Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

Another MLB 13 The Show title update has arrived this morning, bringing it up to version 1.23. It weighs in at 184 MB.

A patch is also available for the PS Vita, bringing it up to version 1.06. It weighs in at 29 MB and includes uniform updates.

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Bobhead @ 05/22/13 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
Sounds like just an excuse for not getting the uniforms right to me.

Why would it be so important for MLB the Show to follow the style guide, but no other company?
You're right none of the other hundreds of companies that make baseball games have to follow the style guide...

oh wait, there's only one, and it's already been explained why they don't have to adhere as strictly.

# 82 Factzzz @ 05/22/13 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
You're right none of the other hundreds of companies that make baseball games have to follow the style guide...

oh wait, there's only one, and it's already been explained why they don't have to adhere as strictly.
I didn't say games, i said companies.

Companies that make merchandise, and any other products pertaining to the team, not just video games.

Comprehension buddy.

# 83 HighCmpPct @ 05/22/13 07:23 PM
How about because they don't have another company with exclusivity rights that allows them to determine what the other company is or isn't allowed to do/have?

# 84 Perfect Zero @ 05/22/13 07:57 PM
Quote:

Why would it be so important for MLB the Show to follow the style guide, but no other company?

Why would the Show have the color of the nationals road socks and undershirts wrong in 12 but the road undershirt color right in 13 but not the socks? The Nationals edited their style guide to fix the undershirts, but not the socks?

Why would the rockies jersey be correct in earlier versions of the Show, but not this one?

Why would the Rays take their light blue jersey out of their style guide, if they are going to wear them all the time during the season?

I personally don't buy this style guide stuff, but whatever you want to believe, and it's a moot point any ways because at the end of the day, i can't do anything about it, and I'm going to buy the game anyways.
Ask yourself these same questions and then ask yourself one the big question: Why would SCEA have uniforms that don't match on the field or take away uniforms? I can only think of two answers. The one that makes any sense is the one that Russell somewhat alludes to; that the developers don't look at the actual games to get the uniforms right but instead look at what MLB gives them. We have some of our guys (Knight in particular) that has backed this up in the past.

The other answer is that they just want to piss people off or they want to pull the strings of gamers. Honestly, that answer makes no sense at all and flies in the face of what SCEA has done in the past. They have a home slot, a road slot, a home and road alternate slot, and two throwback slots that are linked in modes like RttS and Franchise, and that's all they got. They have the MLB Style Guide to follow (which does exist and which MLB has a license agreement to bind companies to). They have the Cooperstown Collection that they have to go with in throwbacks. They have a team of lawyers that want to keep the license that they have. When you look at the whole picture, there is only one answer that is plausible.

And it isn't that SCEA wants to **** with its customers.

# 85 G3no_11 @ 05/22/13 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Dude, I haven't seen any screens or any evidence of this. In fact the only information I've seen post-patch are stats that seemed more realistic.
Yeah, pretty sure someone was posting the stats of 2019 and beyond a few hours after the patch was released. I also thought that you were commenting after most of the stats updates... so I don't really see what the problem is.

# 86 Gagnon39 @ 05/22/13 09:04 PM
I'm running a simulation right now to see it with my own eyes. Right now I'm in 2017 and have yet to see anything abnormal. Stay tuned.

# 87 JaySwizzlez @ 05/22/13 09:22 PM
I don't know if anybody else has this problem, but my T.V. is not capable of running in 720p, and it really ruins the experience. In franchise, pulling up the a player card does not give you the ability to view his potential. This is a big problem for me, and has rendered franchise unplayable to me. I just don't understand how something like that slips through the cracks.

# 88 HighCmpPct @ 05/22/13 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwizzlez
I don't know if anybody else has this problem, but my T.V. is not capable of running in 720p, and it really ruins the experience. In franchise, pulling up the a player card does not give you the ability to view his potential. This is a big problem for me, and has rendered franchise unplayable to me. I just don't understand how something like that slips through the cracks.
Why is it unplayable? I rarely ever check potential on the player card, I primarily use it for lineups/rotation/pen moves.

Why not just check it in the manage roster screen?

# 89 LaserRocketArm31 @ 05/22/13 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwizzlez
The PS3 is not capable of delivering games in 1080p. It may be in 1080p mode but it is actually delivering an even worse resolution than 720p. Remember, this is 10-12 year old tech in the PS3, if you bought the components on eBay for a PC they would cost you about $3. Unfortunately, there is nothing SECA can do that Sony has waited so long to upgrade the system. Nothing has slipped through the cracks, the PS3 is just not capable of 1080p.

