Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

EA Sports and West Virginia University had a meeting last July to discuss how they can create a realistic recruiting process in NCAA Football 14. EA Sports Producer Ben Haumiller stated it has gotten a little stale and wants to give it a fresh look and feel.

Quote:
"There are definitely features that we've added and things that have happened that are based on the conversation we had with them," producer/designer Christian McLeod said. "There are a couple key points that eventually we'll be able to talk about that are the direct result of the conversation we had."

Expect recruiting to be more realistic. That was the only goal Hammond and Dorchester had. They found it odd a player never de-committed. They noticed variables like academics, coaching changes and the success of a season weren't factored into the process. They didn't think junior college recruits were represented in ways that explain their value.

Source - WVU football: EA Sports reflects Mountaineers recruiting (Daily Mail)

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 UMhester04 @ 03/19/13 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard_Nation
I don't think that EA has its gameplay, dynasty, presentation, and marketing team focused on West Virginia's tips. Nowhere did they say they are ignoring "awkward running" in fact I fully expect for them to improve on it this year.

I think it's safe to assume they are leaving it alone since they haven't touched it for about 4 years

# 62 TarHeelPhenom @ 03/19/13 09:39 PM
As a person who keeps up with recruiting faithfully, I can tell you de-committing happens a lot. A verbal nowadays is nothing more than a recruit reserving a spot for themselves while they continue to look around...especially when they commit early in the process. There are different variables as to why a kid de-commits. As their season progresses they continue to collect offers from bigger named schools and get stars in their eyes...the team they commit to brings in multiple players at their position...the team has a down year...the head coach or their position coach leaves for whatever reason... and "pressure" from outside influences. With that being said I'm very reserved when it comes to NCAA 14 and I'm a do my best not to jump on the hype train. I also hope the generic editor will be able to work for the game as well...and that's all ill say about that!

# 63 illwill10 @ 03/20/13 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMagic91
So when do yall think some kind of info will start rolling through? With Spring Ball starting and stuff im ready to see what they have lined up.
I want to say early April. We usually get a early blog about direction of game. I expect to see the 1st pic in the coming weeks

# 64 darren1024 @ 03/20/13 04:06 PM
Its usually been mid-March when the 1st bit of info came out, so Im hoping any day now.

# 65 Mckinley Cash @ 03/20/13 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1024
Its usually been mid-March when the 1st bit of info came out, so Im hoping any day now.
I have a feeling that NCAA and Madden are more intertwined this year than previous years, and maybe that's why info hasn't come out yet. They don't want any Madden info leaking with NCAA info.

# 66 darren1024 @ 03/20/13 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckinley Cash
I have a feeling that NCAA and Madden are more intertwined this year than previous years, and maybe that's why info hasn't come out yet. They don't want any Madden info leaking with NCAA info.
If your right, looks like we might not get any info til the NFL draft in late-April and that would totally suck! Guessing they dont want to show the Infinity Engine 2.0...

# 67 Mizzou24 @ 03/20/13 06:50 PM
I hope they bring back draft classes :-)

# 68 BenGerman @ 03/20/13 09:05 PM
I'm a little worried there hasn't been any info yet.

It could end up not being a big deal, but it could also mean they have less to show off than usual. We'll see how it turns out, but they almost always have stuff out by now and we have yet to hear a peep about the game.

# 69 LastExit @ 03/20/13 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
I'm a little worried there hasn't been any info yet.

It could end up not being a big deal, but it could also mean they have less to show off than usual. We'll see how it turns out, but they almost always have stuff out by now and we have yet to hear a peep about the game.
Wouldn't this "realistic recruiting" count as info?

# 70 Mckinley Cash @ 03/20/13 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastExit
Wouldn't this "realistic recruiting" count as info?
I think he means something directly from EA, relating to a feature in the game, not a newspaper in WV.

# 71 LastExit @ 03/21/13 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckinley Cash
I think he means something directly from EA, relating to a feature in the game, not a newspaper in WV.
Sorry....I thought that EA had issued a press release as well.

