Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Quote:
Watch the official insider look video featuring exclusive gameplay footage now to find out how the new precision ball carrier moves in Madden NFL 25 will allow you to run free.

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Skyboxer @ 05/03/13 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
That would be awesome, but that tells you how much work this game needs because I just cant see any of that in the near future. And im talking next 4-5 years. We need major overhauls to the entire movement system. O-line interactions need to be overhauled. Footplanting needs to work for everyplayer all the time not only on cuts. WR/DB interactions need to be added. Ball physics need to be added. I could go on and on then all these things need to be fine tuned to work good before we could even think about "the little things". And I didnt even mention the infinity engine needs a ton of work.

EDIT: EAs problem is they add something to the game but then they take something out. And what they add is always done half you know what lol Look at the footplanting, appears to only work for the ball carrier and only takes effect when he makes a hard cut.
First 70% of what they've taken out should never have been put in so I'm ok with that.
Second we have no idea how long EA has been working on the next gen format so I'll stop short of already condemning us for the next 3-4 years.
Time will tell...

# 122 Skyboxer @ 05/03/13 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
I rather have less control and be able to move like NBA 2K players than have more control and have a game that plays like Madden. This was one of the big problems with NBA Live, the graphics were excellent, but people hated how unrealistic the players moved, which was like Madden, stiff and robotic. Unfortunately we don't have a alternative NFL game to flee too.
As long as the animations don't drive my ball carrier 5 yards out of bounds

# 123 rootofalleli @ 05/03/13 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
I hope EA reads all of these comments and are going into next gen KNOWING that this gameplay looks (and plays) poorly. They need to KNOW that what they are putting out in these trailers isn't good. My worry is that they actually do think what they are hyping in these trailers are okay. I understand they have to sell their game, good or bad, so for everyones sake I hope they really do realize how much of an overhaul everything needs...
I feel like a better person after reading your post! Props for isolating the differences between Maddenball and football.

I know they need to have some big plays in a trailer. But I would have *loved* to see some subtlety. Give me Ray Rice evading a linebacker behind the line of scrimmage. Show me the linebacker beating a block and squaring up like a real football player, trying to get a decent angle for the tackle. Then Little Ray gives him a head fake inside, a juke outside, and the linebacker slips as Rice runs for a first down. Or maybe give us a goal line play with Arian Foster taking a big hit and using one of the new stumble recoveries or dives to get extra yards. Show us someone spinning through contact, not dodging it like Neo in the Matrix. I don't need to see nonstop full-speed moves and animations skipping frames.

If we need to see defenders over-pursuing, it can look a lot better than this. Let's see CJ or Reggie Bush get a bunch of guys going one way then reversing the field. Showcase all that momentum and foot-planting as defenders try to slow down and can't. Better yet, let's see variety - bigger linemen fall over or just run out of the play, linebackers put a hand on the ground to turn around and stay in the play, and the most agile guys head upfield to save a touchdown. If ratings matter and new systems take them into account, EA should showcase the variety on the field. All these changes should affect more than 1-on-1 matchups between a back and a clumsy defender. Maybe they do, but that's not in the video.

God help us if the emphasis on "new defensive weapons" is really "bigger hit stick and more forced fumbles." I'd much rather see some controls that make it easier to get a hand on runner and control him so someone else can force him down. I'd rather see AI that tells a runner to get on the ground before the 2nd and 3rd guys show up to end his season. I don't want to see bigger offensive plays countered with bigger defensive plays.

# 124 DorianDonP @ 05/03/13 04:45 AM
I just noticed in this, the defender has a good angle on the runner but when the runner spins, the defender (#94) magically warps behind him for the missed tackle. The animation seemed to cancel out the defenders positioning.

If that's any indication, then positioning and momentum doesn't matter.

There's no way they can talk about the defense being improved if it's going to be handicapped like that.

# 125 rudyjuly2 @ 05/03/13 05:15 AM
I love how the stiff arm is back and how we have all these moves. It does look like zig zag running is gone and the cuts appear as though the feet are making good contact with the ground. I did not see the speed changes you normally see in a real rushing attack. The accelleration back to full speed happens way too fast. The RBs are pulling off super moves and then are still accelerating at full speed almost instantaneously. A lot of times in real football a RB makes the first guy miss but then gets taken down by a couple guys finishing off the play as the RB has slowed down. I don't see that in this video.

