Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

EA Sports has posted another Madden NFL 25 blog, this one covers playing defense. In the blog they talk about heat-seeker tackling, defensive recovery mechanic, lunge tackles, defensive awareness, pursuit angles and more.

Quote:
...defensive awareness plays a big role this year, as defenders with a higher awareness rating are less likely to bite on fake-outs. So when a ball carrier attempts a juke on a high-awareness defender, that player is likely to make an appropriate reaction and still make the tackle.

Another example is retuned pursuit angles, where defenders take smarter routes to the ball in order to track down ball carriers and make plays. In addition, defenders will now “break down” and prepare for a tackle as they get close to the ball carrier. This controls their momentum and puts them into the best position to make a play.

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jpdavis82 @ 05/15/13 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts
Still no word on better presnap alignments or pressing the TE's and slot backs.
Some of these things we just have to be patient for guys, once E3 comes we will have a lot better idea of what was and wasn't fixed in Madden 25.

# 22 coolcat3 @ 05/15/13 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
I'm wasn't expecting anything different than in years past from the current-gen Madden, but seeing crap like this gets me discourages about the next-gen Madden. It's hard for me to believe that they can turn this franchise around, especially in the first next-gen release, but I hope they can, I really don't wanna go another 8-10 years without playing a good NFL game.
This is why I would love to see 2k make another NFL game. They have it in them to make a perfect football game (or close to perfect) The only complaint with APF was that there were no current players.

# 23 splff3000 @ 05/15/13 06:48 PM
Quote:
For instance, defensive awareness plays a big role this year, as defenders with a higher awareness rating are less likely to bite on fake-outs.
Umm hasn't this been the case for previous Maddens as well? Are they saying awareness had no effect on whether a defender got faked out by a move in previous Maddens? It's amazing what EA will say about previous versions of Madden to sell the current one lol. Anyway, after reading this blog, I understand why the vid looked like much of the same stuff. It's because the blog said much of the same stuff as well lol. Is it just me or does it seem like they work on pursuit angles every year lol. Anyway, the vid and this blog did nothing for me (either way) and honestly, I feel they could have saved this to focus on getting the connected franchise blog out on time on the 20th. That's what I'm really looking forward to because it's painfully obvious to me that at this point, the gameplay ain't gonna be changing too much.

# 24 Hova57 @ 05/15/13 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Umm hasn't this been the case for previous Maddens as well? Are they saying awareness had no effect on whether a defender got faked out by a move in previous Maddens? It's amazing what EA will say about previous versions of Madden to sell the current one lol. Anyway, after reading this blog, I understand why the vid looked like much of the same stuff. It's because the blog said much of the same stuff as well lol. Is it just me or does it seem like they work on pursuit angles every year lol. Anyway, the vid and this blog did nothing for me (either way) and honestly, I feel they could have saved this to focus on getting the connected franchise blog out on time on the 20th. That's what I'm really looking forward to because it's painfully obvious to me that at this point, the gameplay ain't gonna be changing too much.
I feel u but also I think in all honesty I believe defensively what they need to add has more to do with animations and less bout features dline and lb need gap assignments true zone assignments. I think that's way d seems lime nothing there imo

# 25 RGiles36 @ 05/15/13 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Some of these things we just have to be patient for guys, once E3 comes we will have a lot better idea of what was and wasn't fixed in Madden 25.
You were a one-man riot on Twitter for 3 days while this video was delayed, yet you preach patience .

# 26 grodbetatted @ 05/15/13 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat3
This is why I would love to see 2k make another NFL game. They have it in them to make a perfect football game (or close to perfect) The only complaint with APF was that there were no current players.
APF 2k8 played much too much like NFL 2k.. seeing that they were made by the same company. The animations looked weird to me and on top of that sprinting with a ball carrier on that game was completely ********.

# 27 bxgoods @ 05/15/13 09:38 PM
Those screenshots in that blog look on point. I can see they changed player models, their limbs look more human like.
Also the new lighting system stands out.

