Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 mbergh22 @ 02/21/13 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Do you have any intention of buying this game? Just curious.
No I got a warning for comparing it to The Show.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

# 42 tvman @ 02/21/13 11:35 PM
Looked like 2k12 which is what I was expecting, still though I guess it was good to see something. All i'm really hoping for is that gameplay issues were fixed but couldn't really tell from that vid.

# 43 havoc00 @ 02/21/13 11:51 PM
I hope they release a demo if not, Redbox will be getting this game.

# 44 malky @ 02/22/13 12:04 AM
I'm a big time 2kfan from football to basketball to baseball2k7 but they have really dropped the ball with the diamond and this trailer is more proof unfortunately

# 45 Blzer @ 02/22/13 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc00
Redbox will be getting this game.
I sure hope they are. All of the Blockbusters by me are closing down.

# 46 havoc00 @ 02/22/13 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I sure hope they are. All of the Blockbusters by me are closing down.
Im sure you have a redbox near you

# 47 docholliday8706 @ 02/22/13 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Sir, don't let the naysayers and zealots fool you. 2K isn't a bad game.
Is it as polished or shiny as The Show? No.
But the things it does right, it does very well.
- Analog pitching. The most immersive and fun pitching mechanic of any baseball game.
It's also loaded with strategy. Hitters will get used to your tendencies forcing you to adjust.
There's also MLB data at your finger tips so you know what a hitter's tendencies are.
- Hitters Eye. Fantastic. Just like in the MVP series. I'm terrible at games, and yet I still feel like a stud when I'm using a top hitter in the game. Guys like Cabrera and Braun will be able to tell what pitch is coming with more frequency than a poor hitter.
- Commentary and Presentation. Best in the market.
- Franchise mode. Very deep. You really have to keep an eye on your players stamina and mix your lineup accordingly. And because every player is rated in every single defensive position, you have so many options at your finger tips.

The hitting mechanics are great too. I see a lot of variety of hits and you can definitely tell the difference between outfielders. Some can track way better than others.

I had always played The Show until one year my bro bought 2K11. After getting my hands on that, I couldn't go back to the other game. It was just more fun.

Obviously rent first if you're worried, but 2K12 was a great baseball experience.
If you listened to the naysayers, you would have thought you were playing an Atari game, but the truth is, while this game has it's flaws (which game doesn't?), it's still a solid baseball experience.
Great points. Looking back at reviews for 2k12 the consensus was that it was generally a decent baseball game in it's own right. Again, as an every other year sports gamer, I don't see the problem for me if it mostly stays in line with last year's game.

I understand that by asking consumers to buy a game every year by putting one in stores warrants improvements from the previous year but I'm not as put off by the idea, especially when the hate has gone so far, especially by judging the passive aggressive coverage on other sites (again somewhat warranted based on the lack of PR).

# 48 Blzer @ 02/22/13 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc00
Im sure you have a redbox near you
I have plenty. What I was saying is my Redbox machines don't have many games. Sure it has NBA 2K13, but that's the only sports game. There are like eight games.

# 49 Visionsofmastery @ 02/22/13 05:58 AM
once again I get excited about having this from the trailer but when gamefly comes in the mail will find out for sure, still mad at no Team baseball

# 50 Money99 @ 02/22/13 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docholliday8706
Great points. Looking back at reviews for 2k12 the consensus was that it was generally a decent baseball game in it's own right. Again, as an every other year sports gamer, I don't see the problem for me if it mostly stays in line with last year's game.

I understand that by asking consumers to buy a game every year by putting one in stores warrants improvements from the previous year but I'm not as put off by the idea, especially when the hate has gone so far, especially by judging the passive aggressive coverage on other sites (again somewhat warranted based on the lack of PR).
You're right, 2K's lack of PR doesn't help their case at all.
There are a handful of very popular sports gaming message boards out there.
What's the issue with simply having a dev come on here to yap about the game? That's free.

In any event, I've gotten used to games being pretty much the same year after year. The NHL series is a great example of it. Graphically, it looks no different from '07 to '13.
I love new additions, but a lot of the times, the new additions don't work right in that first year and can offer more frustrations than fun. Diamond Dynasty and Connected Careers are prime examples.

So if 2k13 is nothing more than a roster upgrade with bug fixes, I'm down with that. It's not like it wouldn't be the first sports game to do that.

# 51 seriousluboy83 @ 02/22/13 09:30 AM
Damn I can't lie that trailer got me kinda hype

# 52 dodgerblue @ 02/22/13 10:37 AM
That looked good, but then I googled and watched the official trailer for 2k12. Other than the colors being a bit better, hard to see anything different at all. Wall jumps, long balls, double plays, leaping catches....it's all there. If they fixed the goofy running animation that would be great but it's hard to tell from the trailer. This looks like a rental first for sure and not a day 1 purchase like last year for me.

