Home
Tiger 14 News Post

The Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 demo is available now for Xbox 360 users (queue it up here). It weighs in at 1.98 GB.

PS3 users will have to wait until later this afternoon, when the PS Store updates.

UPDATE: The PS3 demo is available now.

Fans Get First Taste of Innovative Gameplay Features

Experience golf from the past and present, and play as golf icon Arnold Palmer in the all-new Legends of the Majors mode, experience the LPGA Tour and get a taste of the Connected Tournaments feature where players can compete online with friends.
  • The Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 demo features one of the most compelling modes in franchise history – Legends of the Majors. The featured challenge, 1961 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale, puts players in the shoes of golf legend Arnold Palmer, in the 1960’s era, with the legend’s era-specific attire, equipment and skills. Once the challenge is passed, gamers will unlock 1960’s Arnold Palmer for use in the full version of the game.

• For the first time in franchise history, the game will feature LPGA integration and gamers can get a preview of the LPGA via the all-new Quick Tournaments feature. Players can use LPGA golf phenom Lexi Thompson on a new course – Oak Hill Country Club.

• Golf in a “Twenty-foursome” through our all-new Connected Tournaments mode in the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 demo. Compete online against other players or friends and see as many as 23 shot arcs from other players on the course at the same time. Players can get a jumpstart on creating their country club tournaments by going to the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 website.

• The Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 demo will support motion control and continue the level of immersion as fans can play the demo with Kinect for Xbox 360 or Sony PlayStation Move controllers.

Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 13 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Gerg04 @ 03/08/13 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
This is exactly what is killing the game for me. I get that pros never hit a straight shot, but the angles are totally extreme. I don't understand it. I get if you are trying to bend some crazy shot around a bend or something, but a tiny little fade shouldn't be such a low percentage shot.

My thumb simply can't do it with any consistency. I can't even get any kind of a smooth swing going with the thumb. Basically, what I will have to do is turn the controller and try to swing with two fingers.

The past few years I just can't find a good difficulty to play with. Tour pro is mostly too easy, unless I try to draw or fade a shot. Anything above that and I don't think I can ever break par, even with practice. The demo only has perfectly easy conditions. Wait until the wind cranks up and the greens become lightning fast.
This is true about the conditions. I do enjoy the difficulty/reward but I tend to agree with you, I may always find it frustratingly hard. I don't mind having to draw or fad most shots, just wish there was a little more forgiveness. We'll see with the full game, I'm readying and willing to hunker down and be terrible for a little while as long as my game can eventually improve.

BTW if you're playing as tiger and using his default fade, try changing to a drawn its much more comfortable IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

# 162 DivotMaker @ 03/08/13 11:32 PM
Quote:
This is exactly what is killing the game for me. I get that pros never hit a straight shot, but the angles are totally extreme. I don't understand it. I get if you are trying to bend some crazy shot around a bend or something, but a tiny little fade shouldn't be such a low percentage shot.

My thumb simply can't do it with any consistency. I can't even get any kind of a smooth swing going with the thumb. Basically, what I will have to do is turn the controller and try to swing with two fingers.
Then turn Advanced Shot Shaping OFF in the Gameplay Options and you won't have to worry about it.

# 163 Love13 @ 03/08/13 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
Then turn Advanced Shot Shaping OFF in the Gameplay Options and you won't have to worry about it.
If he's worried about playing online this is not an option because the settings are set. If he's just wanting it for his career mode and doesn't care about online, I agree with you. If its simply looking for the right challenge during a career, I say just custom set your options to give you the right difficulty. And if it's online, just remember everyone you play against will have the same advantages or disadvantages as you, and it will be just like real life on any difficulty as far as the competition goes, meaning whoever is best with those advantages or disasvantages will win.

# 164 Jet Sufferer @ 03/09/13 12:31 AM
I've heard it mentioned that a couple of the devs are scratch golfers. I'm a scratch golfer too, actually a little better than that.

