Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

Another NBA 2K13 roster update arrived this morning updating 14 players. Chandler Parsons and LaMarcus Aldridge had some of their ratings adjusted, but it didn't affect their overall rating.
  • J.R. Smith - New York Knicks +2 (84)
  • Iman Shumpert - New York Knicks +1 (81)
  • Jason Kidd - New York Knicks -1 (79)
  • Tobias Harris - Orlando Magic +7 (75)
  • Nikola Vucevic - Orlando Magic +5 (73)
  • Reggie Evans - Brooklyn Nets +3 (66)
  • Gerald Wallace - Brooklyn Nets -3 (74)
  • Mike Conley - Memphis Grizzlies +1 (83)
  • Tony Allen - Memphis Grizzlies -1 (75)
  • Steve Nash - Los Angeles Lakers -1 (82)
  • Jodie Meeks - Los Angeles Lakers +1 (69)
  • John Wall - Washington Wizards +3 (85)
Thomas Robinson for the Rockets is finally wearing #41. Thanks Rashidi.

Nothing else changed from the update that was released yesterday, which adjusted injured/recovered players.

To see the complete list of updates, make sure you visit The Real 2K Insider.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 cj2008nw @ 04/05/13 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Bad example...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Green_(basketball)

He still had to play his way into the contract that he currently has. The Spurs gave him a second chance, and he played his way into a 3-year contract. Also, when teams talk about scouts, it's normally when people are getting information about college players that they're planning on drafting. Plus, the only time that I ever hear the comment "the best scouts in the NBA" is when they discuss how well the Spurs have drafted.

Doesn't matter a GM that is good will know what players to get that will fit into the offense they run and the only way you would know that is unless you scout them to see what your getting....

Basketball is more than a stat based game

# 102 cj2008nw @ 04/05/13 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaky McFloorburn
I just want to point out that 2K's consistency rating is defined as the ability to maintain a hot streak or easily get out of a shooting slump. Their definition has nothing to do with what people think of as being consistent IRL, but that doesn't matter here.

Is J.R. Smith the kind of player who maintains an even level of performance from game-to-game and season-to-season? Absolutely not.

Is J.R. Smith the kind of player who forgets about the last shot immediately and can get ridiculously hot or shoot himself out of a slump easily? Certainly.

J.R. isn't consistent by any common practical definition, but in 2K's world of esoteric and occasionally absurd vocabulary, where potential means actual and consistency means irrational confidence, he might deserve the highest rating in the game.
Name 3 players in the game who are more consistent then Jr Smith in real life but have a lower consistency rating the JR

# 103 Streaky McFloorburn @ 04/05/13 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj2008nw
Name 3 players in the game who are more consistent then Jr Smith in real life but have a lower consistency rating the JR
Why stop at 3? It could be almost every player with a lower rating or no players at all, depends on your lens. Even if a player is the worst shooter in the NBA, as long as you can rely on that every game then they're very consistent.

You might want to re-read the post. I said he does deserve a high consistency rating, at least based on the definition given in the game and the way that high ratings are most often handed out.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I just wanted to point out that sometimes the huge gap between what people normally think of as consistent (reliable), and what the rating actually does (make players get hot easily) can present an obstacle to harmonious discussion.

These stats aren't a big enough sample size to hold up in a lab or courtroom, but they illustrate the basic idea well enough. Here's what I'm talking about:

J.R. Smith is shooting 36.1% on threes in his last 10 games, but his last 5 are 25%, 66.7%, 0%, 100%, and 42.9%. You've got the entire range of possibilty covered, his closest two performances are 17.9% apart, and only one outcome is within 10% of his 10 game average.
A Swiss watch, he ain't. On the other hand, by 2k's definition of a guy who doesn't have extended slumps (the 0% was only 0/1) and catches fire like gasoline, you could accurately call him Mr. Consistency.

Contrast that with Chandler Parsons, who is shooting 29.2% in his last 10 games, with his last 5 at 50%, 40%, 60%, 0%, and 28.6%. Not only are his performances much more tightly grouped, he even has one result within 1% of his 10 game average. Despite Chandler shooting worse than Smith during this stretch, I'm sure you can see why he's perceived as being more reliable (or predictable if you want to skew slightly negative), and why people basing their opinion on the normal definition of consistency would think he deserves the higher rating.

# 104 LoSoisNiCEx414 @ 04/05/13 01:11 PM
Carmelo has scored 90pts in the last 2games, he deserves to be a 95ovl (Knicks fans logic)

# 105 diehardknicksfan @ 04/05/13 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSoisNiCEx414
Carmelo has scored 90pts in the last 2games, he deserves to be a 95ovl (Knicks fans logic)
Has any1 even mentioned melo in this thread.

But I would like to see j,r, smith get shot creator. A lot of his points come on iso plays. U got to be good at creating space to do that

# 106 LoSoisNiCEx414 @ 04/05/13 01:28 PM
I was making a joke about Melo, but I find JR Smith to be rated to high, but I agree with you on him getting shot creater.

# 107 ksuttonjr76 @ 04/05/13 01:47 PM
Quote:
Doesn't matter a GM that is good will know what players to get that will fit into the offense they run and the only way you would know that is unless you scout them to see what your getting....

Basketball is more than a stat based game
You made that comment like you proved your point...which you didn't, BTW.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

# 108 ksuttonjr76 @ 04/05/13 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSoisNiCEx414
I was making a joke about Melo, but I find JR Smith to be rated to high, but I agree with you on him getting shot creater.
It's not a roster thread until someone mentions him, lol.

