Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

Thanks to Flaxseed Oil and a visit to his local Best Buy, we have a few MLB 2K13 player ratings, videos and impressions.
  • Graphics and menus are exactly the same as MLB 2K12.
  • A lot of commentary sounded exactly the same, but there are a few more lines, as noted in a video commenting on Bryce Harper's rookie campaign.
  • The ball seemed to be bouncing slightly differently. Couldn't put my finger on it, but it seemed lighter and bouncier.
  • Running looked a little different, as it seems like they did improve that animation.
  • I played an all-star game and didn't notice any new signature styles.
  • The colors do seem fixed with the uniforms, but Citi Field's colors seemed way off for the outfield wall. Almost looked powder blue.
  • Pitch speed seemed really, really slow...but that can be fixed.
  • The crowd did look a little better, but that might just be because of the TV I was playing on.
  • The pitching motions looked smoothed out...no more frame stuttering from what i could tell.
  • Astros in the AL.
  • I didnt see any inside the park home runs or glitches, but the outfield felt exactly the same. However, I do think they modified the fielding camera some...it felt more zoomed in on the main fielder than before and got closer as they approached the ball.

Some MLB 2K13 Player Ratings
  • Mesa - Yankees (AAA)(64)
  • Cano - Yankees (93)
  • Jeter - Yankees (88)
  • Granderson - Yankees (87)
  • Teixeira - Yankees (84)
  • Ichiro - Yankees (82)
  • Gardener - Yankees (82)
  • Rivera - Yankees (92)
  • Sabathia - Yankees (91)
  • Kuroda - Yankees (85)
  • Pettitte - Yankees (82)
  • Hughes - Yankees (81)
  • Logan - Yankees (80)
  • Robertson - Yankees (80)
  • Nova - Yankees (78)
  • Chamberlain - Yankees (77)
  • Rapada - Yankees (76)
  • Phelps - Yankees (76)
  • Aardsma - Yankees (62)
  • Rauch - Free Agent (81)
  • Braden - Free Agent (80)
  • Farnsworth - Free Agent (79)
  • Stauffer - Free Agent (79)
  • Wilson - Free Agent (79)
  • Lyon - Free Agent (78)
  • Zimmerman - Nationals (88)
  • Desmond - Nationals (86)
  • Harper - Nationals (85)
  • LaRoche - Nationals (84)
  • Werth - Nationals (83)
  • Morse - Nationals (83)
  • Stanton - Marlins (94)
  • Ruggiano - Marlins (85)
  • Pierre - Marlins (81)
  • Polanco - Marlins (74)
  • Dobbs - Marlins (73)
  • Morrison - Marlins (73)
  • Swisher - Indians (85)
  • Cabrera - Indians (83)
  • Brantley - Indians (80)
  • Santana - Indians (80)
  • Kipnis - Indians (78)
  • Aviles - Indians (76)
  • Posey - Giants (97)
  • Pence - Giants (86)
  • Pagan - Giants (86)
  • Scutaro - Giants (85)
  • Sandoval - Giants (83)
  • Belt - Giants (77)
  • Kemp - Dodgers (96)
  • Gonzalez - Dodgers (88)
  • Ethier - Dodgers (84)
  • Ramirez - Dodgers (83)
  • Crawford - Dodgers (80)
  • Hairston Jr. - Dodgers (77)
  • Kershaw - Dodgers (94)
  • Jansen - Dodgers (88)
  • Greinke - Dodgers (86)
  • Belisario - Dodgers (85)
  • Billingsley - Dodgers (83)
  • Beckett - Dodgers (82)
  • Upton - Diamondbacks (88)
  • Hill - Diamondbacks (87)
  • Goldschmidt - Diamondbacks (85)
  • Kubel - Diamondbacks (82)
  • Parra - Diamondbacks (82)
  • Montero - Diamondbacks (82)
  • Castro - Cubs (86)
  • Rizzo - Cubs (85)
  • Soriano - Cubs (81)
  • DeJesus - Cubs (79)
  • Barney - Cubs (77)
  • Schierholtz - Cubs (73)
  • Cespedes - A's (88)
  • Reddick - A's (86)
  • Crisp - A's (83)
  • Donaldson - A's (80)
  • Moss - A's (80)
  • Young - A's (79)
  • Altuve - Astros (84)
  • Lowrie - Astros (77)
  • Maxwell - Astros (75)
  • Wallace - Astros (75)
  • Dominguez - Astros (73)
  • Martinez - - Astros (71)
  • Trout - Angels (99)
  • Hamilton - Angels (95)
  • Pujols - Angels (93)
  • Aybar - Angels (86)
  • Trumbo - Angels (86)
  • Kendrick - Angels (83)
  • Nathan - Rangers (87)
  • Ogando - Rangers (85)
  • Darvish - Rangers (84)
  • Harrison - Rangers (84)
  • Ross - Rangers (83)
  • Soria - Rangers (80)
  • Price - Rays (98)
  • Rodney - Rays (94)
  • Hellickson - Rays (84)
  • McGee - Rays (82)
  • Peralta - Rays (81)
  • Niemann - Rays (79)
  • Chapman - Reds (92)
  • Cueto - Reds (91)
  • Latos - Reds (86)
  • Marshall - Reds (85)
  • Broxton - Reds (83)
  • Arroyo - Reds (83)
  • Dickey - Blue Jays (92)
  • Janssen - Blue Jays (85)
  • Morrow - Blue Jays (85)
  • Buehrle - Blue Jays (84)
  • Johnson - Blue Jays (83)
  • Oliver - Blue Jays (82)

Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Blzer @ 03/03/13 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
You are turning off one of the biggest advantages of 2K baseball by doing this imo. Batter's eye actually allows the game to differentiate between free swingers and guys that work pitchers for walks. It's based on player ratings so guys with good eyes get tipped more often. Yes it flashes too much on default (I liked 25 for the slider in 2K11) but it's a great, great feature and brings realism as well.

In the other game or without hitter's eye in this one there is no difference in your eye at the plate. You bring the same skill set in reading pitches to the batter's box as Miguel Cabrera or a pitcher. This game allows you to value the lighter hitting guys with good OBP. I do understand not liking to see video game displays and having to keep strike zone on to use it is not the best but I think you are missing out by not using this feature.
I don't like the hitter's eye in either game. You know why? It tells you where the pitch is going to be located before it is thrown. I despise this pseudo-authenticity tactic of giving us info before a pitch is thrown. Now, if it was dependent on a player maybe taking an educated guess (and perhaps being wrong) or noticing the pitcher tipping his pitch somehow during his delivery, that would be different. But it's not like that. Plus, as we said before, I don't like playing with a strike zone box on.

Neither 2K nor The Show have a hitter's eye that is revealing as the ball is being thrown. In fact, the only game to do that really was MVP Baseball 2005. I understand you're trying to differentiate your hitters, but I do that on my own. I know most of the players, and often try and do "what they do," so to speak.

I think the Batter's Eye is an okay feature, but it's a disgusting turn-off for me that is more of a nuisance to be given more information than you wanted. For instance, it will tell me if a pitch is outside, and then I start anticipating to swing at the pitch but now I am wondering so much more if the pitch will be a ball or a strike than I was before.

EDIT: I'm waiting for a game to have a ball cursor ala ASB and PYS/Power Pros, only it's a more transparent ellipse that starts to shrink as the ball comes in. Hitters with a better idea of the pitch will maybe have a smaller initial circle, and hitters with a worse idea will have a larger vicinity, etc. Now, keep in mind the cursor still may move depending on the type of pitch, especially if your hitter is expecting it to be one pitch and not the other, etc. I would dedicate a whole thread to this kind of system if I were to explain it in depth, so I'll save it for now, but the point right now is that these current systems, in my humble opinion, are nothing more than gimmicks or aids.

# 82 bkrich83 @ 03/03/13 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I don't like the hitter's eye in either game. You know why? It tells you where the pitch is going to be located before it is thrown. I despise this pseudo-realism tactic of giving us info before a pitch is thrown. Now, if it was dependent on a player maybe taking an educated guess (and perhaps being wrong) or noticing the pitcher tipping his pitch somehow during his delivery, that would be different. But it's not like that. Plus, as we said before, I don't like playing with a strike zone box on.

Neither 2K nor The Show have a hitter's eye that is revealing as the ball is being thrown. In fact, the only game to do that really was MVP Baseball 2005. I understand you're trying to differentiate your hitters, but I do that on my own. I know most of the players, and often try and do "what they do," so to speak.

I think the Batter's Eye is an okay feature, but it's a disgusting turn-off for me that is more of a nuisance to be given more information than you wanted. For instance, it will tell me if a pitch is outside, and then I start anticipating to swing at the pitch but now I am wondering so much more if the pitch will be a ball or a strike than I was before.
Lmao.

10 char.

# 83 econoodle @ 03/03/13 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Not totally true on the other game, there are some under the hood things going on.

However, I agree with you about the hitters eye. Love that feature, and to me was one of the few endearing features of the MVP series. It really adds to the pitcher/batter duel, IMO.
damn, never tried it in 2k.
I assumed it was a gimmick to make it easier.
I have been sleeping on this. I
ll try it now for sure.