When you have a wedge in your you ARE trying to hit a straight shot, I was kind of surprised in the demo when coming in with wedges to still see the extreme fade path. It's HARD to draw or fade a wedge, lol, if I draw a sand wedge it's not on purpose.

So I was a little disappointed to see that, just like in real golf when you're in that scoring zone you're going right at the flag, not shaping a wedge in there. I was having a tough time hitting fairways then when I had a wedge in I was expecting to see the game give me the 6-12 o'clock shot.

Even with the shorter irons the ball will move less. In real life I hit a draw automatically, don't even have to think about it and my draw will draw a few more yards the longer the club. I think the game should reflect those small variations instead of 6-12 or 5-7, some variations in between.

Sometimes I would just spin the controller a bit so my thumb can just go 6-12 and hit the 5-7, but it feels like cheating, lol so I suck it up for the most part.

The game will be good at retail, it's pretty good now, except playing in the dark, I can only believe the graphics don't look good because it's an early build, the graphics were excellent in 12 and 13, no way they won't be great in 14, right?

This game will REALLY benefit from next gen systems. I hit some balls that were bad shots but NO WAY should they have been O.B. I know they can't render enough of the course, etc. but instead of ruining my round with an O.B. just give me some generic looking atmosphere to hit out of. I don't even care if it doesn't look the whole or the course I'm playing, don't punish me with O.B. on a ball that is on the course! Even just throw a random fan there on an O.B. ball and let it hit his thigh instead of sending me back to the tee with a 2 stroke penalty.

Also, the Marshalls are NOT doing their job here lol. I tried to punch out back into the fairway from the trees and instead of the Marshalls clearing a path for me they let these damn fans stand wherever they want. I go to punch out and some un-athletic lard butt in the gallery couldn't get out of the way of my punch out and it hit him and I'm STILL in the rough with the trees in my way.

Oh the trees, sigh. These trees, or more specifically the leaves are apparently made of iron with a plush coating of rich, corinthian leather covering them. This is the only way I can describe the physics of what happens when hitting these iron/leather leaves. I hope next gen we have leaves and branches reacting with the proper physics the way they do in real life.

# 165 Love13 @ 03/09/13 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Sufferer
I've heard it mentioned that a couple of the devs are scratch golfers. I'm a scratch golfer too, actually a little better than that.

When you have a wedge in your you ARE trying to hit a straight shot, I was kind of surprised in the demo when coming in with wedges to still see the extreme fade path. It's HARD to draw or fade a wedge, lol, if I draw a sand wedge it's not on purpose.

So I was a little disappointed to see that, just like in real golf when you're in that scoring zone you're going right at the flag, not shaping a wedge in there. I was having a tough time hitting fairways then when I had a wedge in I was expecting to see the game give me the 6-12 o'clock shot.

Even with the shorter irons the ball will move less. In real life I hit a draw automatically, don't even have to think about it and my draw will draw a few more yards the longer the club. I think the game should reflect those small variations instead of 6-12 or 5-7, some variations in between.

Sometimes I would just spin the controller a bit so my thumb can just go 6-12 and hit the 5-7, but it feels like cheating, lol so I suck it up for the most part.

The game will be good at retail, it's pretty good now, except playing in the dark, I can only believe the graphics don't look good because it's an early build, the graphics were excellent in 12 and 13, no way they won't be great in 14, right?

This game will REALLY benefit from next gen systems. I hit some balls that were bad shots but NO WAY should they have been O.B. I know they can't render enough of the course, etc. but instead of ruining my round with an O.B. just give me some generic looking atmosphere to hit out of. I don't even care if it doesn't look the whole or the course I'm playing, don't punish me with O.B. on a ball that is on the course! Even just throw a random fan there on an O.B. ball and let it hit his thigh instead of sending me back to the tee with a 2 stroke penalty.

