Home
NHL 14 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

EA Sports has just posted their NHL 14 gameplay developer diary, which goes over one touch dekes, true performance skating improvements, defensive strafing, quicker pivots, improved high speed turning, linking 45-degree cuts and more.

NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 hossafan91 @ 05/16/13 11:10 AM
"Remember kids, if your hockey bag has wheels, you probably don't" Classic

# 2 murph17 @ 05/16/13 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossafan91
"Remember kids, if your hockey bag has wheels, you probably don't" Classic
bite me Rammer. my hockey bag is friggin' heavy, so what if it has wheels? pucks, helmet/skate parts, extra jerseys, etc...

# 3 ComaFaction @ 05/16/13 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph17
bite me Rammer. my hockey bag is friggin' heavy, so what if it has wheels? pucks, helmet/skate parts, extra jerseys, etc...
so carry it like a man

# 4 13whitebread @ 05/16/13 03:16 PM
Please tell me there's more presentation I hope they will surprise us instead of waiting untill next gen heck nhl2k had it back some years ago. Overall very happy with what I am seeing . I love the NHL series for me all I need is new announcers and more TV style presentation aspect and it will send this game over the top. Hockey is the greatest sport on ice. Next to full contact curling of course.

# 5 Fiddy @ 05/16/13 03:51 PM
so, they made deking even easier than it is now. great.

from the looks of it, the loose puck dekes, the puck is still glued to the player/animation and cant be poked away like it should when in position. great.

they got rid of the skating in mud when turning or making a quick change of direction. sweet, even easier to skate around the d men with speed, agility, and endurance. great.

honestly, wish they would have just updated the skating animations from 12 to 13, not added this new skating stuff. bc its done more harm than good IMO. same goes from 13 to 14, keep updating the animations for dekes, new ones etc. keep updating and tuning how the AI reacts to plays and what not. yet they dont.

IMO, as much as i moan and groan, these guys are close to making a solid gameplay hockey game, but yet so far away. bah!

# 6 Simple Mathematics @ 05/16/13 05:50 PM
Well I'm glad that worse players won't be able to pull off the cool dekes. I think the ratings revamped project will take this to the next level, so only the guys who should be doing these kind of dekes will be doing them.

# 7 hydroshubong @ 05/16/13 06:16 PM
Danglefest!!!! wooo

# 8 hydroshubong @ 05/16/13 06:17 PM
It's gonna be like, deke after deke after deke after deke after deke after deke, shot and score!!!!

# 9 porky14 @ 05/16/13 08:22 PM
Imagine the C H E E S E now !!!!!!!

# 10 bwiggy33 @ 05/17/13 03:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy

from the looks of it, the loose puck dekes, the puck is still glued to the player/animation and cant be poked away like it should when in position. great.

they got rid of the skating in mud when turning or making a quick change of direction. sweet, even easier to skate around the d men with speed, agility, and endurance. great.

honestly, wish they would have just updated the skating animations from 12 to 13, not added this new skating stuff. bc its done more harm than good IMO. same goes from 13 to 14, keep updating the animations for dekes, new ones etc. keep updating and tuning how the AI reacts to plays and what not. yet they dont.

IMO, as much as i moan and groan, these guys are close to making a solid gameplay hockey game, but yet so far away. bah!
Fully agree!

The only reason they are so far away from making a great game, is because they don't realize how close they are and what has to be done to make it great.

# 11 jonapaloma @ 05/17/13 03:35 AM
As long as you will be able to counter dekes like this it will be fine.

I hope you can change attributes and yuou see the difference so it isnt like in NHL 11 where you could change puck control to 36 and you could still deke with any player and it was almost impossible to lose the puck.

# 12 ComaFaction @ 05/17/13 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy

Interesting to interpret it that way, instead of realizing that these very things are what can (potentially) bring balance to the defense. Being able to strafe as well as quickly pivot are things that will give defenders a much bigger toolbox to defend with.

# 13 Fiddy @ 05/17/13 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaFaction
Interesting to interpret it that way, instead of realizing that these very things are what can (potentially) bring balance to the defense. Being able to strafe as well as quickly pivot are things that will give defenders a much bigger toolbox to defend with.
yeah, hate to be a downer, but everything they add or tweak ends up making the o that much stronger than the d. so until that track record is broke, i will continue to look at it that way.

i hope it does bring balance to the game for sure.

# 14 Money99 @ 05/17/13 12:49 PM
I like the widening of the cone vision. I hope it also means that weaker defensemen will have a slimmer cone than others.

# 15 ericromain @ 05/17/13 11:11 PM
This is a going to be a light year as the series tools up for the next gen consoles. I'm willing to accept these modest updates. I'm hoping the tougher dekes will remain difficult to pull off, and the quick dekes aren't really much tougher in execution than current. I'll have a good time with these tweaks while i wait for NHL 15

# 16 TjJunior @ 05/18/13 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLaguna
I love the new features that EA tries to incorporate but I also think they need to just improve on the basic fundamentals of hockey dynamics to really be successful.

There should be more distinct styles of play for each team and player...currently, all teams play very similarly and all players play very similarly and lack a wide variety of play styles, tendencies, and attributes...not to mention the game overall lacks a large enough variety in distinct animations...

...Everybody moves, shoots, checks and acts the same in the game which creates a very sterile 'been there, done that, seen this' style of play with each and every game which makes the game feel very dull and repetitive after playing just a few franchise games!.....

Watch many of these playoff games and see how much players over extend themselves, reaching and poking and really going all out after the puck or to break up a play. You really dont see this level of exertion, hustle and dynamics in the video game.

Also closely notice the risk vs reward aspect of the skating in the NHL; whereas players will make shart tight turns against gravity to try and cut into the net to get a shot on net...but sometimes cut too hard and completely wipe out!...There is none of this risk in EA NHL skating that could force a wipeout.

Also notice how guys in the NHL go to line up the hits against the boards to plaster the opponent and/or pin them hard into the rattling boards. This whole aspect of the game is watered down, and repetitively oversimplifed with the same animations and limited results each time...absolutely no organic feel to it whatsoever

THESE are the things that really need to IMPROVE to make this THE GAME to buy

Its like you put a large caliber pistol to the side of my dome and blew my brains out in the form of your words. The same applies to ALL EA sports games, in my opinion. Graphics has been the forefront for the most part, lets call it a sub par engine with a spectacular paint job. I play EA for newness (not a word), but 2k takes the cake for simulation gameplay for me. I enjoy giving my cash to both companies.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.