# 90 redsoxfan25 @ 05/22/13 10:14 PM
Is it me or does Sounds of the Show seem to be a bit louder after the update?

# 91 bkrich83 @ 05/22/13 10:16 PM
Quote:

Why would the Show have the color of the nationals road socks and undershirts wrong in 12 but the road undershirt color right in 13 but not the socks? The Nationals edited their style guide to fix the undershirts, but not the socks?

Why would the rockies jersey be correct in earlier versions of the Show, but not this one?

Why would the Rays take their light blue jersey out of their style guide, if they are going to wear them all the time during the season?

I personally don't buy this style guide stuff, but whatever you want to believe, and it's a moot point any ways because at the end of the day, i can't do anything about it, and I'm going to buy the game anyways.
You can't argue with kind of ignorance.

What do they have to gain from not updating the uniforms? Other than being criticized by a bunch of nobodies on the internet that is.

SCEA's limitation due to the style guide/contractual obligations is not new, nor is it that hard to fathom. Why people fail to understand this 6 years later I'll never understand. Other than the fact that there are those out there who like to use the anonymity of the internet to complain for the sake of complaining and to act like they have an inking of a clue as to how things like this work.

See the above quoted post for evidence.

# 92 Gagnon39 @ 05/22/13 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeebs
Dude, they haven't changed, it's still the same. Someone posted information you seek earlier and in another thread. You gotta be the only one wondering this because everyone else knows it hasn't changed and it's been the same for a few years now. It's the way progression and regression is. The stats are still the same and still escalating as the years go on. Simulate and find out for yourself...
Okay, "dude." I simulated myself so check this out.

Year 2022...

The team with the highest batting average was the Yankees at .273. Last year (in real life) the highest batting average was the Tigers at .280. I'd say that's pretty close. The worst average in the 2022 simulation was the Marlins at .248. Last year in 2012 the worst team average was .222. Here's the kicker... prior to the 1.23 patch in a 2022 simulation the highest average was .330 and the worst was .297. Not convincing enough? Okay, let's look at ERA.

2022 simulation had the Atlanta Braves at 3.63 (best in the league). Last year the best team ERA was 3.19. While that's up its definitely not inflated to the tune of the league-best 5.50 ERA in 2022 before the 1.23 patch. The worst ERA was 5.26 by the Boston Red Sox. Last year the worst ERA was 5.22 posted by the Colorado Rockies. Pretty close I'd say.

If that's not enough let's look at RBIs. Last year the team with the most RBIs in the Majors was the Texas Rangers. They had a total of 780 runs batted in. In the 2022 simulation the Detroit Tigers had the league's most RBIs at 884. You might say that 104 more RBIs is cause for concern. However, if you look at recent totals it is completely believable. In 2011 the Red Sox had 842 RBIs, and if you go back to 2006 the New York Yankees had over 900 RBIs. And in the years from 2006 to 2012 there were teams in the mid-to-upper 880's in RBIs. So 884 is not that far fetched at all.

So let's summarize...

You say that "everyone else knows it hasn't changed." Well, hopefully now they realize (including you) that perhaps it has changed. One can definitely still argue that stats are "escalating" but if you compare the manner and degree in which this escalation was taking place prior to the 1.23 patch and look at the results after the patch I think it is difficult to deny that something was tweaked.

Again, to go from a league best 5.50 ERA to a 3.63 and a league worst batting average of .297 to .222, I think this is quite a difference. Now I'm sure that you'll come back with some kind of sarcastic retort that tries to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about but I suggest that you take your own advice and "simulate and find out for yourself."

Really the only thing we're missing to further solidify this proof is a comment from Russell or someone from SCEA stating that this "balancing issue" was addressed in the 1.23 patch.

By the way, I hope I3RIS3H, G3no_11 and bigp51 "like" these apples.

# 93 Factzzz @ 05/22/13 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
You can't argue with kind of ignorance.

What do they have to gain from not updating the uniforms? Other than being criticized by a bunch of nobodies on the internet that is.

SCEA's limitation due to the style guide/contractual obligations is not new, nor is it that hard to fathom. Why people fail to understand this 6 years later I'll never understand. Other than the fact that there are those out there who like to use the anonymity of the internet to complain for the sake of complaining and to act like they have an inking of a clue as to how things like this work.

See the above quoted post for evidence.
You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to my opinion, and you're ignorant for not realizing that. So keep drinking the kool-aid.

# 94 bkrich83 @ 05/23/13 12:11 AM
Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to my opinion, and you're ignorant for not realizing that. So keep drinking the kool-aid.
Has nothing to do with opinions or kool-aid. The facts are quite simple here, some people fail to be able to process them for whatever reason. Just the way it goes, the world needs ditch diggers too.

# 95 G3no_11 @ 05/23/13 12:14 AM
Quote:
I do like these apples. Much better to just do it yourself than to give attitude on here.

