Home
Operation Sports News Post

VGLeaks have posted some Kinect 2.0 features, rumored to arrive packaged with the new Xbox 720 (Durango).

Quote:
The next generation sensor improves the current sensor in many areas:
  • Improved field of view results in much larger play space.
  • RGB stream is higher quality and higher resolution.
  • Depth stream is much higher resolution and able to resolve much smaller objects.
  • Higher depth stream accuracy enables separating objects in close depth proximity.
  • Higher depth stream accuracy captures depth curvature around edges better.
  • Active infrared (IR) stream permits lighting independent processing and feature recognition.
  • End to end pipeline latency is improved by 33 ms.

Interested?

Game: Operation SportsReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 20 - View All
Operation Sports Videos
Member Comments
# 1 mestevo @ 02/20/13 10:13 AM
Biggest issue by far with our Kinect is the required space, that tweaked FOV should mitigate that significantly but we'll see how it pans out.

Either way, it's still best used in our house for things like navigating Netflix. When watching Blu-Rays on our PS3 or DirecTV my wife and I have both jokingly said 'Xbox, Pause' before.

With the next one that might just work given the integration rumors.

# 2 The00Raven00Effect @ 02/20/13 12:59 PM
I seriously hope the system doesn't focus around the use of Kinect. My fiancee bought Kinect for the Xbox in hopes of making her interested in playing, and after about 2 weeks she never played with it again. I've probably only used it twice. I honestly hate the idea. Most of the times I play Xbox is when I wake up or when I'm about to go to bed. I'm usually far too tired to get off the couch at those times. If it is as Kinect focused as I think it will be, I will probably end up getting a PS4. A sad day for a Xbox fanboy.

# 3 Knight165 @ 02/20/13 01:44 PM
So they improved a feature(rumored to be a necessary feature, right?) for their next gen console.

Sounds about right.

M.K.
Knight165

# 4 mestevo @ 02/20/13 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The00Raven00Effect
I seriously hope the system doesn't focus around the use of Kinect. My fiancee bought Kinect for the Xbox in hopes of making her interested in playing, and after about 2 weeks she never played with it again. I've probably only used it twice. I honestly hate the idea. Most of the times I play Xbox is when I wake up or when I'm about to go to bed. I'm usually far too tired to get off the couch at those times. If it is as Kinect focused as I think it will be, I will probably end up getting a PS4. A sad day for a Xbox fanboy.
Except Sony is probably going to try and copy most of what the Kinect did and might include it with the PS4.

# 5 horrormaster @ 02/20/13 05:11 PM
30 fps? Really? How can anybody still accept this? All this technology and power for next-gen consoles and they're still stuck at 30 fps? Current gen barely reaches 30.

# 6 mgoblue @ 02/20/13 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
So they improved a feature(rumored to be a necessary feature, right?) for their next gen console.

Sounds about right.

M.K.
Knight165
Yeah, this isn't that surprising to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
30 fps? Really? How can anybody still accept this? All this technology and power for next-gen consoles and they're still stuck at 30 fps? Current gen barely reaches 30.
Relax, that's just what the video camera for Kinect streams in at...I doubt you need 60 fps for the camera reading everything in....

# 7 bghost @ 02/20/13 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormaster
you understand that the 30 fps listed on the spec sheet is in regards to how the kinect actually captures and processes images and not in regards to how images or games on the new system will be displayed right?

when M$ actually comes out with specs for the new console and those specs are underwhelming and will likely only provide 30 fps game play I will be right behind you in the riot line.

# 8 Rules @ 02/20/13 10:02 PM
I just want to know one thing:

Will it correctly pick up and count push ups?

That was so frustrating after cranking out 100 push ups only for it to recognize 4 of them

# 9 The00Raven00Effect @ 02/20/13 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Except Sony is probably going to try and copy most of what the Kinect did and might include it with the PS4.
I'll be furious. All I want to do is sprawl out on the couch and play video games. I refuse to move; I save that for work and the gym.

# 10 Skyboxer @ 02/20/13 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The00Raven00Effect
I'll be furious. All I want to do is sprawl out on the couch and play video games. I refuse to move; I save that for work and the gym.
Nothing would take away from regular control scheme.
It didn't with Kinect at all and just added features to use if you had a Kinect. The more options the better.

# 11 DaveDQ @ 02/24/13 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Nothing would take away from regular control scheme.
It didn't with Kinect at all and just added features to use if you had a Kinect. The more options the better.
Exactly. It is a peripheral. It is related to gaming. It is by no means the core of gaming. But if you look at what the PS4 is doing, and how their device looks like the kinect's evil twin or something, you have to think it's working. MS looked at the success of the Wii and gave us their version. Sony is doing the same.

We have a Kinect, and it is enjoyable for what it is made for, but this notion that the goal is to replace the traditional controller and make everyone have to move around is silly. Sometimes one thing makes people get so extreme and claim that one thing is live or die. Motion gaming is working but it is obviously not the core of gaming.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.