Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Quote:
Road To The Show received an overhaul and a bunch of new features for MLB 13 The Show. Designer Kirby St. John takes you through them all.

MLB 13 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB 13 The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 BBallcoach @ 02/27/13 02:37 PM
That just convinced me to pre-order and pick up at midnight instead of waiting til 10 on the 5th to get it.... Holy cow RTTS and Franchise are going to make me forget about NCAA 14 in July!

# 42 Kirby_SCEA @ 02/27/13 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler4
Are the follow through, walkup, practice swing, stride, take pitch, and take pitch stride options only for RTTS players? Or can you edit these like you can edit real player's batting stances?
All players in MLB 13 can be edited using these options.

Also, thanks to everyone for the great feedback and for continuing to play The Show! Really looking forward to hearing all of your comments after you get your hands on the mode and to making RTTS even better in MLB 14!

# 43 tabarnes19_SDS @ 02/27/13 02:43 PM
Nice job Kirby! ! RTTS will be a nice play this year for sure.

# 44 ILiveForThis @ 02/27/13 02:46 PM
That was amazing. Cannot wait.

# 45 Foo4Everlong @ 02/27/13 02:47 PM
I've NEVER played RTTS, nor have I been that interested, but I think this years gonna be different! This video really got me psyched to play RTTS! Great revamp! Later

# 46 barsoffury @ 02/27/13 02:54 PM
To the people getting a little annoyed about not getting the RTTS blog, There you go!

I'm a hardcore Franchise mode guy but with these improvements to RTTS I'm really going to have to give up more time to play this mode. Looks fantastic! Can't wait!

# 47 brewersfan84 @ 02/27/13 02:58 PM
All I can say is thanks for the improvements/changes, you guys rock!!

# 48 thaSLAB @ 02/27/13 03:00 PM
Nice peek at the new Topps Player of the Game cards.

Best part: "We've covered a lot of ground, and that's not everything..."

Kirby, did you mention the ability to look at the jumbotron? (Assuming it's still in)

# 49 soxin12 @ 02/27/13 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby_SCEA

Also, thanks to everyone for the great feedback and for continuing to play The Show! Really looking forward to hearing all of your comments after you get your hands on the mode and to making RTTS even better in MLB 14!
Kirby I can't thank you and SCEA enough for the hard work that you and your crew went through to make this game possible. I really appreciate you listening to what the fans want and bringing a whole new level of realism to the sport that we all love, and to us who cannot play in the majors sadly haha (which is only a handful anyhow. but still).

I have been an avid 'The Show' gamer since the first year RTTS was introduced and with all of the new upgrades, I will continue to buy the series. Bought a PS3 just for 'The Show' a few years ago, because it was an exclusive.

I cannot wait until midnight Tuesday, I will be buying the game as soon as I find a place that will open. Planning on having an all nighter before work And will definitely be providing impressions on day 1!

# 50 barsoffury @ 02/27/13 03:07 PM
I wonder if the goals have changed at all and how. Hopefully the OS guys can let us know when they give their impressions.

Regardless this just got my anticipation for the game revved up again. Great job by the guys from SCEA!

# 51 thaSLAB @ 02/27/13 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaw913
The atmosphere in Camden Yards at 1:33 is amazing to me. I love the way the overcast looks.

Does anyone know what ballpark that is at 3:02? I LOVE it. If it has been in the game for a while I have never seen it. Is it one of the 7 new ones?

Yes, that is Crystal Falls Stadium, one of the new ballparks.

# 52 UMhester04 @ 02/27/13 03:08 PM
I think I have a pretty neat idea for a future version of RTTS that can spice up game days once you get the the MLB. In my experience, once my guy reaches the MLB there is no real reward. Games just pass and the only thing left to do is make All-Star teams and get awards. I feel a more tangible way to reward us once we reach the MLB is to really make each day-to-day game feel different and exciting, rather than have it feel like you are just playing another game.

My idea is this; every minor league game pre-game would be exactly how it is now, but once you reach the MLB they will be much different for every game (or maybe just the big series' on the schedule.)