# 28 BezO @ 05/15/13 09:47 PM
I like the heat seeker option. Real life tackling involves things that can't be used in video games. You can't watch a ball carriers's waist, for example. Assistance without taking control from the user? Hopefully it uses a good balance of user input & ratings. But it shouldn't be tied to awareness. Tackling & agility.

Defensive recovery mechanic? Is that the defensive version of the footwork? Either way, good to know defenders will also move more realistically.

Diving sounds good.

# 29 ncaafootball14markus @ 05/15/13 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
Heh still haven't fixed the colts socks, that's a big fine in today's NFL to have no white showing on the socks.

Anyways this was about what I expected on this front, was hoping to hear something about pass defense but whatev's I guess.
you don't have to wear the white socks. look at reggie wayne. you're saying he was fined for just taping his shoes w/ black tape and not wearing white socks? i don't think so.

# 30 ncaafootball14markus @ 05/15/13 10:02 PM
i'm so glad i didn't buy madden 13, so i could complain w/ the majority of peeps here that bought it thinking that the infinity engine was going to work like amazing in its first iteration.

i think this madden 25 is going to be a really decent game, and the videos do show it. it's not perfect, but it's seems to be a great transition into next-gen.

# 31 speedy9386 @ 05/15/13 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
Heh still haven't fixed the colts socks, that's a big fine in today's NFL to have no white showing on the socks.

Anyways this was about what I expected on this front, was hoping to hear something about pass defense but whatev's I guess.
lol why would they fine somebody for that?

# 32 RGiles36 @ 05/15/13 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaafootball14markus
you don't have to wear the white socks. look at reggie wayne. you're saying he was fined for just taping his shoes w/ black tape and not wearing white socks? i don't think so.
It is a fine, 5K I thought. Regardless, it was a bug last year that you'd assume would be fixed in the next iteration of Madden at the latest. Early screens say no. That disregard for fine details is where this game suffers IMO.

# 33 youALREADYknow @ 05/16/13 12:46 AM
I don't understand relating "juke defense" to Awareness instead of Tackle and Pursuit.

Awareness is currently a global modifier for effectiveness of actions so it seems like we're going backwards to the days of Madden where AWR was the Super Rating.

# 34 CT Pitbull @ 05/16/13 04:20 AM
OFF TOPIC HERE

I cant help but notice in the new trailer that the 49ers helmets are still all jacked up. what happened to the shine of the helmets since madden 12? hopefully the EA art team can address this before the game hits shelves. the 49ers have gold helmets in real life. they do not have tan flat finish helmets like what is shown in the new video. Details EA details details details, they go a long way with presenting a "complete" product. again sorry for being off topic

# 35 BezO @ 05/16/13 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by californ14
"Awareness" I see as the ability of the player to recognize randomness of a situation at any given moment of a play, during the play...Where play recognition would be a players ability to recognize the surroundings prior to the snap, the "awareness" taking care of what happens at any moment once the play starts....

I could see having "Tackling" influence the ability to take someone down during a juke move, with the "awareness" determining if the defender recognized the juke and direction in time to attempt to make a tackle...
IMO, awareness should be tied to reading & recognizing plays. What to do when you see a certain formation, individual alignment, pulling lineman, misdirection, QB drop depth, etc... the mental part of diagnosing a play.

Pursuit needs to be it's own rating if it's not already. It's both mental & physical. You have to know what angles to take and have the quickness & speed to do so.

What you do after diagnosing the play is all physical. Tackling involves strength, quickness, technique & using visual cues.

Ray Lewis is a perfect example. His awareness only got better as his career progressed, up to his retirement. But he clearly lost some of the physical ability. He didn't shed blocks nor tackle as well as he did in his prime. His body couldn't do what his mind put him in position to do, at least not as well as he once did.

So I'm curious how this will play out. For some great players in their prime, it won't matter. Willis is at the top of his game, both mentally & physically. But what about aging veterans whose physical abilities no longer match their mental abilities? What would Lewis' awareness rating be this year? Would you put it where it should be and have him tackling better than he should? Or do you lower it artificially to compensate for his declining physical abilities?

