Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

UTC has posted their NCAA Football 14 Dynasty Mode roundtable, which includes discussion from a couple of guys from The Gaming Tailgate.

Quote:
In the Game Management skill tree, there are skills like “Antifreeze” to prevent your kicker from being “iced,” “Setup Artist” to help set up your play action pass plays more quickly after successful runs, and “Clutch” where your team gets performance bonuses in high-pressure situations. Each of the skills has three levels of development, with different perks at each level. What is your take on having Coach Skills which affect on-field performance? How do you feel about such perks affecting player-versus-player games in an Online Dynasty?

I really like the idea of Coach Skills affecting the on-field performance, though I am a little bit wary of it for a few reasons. Obviously in user-versus-user scenarios, there’s a chance that the playing field might become unbalanced if the Coach Skills are too easily built up by certain players to the detriment of their competition. I do also wonder, however, whether or not the CPU players in an offline Dynasty might build these Coach Skills up quickly as well, lending an artificial feel to playing against the AI. I think it’s definitely something that can be managed to avoid issues, but it remains to be seen until the game is out in the wild.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 stratospaly @ 05/29/13 10:53 AM
Wow its nice to see some highly respected guys who are almost as excited about the game as I am. Every year it seems the Debby downers come into this forum bashing the game as it is not up to their expectations.

I love the game for what I make it to be. What EA puts in front of me is a set of guidelines that I use to make it my own.

# 2 Colt45 @ 05/29/13 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratospaly
Wow its nice to see some highly respected guys who are almost as excited about the game as I am. Every year it seems the Debby downers come into this forum bashing the game as it is not up to their expectations.

I love the game for what I make it to be. What EA puts in front of me is a set of guidelines that I use to make it my own.
Yep. Totally agree.

# 3 merchant1874 @ 05/29/13 11:15 AM
Also agree, really like the look of what they have done.

Although nothing major it just looks a better experience all around.

Can't wait to get it.

# 4 TheBleedingRed21 @ 05/29/13 11:24 AM
I just feel people saw the dynasty trailer and forgot about the neutral stadiums, the small fixes that was covered in the podcast (The scheduled visits, etc.)

My biggest problem with NCAA was the recruiting was not even fun, I never could take the time to do it. The coaching was pointless because you did not get rewarded for being a good coach and the carousel did not make sense.

They have revamped recruiting, added the coach skill tree and fixed the logic for the carousel. I am super stoked for this NCAA version, fixed all my problems I had. (For the record, I am a bigger Madden player than NCAA)

# 5 BenGerman @ 05/29/13 12:23 PM
I really like the changes. I was expecting a little more, but hey, I'd rather them do it right than throw a bunch of stuff at us and do it wrong.

# 6 BenGerman @ 05/29/13 12:34 PM
They pose a good question: Will the CPU also have built up skills? It would be cool playing Alabama and having to worry about the play action as much as you would with them in real life. If not, it puts a major damper on the whole thing. I don't want to have skills the CPU is unable to attain.

# 7 Colt45 @ 05/29/13 12:38 PM
Yes, they do, and you can check the computer's skills somewhere in the menus. It was mentioned in the podcast.

This also plays into (not) being able to hire/fire your own coaches. While you can't hire whoever you want, you can take the points that the coach that you end up with and use them to build him up any way you want. So it's kind of a middle ground on hiring the guys you want.

# 8 moylan1234 @ 05/30/13 08:26 AM
good stuff. recruiting has me very excited after reading this I agree it got very time consuming last year. Also, thank god for OneEighth our lone offline voice.

# 9 jfsolo @ 05/30/13 08:57 AM
I really, really like the Dealbreaker feature. I hope that it wasn't somehow watered down at the last minute to help User teams out. If you're a new coach, at a lower tier school, with no tradition of success there should be a lot of players that you literally have no shot at getting. This will also help the CPU by providing some guaranteed checks on it's decision making in recruiting.

# 10 Strategizer @ 05/30/13 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I really, really like the Dealbreaker feature. I hope that it wasn't somehow watered down at the last minute to help User teams out. If you're a new coach, at a lower tier school, with no tradition of success there should be a lot of players that you literally have no shot at getting. This will also help the CPU by providing some guaranteed checks on it's decision making in recruiting.
Hopefully the frequency of deal breakers is tied to recruiting difficulty (seems obvious it would be). The one guy in the roundtable who tested as Akron made it sound like he was prevented from recruiting high ranked players due to deal breakers quite a bit, so let's hope it stays that way.

# 11 Brandwin @ 05/30/13 10:01 AM
So if I play as a coordinator (which I love to start off as) will I not be able to unlock the recruiting perks? Even as a coordinator you are the one doing all the recruiting, so that may take some of the fun away and strategy away and may have my lean towards being a head coach only.

# 12 Colt45 @ 05/30/13 11:25 AM
No, you can't. But when you become a head coach, your points as a coordinator carry over to the head coach tree.

Though it is an interesting question of if your head coach has recruiting boosts, do those work with a player doing the recruiting?

# 13 DorianDonP @ 05/30/13 01:04 PM
3 questions.

1. Year one in dynasty, will the coaches already have skills unlocked? For instance, if I play as Alabama, all of those elite levels of skills already be unlocked? Or if I don't play as Alabama, will the Bama CPU coach have all of the elite skills unlocked so that Bama is a beast in recruiting and on the field? Or does every coach start from the bottom?

2. How much of a ratings boost are we talking? My worry is that for some teams, the ratings boosts in addition to quick progression in the off-season will make the team play like every player has a 90+ overall rating. Will be 82 guy get ratings boost from his coordinator to bring him to 85 and a ratings boost from his HC to bring him to 90?

