Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

MyMaddenPad has posted details on formation audibles in Madden NFL 25.

Quote:
In real life, coaches call plays based on personnel and that’s what EA wants players to do. They want more realistic play calling and more realistic audibles being called.

While playing Madden NFL 25 in early May I dove into how this system worked first hand and it worked as expected. Each formation had their own set of audibles you can audible to within that formation. How to set up your audibles is easy too. You would go into the ‘Coaching Options’ under the ‘Customize’ tab and then you go to ‘Customize Playbooks’ which will allow you to update audibles and plays for all playbooks. From this screen you’ll be able to create a playbook or edit an already existing playbook. If you go to the audible tab you’ll see the formation in a big screen that shows you the personnel with 4 audibles for that formation on the right side. Pressing the confirm button takes you to a screen where you can replace one of the audibles with any of the plays in the formation. It’s still unclear if all the plays in that formation will be available or just the plays from that formation in that playbook.

UPDATE: Shopmaster updated the article with some more information.

Kolbe (Madden Creative Director) also chimed in with a few items of interest.

Quote:
While on the field, you CAN audible to any Formation and Set combination that shares the personnel group you have on the field.

For example - lets say you're the Cardinals, because everyone wants to be the Cardinals. You're on the field in Shotgun Bunch (11 personnel) - you complete the previous pass and no huddle. You then bring up the audible menu and you have audibles for:

Shotgun - Bunch, Y-Trips HB Wk, Normal HB Wk, Split Close, Trio
Singleback - Tight Doubles, Z-Trip

In this case, that's a total of 28 audibles at the line - Congratulations, you're Peyton Manning.

Source - Madden NFL 25 Quick Hits: Formation Audibles (MyMaddenPad)

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 PSUEagle @ 05/28/13 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopMaster
Yes, the UI is friendlier and the important thing is you'll be able to set your audibles.
Do you know if you can control what order your formations are in (i.e. in singleback Ace goes first, the Ace Pair, then Doubles, etc.)? In that same vein, can you control what order the families are in (i.e. I want Ace first, then I, the Strong, then Weak, then Gun, and finally goalline)?

Thanks for the feedback: this system sounds like an overall improvement on what's been in place seemingly forever. One more quick question though: are there still personnel packages available that you can play with (i.e. Backup HB, TE slot, etc)?

# 42 ShopMaster @ 05/28/13 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUEagle
Do you know if you can control what order your formations are in (i.e. in singleback Ace goes first, the Ace Pair, then Doubles, etc.)? In that same vein, can you control what order the families are in (i.e. I want Ace first, then I, the Strong, then Weak, then Gun, and finally goalline)?

Thanks for the feedback: this system sounds like an overall improvement on what's been in place seemingly forever. One more quick question though: are there still personnel packages available that you can play with (i.e. Backup HB, TE slot, etc)?
I didn't see an option like in NCAA to rearrange your plays. I like that. Package subs are still in the game (Spell HB or TE Slot).

# 43 silveredge96 @ 05/28/13 11:16 PM
So is it pretty much the same system like NCAA is doing where you can pick any play which shares your personnel package or is it something different?

# 44 DeuceDouglas @ 05/28/13 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopMaster
I didn't see an option like in NCAA to rearrange your plays. I like that. Package subs are still in the game (Spell HB or TE Slot).
Any new package options like 3rd RB, or 3rd Down Back?

# 45 splff3000 @ 05/28/13 11:38 PM
This is great news!!!! Slowly, but surely this dev team is making me a believer in Madden again. I do stress the "slowly" part tho.

# 46 BezO @ 05/29/13 08:59 AM
Wait, was the play calling re-tiered, separating personnel & formations?

# 47 jpdavis82 @ 05/29/13 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Wait, was the play calling re-tiered, separating personnel & formations?
Audibles have been redone and are now based on personnel.

So you can audible from a strong I to a weak I or any formation that uses the same personnel grouping, but not whatever play you want.

# 48 BezO @ 05/29/13 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Audibles have been redone and are now based on personnel.
How far does it go though? Any personnel group can line up in any formation IRL. What are the limitations in Madden, if any? Can base personnel line up in a 3-WR look (HB/FB split-out)?

Quote:
So you can audible from a strong I to a weak I or any formation that uses the same personnel grouping, but not whatever play you want.
What determines the personnel grouping in the huddle? Are we selecting it or is it based on formation like it's always been?

