Home
NHL 14 News Post

Electronic Arts Inc. announced today the breakthrough features for EA SPORTS NHL®14 that are set to unleash the aggression, speed and skill of NHL hockey through the best technology of this console generation that EA SPORTS has to offer. Deliver game-changing hits with cutting-edge NHL® Collision Physics, built from EA SPORTS FIFA’s revolutionary Player Impact Engine. Drop the gloves with the all-new Enforcer Engine, powered by the same technology used in the critically acclaimed Fight Night franchise. Experience a new level of speed and control with the second season of the critically-acclaimed True Performance Skating engine, and dangle defenders with all-new One-Touch Dekes. In addition, fans can Live the Life of an NHL player in an all-new incarnation of the Be a Pro Career Mode, now featuring on and off-ice elements. NHL 14 will be available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. NHL 14 releases on September 10, 2013 in North America and September 13, 2013 in Europe.

“We’re very proud of the history of innovation that the EA SPORTS NHL franchise has produced on this console generation, and this year we’re amplifying that innovation by leveraging technology from teams like FIFA and Fight Night,” says Dean Richards, General Manager, NHL, EA SPORTS. “This year fans will feel the speed, skill and aggression of NHL hockey like never before, powered by some of the best EA SPORTS technology to create the best game we could ever imagine.”

The NHL 14 official trailer can be found here.

NHL 14 Features
  • NHL® Collision Physics – Developed from the same core technology that powers EA SPORTS FIFA’s critically-acclaimed Player Impact Engine, NHL® Collision Physics introduces bigger, more thrilling hits, and truer-to-life collisions. A new left-stick control scheme makes delivering a game-changing hit simpler and more rewarding than ever.

• Enforcer Engine – Powered by the same technology used in the critically acclaimed Fight Night franchise, NHL 14 will bring a brand new third-person presentation to showcase the anatomy of a fight. All players on the ice (human or CPU) remain live from the drop of the gloves to the trip to the penalty box, with no break in the action. This new technology delivers, for the first time in the EA SPORTS NHL franchise, true size and strength differentiation between players, new jostling mechanics and much more to create the most authentic and electrifying experience yet.

• True Performance Skating – Built on the breakthrough innovation that introduced physics-based skating and over 1,000 new skating animations to the EA SPORTS NHL franchise. The second year of the True Performance Skating features improved acceleration, explosive first-strides, quicker pivots and enhanced lateral skating, resulting in greater player responsiveness and unprecedented control.

• One-Touch Dekes – Experience what it feels like to be a superstar through a new, more responsive deking system controlled only with the left stick and one-button. From beginner to advanced gamers, the system allows for quicker reactive dekes and intuitive combination dekes, creating more moves than ever before.

• Live the Life – The new incarnation of the Be a Pro Career Mode, now you can truly Live the Life of an NHL player. On or off the ice, every decision you make shapes your legacy as an athlete. Interact with teammates outside of the rink. Take part in media interviews. Each choice you make will affect your relationship with fans, teammates and management, influencing your skills and progression.

• HUT & EASHL Online Seasons – NHL 14 adds the best-in-class promotion and relegation system in the sports category to the Hockey Ultimate Team & EA SPORTS Hockey League modes. Win games and advance to the next division to face tougher competition, fall short and see your team bumped down. Teams will be able to track their progress across multiple seasons.

Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 hockeyyt988 @ 04/15/13 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyyt988
Yeah I know, but I also feel that's people's perception simply because they haven't done anything with it at all. I mean, it's virtually the same mode as it was in NHL 09.

When NBA 2k implemented "My Player" mode in NBA 2k10 the perception was the same; "that would be cool, but I think they should work on this or that"-- Now look at the mode? What happen?-- It became their most played game mode. I'm sure they weren't expecting that to be the case, but if you look at the way the mode is design, anyone can see why it's became such a hit. MLB RTTS is another great example of how this mode type can be a hit.

Now I could go all day about the things I think need to be implemented to make the mode a success but that's another story. All I know is this; if implemented correctly, NHL Be a Pro could have the same success, BUT for now, many people think it should be scrap or that "it sucks" and that is because it's so broken and poorly implemented that that's the taste left in people's mouth.
This is what I posted in the other forum about BE A PRO. I'm more than excited that they have implemented this into the game. To the posters that say "No one plays BE A PRO" that may have been true simply because the game didn't capture the idea correctly. This is definitely a step-forward and I'm sure people will enjoy this mode.

# 22 GROGtheNailer @ 04/15/13 04:23 PM
I am bummed out nothing was mentioned on improving the defensive aspects of the game which is a large percentage of the game, or should be. I am surprised they leave this out each year.