# 36 brza37 @ 05/16/13 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by californ14
"Awareness" I see as the ability of the player to recognize randomness of a situation at any given moment of a play, during the play...Where play recognition would be a players ability to recognize the surroundings prior to the snap, the "awareness" taking care of what happens at any moment once the play starts....

I do not want to see any one rating becoming a "super rating" though....That cannot be good...
Donny Moore was asked on twitter about AWR or PRC for defenders and he said PRC is more important for defenders.

Quote:
Melton Potts@_Mr_Potts 5 Mai @Donny_Moore for CB's does awr and prc matter or am I right to just get PRC up as far as possible. Same ? For LB's

Donny Moore@Donny_Moore 5 Mai
@_Mr_Potts prc matters more on defense
Basically PRC is for defenders what AWR is for QBs. It gets CPU defenders to react to the play quicker, take fewer false steps, and get in the right position before the ball is thrown and make the right decision when they're in position. After the ball is thrown and on run plays PUR takes over to regulate how well they get into position to make a tackle. AWR still plays a large part in defender OVR rating but I think thats just a legacy issue and not a real important rating anymore.

Here's a link to a study on AWR and PRC effects in simmed games:
http://maddenmanniac.blogspot.de/201...-and-play.html

I know simmed games are different to how ratings work when the game is actually played but its also interesting to see the connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Pursuit needs to be it's own rating if it's not already. It's both mental & physical. You have to know what angles to take and have the quickness & speed to do so.
Pursuit is its own rating. It seemed elite players and most LBs have similar ratings in PUR and PRC (Elite LBs have high ratings in both while lower rated LBs had average or low in both). Average DEs or even elite DTs had really high PUR but low PRC. I guess thats to keep DL from always recognizing draws and screens. Average DBs tended to have high PRC but low PUR which probably allows for big plays once the ball-carrier makes it to the second level.

# 37 BezO @ 05/16/13 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37
Basically PRC is for defenders what AWR is for QBs. It gets CPU defenders to react to the play quicker, take fewer false steps, and get in the right position before the ball is thrown and make the right decision when they're in position. After the ball is thrown and on run plays PUR takes over to regulate how well they get into position to make a tackle...

...Pursuit is its own rating. It seemed elite players and most LBs have similar ratings in PUR and PRC (Elite LBs have high ratings in both while lower rated LBs had average or low in both). Average DEs or even elite DTs had really high PUR but low PRC. I guess thats to keep DL from always recognizing draws and screens. Average DBs tended to have high PRC but low PUR which probably allows for big plays once the ball-carrier makes it to the second level.
Cool, except I hope there are exceptions with d-linemen/PRC & DBs/PUR.

I saw good & bad lateral pursuit in the vid. What I don't think they showed was the down field pursuit. Props if they got rid of the conga line that forms behind/besides break-away runners.

And I hope blocking interaction has improved enough to allow DBs to tackle realistically.

# 38 Ueauvan @ 05/16/13 02:03 PM
ive always increased prc on def not awr. if awr becomes the master then prc takes a backseat but you still have to increase it.

whether a play is a run or pa or a draw or pass or option prc should be the master imo especially as its logical from game film? to me this just means that defences will progress slower than offence again because offence and especially passing is sexy. until exps are gained by actually stopping drives for the defence and for everyone to win etc vs game reqts which can be counter intuitive between two positions then defenders will be behind offence

# 39 Gronk4M13 @ 05/16/13 04:36 PM
Heat seeking tackle is the biggest thing that sticks out to me. In Madden 13 and past Maddens, I've seen so many bad pursuit angles that have led to big plays, for my team and against my team both. Hopefully this fixes that.

# 40 MysteriousPanther @ 05/19/13 02:02 AM
I've seen the trailers twice now. Is it just me or the defense reminds me of Madden NFL 2005?

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.