# 49 BezO @ 05/29/13 10:11 AM
Got it. That's too bad. Hopefully they'll separate formations from personnel in the future.

# 50 BezO @ 05/29/13 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I think I got into a similar discussion, disagreement, with Senator Palmer awhile back, so could you expound on what you are referring to more. I know you have wanted tiered play calling on defense for sometime but what exactly would separating personnel from formations entail and what would it accomplish in-game? I am interested in understanding this premise more and how it translates into the video game.
Any personnel can line up in any formation.

Base personnel, 3 WR look with the RB lined up in the slot, for example.

2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB in a 3 WR look with a TE split out; in a 4 WR look with both TEs split or TE & RB split; in a base I-form look with TE at FB.

Coaches don't call formations to determine personnel. They call for specific personnel, then formation. Versatile players line up all over the place. I know online folks hate seeing players line up in unexpected places, but that's football. I'd like to see it in Madden.

As it is, if Madden doesn't have the formation/personnel combo you want, you have to use formation subs, which sucks because you have to edit every time you want different personnel for that formation.

# 51 jpdavis82 @ 05/29/13 11:26 AM
Quote:

2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB in a 3 WR look with a TE split out; in a 4 WR look with both TEs split or TE & RB split; in a base I-form look with TE at FB.

Coaches don't call formations to determine personnel. They call for specific personnel, then formation. Versatile players line up all over the place. I know online folks hate seeing players line up in unexpected places, but that's football. I'd like to see it in Madden.

As it is, if Madden doesn't have the formation/personnel combo you want, you have to use formation subs, which sucks because you have to edit every time you want different personnel for that formation.
They are trying to eliminate things like people lining up a WR in the TE position or where Mike Wallace is in the backfield. That happens in previous Madden's, but not in M25. Stuff like that doesn't happen in the NFL.

# 52 infemous @ 05/29/13 11:28 AM
Quote:

I will disagree. What is football, is the knowledge that Michael Turner will not be a threat when split out wide and that your CBs will automatically line up on the WRs. As it is, CBs line up on Michael Turner leaving a LB on a WR... That is broken.

This is a way of remedying that because its apparent that the devs can't make them line up correctly.

# 53 BezO @ 05/29/13 11:46 AM
Quote:
They are trying to eliminate things like people lining up a WR in the TE position or where Mike Wallace is in the backfield. That happens in previous Madden's, but not anymore. Stuff like that doesn't happen in the NFL.
I watch different games than some of you all. In the games I watch, TEs like Hernandez line up at WR/slot quite often. RBs like Bush line up at WR. Teams put RBs at QB. I can't recall a name right now, but I've seen WRs in the backfield just this past year. Jerry Rice used to do it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
I will disagree. What is football, is the knowledge that Michael Turner will not be a threat when split out wide and that your CBs will automatically line up on the WRs. As it is, CBs line up on Michael Turner leaving a LB on a WR... That is broken.

This is a way of remedying that because its apparent that the devs can't make them line up correctly.
OS/EA at it's finest. Fix problems by limitation.

No, Turner will not be a threat split out. And there are circumstances where a CB will line up over a split out RB/TE.

But let's keep asking for & celebrating the implementation of band-aids.

# 54 jpdavis82 @ 05/29/13 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyEaglesFly3
certain pass catching TEs do line up in the slot. Reggie Bush and Brian Westbrook are popular for this too. But it doesn't mean every RB TE and WR should be lining up at different positions in Madden. There are rarities that a single player can be productive at multiple positions.

So when the game has Randy Moss play RB, has DeSean Jackson playing TE, run blocking LBs, then you'll see how ridiculous it is to allow all positions to be audibled to other spots.
The guys on The Sim Perspective Radio show talked about this last night. The way the game is right now you can put Chris Johnson at QB and still have a pretty successful season due to his speed rating. When you edit a player's position or formation it should be within the confines of the NFL and that is the direction this game is heading. You should be punished for not playing simulation football. Put a 190lb FS against a 300+LB OT and he should get pancaked. If you go 5WR and send everyone deep they should sit out the next play, not go no huddle down the field play after play. I'm hoping the fatigue and stamina system will kill that from happening.

I'm all for having a guy like Percy Harvin or Randall Cobb in the backfield, but only a select few WR's should be able to and it should be determined by if they do in real life, not if the game allows you to exploit it that way.