Also, the Marshalls are NOT doing their job here lol. I tried to punch out back into the fairway from the trees and instead of the Marshalls clearing a path for me they let these damn fans stand wherever they want. I go to punch out and some un-athletic lard butt in the gallery couldn't get out of the way of my punch out and it hit him and I'm STILL in the rough with the trees in my way.

Oh the trees, sigh. These trees, or more specifically the leaves are apparently made of iron with a plush coating of rich, corinthian leather covering them. This is the only way I can describe the physics of what happens when hitting these iron/leather leaves. I hope next gen we have leaves and branches reacting with the proper physics the way they do in real life.
Jet, you are hilarious. This post cracked me up. I'm just under a 4 handicap, and grew up playing tournament golf as well. I love your complaints, even though they are light hearted humerous complaints they have some truth to them I can tell. Especially the gallery bit. Can't tell you how many times the spectators get in the way in these greens, it especially drives me crazy when I am by the green and I can't see my path to the hole or they are standing right behind me to where I would hit them in my back swing lol.

And the leaves have driven me insane for years. You touch a leaf and your ball drops straight down. It drives me crazy lol.

Thanks for my laugh of the evening.

# 166 Jet Sufferer @ 03/09/13 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love13
Jet, you are hilarious. This post cracked me up. I'm just under a 4 handicap, and grew up playing tournament golf as well. I love your complaints, even though they are light hearted humerous complaints they have some truth to them I can tell. Especially the gallery bit. Can't tell you how many times the spectators get in the way in these greens, it especially drives me crazy when I am by the green and I can't see my path to the hole or they are standing right behind me to where I would hit them in my back swing lol.

And the leaves have driven me insane for years. You touch a leaf and your ball drops straight down. It drives me crazy lol.

Thanks for my laugh of the evening.
Thanks, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip the waitresses.

I actually didn't take golf seriously until age 32 when my knees started getting rickety from years of basketball, other sports and running on asphalt roads, etc. Quick note to all you young dudes, STOP RUNNING on hard surfaces, ellipticals, etc are your friend, thank me in 20 years.

In one season I went from a total hack to a 2 handicap hitting 500-1000 balls a day, getting lessons and learning to give lessons from an old mini-tour player from Texas. I wish I started playing when I was a kid. Golf is the best sport and I love all sports, NEVER thought I would say that.

Back to the demo, if I remember correctly you could have slight variations of fade and draw paths to hit shots. Come to think of it I didn't try to move Tiger's feet in the demo to see if I could make the fade path less severe. Well if that's the worst of it the game will still be good, last year I only really played with my created player and hopefully with your created player you will be able to fiddle with the increments of the draw/fade path. I only really shaped shots when I needed to.

# 167 DivotMaker @ 03/09/13 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love13
If he's worried about playing online this is not an option because the settings are set. If he's just wanting it for his career mode and doesn't care about online, I agree with you. If its simply looking for the right challenge during a career, I say just custom set your options to give you the right difficulty. And if it's online, just remember everyone you play against will have the same advantages or disadvantages as you, and it will be just like real life on any difficulty as far as the competition goes, meaning whoever is best with those advantages or disasvantages will win.
There will be some online tournaments that have Adv Shot Shaping off is what I am hearing....however, the more users are playing and practicing, the more I am reading they get what EA has done and it is making sense and the challenge has been amped up which is the intent....

# 168 Hurricain @ 03/09/13 08:10 AM
Finally shot one under. I am playing simulation with the zoom, not having yardages is complete garbage so the zoom makes up for this.

Anyone else find a draw wayyy easier to hit then a fade?

# 169 Gerg04 @ 03/09/13 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricain

Anyone else find a draw wayyy easier to hit then a fade?
Wayyy easier.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

# 170 kerosene31 @ 03/09/13 11:08 AM
Quote:

As soon as I saw that, I instantly gave up on "sim" difficulty. After shanking my first drive into the trees, I wanted to hit a 5 iron punch out. It forced me to draw or fade the shot no matter what.

