Home
FIFA 14 News Post

Owen Good has penned an excellent piece asking the pertinent question when it comes to the inclusion of women in the world's most popular sports video game of 'if not now, when?'

This all comes after a petition caught the publishers eye and a promise to include women in future editions was somewhat made.

Quote:
"It's noteworthy still for a couple of reasons: The addition, in 2011, of women players to EA Sports' NHL series (in their Be a Pro mode, and as an option in creating players elsewhere; two women also were included on a roster of all-time greats last year). And this year also saw, for the first time ever, the LPGA and one of its major tournaments included in a golf video game for consoles. And it's noteworthy because women's soccer is, as a participation and a spectator sport, more popular than women's golf or hockey."

What do you guys think? Is it time for women to be included within FIFA?

Game: FIFA Soccer 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 16 - View All
FIFA Soccer 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Murph @ 05/08/13 11:14 AM
I understand the business reason for adding women. You're attempting to lure a demo (gender) that normally has no interest in sports video games to buy said game.

With that said, I don't see myself (a male) playing that portion of the game much, if ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 2 Maxflier @ 05/08/13 11:24 AM
I have always hoped they would add the female players. I actually prefer women's soccer to men's. They should at least do a women's World Cup game or something.

# 3 LionsFanNJ @ 05/08/13 11:56 AM
Are there any pro women's leagues popular enough? If so I say add them. Of not throw the national teams on there. Its not like EA can't afford those licenses.

# 4 aTTckr @ 05/08/13 12:07 PM
The vast majority of FIFA's sales come from places other than NA, the only place where women's soccer is somewhat popular. Does anybody really think that EA would sell a single game more if women would be in the game? So it's a business decision and us gamers should be happy about it, this means they won't waste development time for a gimmick that nobody would play.

# 5 B5KoshYou @ 05/08/13 02:01 PM
I honestly was surprised EA didn't do something for FIFA 14 - especially given that the Women's World Cup is going to be in Canada in 2015 and the Canadian team is very good (EA Sports Canada is the dev).

Granted, on the club level women's soccer isn't in a place to demand inclusion in FIFA games. It is gaining popularity in UEFA and major clubs, and another "pro" league just started in USA, but none are popular enough to justify paying for name licensing. But national teams - world cup and olympics - would be a nice DLC. That would tell EA if there is indeed a market and give them opportunity to get a little more $.

I would think there are plenty of girls out there who would like to play with authentic women's national teams. But the licensing would have to be next to nothing to make it worthwhile and there's no way EA would pay FIFPro licensing for the few women anyone has heard of on ESPN.
Besides, aside from minor gameplay tweaks I can't think of much EA could do to improve an already excellent game. So expanding the market to women's teams might be a good move.

# 6 B5KoshYou @ 05/08/13 02:27 PM
What if EA just took a few weeks and did some mocap on a few women's players to provide the infrastructure for users to create women's teams? The current men's kits and team/country logos could be used to make generic teams like Pro Evo. That way it would be up to the users to create authentic teams in Creation Centre. I'm sure cost involved for staff even for a couple weeks would be seen as prohibitive, but it would add a new feature to reach more of a growing demographic.

# 7 paconaifas @ 05/08/13 02:38 PM
Aside from the US, and some northern europe countries, women soccer isnīt popular at all. I don't think that it would be a feature that should be added, simply because only a small portion of the people that play the game, would play with female teams or players, and there are so many other things that they could use their time, and work to make better within the game. I myself would never play it as I never watch women soccer. I donīt have anything against women playing the sport, I just don't find it fun to watch, as it doesn't have the speed and athleticism that men put into the game!

# 8 HozAndMoose @ 05/08/13 02:43 PM
when FIFA world cup 14 comes out. id be more willing to but it if the women were in it. US mens team is crap. I dont see them making a whole separate game just for the womens world cup.

# 9 RandyBass @ 05/08/13 02:57 PM
I think the women's World Cup would be the way to go. Either that or Marta:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iba7RiOuvEQ

# 10 ncaafootball14markus @ 05/08/13 07:27 PM
the great thing about the women's national teams is that the USA would be ranked #1 or #2. that's pretty kool, since our men's U.S. squad sux donkey balls. i wouldn't mind playing the women's world cup.