# 53 Flaxseed Oil @ 02/22/13 10:47 AM
If I still only had an XBOX 360, I would be OK with picking this up. It does have its solid points as some people mentioned. But the fact is that while this is probably an OK game, the game still hasn't returned to the graphical levels of 2k7, and the animations in 2k12 were, to put it mildly, shaky.

I think 2K has real potential because of their innovative control schemes, especially with pitching. However, I think I am done with their baseball products for this generation. Maybe I'll try them out on PS4 or Xbox 720 if I get one of those.

# 54 MLBGeek @ 02/22/13 11:49 AM
For some time now I've been very fair in my assessment of both baseball games while being firm in saying that hardcore baseball fans must buy a Playstation 3. I buy both games regardless, however this year is especially concerning. As this month progressed and no features/videos/screenshots/hype was generated I began to wonder if they might just scratch it. The individual who commented on the specific angling 2K uses in their videos is exactly what they have done for years whereas I have watched countless minutes of actual "Show 13" gameplay. What I have noticed from supporters of MLB 2k is they are trying so hard to find things to like about this game. I seriously don't know if this is an issue of them not owning a Playstation 3 or what, but this will absolutely be my first year I do not buy both console games. This is not an issue I have with 2K, because I am a huge fan of the NBA 2K games, however they really need to stick to what they are good at. This, or.. dump the entire dev team and go find someone who is truly passionate about baseball and work from ground up. This was a year they could have done SOMETHING to get baseball fans to pause before only purchasing The Show. IE: Take the advice ignored by SCEA from their fans requesting rain delays/doubleheaders and put that in 2K. I wouldn't have cared if it wasn't the most polished product had I actually seen an effort!

# 55 pistolpete @ 02/22/13 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBGeek
What I have noticed from supporters of MLB 2k is they are trying so hard to find things to like about this game.
What a stupid thing to say.

# 56 rudyjuly2 @ 02/22/13 12:18 PM
I tweeted at ESPN's Jon Robinson who covers sports video games for ESPN. He had posted the trailer on ESPN today: http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tec...sizzle-trailer . He had covered both the Show and 2K in the past and asked him why there was no info. He said 2K refuses to let him look at the game. That has to be a terrible sign as there is no excuse for it. This game is just a roster update guys. How 2K can justify selling it at full price is beyond me.

@ESPN_JRob: "They refuse to show me the game, so I figure they're hiding it on purpose. Must be awful."

# 57 rudyjuly2 @ 02/22/13 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
So even though it was obviously a roster update when the game was announced in January, folks are going to get mad now?

This is why I made a point of saying this over and over. Folks were creating their own fantasies to support expectations that had zero chance of coming true. I mentioned that there would be very good reason to wait for a price drop.

And now people are shocked that 2K is not making a big deal and bragging about their roster update. 2K wanted to kill the game. MLB begged and paid 2K to put a game out. Not a new game, just a game.

The reactions here are why 2K has not been marketing the game other than doing another round of the Perfect Game Challenge. The lack of blogs, developer notes, gameplay videos and hands-on impressions all made clear that the game was not offering anything but a reskin.

If you thought the game was terrible last year, it will be terrible this year. Don't buy it. If you thought the game was great last year, it will be the same great game, but it may not be worth a purchase until a price drop.
Clearly you were right but how does that justify a $60 price tag? Smaller titles are usually released at $40. The people that so buy this game at full price hoping for the best will be pissed.

# 58 tvman @ 02/22/13 01:13 PM
Going by the trailer the game appears to look the same but that doesn't mean gameplay issues weren't fixed.

If you didn't like last years game because of how it looked then obviously you won't like this years edition either.

For Robinson to say the game must be "awful" is just his opinion as I found both 2k11 and 2k12 to be very good games and if most of the issues were fixed then the game could be great.

# 59 Galvatron @ 02/22/13 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Clearly you were right but how does that justify a $60 price tag? Smaller titles are usually released at $40. The people that so buy this game at full price hoping for the best will be pissed.
This is what gets me the most about this.

They know damn well 360 owners with no other choice will spend money for the game, and that's fine. But when you know that your product isn't worth the value you put on it, well then that's just almost criminal, at least morally.

Even after all the scorn and embarrassment over the EIGHT years of this current generation they continue to draw bad attention to themselves with things like this. I'm glad that theres competition in the baseball game genre but if you're not gonna really compete, why bother? I would respect them more if they would have waited until next-gen than to put out a roster updated rehash for full price knowing full well the people that stick by them or have no other choice would pay it.

# 60 Flaxseed Oil @ 02/22/13 02:04 PM
I dug up the 2K12 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq_Kgc0nymI

Even the shots they chose for the trailer are almost exactly the same.

Mike Stanton going yard. Robbie Cano getting taken out on a double play at 2nd. People robbing balls at the wall.

(The colors look pretty much normal in this clip too, which means they might not be fixed in 2k13)

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.