# 72 d11king @ 03/21/13 03:28 AM
Only one bit of info I'm interested in, cause I'm not getting the game if OD's can still only be a max of 12 users...

# 73 w00dy Hayezz @ 03/21/13 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d11king
Only one bit of info I'm interested in, cause I'm not getting the game if OD's can still only be a max of 12 users...
I wish it would expand as well, but i have the feeling that will be a next gen feature if we get it at all.

# 74 BenGerman @ 03/21/13 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastExit
Sorry....I thought that EA had issued a press release as well.
No worries, I should have clarified!

# 75 Sundown2600 @ 03/27/13 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCebErgSLiM369
I miss the old fashioned ps2/xbox recruiting. It was fast, simple, and better implemented. I love spending hours in the preseason comparing and scouting recruits but once I my board up, recruiting becomes tedious and a chore. Nobody wants to spend 20min before every game making fake phone calls. Yes I know you can have the computer do it for you but the cpu spends more time filling your board with randoms than effectively going after just the players you've targeted.

In a test I ran yesterday, first year of a new dynasty, recruiting myself leaving nothing to the computer I pulled in the number 3 overall recruting class with 3* Northwestern. Added depth at every position other than qb, cb and special teams including 4 new starters on the oline which was the most glaring need. Reloading the file and this time allowing the cpu to handle all recruiting responsibilities and starting with the same 25man recruiting board, I ended up with the 30th class which was fine for a 3* program. The problem is its obvious the computer doesn't evaluate your roster at all. For instance i had 9 offensive linemen returning, but only two of whom id feel comfortable starting. The others were lowly rated bums. The cpu didnt recognize the lack of talent at the position and didnt make it a priority because there are enough "bodies". Until the cpu can better identify team needs, better utilize the position change feature, and drop a player from the recruiting board (especially after 2 better guys committ), recruiting is not going to feel fresh and realistic.

Honestly, I'd rather ben and company spend time at west virgina in the film room trying to nail down various blocking schemes. Until all the ratings and schemes are better implemented into deciding onfield results in gameplay, spending all this time recruiting just seems like a waste.
Outstanding post!

# 76 BearsNVA @ 05/27/13 04:23 PM
I hope they do something like FIFA, where the accuracy of the recruits you get on your "list" to communicate with, are based on the abilities of your scouts.

One of the things that's stupid now, is if you waste enough "scouting," minutes, you know exactly what you get. In real life however, that's not always the case.

You might have a scout that says, "this kid is amazing," but when he reports to pre season camp, he's not exactly going to be an All American. Everything starts with the scout in real life. If your scout is only a moderate judge of talent, you're going to have hits or misses.

This would also in some ways fix the scouting points. In FIFA for instanse, you send the scout out for 3 months to, say, England. The longer you have a potential player on your list, the more his attributes are shown.

In a football game, instead of it being 3 months, it would be 3 weeks. The scout would be able to watch 3 games on a Friday night, and be able to get a good feel.

I guess in my opinion, it would be more fun to get better scouts, as opposed to monotonously using 10, 20, 30,etc. scouting minutes to find out EXACTLY what the player is like.

In FIFA I always like not knowing the precise attribute numbers of a player until he's signed to the team.

How do you get better scouts/upgrade your scouting department? Haven't really thought about that

# 77 Nooooovak @ 05/27/13 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsNVA
I hope they do something like FIFA, where the accuracy of the recruits you get on your "list" to communicate with, are based on the abilities of your scouts.
I would really like this. Even though I liked the addition of gems and busts, I hated how you knew exactly what you were getting in every single recruit.

# 78 TryHard_Nation @ 05/27/13 07:31 PM
Tomorrow we'll find out how much this partnership did hopefully.

# 79 KobeDwight2412 @ 05/27/13 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard_Nation
Tomorrow we'll find out how much this partnership did hopefully.
Do you know at what time they will be live streaming?

# 80 Storm12 @ 05/27/13 10:13 PM
If the recruiting is to be improved I want to be able to recruit like army and navy has to when playing as them. As far as I know they need to recruit players at specific heights/weights because of the service requirements. It would be nice if that was in the game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.