Step 1: The Batting Cage
When you select to start the game, you will be taken to the "under the bleachers" (and slightly larger than real life, for gaming purposes) batting cages. You will be wearing your teams Nike undershirt and shorts, and there can be a stereo in the background so you can have music playing (just to keep you in the moment). Here will be a quick mini-game where you have to hit the ball to the back of the cage on either the upper left, or upper right corners. Let's say if you hit either corner 6 times out of ten swings, your player will receive one or two bonus points towards hitting attributes for that game only. If you hit less than 4, you lose points.

Step 2: The Locker Room
Once you're done hitting in the cages, you will walk out the door and down into your team's locker room (these can be either cutscenes or you actually doing the walking, I just thought it would be kinda cool if you did the walking but I understand cutscenes are probably the way to go here). Again, there can be cool things like pictures on the walls, a stereo in the locker room, etc to keep you in the moment. Once here, you will walk over to your locker and this will essentially take you to the player equipment (edit player) screen. Here you can change your players walk up music, change if you are wearing sunglasses, maybe you want to wear a compression sleeve that day, etc.

Step 3: On-Field "Activities"
Once done at your locker, you will walk through the tunnel and onto the field. There are a variety of things one can come up with here, but for now let's just say you can take fungos/fly balls until you're comfortable. Then the game can go to a loading screen and you can take BP just like we have now (or maybe make up some kind of mini game for a few more points/save the points you lost in the cages.) Once done with this, the game will start.

I just feel that this is a cool way to simulate the grind of everyday baseball in a fun way, as well as make things feel more immersive than ever because you are taking your player through the confines of a stadium where most of us have never gone before. This is also a way to expand RTTS and the (kind of) off field actions, just like NBA 2K does so great; but this is a way to do it in another direction so it doesn't feel like a direct ripoff to their game. Thoughts?

# 53 Kirby_SCEA @ 02/27/13 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Nice peek at the new Topps Player of the Game cards.

Best part: "We've covered a lot of ground, and that's not everything..."

Kirby, did you mention the ability to look at the jumbotron? (Assuming it's still in)
No, I didn't mention that, but for those who want to know, when fielding, you can press R1 pre-pitch to look at the jumbotron/scoreboard.

# 54 pirates1fan @ 02/27/13 03:13 PM
Haha, the only problem now is there is to much to play. Holy crap! How am I supposed to get in Franchise, RTTS, The Show Live, Postseason, and Diamond Dynasty before next year with the PS4! UGH!!!!

Looks great though, can't wait for Tuesday!

# 55 OUSOONERS#1 @ 02/27/13 03:21 PM
Holy smokes SCEA !!!!!!! Love new camera after ball is hit very freaking awesome!!!! Also the way your career is tracked looks so much better then years past .Just hope trade logic is atleast toned down enuff for me to have a full career With the St Louis Cardinals OMG c'mon March 5TH

# 56 soxin12 @ 02/27/13 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
I think I have a pretty neat idea for a future version of RTTS that can spice up game days once you get the the MLB. In my experience, once my guy reaches the MLB there is no real reward. Games just pass and the only thing left to do is make All-Star teams and get awards. I feel a more tangible way to reward us once we reach the MLB is to really make each day-to-day game feel different and exciting, rather than have it feel like you are just playing another game.

My idea is this; every minor league game pre-game would be exactly how it is now, but once you reach the MLB they will be much different for every game (or maybe just the big series' on the schedule.)

Step 1: The Batting Cage
When you select to start the game, you will be taken to the "under the bleachers" (and slightly larger than real life, for gaming purposes) batting cages. You will be wearing your teams Nike undershirt and shorts, and there can be a stereo in the background so you can have music playing (just to keep you in the moment). Here will be a quick mini-game where you have to hit the ball to the back of the cage on either the upper left, or upper right corners. Let's say if you hit either corner 6 times out of ten swings, your player will receive one or two bonus points towards hitting attributes for that game only. If you hit less than 4, you lose points.