# 109 mango_prom @ 04/05/13 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardknicksfan
But I would like to see j,r, smith get shot creator. A lot of his points come on iso plays. U got to be good at creating space to do that
What does the shot creator sig skill have to do with "being good at creating space"?

# 110 diehardknicksfan @ 04/05/13 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
What does the shot creator sig skill have to do with "being good at creating space"?

Shot Creator: Can make shots at a higher percentage when creating space for the shot.

Something j.r. Is very good at.

# 111 cj2008nw @ 04/05/13 02:53 PM
Quote:
LMAO are you serious!!?!?!

# 112 giftedchick @ 04/05/13 03:28 PM
Quote:

# 113 gamerxisback @ 04/05/13 04:32 PM
When is Greivis Vasquez going to get an update?!?!?!

# 114 BuckeyeFan031 @ 04/05/13 04:44 PM
my boy kyrie needs to stop getting injured

# 115 regGQ @ 04/05/13 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardknicksfan
Has any1 even mentioned melo in this thread.

don't even bother brah

I agree JR should get the shot creator but anything positive about the Knicks in this thread just gets hated on. be happy that 2k shows us favor anyways, he'll probably get it too

# 116 mango_prom @ 04/05/13 07:08 PM
Quote:
LMAO are you serious!!?!?!
Yes, I am...first of all, of course I have to hate the Knicks. What else could it be...maybe simply an opinion different from yours? That's impossible. If you aren't a fan of team x, you're hating them, right? The funny thing is, there are dozens of players that are rated completely wrong in 2k13, and here we have J.R. Smith, rated 84 and at least a Top5 SG in the game. With 98 stamina of course, so you can play him online as long as you want to...and now I'm simply stating that I don't agree with him getting another 2k magical skill and that's reason enough for talking to me like I'm some kind of idiot? Isn't that a bit biased?

I actually happen to like the Knicks, great coaching and their overall playing style is fun to watch.
But why is it bad to have a negative opinion about certain players?

Shot Creator:

"This type of player has a higher chance of making a shot than most other players, IF he creates space for himself."

Here are the conditions that have to be met before the skill is even activated:

"The player must break his defender down to create space, which must be bigger than the space between him and the defender when the break started.

The shot creator must be within seven feet of the defender when he starts to break him down.

The shot must be taken within 2 seconds of the initial break down.

The shot must happen within 33 feet of the basket.

The player must not be smothered defensively by the defender at both the start of the break down and the release of the shot."

So instead of mindlessly posting gifs without even thinking even one second about the topic...it's pretty clear that 2ks shot creator skill is not related to how good a player is at creating space, but about a reduced shot penalty after you've broken the defender down. These are 2 entirely different things.
In 2k13, attributes that matter for creating space are ball handling, speed and quickness...so the shot creator skill is not related at all to that. It's only about reducing a shot penalty after you've managed to create space. So even if you might disagree with my opinion, it's not exactly an intelligent response to go like "lmao you stupid" or maybe posting a gif...

So again, if you want a sig skill that really makes a player good at creating space in iso situations, you'd have to use ankle breaker instead, since stumbling animations actually help to separate a player from his defender.

# 117 ksuttonjr76 @ 04/05/13 09:24 PM
Quote:
Yes, I am...first of all, of course I have to hate the Knicks. What else could it be...maybe simply an opinion different from yours? That's impossible. If you aren't a fan of team x, you're hating them, right? The funny thing is, there are dozens of players that are rated completely wrong in 2k13, and here we have J.R. Smith, rated 84 and at least a Top5 SG in the game. With 98 stamina of course, so you can play him online as long as you want to...and now I'm simply stating that I don't agree with him getting another 2k magical skill and that's reason enough for talking to me like I'm some kind of idiot? Isn't that a bit biased?

I actually happen to like the Knicks, great coaching and their overall playing style is fun to watch.

Shot Creator:

"This type of player has a higher chance of making a shot than most other players, IF he creates space for himself."

"The player must break his defender down to create space, which must be bigger than the space between him and the defender when the break started.

The shot creator must be within seven feet of the defender when he starts to break him down.

The player must not be smothered defensively by the defender at both the start of the break down and the release of the shot."

So instead of mindlessly posting gifs without even thinking even one second about the topic...it's pretty clear that 2ks shot creator skill is not related to how good a player is at creating space, but about a reduced shot penalty after you've broken the defender down. These are 2 entirely different things.
In 2k13, attributes that matter for creating space are ball handling, speed and quickness...so the shot creator skill is not related at all to that. It's only about reducing a shot penalty after you've managed to create space. So even if you might disagree with my opinion, it's not exactly an intelligent response to go like "lmao you stupid" or maybe posting a gif...

So again, if you want a sig skill that really makes a player good at creating space in iso situations, you'd have to use ankle breaker instead, since stumbling animations actually help to separate a player from his defender.
The sh*t just got real.

# 118 cj2008nw @ 04/05/13 10:13 PM
Quote:

Shot Creator:

This has to be the most stupidest logic I have ever read.. I'm done

# 119 Angel_G @ 04/05/13 11:29 PM
Mango_Prom just stop

# 120 JazzMan @ 04/05/13 11:47 PM
Quote:
This has to be the most stupidest logic I have ever read.. I'm done
How? He's 100% right. The way that 2k has set up Shot Creator is increase in the likely-hood of a shot going in after the shooter has created space for his shot.

I don't know how we got on this topic, but he's right.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.