Home
Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition News Post

The Lions Will Roar - Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition Out June 13th

Launch trailer unleashes the power and spectacle of international rugby

Home Entertainment Suppliers Pty Ltd (HES) and Alternative Software are pleased to announce that Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition for PlayStation®3, Microsoft Xbox 360® and PC will release on Thursday 13th June worldwide.

Developed by New Zealand based games developer Sidhe, the sequel to Jonah Lomu’s Rugby Challenge is the only videogame licensed by the British and Irish Lions 2013 Tour of Australia.

With more licenses than any other rugby game In history, from players through to teams and tournaments, Rugby Challenge 2: the Lions tour Edition offers more content, more authenticity and gets closer to the action than ever before with new features, including:
  • Refined and expanded gameplay with the addition of quick taps, quick lineouts, mauls from lineouts, interceptions, contesting ball at the breakdown, removing players from the ruck, number 8 scrum pickups, and dynamic in game team strategies on both attack and defence
  • 110+ teams and 50+ stadia from around the world are featured including official team, competitions, and special match licenses for the British and Irish Lions 2013 Tour of Australia, Aviva Premiership Rugby, RaboDirect PRO12, TOP 14 , Pro D2, Super Rugby teams, the All Blacks, the Qantas Wallabies, the USA Eagles, Bledisloe Cup, Barbarians FC, Combined Country, ITM Cup, and Ranfurly Shield
  • More options to create or customise players, teams, and competitions, and change game rules and behaviour to shape the game to play how you want and keep the game fresh year after year
  • Revamped sound and commentary systems, with real-time commentary from seasoned rugby commentators Grant Nisbett and former All Black turned commentator Justin Marshall, and French language commentary from Eric Bayle and Thomas Lombard
“The Lions Tour has begun with a bang with a 59-8 mauling of the Barbarians, and we’re excited to be able to bring Rugby Challenge: The Lions Tour Edition to consumers on June 13th,” said Roger Hulley, Managing Director, Alternative Software. “This is our finest videogame to date and we’re very excited to be launching the stand-out rugby game of a generation”.

Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition will release worldwide for PS3, 360, with PC to follow later in 2013. More information and ongoing updates about the game can be found at the official website www****gbychallengegame.com and at www.alternativesoftware.com

Check out some Rugby Challenge 2 gameplay videos below, courtesy of VG24/7.

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour EditionReader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 0 - View All
Rugby Challenge 2: The Lions Tour Edition Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Milla @ 06/20/13 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
@Milla, Sidhe ofc has every right to make the game as they wish. It's pure business after all. But this quote seems a little bit harsh to me:
"There are people who want a sim. They won't get one from us. We never set out to make one, and don't plan to do so".
Never? RC2 may sell well and Sidhe may find the funds to improve the game and make it more sim-friendly. I feel that your reaction was a punch in the stomach for all those that provide feedback and for 2 years buy the game to support Sidhe.
Of course we appreciate feedback. We run our own community forum, where I spend hours and hours every week reading criticism and complaint. We'd shut it down if we didn't seek feedback, and value it.

I do apologise if my post felt harsh. We have a 'no bull' policy here at Sidhe. We avoid raising unrealistic expectations and never lie. The truth is that we will not make a rugby sim, and I'm not sure how to put in in any way that you might not consider harsh. It doesn't make good business sense, and we avoid making bad business decisions where we can.

We are at a major cross-roads right now, and we're not even sure if we will make any more console games. We've been working toward being masters of our own destiny for years, and work-for-hire console titles don't entirely work with that goal.

If you'd like to know more my boss, Mario, explains it pretty well in a few of his most recent interviews:

http://nzgamer.com/ps3/features/1187...ng-nation.html
http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2...osoft-and.html

And at the end of this one about Rugby Challenge2:

http://nzgamer.com/ps3/features/1189...a.html/page-3/

Nothing is set in concrete, where rugby and console games are concerned, but we won't be making a sim, which would have a fraction of the market that the more arcadey title has, and this isn't really viable.

# 42 stizz @ 06/21/13 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milla
Nothing is set in concrete, where rugby and console games are concerned, but we won't be making a sim, which would have a fraction of the market that the more arcadey title has, and this isn't really viable.
Milla, was this found from conducting a survey or personal opinions?

Everyone I've spoken to, sports and non-sports gamers, all had the same opinion that RC was too arcady and would've preferred a more realistic game.

# 43 bad_philanthropy @ 06/22/13 09:38 PM
I'm getting the hang of rucking. It's a bit unbalanced regarding the rate of turnovers still, but I can understand that seeing how most user matches aren't 80 minutes long, and balance is needed for gameplay purposes.

I'm enjoying the game overall, but I still think it could benefit from some light sim design choices. I do hope we get a patch to fix some things, and maybe tune the game up a bit. Other than that it will fill the rugby itch much better than RC1.

# 44 Milla @ 06/23/13 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stizz
Milla, was this found from conducting a survey or personal opinions?

