Home
NHL 14 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Quote:
NHL 14 Enforcer Engine Gameplay Trailer. Delivered in an action-packed 3rd-person presentation and powered by Fight Night Technology, the all-new Enforcer Engine offers the most authentic and exhilarating hockey fighting experience ever. NHL 14 will release September 10, 2013 in North America and by September 13 worldwide.

EA Sports has also posted their NHL 14 Developer Diary focusing on the Enforcer Engine, going over the all-new third person presentation, user-controlled post-fight celebrations, real-fight damage and more.

Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 soxnut1018 @ 06/05/13 09:40 AM
Looks much better.

I just hope it's not too much a part of the game. Hopefully it's tuned so it's only the "right" guys fighting for the most part and the momentum boost afterwards isn't too overpowered.

# 2 hossafan91 @ 06/05/13 10:22 AM
1:45ish. was that a goalie fight?

# 3 Ghoste @ 06/05/13 10:46 AM
This looks pretty cool. Way better than that first-person junk.

# 4 Cycloniac @ 06/05/13 10:50 AM
Looks good.

Hopefully this means fights can start in the middle of play as well and not just after the whistle. E.g. If someone like Rafi Torress lays out Crosby, I wanna see Morrow getting in Rafi's face right then and there.

# 5 Storm12 @ 06/05/13 10:56 AM
I hope that they don't fight all the time, I hope some scrums happen. Sure fights don't happen all the time, but scrums happen and are easily broken up by the players/ref's. Basically I just hope that every "dirty" hit doesn't lead to a fight.

# 6 Cletus @ 06/05/13 11:04 AM
Lol oh boy, EASHL games are gonna last 2 hours (if the other team doesn't quit after the first penalty) if every late/dirty hit leads to a fight. I don't get it because most guys that are enforcers play maybe 40 games a year.

# 7 Steve_OS @ 06/05/13 11:07 AM
Updated OP with Dev. Diary post on the Enforcer Engine.

# 8 Storm12 @ 06/05/13 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
I don't get it because most guys that are enforcers play maybe 40 games a year.
I would think it's just not the typical goon that will always fight... I'm pretty sure that power forwards/two way forwards/ defensive d-men, etc will fight. They probably choose who will fight by how much they fight (the fighter thing that says if they fight never, rarely, sometimes, often). There also doesn't need to always be fights, just more scrums than actual fights.

# 9 Cletus @ 06/05/13 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm12
I would think it's just not the typical goon that will always fight... I'm pretty sure that power forwards/two way forwards/ defensive d-men, etc will fight. They probably choose who will fight by how much they fight (the fighter thing that says if they fight never, rarely, sometimes, often). There also doesn't need to always be fights, just more scrums than actual fights.
I know, but in the NHL today there aren't any 300 PIM guys anymore. I don't know many heavyweight fighters, I know of a lot of pests, but shoving doesn't seem to happen in the video. It just seems like a guy runs up and boom fight animation. I'm just really skeptical because it seems like the team doesn't know how to program their own game. I believe they have the best of intentions but somewhere it gets screwed up.

# 10 Mongo14 @ 06/05/13 11:42 AM
I believed the realism of the Enforcer Engine until and after 0:35. Seeing Matt Cooke drop the gloves. No way!

# 11 Storm12 @ 06/05/13 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus
I know, but in the NHL today there aren't any 300 PIM guys anymore. I don't know many heavyweight fighters, I know of a lot of pests, but shoving doesn't seem to happen in the video. It just seems like a guy runs up and boom fight animation. I'm just really skeptical because it seems like the team doesn't know how to program their own game. I believe they have the best of intentions but somewhere it gets screwed up.
I have the same concern as well, it does seem like one hit can start a fight. Hopefully they don't happen like that all the time though, I've been to games where some really questionable hits have happened and no fights occurred. It needs to be a mix of scrums and the occasional fight, not just brawl fest.

# 12 TracerBullet @ 06/05/13 12:11 PM
My Canadiens were getting dropped just like in real life. *sigh*

# 13 soxnut1018 @ 06/05/13 12:40 PM
Quote:
Fights are intense. Winning one is electrifying. You can now celebrate the thrill of winning a fight by engaging the crowd or taunting your opponent using user-controlled celebrations.
This worries me.

# 14 gopher_guy @ 06/05/13 02:38 PM
Fighting is definitely not what they should be focusing on, IMO.

HOWEVER, that said: it looks awesome. The players in that video seem to behave very realistically, and finally other players actually stay on the ice and react to what's happening. I like that fights can (seemingly) happen organically based on something that happens on the ice. Instead of the super lame "Oh, I think I'll start a fight now."

Hopefully they can add a bit of depth to the game with this for us offline players. It would be cool if they could implement this engine in the GM mode, to have players "remember" things that happen in the season.

For example, if I injure a CPU team's player on a check from behind, I'd love it if that team's enforcer would remember that and pick a fight with me the next time we play them. It would just reduce that feeling that playing a season in BeAGM is not just 82 completely separate and isolated games in a row.

# 15 canucksss @ 06/05/13 03:02 PM
I agree with gopher guy...this new feature is great. Finally after several years EA was able to correct the missing players, both on ice and in bench, during the scrum.

BUT I want to see more improvements namely: PRESENTATION and GAMEPLAY.

If this is the only significant change in 14, still not buying. My worry is that even in OFFLINE BaGM, I might see multiple fights per game.

# 16 jsquigg @ 06/05/13 03:38 PM
While fighting is improved, it isn't as big a part of hockey as it ever was before. A clean hit in the middle of the ice is way more likely to lead to a scrum. This shouldn't be a back of the box feature, it should have been a subtle improvement. I have no doubt it will be a random, game to game thing that happens too often and in situations where it wouldn't happen in real life. I will gladly be proven wrong.
This is just another reason why I enjoy 09 the best. It isn't more realistic if the realistic elements added aren't implemented right. 90 times out of 100 it's a scrum that happens, not a one on one fight like it used to.

# 17 BigD @ 06/05/13 03:42 PM
I need this. NOW!

# 18 GlennN @ 06/05/13 03:46 PM
Looks good! The fighting engine was definitely due for an overhaul.

# 19 giantsharks @ 06/05/13 04:13 PM
This looks great, but like most of you i hope its not over done. Hopefully there will be some post whistle scrums that dont lead to fights for presentation sake. I wonder and hope if its a planned fight, like were two guys agree to go, if they take their helmets off and on more spontaneous fights they leave them on? All in all it looks pretty awesome, we will see how its executed.

# 20 Dispatch @ 06/05/13 04:33 PM
This looks great in my opinion. The fighting engine thats in there now is atrocious. Now with this new fighting engine I'll be more inclined to put some points into my fighting in the EASHL mode.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.