Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

It's official. According to GameZone, we will not see a playoff format in NCAA Football 14. Producer, Ben Haumiller states, "The BCS will continue as the post-season format for all years of Dynasty."

Quote:
"We don’t yet have all the info about how the playoff system will work, including who will make up the selection committee and what their criteria will be for picking the playoff teams, and it’s our policy to not include anything in-game that hasn’t been approved and finalized by the NCAA," he explained. I wasn't told if a playoff system would eventually be patched into the game once all of the details are finalized; however, EA seems content with keeping the current BCS intact, at least for this year.

Source - NCAA Football 14 Will Use BCS For All Years Of Dynasty

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 PVarck31 @ 04/25/13 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
2K12 had it. It may have not been officially announced until 3/2 but it was known it would happen sooner than that. I guess the Show couldn't get it in for whatever reason though. I know people were still pissed about it because 2K12 had it.

But whatever, people can be as pissed as they want about it.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

# 62 sportzbro @ 04/25/13 11:03 PM
There really is no point buying this.

# 63 Gap Integrity @ 04/26/13 12:26 AM
I agree with BA2929, Why wouldn't they just make the top 4 BCS teams in the playoff, and rotate the bowls. It is pretty dumb not to include it. I would even go as far to say it should be locked for the first season of your dynasty, and forced on once the season is complete. I try not to bash EA on here as we have plenty of those guys here on O.S., but this is a huge whiff by EA. What better way to market your game than with a new/better engine and the playoff so many are looking forward to. They will def lose some sales because of this.

# 64 K0ZZ @ 04/26/13 12:30 AM
I'm not really surprised, and not in an angry sort of way either. MLB 12 didn't have the extra wild card. Obviously the post season format for the NCAA has been known for about a year at least now, but at the same time they have to tread a specific line between reality and appealing to those they are licensing. For the sake of future seasons it's disappointing but I didn't even have this on my list for this game.

Crying foul on this is a bit of an overreaction.

# 65 reMicXz @ 04/26/13 12:34 AM
i honestly didnt expect to see this so im not disappointed. with all the hot water EA is in already over this game im a little glad they didnt go and ruffle any feathers by making up completely fabricated settings and rules of something and put it in a game that shouldnt even have it. gameplay > smoke,mirrors and shiny new toys

# 66 MarvinOida @ 04/26/13 12:42 AM
So... The big deal is that EA can't make up a fake system for this? They don't even know how the playoff system works and probably don't wanna screw up the current system even farther. Perfectly fine with that logic and not surprised.

When NCAA Football 15 comes, that's when the Playoff system should be judged.

# 67 jfsolo @ 04/26/13 12:47 AM
I said in several posts this year, that there was no chance of them implementing a playoff option, one year before it happens in real life, NO CHANCE, and that people should totally get that idea out of their heads, but it was a mortal lock, that folks were going to have that expectation anyway, and lose their **** when if was announced that it wasn't happening. I'm glad that they gave up the info in April so that the meltdowns on this issue can be gotten out of the way, and those people who have decided not to buy the game can move on to something else(yeah right, not happening )

My guess is, no draft class importing is the next rage inducing announcement.

# 68 goillini03 @ 04/26/13 12:56 AM
Not surprised at all but disappointed. This will be the big add next year and they will enhance the ultimate team crap. There are your big announcements for NCAA 2015.

# 69 DorianDonP @ 04/26/13 01:39 AM
I don't know why the "we dont know how it works" excuse is being used so much. Even I know how it works. They have released enough basic information like the 2014 national championship site, the dates of 2014 playoffs and bowl rotations and tie ins, what the committee will value, and name and logo possibilities. Sports Illustrated even did a simulation with D1 athletic directors showcasing what the committee will value in their selection.

The basic framework that has been agreed on and known since 2012 is that: (from the BCS website) Among the factors the committee will value are win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and whether a team is a conference champion.

The only thing that is legitimately unknown is who will be on the committee. But that isn't really relevant in a video game anyway. The selection committee in the game will be a bunch of numbers and equations. Rank the teams based on w/l, sos, head to head, and conference champions and throw it in dynasty year 2.

EA, IMO, had a chance to really add something that would get me legitimately excited to play a game I feel is stale. But they took the safe route, yet again, choosing to stay status quo instead of going all out in this final year before next gen.

I'm not shocked by their excuse but as I've been with this gen of football gaming, I'm still disappointed.

# 70 ActLikeYouCrow @ 04/26/13 03:05 AM
the problem with that explanation is how can you accurately depict a selection committee. if its simply concrete data or a formula that the committee will be using then why would they have a committee. its going to be a subjective analysis of everything. so how exactly would they replicate that perfectly accurate anyway? theres no concrete formula for picking the teams for the ncaa tourney, yet they still had the ncaa tourney back when they did college basketball games right?

go with the media and coaches rankings and call it a day or keep the bcs standings and pick those top 4 teams for the playoff. the excuse that we wont do that because it wont be accurate is hogwash. because if you keep the current system then after one season it wont be accurate too. its a bs decision on their part, but not surprising.

they dont deserve a pass for this, theyre not going to announce the national title site 10 years in advance, does that mean we wont have multiyear dynasties either? ea doesnt deserve a pass for this in any way whatsoever.

