Home
News Post

For the curious and sleuthing mind, there was certainly a lot of intrigue as to who was missing from the PlayStation 4 launch event last week in New York City. Where, exactly was Electronic Arts?

Today it appears a bit more is being answered on that question, as it appears EA and Microsoft are cozying up with each other in the form of an exclusive arrangement. The announcement of any such deal would be held at the XBox 720 reveal event, which looks to potentially take place on April 26.

EA is certainly a heavyweight third party publisher, so it's possible the arrangement could be a first-dibs type of deal, where games from EA come to the Xbox 720 first before releasing on other consoles later. Such a deal could also mean exclusive DLC to the XBox platform or perhaps an exclusive title or two.

How a rumored EA/Microsoft partnership affects the sports titles is relatively unknown. As we saw with MLB this year, sports leagues want a presence on all of the major platforms. It's doubtful, for instance, that the NFL would allow EA to only release Madden on the XBox 720 for a few months before it appeared on the PS4. Most likely, the deal will be a limited exclusivity deal with some titles but not all. It remains unlikely EA Sports will find itself only publishing on Microsoft's console in the future.

EA's CFO Blake Jorgenson had this to say about the PlayStation 4 a few days ago, "At the end of the day we are very excited about Sony's platform. We feel there's a huge opportunity there. The technical power on the platform is going to allow us to do a substantial amount of things that have never been done before."

What do you all think of EA and Microsoft cozying up to one another? Do you think this affects the sports titles in any way?

Member Comments
# 1 Dubinator15 @ 02/27/13 10:23 AM
I can't see the leagues signing on for exclusivity, but there's probably some kind of benefit they can offer regarding DLC.

# 2 Goblowsoup @ 02/27/13 10:34 AM
Looks like Microsoft is taking a page out of the Sony book. This is exactly how the PS2 dominated the Dreamcast. No EA Sports Titles has always been regarded as the reason why Sega couldn't keep up with Sony (not to mention the lack of DVD player and piracy issues), perhaps this is the only way Microsoft thinks they can put Sony out of business. This could just open the door for Sony First Party sports titles again. NFL Gameday? NBA might return (hopefully better) and I could see Sony team up with Konami to make PES a Sony exclusive as well. Could actually end up good for consumers, since most people tend to complain about EA but have no option...this could open the door wide open for all of those people. I guess we'll see.

# 3 HustlinOwl @ 02/27/13 10:35 AM
EA nothing about EA sports

# 4 Dazraz @ 02/27/13 10:35 AM
You have to ask yourself why would EA limit the number of games they could sell by tying themselves into a single console contract. As Dubinator15 states, exclusive DLC maybe but I don't see much beyond that.

# 5 Retropyro @ 02/27/13 10:51 AM
If the rumors of the next Xbox not allowing used games to be played are true, I could see EA and other big developers and publishers signing exclusive deals.

# 6 woz411 @ 02/27/13 11:07 AM
EA’s Chief Financial Officer: Battlefield 4 Looks ‘Stunning’ On PS4

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/...unning-on-ps4/

So that wont be an exclusive

The report says that this will not be for exclusive games, but content after release. They also mention the possibility of “staggered release dates” for popular games. This rumor is given some substantiation when you take into consideration that the company was not at the Sony PlayStation 4 reveal from last week.
http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/ru...tner-xbox-720/

Microsoft to reveal EA partnership at Next Xbox event

Exclusive add-on content deal expected; Publisher exec says prepare for big announcements
Due to the necessities of multiplatform development and publishing, it is likely that such a partnership will not extend beyond exclusive downloadable content, or staggered release dates. An outright exclusive EA game on the Next Xbox would be unlikely, and certainly a major coup for Microsoft if such a deal were to be secured

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...xt-xbox-event/

Seems its just DLC or delayed release dates... not exclusives

# 7 Detroitfan4life1993 @ 02/27/13 11:12 AM
I could see ea anounce mvp baseball only on xbox that would be intresting.

# 8 Lovesports @ 02/27/13 11:28 AM
When you have an inferior product you start cutting deals. This is nothing more than two companies trying to fatten their wallets. How does this benefit the consumer?

# 9 stoncold32 @ 02/27/13 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
EA nothing about EA sports
In my early morning grogginess, I read this is "EA knows nothing about sports"

To which I was abouti to agree

# 10 1WEiRDguy @ 02/27/13 01:07 PM
the real loser is the gamer...

# 11 Tha_Kid @ 02/27/13 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesports
When you have an inferior product you start cutting deals. This is nothing more than two companies trying to fatten their wallets. How does this benefit the consumer?
What a silly comment, especially considering this is a rumor and Sony already has exclusivity deals in place, such as PS4 only DLC for Destiny.

# 12 onac22 @ 02/27/13 01:41 PM
This is a great thing it isolates EA and forces competition to start in other markets. Best Worst move ever just when I thought EA was a greedy monopoly they do this.

# 13 Lovesports @ 02/27/13 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
What a silly comment, especially considering this is a rumor and Sony already has exclusivity deals in place, such as PS4 only DLC for Destiny.
Its not the same. EA is responsible for 40% of the market's games and 75% of the sports titles. If this is true none of us will benefit. And xbox wouldnt be doing this if they werent affraid of being outperformed by sony with the next gen. Once again the consumer takes the bullet

# 14 inkcil @ 02/27/13 02:32 PM
And people don't like to talk about this...but if EA's games are going to be made on 720 and then ported to PS4, there will be more than exclusive content that Sony gamers will miss out on.

# 15 SHAKYR @ 02/27/13 10:51 PM
I have been saying this for years. I even noticed how EA has 360's as their default systems when you go to their studios. EA was always Pro-Microsoft.

# 16 Cusefan @ 03/06/13 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
I have been saying this for years. I even noticed how EA has 360's as their default systems when you go to their studios. EA was always Pro-Microsoft.
Thats not true at all, EA was huge for the PS2. About a decade ago Microsoft tried pushing the PC market, EA was definitely not on board as about the same time they all but stopped supporting PC games.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.