# 126 CurryMan @ 05/03/13 06:24 AM
if this is the only major addition than this years game is going to suck bgi time!

# 127 TreyIM2 @ 05/03/13 06:44 AM
While I get ppl being upset about things such as running and robotic animations and whatever else brought up that was not included in this Madden, EA never said they improved those so why are ppl harping on such things over and over? Get over it. It's not hattnin this gen, at this point and this highlight real is to focus on run free. Ppl have some sort of OCD, for lack of the word/phrase I was looking for.

That said, I'll say this again, I'm waiting to get this demo/game in my hands to see how it feels. Can't go entirely off these vids.

# 128 Kevin26385 @ 05/03/13 08:10 AM
Quote:
I just noticed in this, the defender has a good angle on the runner but when the runner spins, the defender (#94) magically warps behind him for the missed tackle. The animation seemed to cancel out the defenders positioning.

If that's any indication, then positioning and momentum doesn't matter.

There's no way they can talk about the defense being improved if it's going to be handicapped like that.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see #94 warping. I think the angle and camera rotation is playing a trick on your eyes. I do think the animation looks off, but it doesn't look like he warped back.

# 129 DorianDonP @ 05/03/13 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev5890
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see #94 warping. I think the angle and camera rotation is playing a trick on your eyes. I do think the animation looks off, but it doesn't look like he warped back.
I dunno man. It looks like 94 was in position to hit Murray in the chest. I mean look at his feet. His right foot is pretty much at the white chalk but by the time he makes impact, his feet are well behind the chalk as he goes into his missed tackle animation. Maybe the rotating camera plus his dive attempt is throwing me off though. Just seems like this play should have made impact at or beyond the white chalk, with 94 having the momentum and angle to finish that play off.

# 130 ch46647 @ 05/03/13 08:32 AM
Nice discussion guys, I hope the developers are listening.

# 131 Kevin26385 @ 05/03/13 09:01 AM
Big FN Deal-Agree with you on the different tackle attempt. That animation probably shouldn't happen when you have an interaction between a running back and a lineman. Doubtful Murray can just throw his shoulder into a big guy like that.

DorianDonP-Appreciate the stills, it definitely looks like #94 should have hit him in the chest especially since Murray is coming out of a spin move and he shouldn't be anywhere near top speed. However, I don't think he was "warping" in the traditional sense.

# 132 Phobia @ 05/03/13 09:06 AM
The running back moves I'm fine with them if the stamina bar keeps them in check. I was mainly watching this "new line play" and guess what every block looks the same as last year.

For instance watch this guy in the video. Runningback is 10 to 15 yards down field past him yet he is still in block animation WTF!!!!!!!!!!

I'll tell you the problem with the madden run engine and it has nothing to do with chaining moves together. It is the 1 or 0 (Yes or No) programmed feel to it.

For instance in the scene where the guy is planting his feet and the defender smashes him right in the chest, yet the computer takes over the guy for you and does a spin to dodge the defender. It does not look real, it does not feel real to the user, and it does not simulate a "realistic" football game. Ratings should INFLUENCE things but they should not just randomly do things on their own and create things that are unrealistic.

EA has to remove the huge impact ratings have on players doing things on their own. My running back should not do a crazy spin move if I did not input the command to do so. Now if my runningback has a high spin rating it should cause the defender to whiff more or faster rate of spin or something. He should not randomly just do the move. Now the problem extends even further with the fact that the ratings don't seem to matter for this. You could have a 4th string running back rated in the low 70s or 60s and he would still do this things because the way the engine decides to enter in a 1 and he does a move to make the defender miss or enter a 0 and he gets tackled.

Bottom line it does not feel real.

# 133 FlyingFinn @ 05/03/13 09:17 AM
Didn't read the whole thread, but for me, the running animations still look horrific. No matter how many moves or control they add, until they fix this, the game is a pass for me.

# 134 jpdavis82 @ 05/03/13 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
The running back moves I'm fine with them if the stamina bar keeps them in check. I was mainly watching this "new line play" and guess what every block looks the same as last year.

For instance watch this guy in the video. Runningback is 10 to 15 yards down field past him yet he is still in block animation WTF!!!!!!!!!!

I'll tell you the problem with the madden run engine and it has nothing to do with chaining moves together. It is the 1 or 0 (Yes or No) programmed feel to it.

For instance in the scene where the guy is planting his feet and the defender smashes him right in the chest, yet the computer takes over the guy for you and does a spin to dodge the defender. It does not look real, it does not feel real to the user, and it does not simulate a "realistic" football game. Ratings should INFLUENCE things but they should not just randomly do things on their own and create things that are unrealistic.