Step 2: The Locker Room
Once you're done hitting in the cages, you will walk out the door and down into your team's locker room (these can be either cutscenes or you actually doing the walking, I just thought it would be kinda cool if you did the walking but I understand cutscenes are probably the way to go here). Again, there can be cool things like pictures on the walls, a stereo in the locker room, etc to keep you in the moment. Once here, you will walk over to your locker and this will essentially take you to the player equipment (edit player) screen. Here you can change your players walk up music, change if you are wearing sunglasses, maybe you want to wear a compression sleeve that day, etc.

Step 3: On-Field "Activities"
Once done at your locker, you will walk through the tunnel and onto the field. There are a variety of things one can come up with here, but for now let's just say you can take fungos/fly balls until you're comfortable. Then the game can go to a loading screen and you can take BP just like we have now (or maybe make up some kind of mini game for a few more points/save the points you lost in the cages.) Once done with this, the game will start.

I just feel that this is a cool way to simulate the grind of everyday baseball in a fun way, as well as make things feel more immersive than ever because you are taking your player through the confines of a stadium where most of us have never gone before. This is also a way to expand RTTS and the (kind of) off field actions, just like NBA 2K does so great; but this is a way to do it in another direction so it doesn't feel like a direct ripoff to their game. Thoughts?
These are great ideas, I think. I mean it gives you a more feel for being in the virtual player's shoes, ya know.

While on the subject, I thought of a couple of things just off the top of my head that could only add to the overall value of the game (Not dissing the game at all, because right now as a user stated, the game offers so much it is almost impossible to jump into everything).

Anyhow, as a thought..

GM Mode/Create a Franchise
You may be thinking, we already have a Franchise mode.. Well this mode allows you to create your very own team and put that team into your favorite division. This could be a story driven game, similar to how NBA The Life used to be, or just a new take on Franchise mode giving the user the ability to create a team from scratch, make a stadium and see what it is like to start from nothing to something. This is definitely a lot being thrown out at one time, and other users may not even like this idea, but like i said.. It's just an idea.

I also agree with many others, that when you receive a contract in the game it truly means nothing besides your self worth. Cool I get $20 million a year, but my team cannot buy another player, because they are locked into my salary. I often times just take contracts at about 750k a year just to play for a team that makes it to the World Series consistently.
This may have been addressed in MLB 13, but just a thought..

Haven't even gotten MLB 13 and I'm already spewing about the next game . The PS4 is going to hold so much potential and I know for a fact that this series will see even bigger and brighter days.

# 57 OUSOONERS#1 @ 02/27/13 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby_SCEA

Jus wanted to give big Thank You for changes you have done to RTTS it is my fav mode and I am excited to get my hands on this years game.

# 58 dcmantommy72 @ 02/27/13 03:32 PM
Listen guys I am really excited to play this game, and of course appreciate all the hard work that goes into improving the game each year. And there are great improvements here that are going to be appreciated and extremely fun. (Although I am sort of hoping there is an option to keep in game commentary on, but maybe I wont even miss it)

NOW. As great as all that was, I feel there are many many bigger issues with the mode that have not been discussed, and seemingly have not been touched. Yes I am talking about the Advancement Goals, but also GM AI, and doing something to prolong the players involvement with his career. I was honestly looking for much more leading up to release. Yes the game is amazing, yeah its way more in-depth then mlb2k but... is that saying much? Or as much as it could?

I hope with the next gen around the corner we can get modes like RTTS and (mycareer in nba2k) where they could be worth 60$ on their own. I hope they take a good look at the fans wishlists this year and make this mode something truly epic.

You can be excited but never be satisfied.

(I am trying really hard not to put in MLB12 right now and play a Sox Yanks game to calm my excitement...)

# 59 barsoffury @ 02/27/13 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERS#1
Holy smokes SCEA !!!!!!! Love new camera after ball is hit very freaking awesome!!!! Also the way your career is tracked looks so much better then years past .Just hope trade logic is atleast toned down enuff for me to have a full career With the St Louis Cardinals OMG c'mon March 5TH
No trade clauses would be the simplest answer but maybe we get those next year.

# 60 eaw913 @ 02/27/13 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Yes, that is Crystal Falls Stadium, one of the new ballparks.
Thanks for the response. Love this game so much. The passion SCEA has for this sport is evident. Much appreciated.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.