I'm not a scratch golfer, far from it, but I didn't even think you could put a lot of spin on a ball coming out of the rough.

I'm just trying to understand why things work a certain way. Are we going for realism or just trying to make it harder and harder on the freaks online who shoot -30 every tournament? Seems like the latter to me. I just want to find a balanced difficulty for an online country club. Hopefully with practice, tournament might work.

# 171 gbx34 @ 03/09/13 11:25 AM
there is way to much spin around the greens you hardly see balls stop and roll that much with backspin

# 172 Love13 @ 03/09/13 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx34
there is way to much spin around the greens you hardly see balls stop and roll that much with backspin
What do you mean? Like when your pitching or chipping on the game, your ball has too much back spin and does not roll far enough after landing?

# 173 Love13 @ 03/09/13 01:04 PM
Quote:
As soon as I saw that, I instantly gave up on "sim" difficulty. After shanking my first drive into the trees, I wanted to hit a 5 iron punch out. It forced me to draw or fade the shot no matter what.

I'm not a scratch golfer, far from it, but I didn't even think you could put a lot of spin on a ball coming out of the rough.

I'm just trying to understand why things work a certain way. Are we going for realism or just trying to make it harder and harder on the freaks online who shoot -30 every tournament? Seems like the latter to me. I just want to find a balanced difficulty for an online country club. Hopefully with practice, tournament might work.
To answer a couple of your questions. First off you are partially right on spin out of the rough. But there are a lot of different spins to put on a ball. It is very hard to put back spin out of the rough. It is also hard to shape a shot out of the rough, especially a specialty shot like a punch shot with a fade or draw to get around a tree and under the branches and run up the fairway, but it is possible. That is actually one of my favorite shots in real life. Don't get me wrong I don't like being put in that position, but I tell you when your out with some friends playing golf and you end up in the trees and you've got a tree in front of you, no way to hit the green and you club up, then hit a nice fading punch that curves around the tree and runs up the fairway right next to the green, there is almost nothing more rewarding or anything more that will impress your group then making a Brodie or saving par from that tee shot.

As for is it realism or hard for sake of hard. It's definitely a step towards realism. The fact is, when a skilled pro or even top competitive amateurs have spent so much time refining their swing to where they can shape shots on command to get advantages like extra roll, better control and simple course management, it is actually harder for them to hit a ball dead straight than to hit their "go to" shot of fade or draw off the tee. That's why even on a perfectly straight par 4 with the flag in the middle of the green you will still see every one of them hit a fade or draw off the tee.

As stated by jet earlier though, they still have a ways to go. They are missing key elements that need some work over the next couple editions. First and foremost, when in scoring range (essentially 150 yds and in) there should be an option for a straight shot. Because no pro, if they have a straight approach option at the flag, is going to try and shape a wedge into the green. Right now the only club you don't have to shape is your lob wedge I believe from what I've noticed. This should be an option for pretty much 8 or even 7 iron down. What's unknown by many is that one of the biggest advantages to shaping a shot is the fact that you increase distance over a straight shot. This also goes back to why a pro will shape a shot off the tee on a straight hole, to increase their roll after the ball lands, giving them an extra 10-20 yds off the tee. But short irons and wedges the pros are not concerned about power (this is one major difference between the average golfer and a pro) a pro does not care how far they can hit a short iron or wedge, they use those clubs simply for their accuracy. They will take the easiest approach possible to the green with a short iron or wedge. So this is something that I'm sure will be addressed in the future.

Another key element that is missing is a yardage book. I love that they took away the aim feature because you don't get binoculars on the PGA tour, but you do have a yardage book that tells you distances from the tee to every hazard on the course, as well as front of green, back of green, how far to carry both fairway and green side bunkers, as well as pin positions. Pin positions are given in feet. It will tell you the pin for Sunday is 15 ft deep (meaning 15 ft from the front edge) and 13 ft from the right or left side of the green. This allows for pros to have a good understand of how to play their shot. Not only on their approach but also from the tee. If they know the flag is back left tucked behind a green side bunker on a hole, they will ideally play their shot to the right side of the fairway so they can hit a high draw to the left side of the green to put it close and keep the green side bunker out of play.

