Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

It looks like Ultimate Team is headed to NCAA Football 14. According to a pre-order bonus at GameStop, you will receive an exclusive NCAA Football Ultimate Team SEC Conference Pack, which includes key SEC players and bonus game extension to get your star player off the bench and back on the field.

It remains to be seen how EA plans to implement Ultimate Team for a game which you can't have actual licensed players. Are they going to use generic players, past greats? One would think there has to be real players to have marketability for paid DLC, which is what the Ultimate Team modes are built around. It's not surprising EA is bringing this type of mode to NCAA, but it will be interesting to see how they implement it.

UPDATE: Polygon has just confirmed with EA Sports.

What are your thoughts on Ultimate Team in NCAA Football 14?

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 TDenverFan @ 04/02/13 09:56 PM
Is there any way to play this without spending real money?

If it's historical players this could be pretty cool.

# 42 CT Pitbull @ 04/02/13 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTSTOPPER
When thousands upon thousands of people stop paying for Ultimate Team credits to boost their teams and stop playing the game mode. Until then, the minority who don't care for the trading card game, will just have to deal with it. FWIW, i'm not big on Ultimate Team either.
i dont know about calling the people who DONT care about the card games the "minority" ..i really think you have that backwards as far as the percentage of people that participate frequently in this mode on a daily basis vs everyone who may give it a look and move on to franchise /dynasty etc

# 43 SuperNoVa27 @ 04/02/13 10:02 PM
Can't wait to spend 10,000 coins on RB #5

# 44 Xx_JP_VHS_xX @ 04/02/13 10:37 PM
My god this sounds stupid.

# 45 HARTSTOPPER @ 04/02/13 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Pittbull
i dont know about calling the people who DONT care about the card games the "minority" ..i really think you have that backwards as far as the percentage of people that participate frequently in this mode on a daily basis vs everyone who may give it a look and move on to franchise /dynasty etc
What I meant by minority, is that there are more people who pay to play ultimate team than those who do not. I am comfortable in making that assumption as I believe it to be true.

# 46 CM Hooe @ 04/02/13 10:49 PM
I'll say this much, I think I could get interested in an NCAA Ultimate Team mode moreso than a Madden Ultimate Team mode for one big reason: TeamBuilder. The thing that bothers me most with MUT is that I never really feel like the team is mine; I'm playing with an NFL team's uniforms at a stadium that often doesn't match. I want the team to be MINE if I'm going to invest any money into it.

I could also see it as a bit of an educational resource for me; I've sorta fallen out of college football over the past year or two, and maybe if time is taken to ensure every real player is represented somewhat correctly, building a good team in the game will help me pay more attention to real-life happenings.

That said, if there aren't real players and it's a traditional card-based mode, I'm not bothering. I'm not going to pay for the Gold card of UVA LT #78. They need to have his name and likeness attached (in this case, senior Morgan Moses) if I'm going to care.

Finally, I do wonder if NCAA Ultimate Team is going to be something entirely different altogether, with more of a result-driven team-building concept, purchasing upgrades for a custom roster rather than purchasing real-player cards. Kinda like a football RPG with a TeamBuilder skin. I'm just spitballing at this point, admittedly.

We'll see.

# 47 BLACKjersey53 @ 04/02/13 10:55 PM
I'll try it just like I have with MUT, but sadly, I see this being something I forget about completely once I earn the achievements tied into this mode. IF, somehow they could/do use actual (past) players, having a ton of RG3s and Devin Hesters on the field may make things interesting, but I think my expectations for a college based ultimate team are unrealistic.

# 48 jseward92 @ 04/02/13 11:12 PM
Maybe they are preparing for the end? The players are going to win the lawsuit so they are just going all out and using real players? lol

# 49 MacDiiddy @ 04/03/13 01:12 AM
I would love to see the old "ultimate" and "classic" teams make a come back.

I always enjoyed going through the teams and seeing QB 1999, and trying to figure out who that was.

Just please, please, please do not make the focus of the game like they did Road to the Heisman. Add the teams for some fun and variety and leave it at that.

# 50 Scribe1980 @ 04/03/13 01:54 AM
zzzzzz. the players are going to be fake anyway.

# 51 Greekcian @ 04/03/13 09:20 AM
How are they gonna do it if they can't use real college athletes? Maybe they'll do it like Diamond Dynasty with a lot of editable fake players and some college legends. Like you buy a pack and you receive a 5-star QB recruit or something (with like a 12 game contract which can only be renewed 4 times or something).