# 23 pk500 @ 04/15/13 04:40 PM
Don't turn cartwheels or spin pinwheels over the news the NHL 14 fighting engine is based on the engine from the EA "Fight Night" series. That is, unless you're a fan of mechanical, stilted punching animations that have delayed execution after the button presses.

# 24 gopher_guy @ 04/15/13 04:47 PM
They fixed fighting before the LONG list of things that need to be fixed/re-done? Seriously? This is a hockey game, right?

# 25 mike24forever @ 04/15/13 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostarac
Same old **** from EA..
These are the best contributions to this site. The best part is, people are expecting anything different. This is the direction EA has been going since 07, and to think that they are going to revamp everything before the new systems come out is ridiculous.

# 26 mike24forever @ 04/15/13 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Me too, but I don't think either will be touched until next-gen versions come out.
This^^^^^^^^^

# 27 13whitebread @ 04/15/13 05:42 PM
I agree with a few of the posts here where is the presentation overhaul and new announcers? I know it is early and more can come but the fans have been calling for this for some time is it the most important issue of course not but for someone who only plays offline it is important for a more immersed feel for the game for me. That is why NBA 2k series is so fun to play because it has the TV style presentation. I just don't like online play for the lag. If it could get to the responsiveness of the offline then I would come aboard but until the I'll stay away. The score overlays also need an update what I am afraid of the excuse this year will be wait untill next gen. This is unexceptable for EA but it just might be what we are in store for. Although gimicky the real time fights plus scrums sound interesting. A little bit of rambling but I just love hockey and it will be a first day purchase for me regardless but I will be stocked if we get the updates we need. I hope I don't here what I heard last year and I'll qoute" Much to the dismay of the fans Gary and Bill will be returning as the commentary team" I hope it's to early and EA shows me I am wrong

# 28 Cycloniac @ 04/15/13 05:54 PM
...I'm kind of dissapointed after watching the video and reading the press release...

The video, first of all, was 90% real hockey and 10% gameplay; very little to go on from that. It looked good and it was a fast-paced "Sizzle" style trailer, but after buying these games for 7 straight years since the whole NHL 07 revamp, the illusion of huge improvements has faded.

There was no mention of presentation or BAGM improvements. I guess we'll have to wait until next-gen for any presentation overhauls, and a likely new commentary team of either Doc Emrick (and someone else) or the CBC team again.

The fighting engine overhaul is long overdue though. Maybe there'll be fights in CPU vs CPU games now? I think I may even give BAP another look; haven't touched it since NHL 10.

Dissapointed...but remaining somewhat hopefull.

# 29 TreyIM2 @ 04/15/13 06:04 PM
So no Infinity Engine 2. My guess was wrong, there, but the Player Impact engine is cool...

Anyway, trailer seemed like mostly real hockey game footage and a little bit of NHL 14. Hard to discern at times when the gameplay was being shown. Oh, well. I need to see how this one feels. 13 didn't make me pull the trigger. I forget how long it's been since I bought an hockey game. Sheesh.

# 30 CaptainSuperman @ 04/15/13 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
...I'm kind of dissapointed after watching the video and reading the press release...

The video, first of all, was 90% real hockey and 10% gameplay; very little to go on from that. It looked good and it was a fast-paced "Sizzle" style trailer, but after buying these games for 7 straight years since the whole NHL 07 revamp, the illusion of huge improvements has faded.

There was no mention of presentation or BAGM improvements. I guess we'll have to wait until next-gen for any presentation overhauls, and a likely new commentary team of either Doc Emrick (and someone else) or the CBC team again.

The fighting engine overhaul is long overdue though. Maybe there'll be fights in CPU vs CPU games now? I think I may even give BAP another look; haven't touched it since NHL 10.

Dissapointed...but remaining somewhat hopefull.
Well it was only 1 trailer. A debut trailer, meant to get you hyped. Having "Boys Are Back" play behind that after this years lockout was pretty cool. It did it's job, and it has my attention. They will release more trailers and show off what they have done.

# 31 Diehardfan @ 04/15/13 06:18 PM
When I was 11 or 12 years old those giant player animations they show in every trailer used to impress me but am I the only one who doesnt give a rat's azz about giant players that are unusable in real gameplay. EA, how about showing us what real gameplay looks like? Or you just pining to pre-teenagers this year?

# 32 Bluejaysfan65 @ 04/15/13 06:20 PM
Kind of thinking about buying this game with the so-called revamped Be A Pro mode. Really excited for the off-ice interactions.