Sorry about my long winded info over load, I just figured some explanation of things like yardage books and advantages to shot shaping might helps those that aren't knowledgable about these things that might be be reading since these areas have been brought up a lot in conversation.

For those that have read this whole thing, thanks for listening lol. I hope this was informative to at least one person, that way it was all worth it haha.

# 174 kerosene31 @ 03/09/13 01:27 PM
The yardage book is huge too. I don't know if you ever played TW11, but I thought it nailed it. You could go to a top down view of the hole with relevant yardages listed, but you had no aiming arrow until you went back to "true aim" which was basically the view you get from the tee only. Even though a golfer can't fly up in the air and see the hole, that seemed like a reasonable compromise, considering that's the kind of think a real caddie is going to have.

If only TW11 had online country clubs...

# 175 Jet Sufferer @ 03/09/13 02:10 PM
Agree that some of the things for simulation aren't really simulation.

Wind, I should have full access to wind information just like I do on the golf course, can it change when I swing? yes, happens all the time.

Yardage, that should not be hidden in any manner, any good player knows how far they hit their clubs and any player of any skill level has access to yardage to hazards, carry distances, etc.

Also Love13 mentioned flag positions, always need to know this, you'll always know this in a tournament and many courses even give you quadrants on the card. Even a static view of the pin is good, although I do miss the fly-bys (think they were on Sega Genesis too!) and you can access the fly-by's in the pause menu, but who has an extra 1.3 seconds to access that!

Greens, give me the info grids until next gen, I don't want to spend forever reading putts in a game. If I can get the same read with the grids in a much quicker manner than without than I'll go gridless next gen. (To be fair I haven't spent time trying to putt gridless in 14, in 13 there was too much randomness, not enough graphical quality and I can't imagine that has changed)

I think you should have access to all information and just make the results more severe in the execution of the swing on higher difficulties.

The information and equipment is not the challenge in golf, executing what you want to do with that equipment and information is. So give us all the info we need to speed up the game and make the execution more difficult on the higher skill levels, and not by making a short shot an extreme swing path. Perhaps they're trying to compensate for the video game savants, but they're the extreme minority and they'll master whatever quirk you give them in a week anyway. Make it more logical for us video game mortals.

# 176 DivotMaker @ 03/09/13 02:19 PM
Quote:
There is not a single PGA TOUR Pro who hits straight shots with any regularity. They play to their strengths which is either a Power Fade/Draw or a Control Fade/Draw. Another reason that the Simulation mode has Adv Shot Shaping is because it is easy to hit 6 to 12 o'clock on most 360 and PS3 controllers (more so the 360 is what I am hearing) taking away mis-hit potential on all shots. Sean Wilson (Tiger Executive Producer) posted the full reasons for this in the EA Tiger forums. When it was explained to those of us who attended TW Community Day, it made perfect sense and it IS intended to make scoring more realistic because the swing is not "on rails" by swinging 6 to 12 o'clock.....

# 177 DivotMaker @ 03/09/13 02:32 PM
Quote:
The information and equipment is not the challenge in golf, executing what you want to do with that equipment and information is. So give us all the info we need to speed up the game and make the execution more difficult on the higher skill levels, and not by making a short shot an extreme swing path. Perhaps they're trying to compensate for the video game savants, but they're the extreme minority and they'll master whatever quirk you give them in a week anyway. Make it more logical for us video game mortals.
I disagree. Information is a HUGE issue with videogame golf. You had loads of information in '13 (and still do in TW14 on lower or Custom difficulties) and once users figured out the consistent execution of their shots, you had crazy scoring results at -15, -20, and lower. It took me 4 days at TW Community Day to break PAR in the builds we were playing and the one round I did had something on the line. It was the TW CD Final Tournament to see who would win an autographed (by Tiger) copy of TW13 and a dozen EA Sports Nike Golf balls. I was probably on the lower half of skill among the attendees, but I managed to shoot a 67 at Augusta in Masters-like conditions because I was using a Control/Draw/High Trajectory golfer and I was able to hit fairways and greens and made a few putts along the way. I was lucky enough to win the tournament and beat players that routinely score in the teens under par in TW13 Tournament mode.