# 52 Steve_OS @ 04/03/13 11:48 AM
Confirmed, more news on it today.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/3/4178...mate-team-mode

# 53 LucianoJJ @ 04/03/13 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntt26
So... they are going to charge real $$ to "pay" for college kids to play on these ultimate teams when they are in the middle of a lawsuit? Sounds like a bad idea.

I'm up for the game mode, but the timing is strange.

I agree. Keller and O'Bannon's lawyers are going to take a close look at this feature, I bet. Ultimate Team is addicting. Once you get into it, you tend to overlook the flaws of the game, and focus on winning the games to increase points. Then you obsess over how you are going to use those points. Ultimate Team changed the way I approached FIFA. I predict a lot of NCAA people who generally obsess over OD and Teambuilder will get hooked on this. But those people will also rip it to shreds if it is poorly implemented.

I could see Ultimate Team being a part of the recruiting process. You open a pack as a recruiting class, for example. You could be required to have a certain amount of XP to sign a 5-star recruit. You may have to upgrade facilities, staff, assistant coaches, and equipment. The players you recruit will have to be of a certain style of offense or defense, or else your team chemistry or their stamina will suffer. There are a lot of possibilities here that could make Road To Glory forgotten.

# 54 johnnyg713 @ 04/03/13 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucianoJJ

I agree. Keller and O'Bannon's lawyers are going to take a close look at this feature, I bet. Ultimate Team is addicting. Once you get into it, you tend to overlook the flaws of the game, and focus on winning the games to increase points. Then you obsess over how you are going to use those points. Ultimate Team changed the way I approached FIFA. I predict a lot of NCAA people who generally obsess over OD and Teambuilder will get hooked on this. But those people will also rip it to shreds if it is poorly implemented.

I could see Ultimate Team being a part of the recruiting process. You open a pack as a recruiting class, for example. You could be required to have a certain amount of XP to sign a 5-star recruit. You may have to upgrade facilities, staff, assistant coaches, and equipment. The players you recruit will have to be of a certain style of offense or defense, or else your team chemistry or their stamina will suffer. There are a lot of possibilities here that could make Road To Glory forgotten.

I agree with you. For the people complaining about ultimate team, I would recommend giving it a shot. I'm not a offline guy. I love playing online but miss the RPG element of franchise (Online franchise does not cut it for me based on having to wait for everyone to ready up or scheduling times to play each other. Quick games is where it's at.) Building a team based on how your players fit your system and fit playing with each other is addicting. Football especially. I'm excited for this mode.

# 55 ELDoro @ 04/07/13 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldman011teen
When will EA realize that no one gives a fug about these card game modes?
speak for your self! I like these modes!

# 56 EMbow513 @ 04/07/13 08:50 PM
WOW I AM OFFENDED THIS IS A FEATURE, THE FEATURE IS BEYOND LAME IN MADDEN AND NOW NCAA? WHAT THE HELL ARE WE GONNA DO WITH ULTIMATE TEAM IN NCAA. I SWEAR EA KNOWS HOW DUMB THE GAMERS ARE AND WILL PUT OUT ANY BS AND YOU PEOPLE WILL ENJOY IT. ALL THE TIME SPENT MAKING ULTIMATE TEAM IS WASTED, FOCUS ON GAMEPLAY

# 57 gzenius @ 04/08/13 12:42 AM
yeah i dont know how it could work without player names and real pictures.. seem kinda corny but it could be cool with so many different college players. i love the idea of it in madden, they just ruin it by making so many 99 everything cards.

# 58 Sundown2600 @ 04/08/13 02:27 AM
EA is really good at making money. I give them that

# 59 goillini03 @ 04/09/13 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown2600
EA is really good at making money. I give them that
Yes they are. I wasted money on this mode on NHL and won't make that mistake again. Too much money spent to get awful players and the mode bored me within hours of starting it. Give me better presentation and improved franchise instead of this any day.

# 60 NDAlum @ 04/09/13 11:03 AM
I detest this mode and personally think it's a giant waste. I can't stand the direction these games are heading in with these modes.

I do understand their motive, however.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.