# 33 @legendm0de @ 04/15/13 06:24 PM
i definitely don't see evidence of any large scale enhancements but in my opinion I think it's great they are getting us alot more & better animations on ice. But they really should refined puck control and stick handling all the way around. Alot of the animations skating with the puck and maneuverability around defenders with a puck were very basic and you couldn't get to creative on the nice. I don't know if this is a need for overhauling puck physics or just capturing alot more animations. They mention they improved on the skating, which is very cool, true life skating was the very best new feature ea ever has put onto this series, so it's good that they'll build upon that, but I don't get the impression that these new animations will have anything to do with the way we stick handle and move with the puck.

plus finally getting closer to establishing a hitting engine this game should have had a long time ago, is really nice but it remains to be seen how accurate and pleased with it I would be. Fifa 12s engine was basically poor, but still nice to see their effort in that direction (Fifa 13s war far and away improved, and the gameplay/contact etc is phenomenal). I haven't seen enough footage out of NHL 14 to know if their version of this engine meets our standards as gamers. As important as hitting is in hockey games, it's important that they don't miss the mark here.

The A.I i'm sure is going to receive improvements in certain areas, and I expect them to talk about it and spell that out where they have made improvements. It probably isn't enough of a feature in the selling games department, to make a big fuss about in the trailer reveal. I expect them to have made some notable A.I improvements though.

Honestly their games modes, are very intricate and deep gives us alot to do, including some online modes, I don't think they need their resources on any huge new modes. A return to be a pro will be nice and welcome though.

I'm saying this as a person who thoroughly enjoyed 13' and was a big fan / supporter of how much they did in that game. I probably will be skipping 14' to continue 13' and for a number of other reasons but I want to continue being updated on what they brought new for the series on 14'. Especially leading into 15' on the PS4 I want them to give me the best hockey video game ever by NHL 15' (PS4)

# 34 Twenty Four @ 04/15/13 07:42 PM
I was really hoping for them to improve GMC mode and Be A GM mode... neither of which were improved. Not overly impressed... however the new features do look nice. I just wish they would make improvements to GMC, its fun to be in an online league... but it lacks the capabilities that Connected Careers Mode (Madden) and Online Dynasty (NCAA) have. Still have my hopes up though. And as always I will get sucked in on release day.

# 35 Cletus @ 04/15/13 08:17 PM
Also remember, these aren't the only things they're working on. They most likely have just started working on 14 in January. Complaining about how things didn't get fixed is like complaining that things didn't improve in The Show in November. The only people that know what has changed under the hood can't talk about it yet because of legal reasons.

# 36 Tsuki @ 04/15/13 08:33 PM
so did no one read the part about enforcers not just the third-person fighting?

# 37 Stormyhog @ 04/15/13 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuki
so did no one read the part about enforcers not just the third-person fighting?
I am glad it's third person as I hated the first person view. Fighting is part of the game and I am glad they are at least addressing it. I hope fights can be started by the cpu as well not just us initiating them.

# 38 ruddamucker @ 04/15/13 09:07 PM
Goalies look great this year, awesome save animation by Luongo at the 20 second mark - really like that he abandons the butterfly t-push and instead goes for a slide into second base.

Love that stance by Pekka Rinne in the thumbnail image for the video. He often plays with his glove hand resting against his pad.

Cool hitting engine. Will there be hammer icons next to every player's name?

# 39 bwiggy33 @ 04/15/13 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
Also remember, these aren't the only things they're working on. They most likely have just started working on 14 in January. Complaining about how things didn't get fixed is like complaining that things didn't improve in The Show in November. The only people that know what has changed under the hood can't talk about it yet because of legal reasons.
Actually from what I've heard, developers have to start working on the next game only a few weeks after the one they just released. Due to the short production cycle with sports games, they have to start right away in order to add to the new version. They don't get much time in between release and starting the next game. I could be wrong but this was based on what I heard from an NHL Community Day Invitee back in 09 I think.

I agree though there's definitely going to be more things added to the game, just maybe not the back of the box. They always tune the AI and whatever else, but as you said they don't talk about that stuff until a certain date due to legal reasons.

# 40 Twenty Four @ 04/15/13 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffstanek
@ PF8363 - As a strictly OFFLINE player. i welocme the changes to BAP and GM. IMO Online play if for people who dont really know the ins and outs of true hockey. All they know is end to end no defense, thats not realistic as we know its a game but are looking for the most realistic option. If i hd my way there would be no HUT or EASHL. ONLINE sucks and will never get better.

@ CLETUS - Great point. I am a strictly offline player and cant wait for the improvements. This game is GREAT the way it is and i can live with a few issues here and there. Gamers expectations are far too high for console gaming.

I for one cant wait for more videos. This video release showed nothing.
I half agree and half disagree...

YES, HUT is just a huge cheese fest, as are ranked games, and EASHL (although if you have some buddies to play with, it can be fun), but as for GMC, there are many good sim style players who play proper hockey. Of course there are a lot of guys in the leagues who don't know much about hockey, and that can get annoying. But I wouldn't say GMC sucks, if you find the right league. And I agree with PF about goalies, big disappointment that they didn't majorly approve them.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.