Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

Quote:
Recruiting is the lifeblood of any college football program, and the process has long been a part of the NCAA Football franchise. This year, recruiting takes a big leap forward with the new Power Recruiting system, a streamlined process that maintains the depth that fans have come to expect. It’s the fastest, easiest, most rewarding way ever to sign those coveted players.

Source - Power Recruiting Deep Dive (EA Sports)

NCAA Football 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view NCAA Football 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 DorianDonP @ 05/31/13 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
Thought that was really interesting. The whole system seems really well done, if it works as advertised.
It is interesting. Interested to see how that will work if you have a need for multiple receivers.

# 22 Timeetyo @ 05/31/13 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianDonP
It is interesting. Interested to see how that will work if you have a need for multiple receivers.
Honestly is shouldn't be a problem unless you fail to plan. With the current rosters size I normally am planning on signing 1-2 WR / year (I usually rotate years 1/2/1/2, but Sometimes 2/2/2 if I'm early in a rebuild and need to redshirt a lot). Even in years I plan on signing 2 I rarely get 4 to visits. Even at 4 - I need to plan ahead and spread them over 2 whole weeks.

I just don't see the problem.

# 23 Strategizer @ 05/31/13 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Scheduling a visit late shouldn't be 700 points more of a bonus than scheduling early. Kid I coached originally committed to Auburn which was one of his first visits because once he went there, he liked the school, felt comfortable around the coaches/players and decided he didn't want to visit some of the other schools he originally planned to. Each kid is different, sometimes being first is more of an advantage because you can convince a kid to commit before others get a hold of him. That's why I have a problem with the amount of importance and bonus they give for having a recruit come late. After reading the WVU article where the people from WVU told Ben having a late visit can leave a lasting appeal, they just said, "ok so late visits are better and will get a bigger bonus." So because 1 school said it was better than an early visit, they went with it.
And? What does that prove? It is possible to get a commit in the game before the later visits, and there are other ways to get big bonuses. The devs have specifically said that this is why scheduling later is a risk. And what if this Auburn kid took all those other visits? Maybe visiting them would have changed his mind. Your example actually validates the system in the game.

And to the other poster, there are no offseason visits, so this is obviously the compromise.

# 24 volwalker @ 05/31/13 10:26 PM
I can see so much strategy involved with all of these recruiting and coach skill additions. Regarding the competitive visits, coaches have to deal with this all the time. I have no problem with it. I think we will have an even better idea of what these coaches have to go through everyday recruiting-wise. I can't wait to dive in.

# 25 DorianDonP @ 05/31/13 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategizer
And to the other poster, there are no offseason visits, so this is obviously the compromise.
I would rather the compromise not diminish the realism of the regular season recruiting. And aren't there in-home visits in the off-season? Well, in past NCAAs. I guess they took in-home visits out to make room for the "updated" recruiting.

# 26 Bamanutt @ 05/31/13 11:51 PM
Quote:
He did go on other visits after Auburn it's just that Auburn is where he felt comfortable because of the coaches there. Irony here is after he chose to de-commit he visited FSU first, then Florida and finally LSU. He wanted to commit to Florida. The night before National Signing day he was in my office at work, my boss (who also coached with me) helped him with tuition in high school and has been helping his family so he's like a father figure and the 3 of us along with his father & grandfather sat in our conference room on a conference call with Les Miles. We all were trying to convince him to go to LSU while the kid (i'll leave his name out of it) was dead set on Florida. It was pretty cool to hear Les make his final pitch the night before signing day.

But 5 mins before he signed, the kid was still set on going to Florida and when it came time to actually sign, all of the stuff we had been telling him must have clicked because he ended up picking LSU.

But for him it didn't matter what visit he went on first or last. When that right school comes along where the kid feels comfortable, they get their heart set on that place. Whether it's the school, the stadium, the coaches or whatever, once they find that one place that fits, that's where they want to go. Once that right school makes an impression, that impression stays. The schools that come after have to surpass his current happiness with the school he's set on at the time.

In my experience coaching, all of the kids that i've coached that have gone on to play college football whether it was Theo Riddick going to Notre Dame or a kid going to play 1aa ball somewhere, the time at which they had their visit didn't have much impact. It was more where they felt comfortable, where they would have the best chance to succeed, and what those closest to them were putting in their ear.