EA has to remove the huge impact ratings have on players doing things on their own. My running back should not do a crazy spin move if I did not input the command to do so. Now if my runningback has a high spin rating it should cause the defender to whiff more or faster rate of spin or something. He should not randomly just do the move. Now the problem extends even further with the fact that the ratings don't seem to matter for this. You could have a 4th string running back rated in the low 70s or 60s and he would still do this things because the way the engine decides to enter in a 1 and he does a move to make the defender miss or enter a 0 and he gets tackled.

Bottom line it does not feel real.
The RB is 10-15 yards past him? Where? I see Charles about 2-3 yards from him, also watch the Trent Richardson clip, you'll see blockers disengage and run upfield

# 135 CHICODUSTY @ 05/03/13 10:01 AM
NOT EXCITED AT ALL!!! THE GAME LOOKS TO FAST AND UNREALISTIC!!! MY QUESTION IS WILL THEY IMPLEMENT FATIGUE IN MADDEN LIKE THEY SAID THEY ARE GOING TO DO IN NCAA THIS YEAR?? I WILL PROBABLY BE KEEPING MY 65$ AGAIN THIS YEAR!

# 136 NikeBlitz @ 05/03/13 10:07 AM
Not really accurate to over-analyze and read too much into a trailer imo.

However, i dont know what EA is trying to sell me ... i mean, i'm already able to perform most of these moves in M13 ... what's the difference ? im holding LT or LB + right stick in M25 and ???

Boy i hope they have something else in store.

# 137 jpdavis82 @ 05/03/13 10:11 AM
Simfballcritic gave his impressions on this trailer vs what he has played so far. I think everyone needs to play the game for themselves before jumping to conclusions good or bad.

# 138 jpdavis82 @ 05/03/13 10:18 AM
Dorian made a great post about running mechanics and fundamentals compared to this trailer, but I think to make the most fair comparison,we should be using NFL footage not college, the games are played at different speeds. So here are some real examples of the same HB's featured in this trailer.

Jamaal Charles
Spoiler

Ray Rice
Spoiler

Chris Johnson
Spoiler

Doug Martin
Spoiler

Demarco Murray
Spoiler

Trent Richardson
Spoiler

# 139 Hova57 @ 05/03/13 10:19 AM
Quote:
Aside from the foot planting and animations, the main problem to me with the running game is the lack of lateral movement. To much of the game is either zig zag or run straight ahead (now coupled with somewhat unrealistic combo moves). Low center of gravity/lateral movement isn't really represented which means the game doesn't capture the line of scrimmage running of many running plays.

Spoiler

Patient running like that is hard to duplicate in the games.

EA is going to show off their highlight reels of trucks, stiff arms, and spin moves, but I'd be much more impressed if they highlighted hitting holes with hard cuts and smaller jukes, instead of so much open field/to the outside stuff. In Madden/NCAA, you don't really have to make any cuts or jukes INTO the hole. I'm interested in seeing more gameplay of the speedburst thing to see how that affects those plays.

Spoiler

That's the bread and butter of the running game.
Wilder is a beast and he's gonna be one in NCAA "CAN'T WAIT"

# 140 BezO @ 05/03/13 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
There's not one instance of patty cake blocking in that entire video, guys are arm locking and getting in each others pads. I just watched that video 4x in slow motion and strictly focused on the blocking.
Different definitions?

There are defenders stuck to blockers in the middle of the field while the ball is being run to the outside. There are defenders stuck to blockers in the middle with their back's to the ball while the ball is 15 yards down field.

I'll call it Tecmo blocking instead. 2 players engage and the only outcomes are pancake & break block. Engaged players have no mobility. Blockers should not be stopping defenders from moving laterally nor backwards without holding.

Phobia points out what I'm talking about below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
...I was mainly watching this "new line play" and guess what every block looks the same as last year.

It's also the defenders further in the background. This throws the timing & spacing of the game way off. Too much room on the outside. Those engaged players should be flowing towards the play, defending their gap. How does a defender contain if he can't move once engaged? How does EA balance this? Easier for defenders to disengage than real life? DBs better tacklers than real life? Something has to be manipulated to keep rushing in control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
The RB is 10-15 yards past him? Where? I see Charles about 2-3 yards from him, also watch the Trent Richardson clip, you'll see blockers disengage and run upfield
If you could see what that defender is doing when the RB does get 15 yards up the field, he'd be doing the same thing those defenders in the background have no business doing. Playing patty cake. Dancing. Whatever you want to call it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.