# 84 bkrich83 @ 03/03/13 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
damn, never tried it in 2k.
I assumed it was a gimmick to make it easier.
I have been sleeping on this. I
ll try it now for sure.
Drop the slider down for it from default. Then play with it. To me it adds another level of strategy.

# 85 econoodle @ 03/03/13 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Drop the slider down for it from default. Then play with it. To me it adds another level of strategy.
ok thanks.

from what I gather, you can turn off strike zone and still have it?

# 86 bigfnjoe96 @ 03/03/13 11:35 AM
Quote:
ok thanks.

Yes you can.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

# 87 bkrich83 @ 03/03/13 11:37 AM
Quote:
ok thanks.

Yup.

10 char.

# 88 econoodle @ 03/03/13 11:46 AM
Quote:
I don't like the hitter's eye in either game. You know why? It tells you where the pitch is going to be located before it is thrown. I despise this pseudo-authenticity tactic of giving us info before a pitch is thrown. Now, if it was dependent on a player maybe taking an educated guess (and perhaps being wrong) or noticing the pitcher tipping his pitch somehow during his delivery, that would be different. But it's not like that. Plus, as we said before, I don't like playing with a strike zone box on.

EDIT: I'm waiting for a game to have a ball cursor ala ASB and PYS/Power Pros, only it's a more transparent ellipse that starts to shrink as the ball comes in. Hitters with a better idea of the pitch will maybe have a smaller initial circle, and hitters with a worse idea will have a larger vicinity, etc. Now, keep in mind the cursor still may move depending on the type of pitch, especially if your hitter is expecting it to be one pitch and not the other, etc. I would dedicate a whole thread to this kind of system if I were to explain it in depth, so I'll save it for now, but the point right now is that these current systems, in my humble opinion, are nothing more than gimmicks or aids.

i love the idea of getting a head start on what the pitch might be, using a guy like Miggy, but I don't like the idea that it tells you where it will be.

But thanks Big, N Rich.
i'll give it a go.

# 89 m1ke_nyc @ 03/03/13 12:47 PM

# 90 Blzer @ 03/03/13 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
I don't find the batter's eye as bad as it has been described. Yes, you get the info earlier than you would normally get it, but it still represents that innate sense a hitter gets of how a pitch is going to show up based on the pitching motion.
Since we were previously on the topic of Miggy, tell him what his Batter's Eye showed him on this pitch.

This is why I would be okay with a Guess Pitch feature like The Show, provided there are zero offensive boosts and there isn't an indicator before the ball is thrown.

If you look at my quick preview of what I would like to see in a game, imagine if you "guess fastball" and a ball comes high and tight. It should show that pitching ball cursor up and in on you, and you should be ducking out of the way. The problem is if that pitch is actually a curveball and breaks over the plate, then you'd look lost. That's what I'd like to see, kind of like how Cabrera guessed slider on this pitch. Maybe if the game told you what the player was looking for/guessing before the pitch (and you could adjust it if you'd like), then it would help out a little bit more as long as nothing is shown until the pitch is thrown.

Also, another idea I always had is if there was a strike zone created by the player's idea of what he likes to swing at. In other words, a Pablo Sandoval would have a box/shape that's much larger than the strike zone itself. Then it would psych you out into thinking that those pitches might be in the actual strike zone.

Anyway, I've had 2K10 for the past few years and am pretty much forced to use the Batter's Eye (because it will show up from time to time). I've never liked it. I like Inside Edge stuff though, and I never want 2K to get rid of that (though I'd like for them to increase its dynamic abilities).

Quote:
Well, they left it because a ton of gamers hated that Real Time ha been nerfed, while others liked the streamlined gameplay. I guess they could have called it something else, but calling it 2K10 explained exactly what it was to people that had 2K10.
I never questioned their intentions; you're making this bigger than it is. I'm just saying I chuckled at it because it was actually named that. Nothing more.

# 91 MizzouRah @ 03/03/13 01:07 PM
Thanks for the videos.. really appreciate it!

Game looks much more vibrant to me. Still on the fence, but I'll await impressions on the AI before purchasing.

I have a ps3 as well as an X360, but MLB 2k has always been a much more engaging game to me than The Show, even though The Show has so much going for it.

If the AI and franchise mode has been improved, I'll plunk down the money for it.

# 92 Blzer @ 03/03/13 01:09 PM
Quote:
The point is, the game is differentiating between which players guess well, and which ones don't.
I understand the intention of the feature, and I applaud 2K for having something in there. I don't understand why you were telling me I was playing the game wrong or not utilizing what 2K has offers to the best of my ability, though... what was even more confusing was when you said that I'm doing what everybody else is doing. I saw the way I played as completely different than the way every other YouTube video out there is.