Everyone I've spoken to, sports and non-sports gamers, all had the same opinion that RC was too arcady and would've preferred a more realistic game.
This is the experience of years of making rugby and rugby league games, and dealing with the end users. Those who use sports and gaming forums are in fact in the minority of our customers for these titles. Most of our users are much more casual than those we interact with in forums like this and our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I'm getting the hang of rucking. It's a bit unbalanced regarding the rate of turnovers still, but I can understand that seeing how most user matches aren't 80 minutes long, and balance is needed for gameplay purposes.

I'm enjoying the game overall, but I still think it could benefit from some light sim design choices. I do hope we get a patch to fix some things, and maybe tune the game up a bit. Other than that it will fill the rugby itch much better than RC1.
If it feels unbalanced have a play with the game-play sliders.

# 45 stizz @ 06/23/13 08:21 PM
Quote:
This is the experience of years of making rugby and rugby league games, and dealing with the end users. Those who use sports and gaming forums are in fact in the minority of our customers for these titles. Most of our users are much more casual than those we interact with in forums like this and our own.

Have any of your previous games, been targeted at a sim audience?

If not, how would you know you wouldn't get the same responses if the games were designed to be sim?

# 46 bad_philanthropy @ 06/23/13 10:13 PM
Quote:
Do you have a suggestion of how to reduce the frequency of the AI turning the ball over in rucks?

# 47 strawberryshortcake @ 06/24/13 02:26 AM
Quote:
... snippet ...
This actually makes my decision not to buy Rugby Challenge 2 much easier. I was going to support the team, but if arcade gameplay is the focus, then ... I wish you guys luck.

# 48 Luke466 @ 06/24/13 12:47 PM
Ooooh - doesn't seem to have the game speed slider? Blast. Unless I've read this forum wrong.
All the vids seem a bit quick / arcade style

# 49 MJHSpanda57 @ 06/25/13 11:46 PM
So would buying RC2 be worth $60? I had RC1 and enjoyed it a pretty good bit but only paid around $20 for it.

# 50 Milla @ 07/01/13 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
Do you have a suggestion of how to reduce the frequency of the AI turning the ball over in rucks?
There are a few things you can try. The first is to contest the ruck. You can do this up until the point where the referee says 'leave it'. This is often how the AI steals it off you. Another is to try removing players from the ruck and then send them back in, or just keep them out to try and take the ball in defence. Also, be strategic with your binds. The lead on the game, Tyrone, made a Tyrone's Tips video for the first game, which covers off how the two bind types work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL0EJkoMHW8

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
This actually makes my decision not to buy Rugby Challenge 2 much easier. I was going to support the team, but if arcade gameplay is the focus, then ... I wish you guys luck.
Thanks

# 51 Milla @ 07/03/13 07:24 PM
Pro tip: If you want to play with Team Lomu create a new player called Mike Flatt, and the game will unlock it.

# 52 tinpanalley @ 07/25/13 03:36 PM
I've never played a rugby video game in my life having grown up in Canada but since moving to Europe last fall I've gotten really into learning more. What I'd like to know, seeing as how Rugby Challenge and RC2 are clearly the two best (only?) games whether there's a really good mod with squads for RC1 or if RC2 is better even without the ability to modify the game as was recently stated.
Opinions on this? Thanks!!

# 53 thegut @ 07/25/13 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
I've never played a rugby video game in my life having grown up in Canada but since moving to Europe last fall I've gotten really into learning more. What I'd like to know, seeing as how Rugby Challenge and RC2 are clearly the two best (only?) games whether there's a really good mod with squads for RC1 or if RC2 is better even without the ability to modify the game as was recently stated.
If you are into Rugby League at all then I would suggest Rugby League Live 2 which IMO is a far superior game and sim of the sport. If you are only interested in Rugby Union then unfortunatly you are correct in that RC1 and 2 are pretty much it. I know RC 1 has some pretty decent mods for it on the PC but I'm not sure about RC2....since I already stopped playing it.

# 54 Milla @ 07/31/13 10:16 PM
Quote:
There are a number available for all three platforms. You can find them via our community forums at http://forums.sidhe.co.nz.

# 55 MattyEdgeworth @ 08/06/13 03:54 PM
Quote:
If you want to learn about rugby, don't buy either game. Just watch it.

If you want to just play something resembling rugby then by all means buy it, I've been told it 'scratches that itch'(I think someone on here said that) and I think that was the case for the last one. But I won't be spending the money again.

# 56 Milla @ 08/14/13 09:38 PM
For those with Rugby Challenge 2 for PC, there is an update out via Steam. This adds a slider for turnover, fixes a leaderboard problem, and gets rid of a run-out bug.

# 57 Krebstar @ 03/04/15 12:11 PM
Crazy bump here, but hoping to get an answer.

Just picked this up, and am trying to figure out how the game determines qualification into the Heineken Cup in career mode.

I simmed a season in the Pro12, and the next year 11 of the 12 teams were in the Heineken Cup.

Does anyone know what placings from what leagues will determine this from year to year?

- - - - -

So after digging on the Sidhe forums, it seems that the only teams that are in the competition year to year are those who start in it the first year. That sucks, but at least I know if I want to play in it then I'll have to use one of those teams.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.