That's why i'm saying having a recruit come in later in the year for a visit shouldn't be THAT much of a boost over if he visited earlier. A 700-800 point boost is a lot. That's all i'm saying, just seems like they're placing too more importance/reward on certain things.
All of this is valid, but how would one code in a game all the things you described? Heck I want as much realism as possible too but this new system is a start & as long as they continue to add & balance all of this while adding depth & some surprise, I think we will get the game we all want.

# 27 khaliib @ 06/01/13 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
They said that the recruit is only allowed 5 visits a season has that always been like that?
NCAA rule is 5 paid trips at the school expense over 5 weeks.
You can take as many as you want, just after 5, the sneaky stuff happens.
But what recruit wants to visit a school during the week?
It's about the weekend and all the stuff (parties etc...) that comes with that, which are major selling points to a school.

Basically 5 vacations (if you take all) to be courted and pampered like a star.

# 28 khaliib @ 06/01/13 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile04
like other post they give us something good and it gets nit picked. I like it, yes it could be more in-depth tho. The thing is its jsut if you bring them in on the same week tho. i look at what my huskies did last year when they sign 7 on the same day and for the most part it was one player at a position maybe 2 DL. in real life a guy thats a 5 star wouldnt be worried about visiting with a 2-3 star at the same position, but if 2 5star RB's came i could see the problem.
not true at all.
Most coach's don't play guys based off of their star rating (that's for media and fans, ie marketing)

When Spring Ball comes around, these guys are hit with a dose of reality.
The 1st thing being that your highschool hype don't mean squat.
(1st taste of live college contact always brings things into perspective, love, love, love the Oklahoma Drill!!!)

He's thinking about it, best believe that.

# 29 Exile04 @ 06/01/13 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
not true at all.
Most coach's don't play guys based off of their star rating (that's for media and fans, ie marketing)

When Spring Ball comes around, these guys are hit with a dose of reality.
The 1st thing being that your highschool hype don't mean squat.
(1st taste of live college contact always brings things into perspective, love, love, love the Oklahoma Drill!!!)

He's thinking about it, best believe that.
i understand the coaches dont look at that but the kid can. they see a guy that they are competing with, the coach puts the other with a senior that he wanted to hangout with thats bad. Or thinks hes getting treated different.

# 30 Strategizer @ 06/01/13 12:44 AM
Quote:
He did go on other visits after Auburn it's just that Auburn is where he felt comfortable because of the coaches there. Irony here is after he chose to de-commit he visited FSU first, then Florida and finally LSU. He wanted to commit to Florida. The night before National Signing day he was in my office at work, my boss (who also coached with me) helped him with tuition in high school and has been helping his family so he's like a father figure and the 3 of us along with his father & grandfather sat in our conference room on a conference call with Les Miles. We all were trying to convince him to go to LSU while the kid (i'll leave his name out of it) was dead set on Florida. It was pretty cool to hear Les make his final pitch the night before signing day.

But 5 mins before he signed, the kid was still set on going to Florida and when it came time to actually sign, all of the stuff we had been telling him must have clicked because he ended up picking LSU.

But for him it didn't matter what visit he went on first or last. When that right school comes along where the kid feels comfortable, they get their heart set on that place. Whether it's the school, the stadium, the coaches or whatever, once they find that one place that fits, that's where they want to go. Once that right school makes an impression, that impression stays. The schools that come after have to surpass his current happiness with the school he's set on at the time.

In my experience coaching, all of the kids that i've coached that have gone on to play college football whether it was Theo Riddick going to Notre Dame or a kid going to play 1aa ball somewhere, the time at which they had their visit didn't have much impact. It was more where they felt comfortable, where they would have the best chance to succeed, and what those closest to them were putting in their ear.

That's why i'm saying having a recruit come in later in the year for a visit shouldn't be THAT much of a boost over if he visited earlier. A 700-800 point boost is a lot. That's all i'm saying, just seems like they're placing too more importance/reward on certain things.
The big bonus doesn't guarantee a commit and doesn't even guarantee a better visit. Bonuses such as complimentary visits, good stats by the recruits position, rivalry and conference games, and the royal treatment skill could overcome that 700 bonus (which was just an example anyway). If you look at one of the screens in the blog, you will notice the first visit had 600 points, the second was 550 and the third was 600. We don't know all the details of those visits, but it seems more than possible to still have a very good early visit that can overcome or at least mitigate the advantages of the late ones.

