the standings, my opinion on this will not change.
Well IRL there are only 30 teams, so staying at the top of the standings isn't as difficult. For online, there are over 100,000+ people, so staying at the top, of course, will be difficult. There are also drastic variances among skill levels, so you will be seeing players and teams that play like "HS Teams". I just hope they find a balance between the DD leaderboards and exhibition leaderboards from this year. There are some top 20 players with under an 80 winning pct, so they really shouldn't be there.

My main gripe with the DD leaderboards is the disconnects or glitches that can cause you to lose a game. If you lose on the field, then you deserved the loss. If you lost your rank by glitches and disconnects then that isn't too fair.

# 6 HustlinOwl @ 02/16/13 09:34 PM
rank means nothing

# 7 kubankaos @ 02/16/13 09:43 PM
OMG!! I think I finally just read something that has me excited. I don't play much online, but when I do, I mostly play with the Pirates and you know who my typical opponent would be (top team with the ace of the staff).

# 8 mmorg @ 02/16/13 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
There are some top 20 players with under an 80 winning pct, so they really shouldn't be there.
Why is that? If the algorithm is the elo system then someone who has a 50-50 record against the top teams is going to be ranked higher than someone who is 90-10 against the bottom 10% of teams. And I would assume the guy playing better competition and holding his own is probably the better player, especially if he has an inferior team and uses crappy players/pitchers.

# 9 cardinalbird5 @ 02/17/13 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorg
Why is that? If the algorithm is the elo system then someone who has a 50-50 record against the top teams is going to be ranked higher than someone who is 90-10 against the bottom 10% of teams. And I would assume the guy playing better competition and holding his own is probably the better player, especially if he has an inferior team and uses crappy players/pitchers.
The current leaderboards for exhibition games do not take this into account. They are a joke. DD leaderboards do however......no one has a low winning pct and you have to face top 200 players constantly. You can be ranked number 1 in less than 100 games theoretically.

# 10 cardinalbird5 @ 02/17/13 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
rank means nothing
I guess losing is fun too. The leaderboards in DD are a pretty good representation of the player controlling the team. Rank in exhibition games mean nothing if that is what you were referring to.

# 11 HustlinOwl @ 02/17/13 03:09 AM
DD is a joke as well guys maxing out there players to all 99's good luck with that in 13

# 12 cardinalbird5 @ 02/17/13 07:00 AM
There is only one team that did that and he had to do it by taking over the marketplace. Since then people have figured the marketplace out and the guy stopped playing. In DD for MLB 13, there will be player caps and you won't be able to do that. I take it you are just hating on that mode and I doubt you've actually logged hours into it from the sound of it.

# 13 thaSLAB @ 02/17/13 11:04 AM
Quote:
DD is a joke as well guys maxing out there players to all 99's good luck with that in 13
Players now have attribute caps, so you can't max everything out anymore. That change alone improves things tenfold.

-- Sent from the Future...

# 14 HustlinOwl @ 02/17/13 12:05 PM
believe me I know about the cap on players

# 15 LAD1990 @ 02/17/13 12:36 PM
This is a nice feature, I always seem to face CC Sabathia almost every game because people use the NYY a lot. But thats when I play exhibition online, I mostly stick to online leagues.

----------------------------
ps; Dear Mods, I was banned earlier for having a second account, and yes this is my third. I did NOT KNOW you couldn't have multiple usernames. If you could please unban my account "LABlueDuck" it would be great, I also donated like 20 minutes before I got banned >.<

PLEASE DON'T BAN THIS ACCOUNT I'M TRYING TO GET IN CONTACT WITH YOU GUYS SO I CAN GET MY "LABLUEDUCK" ACCOUNT BACK!

# 16 BrandH @ 02/18/13 02:20 PM
Quote:
You have never even played a game of DD. How do you know it is a joke?

# 17 Spaced Ace @ 02/18/13 02:45 PM
Awesome! I love this. No more using Ace pitchers all day.

# 18 HustlinOwl @ 02/18/13 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandH
You have never even played a game of DD. How do you know it is a joke?
lol seen and talked to plenty of ppl and why do you think they had to change for 13 and put a cap on players

# 19 Spaced Ace @ 02/18/13 02:55 PM
Is this same system used for RANKED lobby matches? I hope so!

# 20 rays1118 @ 02/18/13 06:01 PM
russel any new news on Online Leagues? there was supposed to be a dev blog but it was never posted or made!!!!!

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.