And like I said, I like a hitter's eye, but not the way that 2K or The Show currently does it. I think there's a right and wrong way to do it, and IMO it's being done the wrong way in both games.

. . .

Steve, I posted in this thread because I assumed it would be a good "media" thread for people to see. Should I have a new thread for my specific videos, or can I request that mine are also inserted on the front page along with that new Tigers-Giants video that ratedmoney posted?

# 93 MizzouRah @ 03/03/13 01:11 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I'd love to see some videos of the last three innings, to see if the AI has been tuned up and improved regarding PH's and pitching changes.
+1000000

This will make it or break it for me.

# 94 Blzer @ 03/03/13 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
+1000000

This will make it or break it for me.
If I can go there again, I'll do a full game or something. I'll make sure my battery is fully charged.

# 95 rudyjuly2 @ 03/03/13 01:15 PM
Quote:
Since we were previously on the topic of Miggy, tell him what his Batter's Eye showed him on this pitch.
Screw you!
I prefer the SF vs Detroit video earlier where Miggy blasted one. Too bad the game doesn't have Tim L's short hair.

Quote:
This is why I would be okay with a Guess Pitch feature like The Show, provided there are zero offensive boosts and there isn't an indicator before the ball is thrown.
I love hitter's eye but hate Guess Pitch with a passion for three reasons.

1) Ratings have zero effect on guess pitch. A guy like Brandon Inge can guess just as successfully as Miggy. How good a pitcher is has no effect at all either.
2) You are 100% right all the time (no ratings involved). With hitter's eye (especially with a reduced slider) a great hitter might have the pitch tipped once or maybe twice an AB. A lousy hitter might never get tipped.
3) It ruins relief pitchers. Most relievers are two pitch guys, maybe three. A guy like Fernando Rodney is a fastball and change-up guy and is successful with two pitches. Using guess pitch you just guess fastball and you know 100% of the time what pitch is coming because if you are wrong you get change-up.

I understand you not getting tipped before the pitch is thrown and I would welcome an MVP type of system myself as long as it's ratings based and doesn't flash every time.

# 96 MizzouRah @ 03/03/13 02:10 PM
Quote:
If I can go there again, I'll do a full game or something. I'll make sure my battery is fully charged.
Really appreciate all you've done so far.

Would like to see you down say, 3-2 in the 7th inning and the CPU has two men on base with the pitcher coming up to bat. In 2k12, the CPU would let the pitcher hit and would sometimes yank him the next inning even AFTER he hit.

Your videos look great though and the game definitely shows a new coat of paint.

# 97 tvman @ 03/03/13 07:32 PM
Hitter's eye = The text you see indicating what pitch is coming, strikezone must be turned on for this to work (at least in 2k12). The frequency that you will see the "text" flash is controlled by the in game slider. Great feature replicating a batter identifying pitch type, only wish it worked with the strikezone turned off.

Batter's eye = The black circle that you aim to try and guess pitch location, this can be turned off in the controller section. I hate this feature and turn it off.

Batter's eye and hitter's eye are two entirely different things.

# 98 Blzer @ 03/03/13 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
Batter's eye and hitter's eye are two entirely different things.
However it is we're defining/interchanging these terms (for all I know, a hitter's eye could mean a hitter's backdrop and a batter's eye could mean a batter's retina), from my end of things, neither feature is worth enabling unless it's done in a more authentic manner, and if actually done right they would be merged into the same game tool/feature.

I'm not saying it's "better" turned off or anything like that, but this kind of began with Mt Oread telling me that I'm not using 2K's game system to the best of its ability. It's not so much that I was disagreeing with what he said, but it was the way he said it like I've never given hitter's eye a chance or truly knew what it was accounting for with the hitters or anything, or like I kept the screen pure for purity's sake.

# 99 DirtyJerz32 @ 03/03/13 09:41 PM
Every year we as gamers want companies to make their sports games better instead of adding new things. Maybe this is the approach 2k took with 13. I really liked 12 and hopefully 2k improved the game under the hood.

2k13 and Tomb Raider... Tuesdays gonna be crazy!

# 100 Pappy Knuckles @ 03/03/13 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32_OS
Every year we as gamers want companies to make their sports games better instead of adding new things. Maybe this is the approach 2k took with 13. I really liked 12 and hopefully 2k improved the game under the hood.

2k13 and Tomb Raider... Tuesdays gonna be crazy!
I'm really looking forward to both games on Tuesday as well. When I preordered 2K the other day, the cashier was looking at me like I was a ghost or something. "You sure you wanna get that man? You know The Show is coming out right?!" I got the same treatment when I got Pro Evolution Soccer last year as well. The guys at my local Gamestop trip me out.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.