# 31 DirtyJerz32 @ 06/01/13 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
Thought that was really interesting. The whole system seems really well done, if it works as advertised.
I love that too. Bring in a QB and WR should be a good thing and IRL it does. While bring in two QB's at the same time would be harmful. Love that element.

# 32 jello1717 @ 06/01/13 01:04 AM
My favorite part of the new recruiting is the deal breakers. If a kid is really interested in getting an education and I coach at a party school like ASU, the recruit shouldn't even take my phone calls and it's great to see that implemented in the game.

# 33 N.C.State @ 06/01/13 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
My favorite part of the new recruiting is the deal breakers. If a kid is really interested in getting an education and I coach at a party school like ASU, the recruit shouldn't even take my phone calls and it's great to see that implemented in the game.
Except the deal breaker needs to be a grade lower than C+. I don't think there are any programs with an education grade that low and if there are it is few and far between. I have a feeling that deal breakers will only pose a real problem for smaller programs.

# 34 Strategizer @ 06/01/13 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.C.State
Except the deal breaker needs to be a grade lower than C+. I don't think there are any programs with an education grade that low and if there are it is few and far between. I have a feeling that deal breakers will only pose a real problem for smaller programs.
Small correction, but I believe it is C+ or below. Also, things like playing time and proximity to home can be dealbreakers even with the major programs. That said, the dealbreakers should have a greater effect on the small programs, as their pool of available recruits who are interested should be more limited.

# 35 khaliib @ 06/01/13 01:10 PM
Keep in mind that unless they recode the saves, we will be able to edit these values through Hex editing to our liking.

Again, if things remain the same.

# 36 fcboiler87 @ 06/01/13 01:13 PM
I am concerned about how the "playing time" feature will work. I don't think the game has ever had it correct. How many times do you get a guy who transfers because of playing time when it is clear he will be the starter next year? Way too often.

I've had this problem in recruiting as well and it goes both ways. I'll have a position that I know I need and want, perhaps because of the way I run my system yet when I talk to the guy it shows my playing time pitch as C or D. But the reality is it should be an A or B because of my plans for the recruit. Then I've also had it where I'm stocked at a position and the playing time pitch says A. It has made zero sense all too often before. Is that actually going to be different now? I certainly hope so with the emphasis on it meaning something.

# 37 Strategizer @ 06/01/13 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcboiler87
I am concerned about how the "playing time" feature will work. I don't think the game has ever had it correct. How many times do you get a guy who transfers because of playing time when it is clear he will be the starter next year? Way too often.

I've had this problem in recruiting as well and it goes both ways. I'll have a position that I know I need and want, perhaps because of the way I run my system yet when I talk to the guy it shows my playing time pitch as C or D. But the reality is it should be an A or B because of my plans for the recruit. Then I've also had it where I'm stocked at a position and the playing time pitch says A. It has made zero sense all too often before. Is that actually going to be different now? I certainly hope so with the emphasis on it meaning something.
I believe that pitch is based on the ratings of the guys at that position on your depth chart (excluding seniors), and the ratings of other players at that position on your recruit board. So what were the ratings of these guys in your example compared to your depth chart and recruit board?

# 38 DorianDonP @ 06/01/13 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Keep in mind that unless they recode the saves, we will be able to edit these values through Hex editing to our liking.

Again, if things remain the same.
Excuse my ignorance but what is hex editing?

# 39 jeeve @ 06/01/13 01:59 PM
Two things I'd like to see, having not yet read the article:

1. Pre-season recruiting, streamlined. So many commits, especially among 4 and 5-star players, happen before the season even begins. It would be a way to get a lot of recruiting done (including getting bodies in "need" positions even if they aren't highly rated) in short time.

2. Quicker recruiting in general. I don't like having the CPU totally in charge of recruiting, but at the same time, it often takes forever to recruit, to the point where it gets boring for me and the others in my dynasty.

# 40 jello1717 @ 06/01/13 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategizer
I believe that pitch is based on the ratings of the guys at that position on your depth chart (excluding seniors), and the ratings of other players at that position on your recruit board. So what were the ratings of these guys in your example compared to your depth chart and recruit board?
This.

It's also combined requirements based on your playbook. IE. these are the 4-3, multiple, and 3-4 requirements.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.