Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has posted the first Madden NFL 25 screenshot, as well as a few details on the new Run Free Ball Carrier feature.

Quote:
...the game will highlight a "run free ball carrier feature" that will offer "unprecedented ball-carrier control and precision."

What are you hoping to see out of this new Run Free Ball Carrier feature?

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Valdarez @ 05/10/13 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
Will running at 60fps be achievable? And if so, will that smooth out Madden? Make for better "branching" animations? Are they going all "physics"? Will that allow for smoother game play, or will the "decisions/calculations" of a "physics engine" slow down the game?

What does Madden on PS2 run at?
Hard to say. I 'hope' they design it so it can run at 30fps minimum and ideally at 60fps. Don't confuse rendering the game with playing the game. The game plays at 60fps which is what they will tell us as an attempt to spin the topic, but it only renders at 21 fps or so.

So if we have a gameplay line and a rendering line it would look like something like the following:

.GAMEPLAY - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
RENDERING - X
XXX XX XXX XX X XX XXX XX XX

The gameplay is able to receive and process inputs at any point in time during that 1 second interval, but the rendering can only display changes at set times during the interval with discrete places where changes to the game will be skipped. This is the reason both Madden and NCAA have looked so choppy on this generation of hardware.

Hopefully EA Sports has learned from the sins of the past and will design the new engine in a way that can support their football game such that it not only looks great (visually still shots) but renders properly as well. If press releases are to be believed, we may see the new engines at this years E3, which isn't too far away now.

# 142 RGiles36 @ 05/10/13 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Hard to say. I 'hope' they design it so it can run at 30fps minimum and ideally at 60fps. Don't confuse rendering the game with playing the game. The game plays at 60fps which is what they will tell us as an attempt to spin the topic, but it only renders at 21 fps or so.

So if we have a gameplay line and a rendering line it would look like something like the following:

RENDERING - X
XXX XX XXX XX X XX XXX XX XX

The gameplay is able to receive and process inputs at any point in time during that 1 second interval, but the rendering can only display changes at set times during the interval with discrete places where changes to the game will be skipped. This is the reason both Madden and NCAA have looked so choppy on this generation of hardware.

Hopefully EA Sports has learned from the sins of the past and will design the new engine in a way that can support their football game such that it not only looks great (visually still shots) but renders properly as well. If press releases are to be believed, we may see the new engines at this years E3, which isn't too far away now.
Insightful post, good stuff. Never quite understood why the game appeared so choppy.

# 143 Valdarez @ 05/10/13 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
Insightful post, good stuff. Never quite understood why the game appeared so choppy.
There are missing animations as well with regards to movement/player interaction and such, but if you recall prior generations of Madden, the game appeared far smoother then, even with the missing animations (and they had far more missing animations). Couple missing animations with poor rendering and it just compounds the problem from a visual / in motion aspect.

# 144 Trick13 @ 05/10/13 11:36 PM
Quote:
There are missing animations as well with regards to movement/player interaction and such, but if you recall prior generations of Madden, the game appeared far smoother then, even with the missing animations (and they had far more missing animations). Couple missing animations with poor rendering and it just compounds the problem from a visual / in motion aspect.
Thanks for the breakdown and hopefully as you said "EA learned a hard lesson" this gen in terms of render rate and missing animations because it has sure been hard on us gamers to watch - M13 is not pleasing to the eyes on any level when the game is in motion...

# 145 speedy9386 @ 05/11/13 12:45 AM
Quote:

RENDERING - X XXX XX XXX XX X XX XXX XX XX

lol maybe they should send you up there and help improve the game

# 146 kjcheezhead @ 05/12/13 11:00 AM
Quote:
That's caused due to the game only rendering 21 fps or so. That problem can't be fixed until next generation apparently due to poor design decisions when Madden was originally ported from last generation to current generation hardware.
I've heard a million times that this game wasn't a port. I'm taking it you mean they made bad design decisions with Madden 06?

At any rate, I wish EA would've just said that sometime in that past 6-7 years. I think a lot of complaints asking Madden to fix the "engine" were referring to this problem. It would've made more sense to just say this instead responding year after year with an answer like "Which engine? Madden is made up of several engines."

# 147 speedy9386 @ 05/12/13 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I've heard a million times that this game wasn't a port. I'm taking it you mean they made bad design decisions with Madden 06?

At any rate, I wish EA would've just said that sometime in that past 6-7 years. I think a lot of complaints asking Madden to fix the "engine" were referring to this problem. It would've made more sense to just say this instead responding year after year with an answer like "Which engine? Madden is made up of several engines."
So infinity engine is gonna be on the next gen too?

# 148 Valdarez @ 05/13/13 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead

There's porting and porting. It wasn't a direct port in the sense we think of when they build a game for say the PC and then port it to the PS3.

When Ian was on the forums back in the M10 days, he did mention the design issue where too much memory/space was given to the character models, which in turn is what caused all of the problems adding new things to the game and in turn to the rendering.

Personally think they dropped the character models textures a bit in M11 or M12 (forget which, but one of them, think it was 12) and that's how they've managed to introduce 3D grass better presentation and such. Have absolutely nothing to back that up other than my own observations.

# 149 speedy9386 @ 05/13/13 01:21 AM
Can't wait til I'm able to run with this guy

At 5:10 he moves like a madden player it's crazy

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.