Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

NBA Live 14 is being met with careful skepticism from all who approach it. Gamers and critics alike are looking upon EA's upcoming NBA title with increased caution after several years of what amount to broken promises and unmet expectations.

GamesIndustry recently sat down with with members of the NBA Live 14 team to discuss the upcoming game, which is coming to next-gen consoles exclusively.

Comparing NBA Live to the Cleveland Cavaliers, Executive Producer Sean O'Brien said, "You can look down the road in a couple years and say, 'I could see them as a team that's going to be in contention."

O'Brien worked on EA's NBA Live and March Madness franchises for a decade before he left EA after NBA Live 10. EA Sports President Andrew Wilson approached O'Brien about rejoining the team, O'Brien said he did so only because there appeared to be a serious commitment to making a great basketball game again.

The focus for the NBA Live series going forward will be to establish a foothold on the new generation of consoles using the Ignite Engine rather than try to compete on over-the-hill last gen hardware where the NBA 2K series has obviously won.

You can read the full article on GamesIndustry.biz. We are expecting to hear more about NBA Live 14 next week at E3.

What do you think about the decision to bring O'Brien back to the NBA Live series? Do you have any faith a good product will be delivered at launch on the Xbox One and PS4?

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 SageInfinite @ 06/06/13 01:22 PM
Sounds interesting, but also like they know they won't have a really strong game with NBA Live 14. I appreciate and respect the honesty here and I'm looking forward to what Tiburon has. As much as I love the NBA 2k series, it'll be nice to have another NBA game to play.

# 2 Bionickle @ 06/06/13 01:56 PM
I other words, the game will still suck ***!! But that's to be expected after a relatively long hiatus, I just think this will benefit us as gamers cause it'll make 2K look over its shoulder to see how close EA gets.

# 3 huntt26 @ 06/06/13 02:01 PM
Competition will be a good thing, but I can't see Live 14 being good at all.

# 4 22cedric @ 06/06/13 02:03 PM
Great article it seems like the NBA Live team is committed to making a great NBA sim game that fans will enjoy.

# 5 Steve_OS @ 06/06/13 02:04 PM
I'm hoping it will be playable at E3.

# 6 JazzMan @ 06/06/13 02:07 PM
Player models look like they were yanked right out of Borderlands.

They have their work cut out for them, that's for sure.

# 7 TalenT @ 06/06/13 02:19 PM
I agree that competition always brings out the best in companies but on another note...Why can't they get player models right??? The poly count is obviously higher but you can't tell me that they put up a side by side of a virtual player and an actual photo and said "Got it! Spot on!".

# 8 SouthBeach @ 06/06/13 02:31 PM
If what they showed during the XBox One reveal was any indication of what to expect, I will still be playing 2K for years to come.

My biggest thing is at least get the player models correct.

If you've been trying to make lasagna for 3 years and your finished product is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every time, try using different ingredients...or different chefs.

I hope, for the good of next gen in basketball, they make a solid game.

# 9 khaliib @ 06/06/13 02:39 PM
So they are banking on folks running out and buying these new consoles in this financial climate.
"Uhmm......."

So after a horrible exit on these consoles, there will be "NO" Demo for most of the gaming community to see/play their game.

EA has the whole history of this Gen Console of barely being sub-par with the standard setters and from the few media info releases of Live 14, whether early builds or whatever, it still looks like an con't effort to milk the gaming community with little baby step improvements.

I have not seen any "WOW" factor concerning this game at all.
It's almost like they've ported over 2010 because everything looks the same.
Player Models and cartoonish skin look exactly the same as on the current consoles.

At least blow peoples minds away with the Visuals!!!

Oh well, it's not like I'm running out to buy one of these new consoles just to get my hands on an EA Sports game.

# 10 TracerBullet @ 06/06/13 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
So they are banking on folks running out and buying these new consoles in this financial climate.
"Uhmm......."
You underestimate people.

# 11 bigeastbumrush @ 06/06/13 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
I'm hoping it will be playable at E3.
Highly doubt it. Way too risky. At most, you maybe get the old Brandon Jennings (right-handed) dribbling around on a court by himself.

Quote:
"If I look at our path, we had a lot of disruption," O'Brien said. "The game moved from Vancouver to Orlando after limited success and some failure. We retooled our management team and our roster. And we're going to see some success this year. But in a couple years? Look out. We're going to be in a position where I think we'll be redefining this category."
^^aka, Mike Wang left the game and took his ball with him.

# 12 bobbybigdrum @ 06/06/13 03:42 PM
cannot get over how terrible these graphics look!

# 13 Gramps91 @ 06/06/13 03:43 PM
pisses me off a bit to be honest. Not everyone is made of money and can afford a brand new next gen system. I'm a huge NBA nut and, although I don't expect much from this game, it may be a while before I can afford a PS4.