# 11 cashless @ 05/09/13 02:31 AM
Just turn down every slider to zero and squint your eyes.

# 12 RaiNN @ 05/09/13 09:35 AM
Women's football sucks. I was at a game once and this women shot from the kickoff point and the ball trickled in the goal. Women are slower, physically weaker and therefore the game itself becomes slow which is kinda boring.

I don't want to offend any women nor any fans of women's football but those biological differences make women's football really boring to watch and I suppose that's why it would be boring to play.

Maybe there will be some feminists who'll sue EA... or make some fuss about it but it's just not profitable for EA

# 13 tHurley2010 @ 05/09/13 09:45 AM
A couple of questions to answer with regards to whether FIFA (or any sports game for that matter) should include women players and teams in their genre respective video games:

# 14 tHurley2010 @ 05/09/13 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHurley2010
A couple of questions to answer with regards to whether FIFA (or any sports game for that matter) should include women players and teams in their genre respective video games:
Since I got trigger happy:

1) Will including women significantly increase sales? As a lot of people said, women soccer is only really popular in the USA, I think mostly due to the fact that the USWNT is ranked #1 in the world. But other than that, women are, on the average, not as fast, not as strong, and not as reactive as men, and that would make the game not as exciting. If EA thinks including women will boost sales, then they'll by all means go for it, but I am of the opinion that sales would not significantly increase because most women are not sports video game players. The only game where it would be worthwhile is TW PGA because there really isn't a big difference between men and women golfers besides power--which is corrected for by the women playing shorter courses

2) Is it right for video games to not include women? This question is pretty self-explanatory and is ethical in nature. It has less to due with how it will affect sales and more to do with is it right that women aren't included in video games. I believe it is, because the brands being marketed are the NBA, NFL, MLB, NCAAMF, NHL, FIFA, and PGA, all of which don't have a woman player on them. So long as there is regularly not women on any of these men's sports, I think it is fair for women to be left out of the video games.

# 15 imhatch @ 05/09/13 10:50 AM
"maintain the status quo" is a stupid ****ing reason to not have women in the game (and not to do anything ever), sorry. the nhl series had women and the option to create a female pro in it. the tiger woods series has women and a women's tournament in it. women's hockey and golf are definitely less popular than women's soccer so popularity and "well would it increase sales?" are dumb points made irrelevant by the fact that ea has already done this before in different sports series.

# 16 Yeats @ 05/09/13 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlanni1
Why is this an issue? What's next, WNBA not in NBA 2k, right call?
I'm very PC when it comes to supporting women's rights etc. but this is the correct perspective here, absolutely.

# 17 The Goonibomber @ 05/12/13 08:39 AM
Why bother implementing women when you could just throw in the worst of the men? No sense made by trying to be inclusive for the sake of being inclusive....

# 18 Nox_Caelum @ 05/12/13 11:58 AM
If they want to, sure, but I'd rather they concentrate on actually improving the game before putting women's football in, seeing as I wouldn't play it.

# 19 Mo @ 05/12/13 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHurley2010
Since I got trigger happy:

But other than that, women are, on the average, not as fast, not as strong, and not as reactive as men, and that would make the game not as exciting.
I would suggest actually watching a match before implying that it's not as exciting.

As for the question at hand, if EA comes out with a FIFA WC Edition for 2014, that would be the perfect time to unleash this. Having the option to play the Mens or Womens WC would be awesome.

# 20 Buckeyed @ 05/12/13 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhatch
"maintain the status quo" is a stupid ****ing reason to not have women in the game (and not to do anything ever), sorry. the nhl series had women and the option to create a female pro in it. the tiger woods series has women and a women's tournament in it. women's hockey and golf are definitely less popular than women's soccer so popularity and "well would it increase sales?" are dumb points made irrelevant by the fact that ea has already done this before in different sports series.
Would it increase sales is the whole point. It is called capitalism not boo flipping hoo, women need to be in the game because we are all sissy hipsters these days. The game would not sell by itself and as a feature I tend to think a very small populace would really care past the initial curiosity. EA would make it unrealistic by having them play the same way men play.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.