# 96 Gagnon39 @ 05/23/13 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3no_11
I do like these apples. Much better to just do it yourself than to give attitude on here.
Check out Threebs' comments for an attitude.

# 97 G3no_11 @ 05/23/13 01:36 AM
Quote:
Check out Threebs' comments for an attitude.
Probably shouldn't call people out when you were the one originally giving the attitude.

# 98 Threeebs @ 05/23/13 11:44 AM
Quote:
Okay, "dude." I simulated myself so check this out.
Quote:

Year 2022...

The team with the highest batting average was the Yankees at .273. Last year (in real life) the highest batting average was the Tigers at .280. I'd say that's pretty close. The worst average in the 2022 simulation was the Marlins at .248. Last year in 2012 the worst team average was .222. Here's the kicker... prior to the 1.23 patch in a 2022 simulation the highest average was .330 and the worst was .297. Not convincing enough? Okay, let's look at ERA.

2022 simulation had the Atlanta Braves at 3.63 (best in the league). Last year the best team ERA was 3.19. While that's up its definitely not inflated to the tune of the league-best 5.50 ERA in 2022 before the 1.23 patch. The worst ERA was 5.26 by the Boston Red Sox. Last year the worst ERA was 5.22 posted by the Colorado Rockies. Pretty close I'd say.

If that's not enough let's look at RBIs. Last year the team with the most RBIs in the Majors was the Texas Rangers. They had a total of 780 runs batted in. In the 2022 simulation the Detroit Tigers had the league's most RBIs at 884. You might say that 104 more RBIs is cause for concern. However, if you look at recent totals it is completely believable. In 2011 the Red Sox had 842 RBIs, and if you go back to 2006 the New York Yankees had over 900 RBIs. And in the years from 2006 to 2012 there were teams in the mid-to-upper 880's in RBIs. So 884 is not that far fetched at all.

So let's summarize...

You say that "everyone else knows it hasn't changed." Well, hopefully now they realize (including you) that perhaps it has changed. One can definitely still argue that stats are "escalating" but if you compare the manner and degree in which this escalation was taking place prior to the 1.23 patch and look at the results after the patch I think it is difficult to deny that something was tweaked.

Again, to go from a league best 5.50 ERA to a 3.63 and a league worst batting average of .297 to .222, I think this is quite a difference. Now I'm sure that you'll come back with some kind of sarcastic retort that tries to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about but I suggest that you take your own advice and "simulate and find out for yourself."

Really the only thing we're missing to further solidify this proof is a comment from Russell or someone from SCEA stating that this "balancing issue" was addressed in the 1.23 patch.

I'm sorry to break your heart but I can assure you I've never seen any inflated stats like the one's that you're posting from before the latest update. All the numbers you are giving me now from after the latest update are in line with what I've been seeing in franchise mode since update 1.18. In fact in my latest franchise I finished up season 2016 before the latest update and league wide ERA average was 4.08 and after dowloading the latest update, simulating through season 2017, ERA jumped up to 4.27.

Perhaps you are mistakenly spouting off information about pre-update stats in RTTS because like I've said, I've never seen inflated stats like that in franchise mode before this latest update. I've only seen numbers that are in line with what you're claiming to be changed with the latest update... How 'bout them apples!? LMAO...

# 99 HechticSooner @ 05/23/13 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeebs
I'm sorry to break your heart but I can assure you I've never seen any inflated stats like the one's that you're posting from before the latest update. All the numbers you are giving me now from after the latest update are in line with what I've been seeing in franchise mode since update 1.18. In fact in my latest franchise I finished up season 2016 before the latest update and league wide ERA average was 4.08 and after dowloading the latest update, simulating through season 2017, ERA jumped up to 4.27.

Perhaps you are mistakenly spouting off information about pre-update stats in RTTS because like I've said, I've never seen inflated stats like that in franchise mode before this latest update. I've only seen numbers that are in line with what you're claiming to be changed with the latest update... How 'bout them apples!? LMAO...

I thought the definition of inflated was above those things you've seen before... those stats sound inline with real life stats thus inflation isn't occurring, unless you're definition is that they go up over a one year period then that is just within statistical variants.

# 100 JaySwizzlez @ 05/23/13 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserRocketArm31
The PS3 is not capable of delivering games in 1080p. It may be in 1080p mode but it is actually delivering an even worse resolution than 720p. Remember, this is 10-12 year old tech in the PS3, if you bought the components on eBay for a PC they would cost you about $3. Unfortunately, there is nothing SECA can do that Sony has waited so long to upgrade the system. Nothing has slipped through the cracks, the PS3 is just not capable of 1080p.
Sorry for the miscommunication, but my T.V. is older and only runs 480p. I understand this is old technology but the potential rating could be seen on the card last year but not this year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.