# 14 chello97217 @ 06/06/13 03:54 PM
They are taking the right path IMHO. At least we know their game is being built for the next gen unlike 2k which I'm sure will still be the better game will just be a quick port over to the next gen consoles with nothing new and current gen graphics.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2k take a year off in the sense of just putting out a game with small tweaks and nothing new. Not as bad as MLB 2k13 but not the jump you'd expect to see on a new console.

On a side note for those saying they aren't made of money. Sell your current gen systems now. Cut back on your habits maybe you smoke or drink or get fast food for lunch at work. The average person who's not on public assistance can save 50-100 bucks a month by doing some simple budget cutting. You'd be surprised what kinda money you can save if you sit down and look at the stupid stuff you spend your money on.

# 15 Gramps91 @ 06/06/13 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chello97217
They are taking the right path IMHO. At least we know their game is being built for the next gen unlike 2k which I'm sure will still be the better game will just be a quick port over to the next gen consoles with nothing new and current gen graphics.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2k take a year off in the sense of just putting out a game with small tweaks and nothing new. Not as bad as MLB 2k13 but not the jump you'd expect to see on a new console.

On a side note for those saying they aren't made of money. Sell your current gen systems now. Cut back on your habits maybe you smoke or drink or get fast food for lunch at work. The average person who's not on public assistance can save 50-100 bucks a month by doing some simple budget cutting. You'd be surprised what kinda money you can save if you sit down and look at the stupid stuff you spend your money on.
How about a college kid with no current employment. I don't drink or smoke at all and eat out very little. There are also many games already out there for PS3 that I'd like to have that are either already out or coming out and there are many games on my PS3 I hold close and don't plan on selling that system at all as the PS4 won't be backwards compatible. It's much harder than you realize.

# 16 chello97217 @ 06/06/13 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
How about a college kid with no current employment. I don't drink or smoke at all and eat out very little. There are also many games already out there for PS3 that I'd like to have that are either already out or coming out and there are many games on my PS3 I hold close and don't plan on selling that system at all as the PS4 won't be backwards compatible. It's much harder than you realize.
That's the choice you gotta make man. You can either keep your current system and games and buy games for it or you can dump it like myself so you can get one of the systems. I love my 360 but you know I want one of the next gens so I have to give in and let it go. At least with 360 I know I can get a new one later on for like 100 bucks.

# 17 Gramps91 @ 06/06/13 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chello97217
That's the choice you gotta make man. You can either keep your current system and games and buy games for it or you can dump it like myself so you can get one of the systems. I love my 360 but you know I want one of the next gens so I have to give in and let it go. At least with 360 I know I can get a new one later on for like 100 bucks.
Well, I hold my PS3 close and with all the data I have on it and the many games I have and plan to get I can't bring myself to sell that. That being said I have been saving what I've been able to for a few months now and I also had a bit before that. However, my plan was to get a 3ds soon (I've already purchased a game for it I got a good deal on) and then a PS4 sometime next year and then a Wii U after that. However, if upcoming releases in the near future are all going to next gen it puts a damper on those plans. I'm a big Nintendo guy but my sports gaming comes first. I'm going to have to save all I can and buy a PS4 first that will pretty much break me and I don't know when I'd be able to get a Wii U or 3ds after that. Plus it looks like a Smash Bros. game may be announced at E3 which makes the Wii U a must have for me. At this point I can only really afford one or maybe two but not all three. It's going to be a while for me before I'm completely next gen.

# 18 TreyIM2 @ 06/06/13 04:53 PM
In a sense, a next gen only game will be costly because there are usually a 'minor amount' of early adopters, and even smaller amount of sports gamers in that group, but I intend to be one of em. Heh. However, if they make this game good enough to entice the later adopters who are sports gamers, they'll be alright. I'm sure they have reasonable numbers for projected sales.

All that said, I'm still eager to see what they pull of with Live 14 and I look at it as the first step toward getting the EA vs 2K rivalry rejuvenated! Lol

# 19 k2thaz @ 06/06/13 06:09 PM
Kevin Love in that shot looks like a Middle Schooler baller

# 20 wallofhate @ 06/06/13 07:40 PM
I love nba 2k but I want and hope live makes a significant return. Better games are usually made when competition is involved. That being said the look of the cg trailer and the stiff movements make me shake my head a little. It almost looks like an anime version of a nba video game.hopefully it's not a real representation of the final product. I'd be a little shocked if it's playable at e3 but I definitely think it'll be demoed.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.