3. Can these skills be lost? Or once they are gained, they are always unlocked, even 25 years into a dynasty?

# 14 Colt45 @ 05/30/13 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45
Though it is an interesting question of if your head coach has recruiting boosts, do those work with a player doing the recruiting?
If anyone was interested in this, I asked it to the guys over at TGT. The answer is yes, which is nice.

Quote:
1. Year one in dynasty, will the coaches already have skills unlocked? For instance, if I play as Alabama, all of those elite levels of skills already be unlocked? Or if I don't play as Alabama, will the Bama CPU coach have all of the elite skills unlocked so that Bama is a beast in recruiting and on the field? Or does every coach start from the bottom?
They will have skills unlocked, probably at random, though. However, you can edit the starting skills when you edit the coaches' names and information. This was mentioned in the podcast.

Quote:
2. How much of a ratings boost are we talking? My worry is that for some teams, the ratings boosts in addition to quick progression in the off-season will make the team play like every player has a 90+ overall rating. Will be 82 guy get ratings boost from his coordinator to bring him to 85 and a ratings boost from his HC to bring him to 90?
Not sure about this one, but I do know you can control how fast XP is gained (or maybe how much bonuses cost).

Quote:
3. Can these skills be lost? Or once they are gained, they are always unlocked, even 25 years into a dynasty?
Since they haven't mentioned anything about this, or anything related to losing XP, I seriously doubt it.

# 15 cparrish @ 05/30/13 07:54 PM
Quote:
They will have skills unlocked, probably at random, though. However, you can edit the starting skills when you edit the coaches' names and information. This was mentioned in the podcast
For those of us who build rosters, can we edit this when we edit coaches in a roster file or is only editable in the dynasty itself?

# 16 Td1984 @ 05/30/13 08:00 PM
Quote:
No, you can't. But when you become a head coach, your points as a coordinator carry over to the head coach tree.

I believe so.

I think if you're a coordinator, you might be able to set the boosts of the HC and other coordinator as well.

# 17 K0ZZ @ 05/30/13 09:24 PM
From what I read, I took it as the skills are randomized based on a pool of points that each coach receives at the inception of each dynasty. It'll be nice for some variance and would definitely lead to different results down the road in dynasty (hopefully in the form of realistic championships and the rise of smaller programs or dormant BCS schools not one and dones like FIU going through a weak schedule)

EA really needs to have s.o.s. factor in a big way to post season rankings, even coming from a small school fan, a school going undefeated in the Sunbelt playing WAC (now defunct) schools won't get into the NCG and likely wouldn't make it into a BCS game unless it's a down year for a power conference. I'd like to see that reflected, I love playing as mid major schools, it just feels cheap that after one season you can jump into a BCS bowl because you drew an easy schedule and the game ranks strictly on base W-L and essentially nothing else. (Rarely see a 12-0 team under a 11-1 team, even if that 12-0 played D+ through C squads and the 11-1 played strictly B's through A+'s.)

I do like the deal breaker feature as it seems that will bring those biases to the forefront at least in the recruiting spectrum, but the BCS system being fine tuned was hopefully tweaked, I don't have much time to listen to hour long podcasts so if anyone has heard anything that would be great!

# 18 jello1717 @ 05/30/13 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagopax
From what I read, I took it as the skills are randomized based on a pool of points that each coach receives at the inception of each dynasty.
I'd guess that they'll start out random (but can be edited by roster editors) and will continue to be random as coaches progress. However, it'd be awesome if the coordinators (especially offensive since it'd be the easiest) had "personalities" and bought their upgrades accordingly. IE. Wisconsin's OC should build up all the rushing upgrades. WVU's OC should build up the passing ones. That should be easy since they are assigned a playbook as well as a pass/run slider. By simply using those 2 they could decide if the OC is a run-first, pass-first, or balanced guy. In addition to that all OCs/HCs are assigned a "no huddle" flag so those that are flagged as no huddle guys should buy the "up tempo" upgrade. ETC, ETC.

Given EA's track record, I'm sure that type of detail is too much to ask for, but it'd be awesome if it was in the game.

# 19 jfsolo @ 05/31/13 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I'd guess that they'll start out random (but can be edited by roster editors) and will continue to be random as coaches progress. However, it'd be awesome if the coordinators (especially offensive since it'd be the easiest) had "personalities" and bought their upgrades accordingly. IE. Wisconsin's OC should build up all the rushing upgrades. WVU's OC should build up the passing ones. That should be easy since they are assigned a playbook as well as a pass/run slider. By simply using those 2 they could decide if the OC is a run-first, pass-first, or balanced guy. In addition to that all OCs/HCs are assigned a "no huddle" flag so those that are flagged as no huddle guys should buy the "up tempo" upgrade. ETC, ETC.

Given EA's track record, I'm sure that type of detail is too much to ask for, but it'd be awesome if it was in the game.
Yes, this higher level analysis does seem to most often escape the notice of the Tiburon teams, or at least be too resource intense to get green-lighted for implementation.

# 20 phantomremix @ 05/31/13 01:52 AM
I am stoked for the game, it seems like they really focused on catching it up to where Madden is. I will say, on a game that is so focused on the coach growing through XP, I certainly hope that they include the ability to human coach vs human coach. As in allowing you to be the play caller, but not actually use the players when playing games. It is another aspect to the game and would help people who aren't as advanced have some fun calling plays and people who are more of the strategist really get into play calling, audibles, formation shifts and game management.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.