Home
News Post

More news continues to leak about the XBox One and its stance towards classic gaming hallmarks, and the latest news isn't good. It appears Microsoft's new console will not support game rentals and whether used games will be allowed or not will depend on individual publishers. Publishers can lock out the used games market if they so desire.

Users will be allowed to transfer game licenses once to a friend, so long as you have been friends with said friend for more than 30 days on Xbox Live. Microsoft is looking at the possibility of loaned or rented game licenses, but those features won't be available at launch, and perhaps never.

Furthermore, XBox One users will be able to give up to 10 other family members access to their shared library, which presumably will mean people playing on the same console unless Microsoft wants a game-sharing mess on their hands. All titles will be available both digitally as well as on disc. Digitally downloaded titles will be attached to specific users and not consoles, meaning you could realistically download Halo at a friends house and play it via your username.

Of course, all items are subject to change in the future says Microsoft. You can read more about the Xbox One's policies on Polygon. Coincidentally enough, it appears EA's removal of Online Passes was nothing more than a publicity stunt after all.

What do you think? Are you worried about the Microsoft DRM push?

Member Comments
# 41 ubernoob @ 06/08/13 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisphil1724
See that's where you aren't 100% right. Sony, as a publishers not force any restrictions. They does not mean Sony, the hardware maker, will not have a system for DRM on the PS4.

Let's look at what we do know. Sony has said the PS4 will not be always online and will not have an online DRM and games from Sony will not force any restrictions. So end of story, no DRM, we get used games and all is right with the world. Well as Lee Corso would say, not so fast my friend!

As we learned about early this year, Sony United States Patent Application US20130007892, Sony's technology would check a game disc's RFID tag, which is capable of remembering if that game had been linked to a different machine or account. This check is performed offline and before the game is played. So once a game is placed in a PS4, it is locked to that system and cannot be used in a different PS4.

Yes, Microsoft and Xbox One is taking a lot of heat for its online DRM. Microsoft may have done this as a cash grab but it does seem like, more and more, this DRM push is coming from the publishers and not Microsoft. Again, I'd wait for all the info to come. It may not be Microsoft or Sony forcing this.....
You do know that there are tons of patents everywhere that aren't in use at all right?

I agree that we need to wait before we say Sony is doing the right thing, but having a patent filled means absolutely nothing in the big picture for all intents and purposes.

# 42 mwjtitans @ 06/08/13 12:44 PM
After seeing the Xbox One revealed, I decided to go ahead and jump ship. Traded my xbox 360 for a PS3, and for the last few weeks, I've been pleased. I didnt mind paying for live, but now that I pay for plus, it gives me free games every month, and even if I cancel, I can still play online for free, which is saving me some money right now. Microsoft has been in decline for the last few years, I loved the 360, but im not getting the Xbox One for at least 4-5 years from now after they worked out all the kinks and problems. Just my 2 cents

# 43 SteelersFan09 @ 06/08/13 02:46 PM
My decision is all but made on the next generation of consoles. I'm going with Sony. Haven't bought a Sony console in well over 10 years but Microsoft is throwing gamers under the bus.

# 44 BlackRome @ 06/08/13 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Throne2K11
Exactly, who the hell still rents games anymore? None of this will change my mind about buying an Xbox One.
Thanks for letting us know you two guys are on an island playing circle Jerk.

And anyone else who agrees with them.

The ignorance is stunning. Their is a large market of people that rent games. Ever heard of Gamefly.

I don't rent games but I understand the market.

What's stunning is that Microsoft doesn't understand their own business model.

They still make money off of used games. They make money from the advertisements and things that are sold with used and rented games. When a company sells a map or new content MS still gets a piece of that.

So they are cutting off their nose to spite their faces. This is a about a mega corporation committing suicide because they can't profit the way they want to off of used and rented games.

Good luck MS. It only takes one mistake to kill a system and as long as PS doesn't follow this business model the new Xbox will die a quick death.

Way to put the gun to your head and pull the trigger.

# 45 dasfette @ 06/08/13 06:07 PM
I don't really rent or buy used games. However, I WILL NOT buy an XBOX ONE. I don't care if it directly affects me or not. I will not pay money for something so that ANY company can be that over restrictive. Would you buy a car that doesn't let you go over 70mph because that's the speed limit? I'll find better things to do with my money.

# 46 TIm @ 06/08/13 06:38 PM
Well I responded to the orig title.. I will be switching to Ps4.... However, Now it's not even a question in my mind.. After I hear Microsoft is paying developers not to show Ps4 Content is pretty freaking greedy.. I tell you the videogames are going to heck in a handbasket.. Very depressing.. Company Young guns have such big egos it's not even funny...

2. People rent games all the time... If you don't good for you but if your a gamer then gamefly is a good deal...

# 47 Jay Jay @ 06/08/13 10:49 PM
Its a reason why the big dogs of the game industry is still around and for people to complain about whats happening is crazy because you all is missing the big picture. The powerful these systems get the more money it take to create games and the truth is these companys dont have room for another business to make money off their product and its happening with everything from music to tennis shoes. I have never seen so many companys go out of business like this generation and the whole drm thing is to save the industry.

# 48 13whitebread @ 06/08/13 11:44 PM
As sure as God made little green apples if Microsoft will play hardball against gamers I will finally be finished with video games there is much to much other things to do. I can play the 360 for many more years mostly because I play exclusively offline.

# 49 Brandwin @ 06/09/13 01:58 PM
I hate this. I have been renting games from Red Box and Gamefly for a little while now, games I normally wouldn't pay full price for or want to check out before I buy and now I will be a bit more selective. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony doesn't have something like this for the PS4, but if they don't it will be a bigger blow to MS.

# 50 TarHeelPhenom @ 06/09/13 08:16 PM
My XBox reign is effectively coming to an end with XBox 360. I'm either going back to my roots with PS4 or I'm sticking with this gen...or retirement. The moves that Microsoft are making are just a microcosm of what's going on in the world period.

# 51 inojoking @ 06/10/13 07:02 AM
I think this will back fire forcing customers not to buy games at launch and wait on specials or markdowns on popular titles.

# 52 sbunce5 @ 06/10/13 11:05 AM
I'm PS4 all the way but will Sony really keep used/rental gaming the way it is? If the game publishers have any sort of say in what's going on with Microsoft, why would they not do the same thing with Sony?

# 53 ubernoob @ 06/10/13 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbunce5
I'm PS4 all the way but will Sony really keep used/rental gaming the way it is? If the game publishers have any sort of say in what's going on with Microsoft, why would they not do the same thing with Sony?
We have no idea.

Gonna have to wait a while for Sony to officially say anything. Don't expect much better though.

# 54 Raven Nation42 @ 06/10/13 11:21 PM
Just finish watching the Ps4 Presentation on the following link
http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/live.html The device will be priced @$399 and will allow you to play used games.

# 55 Raven Nation42 @ 06/10/13 11:24 PM
Amazon has also the device up on Amazon taking pre orders as well. Here's a pic of the actual device. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31R8s%2B-BgxL._SX385_.jpg

# 56 11thomson @ 06/12/13 10:49 AM
hello everyone............

# 57 tenaji414 @ 04/30/21 04:50 AM
Publishers will be the ones who decide whether or not to allow Xbox One games to be resold or traded though there will be no "platform fees," Microsoft announced today. The company also said the console will not support game rentals, but that it is "exploring the possibilities."

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.