# 71 RandyBass @ 04/26/13 04:11 AM
Playoffs?

# 72 LastExit @ 04/26/13 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini03
Not surprised at all but disappointed. This will be the big add next year and they will enhance the ultimate team crap. There are your big announcements for NCAA 2015.
I think this is right - it's not that they couldn't create a playoff based on the top 4 teams in the current BCS rankings and have a playoff.......it's a new feature that will get people to buy the game next year. They'll also tie it in with the new consoles and trumpet a new era for the franchise.

# 73 jbd345 @ 04/26/13 06:51 AM
Wow, at some if you for blaming ea for stealing your money. That has got to be the worst excuse I have heard of. You made the conscience decision to buy the game not ea, you have no one to blame but yourself.

# 74 Gosens6 @ 04/26/13 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Wow, at some if you for blaming ea for stealing your money. That has got to be the worst excuse I have heard of. You made the conscience decision to buy the game not ea, you have no one to blame but yourself.
Seriously. They don't "rob" anyone of their money. I've been one of the people who's been very hard on EA and this game, but, they don't force anyone to buy this. You make the effort to walk into the store and hand the cashier 60 bucks after complaining on these boards in the months leading up to.

Blame no one but yourselves for cheating you out of your money. It's like eating McDonald's everyday then blaming the company for your weight gain problem..

Now onto the subject of this playoff system, any rational person would have known it wouldn't be in the game this year. I understand the majority of you had your hopes up, but it's time you start thinking realistically. You knew they were gonna say exactly this, and you should know the playoff system will be a big dynasty feature for them on the first next gen game

All of you saying you won't buy it, still will; Then you'll be on here claiming EA put a gun to your head and made you buy it. It's a vicious circle here

# 75 Sundown2600 @ 04/26/13 08:47 AM
Ppl are disappointed by this? Why? I just don't see how anyone would have remotely expected a playoff option in this year's game. At some point you have to stop blaming EA. It's not their fault fans continue to raise their hopes too high regarding this series. Speak with your wallets! But like I've said before we are all addicted to football and that is why it will be impossible for many ppl to leave this game alone. Personally if I was able to refrain from buying Codemasters crap Formula One game (my fav sport by far) I can refrain from buying this, but I do understand how hard it is to resist and EA knows this as well. If you're unhappy with the series and you still buy the game everything you say means nothing. Took me a while to understand that. Addiction is real lol.

Edit: Great post by Gosens6 above mine

# 76 speedy43 @ 04/26/13 09:26 AM
I wasn't expecting a playoff option at all this year. This doesn't really bother me one bit. There are other aspects about the game I care about more than the implementation of a playoff system. As this isn't a deal breaker for me, I'm still going to buy the game come July. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

# 77 Hova57 @ 04/26/13 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
You think EA is going to implement an actual SELECTION COMMITTEE in their game to pick 4 teams? They'll use some sort of algorithm to pick them. Their BCS selection in the NCAA game is incorrect now anyway, so who really cares if it's correct this year? Use the BCS point system that's already in the game that's always screwing up for all I care. They don't have real Media members pick the Media poll in the game, but nobody seems to care about that. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate in the first year and nobody would care.
Man you know as well as I that if the playoff system wasn't working the way it should. These boards would be in an uproar. Their decision on not making playoff game is part NCAA decision. NCAA obviously didn't care bout the big east new name, but playoff system = money. They gonna want to make sure they have all pieces right.

This is no different than NFL saying they don't want tattoos on players.

# 78 GhostWriter99 @ 04/26/13 09:51 AM
If this was next year and they said they weren't having the playoff in then I would be upset, but this year not so much, it can't be that big of a shock to anybody.

They can't even get the actual atmosphere of a Saturday in College Football right.

# 79 C Spot @ 04/26/13 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Moar
Do you really think the NCAA would let them NOT include it?
The real question is if the playoff system will actually work correctly in 15 or will we have to wait until either a patch coming 3 months after release or all the way until 16 comes out for a working playoff system

# 80 ActLikeYouCrow @ 04/26/13 09:59 AM
everyone would agree even if they complained about an aspect of the playoff that a 90% accurate playoff is better than no playoff. while most of us arent surprised at this decision, it doesnt mean we cant voice our displeasure as pointless as it likely is.

1 vs 4, 2 vs 3, championship game afterwards between the winners. how exactly would they screw that up?

the 1 vs 4 matchup being incorrectly in the fiesta bowl rather than the orange bowl is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things considering the no.3 and no.4 teams wont have a chance period of playing for the title year 2 of a dynasty. i doubt the ncaa cares either. what harm exactly would be done by taking the information we all know now and putting a playoff on the game? its not going to negatively effect next year's game or the 2014 college football playoff itself.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.