So, I believe once the game ships, you are going to have to put in some practice time to get competitive at TW14 in Simulation mode. Heck, the best 3 hole round I have scored so far in the demo is -2 and that is because I hit fairways and greens and did not bomb my drives leaving me with longer than normal approaches, but not approaches from the rough. And putting is not a crapshoot completely if you spend a bit of time reading the lie of your ball and the horizon behind the cup once you zoom. I do agree that I wish we could zoom to get a view behind the cup like we can in '13, but even then I was making 30 footers pretty routinely in '13, where I am not making them nearly as often in the '14 demo.....I think you guys will see better results when you can create your own golfer and set him up to play the way you prefer instead of using baked in attributed Pro's....

# 178 i3man @ 03/10/13 04:35 AM
What exactly does the live tournament in the demo do? I played live tournament on simualtion mode and posted -3. I've never owned a TW series game ever. I played the demo for about 30 minutes and was horrible in simulation mode scoring mostly doubles and triples then I messed around with the settings and found I could change the swing stick to the right stick and walla...I turned from hacker into a pretty decent golfer.

I've played golf in real life for over 30 years and used to be a huge fan of the PGA series on PCs but never could get into console golf. The only console games I've played over the past 12 years has been Madden and NCAA football. So the right stick is the kicking stick in football games so it felt much more comfortable using it to swing.

Like others have said if you stay out of the rough it's not that difficult to score in simulation mode. I think this is going to be my first ever purchase of a TW game on console.

# 179 Love13 @ 03/10/13 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3man
What exactly does the live tournament in the demo do? I played live tournament on simualtion mode and posted -3. I've never owned a TW series game ever. I played the demo for about 30 minutes and was horrible in simulation mode scoring mostly doubles and triples then I messed around with the settings and found I could change the swing stick to the right stick and walla...I turned from hacker into a pretty decent golfer.

I've played golf in real life for over 30 years and used to be a huge fan of the PGA series on PCs but never could get into console golf. The only console games I've played over the past 12 years has been Madden and NCAA football. So the right stick is the kicking stick in football games so it felt much more comfortable using it to swing.

Like others have said if you stay out of the rough it's not that difficult to score in simulation mode. I think this is going to be my first ever purchase of a TW game on console.
Simulation mode takes away all the assistance of the lower difficulties. Such being to zoom in down the fairway while aiming your shot, green grids that show the breaks in the greens with beads that show how fast the greens break. Also a putt preview that shows the line your ball will roll. There's a caddie feature that essentially aims your shots for you. You can also control the spin of the ball in the air, how fast and what direction your ball will spin. You also don't have to use advance shot shaping. This allows you yo just aim and hit a straight shot instead of always hitting a draw or fade. Plus when you do choose to shape a shot the penalties are less severe than if you are playing on simulation.

I would recommend you play a round on pro or amatuer difficulty just to see the difference in using simulation. This will help you understand the physics of the game a little better, as well as understand why the community has asked for a simulation style difficulty. All in all, -3 on simulation is something to be proud of. Honestly since you have never played one of these games it may have given you an advantage because you never got used to playing with all the assistants that have been taken away. So for us it's extreme at times, for you it's just playing golf lol.

# 180 i3man @ 03/10/13 05:05 PM
I played for another 30 minutes or so after and made a bunch of doubles or higher. Everything was dependent on the tee shot. The rough seems overly penal almost like US Open rough. I wasn't watching Tiger when I swing I was watching the stick instead.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.