# 55 BezO @ 05/29/13 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by californ14
People will most likely still be able to put a RB or TE in a slot or other WR position via the play selection screen where you can select subs within the formation....
Right. So it can still be done. And until the real problems are fixed, there will be issues.

The problem I have being relegated to formation subs is that you have to edit them every time you want different personnel.

Quote:
What you won't be able to do now is come out in a 5 WR set and then audible to a base set, etc; currently you could do this...
Maybe not exactly that, but teams shift. Madden actually had a shift mechanic in the game not too long ago, no?

Quote:
...and not suffer any negatives...Generally no coach will line up with WR's in the TE spots of a 2TE formation and run; it would be match-up suicide, but in Madden it has worked, but not any more.
The real problem. WRs block too well. RBs run routes too well. Let's celebrate when they fix the real issues.

If folks were as vocal about the real problems instead of the micro issues, devs would respond.

Quote:
certain pass catching TEs do line up in the slot. Reggie Bush and Brian Westbrook are popular for this too. But it doesn't mean every RB TE and WR should be lining up at different positions in Madden. There are rarities that a single player can be productive at multiple positions.
You're only recognizing players that excel when doing this. But coaches line players up like this all the time. They will line a FB up at WR to see what the defense does. Do they send a LB or CB? What does that say about what defense they're running? It's a basic strategy used regularly.

Quote:
So when the game has Randy Moss play RB, has DeSean Jackson playing TE, run blocking LBs, then you'll see how ridiculous it is to allow all positions to be audibled to other spots.
What's ridiculous is Moss being a SUCCESSFUL RB, Jackson SUCCESSFULLY blocking LBs.

San Fran used to put Jerry Rice in the backfield quite often. But it wasn't to run dives. It was used to set up defenses, dictate/reveal coverage, etc.

# 56 juicer420 @ 05/29/13 12:18 PM
Quote:

Answer to this: multiple position eligibility. If a player such as Randall Cobb is on the field, there should be more formations to audible to. Where he is in the backfield and other times lined up outside.

Players like this should be used the way NFL teams use versatile players. While also restricting any nonsense with non versatile players.

# 57 BezO @ 05/29/13 12:23 PM
Quote:
I'm all for having a guy like Percy Harvin or Randall Cobb in the backfield, but only a select few WR's should be able to and it should be determined by if they do in real life, not if the game allows you to exploit it that way.
I'm all for a select few being successful.

But until OS saw Cobb line up at RB, they'd have a problem with it. Cobb is not the most versatile slot receiver in the league. What's stopping the Broncos from using Welker in a similar way? Giants/Cruz?

There's nothing stopping any coach from putting any skill position player at RB. Success should be based on that player's skill set.

Remember the Wildcat?

# 58 jpdavis82 @ 05/29/13 12:26 PM
Quote:
I'm all for a select few being successful.

But until OS saw Cobb line up at RB, they'd have a problem with it. Cobb is not the most versatile slot receiver in the league. What's stopping the Broncos from using Welker in a similar way? Giants/Cruz?

There's nothing stopping any coach from putting any skill position player at RB. Success should be based on that player's skill set.

Remember the Wildcat?
Cobb does it quite often, not the most versatile slot WR in the league? He plays WR, QB, and HB.

# 59 RandyBass @ 05/29/13 12:27 PM
BezO, we have yet to see how what you're talking about has been handled, and whether or not you can create mismatches yourselves. In the past they've taken the various looks teams give into consideration, so unless they've completely scrapped that I imagine we'll see it addressed again in some shape or form.

Ideally they'd give users the ability to set up their own personnel packages, so that we can create those all important mismatches ourselves. But that has to be done through the playbook and game planning, not the audible system.

# 60 BezO @ 05/29/13 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicer420
Answer to this: multiple position eligibility. If a player such as Randall Cobb is on the field, there should be more formations to audible to. Where he is in the backfield and other times lined up outside.

Players like this should be used the way NFL teams use versatile players. While also restricting any nonsense with non versatile players.
Did you know Cobb would be successful lining up at RB prior to last season?

This year, when a team inevitably uses some player in an unconventional way, do we wait for EA to update rosters/playbooks? How does this work?

Why not allow what the NFL allows?

Hell, teams put OTs at TE in certain situations.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.