Home
NHL 14 News Post

Ben Ross, Gameplay Producer of NHL 14 has posted details on goalie improvements in the game. In the article, he details goalie intelligence, animations and movement, fighting through screens, against one-timers, rebounds and more.

Intelligence
  • Goalies intelligence was improved to increase their ability to read the play and determine if the player is likely to deke, pass or shoot based on the scoring situation.
  • Goalies will stay out and challenge on shots rather than pulling the puck back in with them (also fixes the issue where goalies would pull slower shots in with them as they moved backwards when saving.)
  • Goalies will stay in a save/position if they are aware they are going to be hit by the puck that is on its way. The goalie will no longer blend to another save if not necessary which was sometimes a disadvantage.
  • Goalies show more urgency in getting back to cover open parts of the net, part of heightened awareness.
  • Goalies react more realistically to deflections based upon whether they can see the initial shot cleanly or if they need to square up and make a save with one of their limbs.
  • Goalies will react more realistically to shot fakes, opening up areas of the net and creating more goal-scoring possibilities if the move is used correctly.

Animations & Movement
  • Fixed saves where it appeared that the goalie was able to move back up against their momentum/gravity when making a save (again, no more “Spider-Man” Goalies).
  • Improved butterfly save space – goalie won’t be locked in butterfly on dekes and will be more conscious of moves to the forehand and consider them more dangerous.
  • Added more saves out of Vertical-Horizontal and Butterfly styles so that the goalie can stay in those poses and react to pucks that are going to hit them (makes staying big and cutting off an angle more effective).
Fighting Through Screens
  • Goalies’ field of vision and puck awareness were corrected to be more realistic. If a puck is out of sight, the goaltender will work harder to fight through screens.
Against One-Timers
  • Goalies won’t give up the short side if they have defensive help and are more likely to cheat to the short side if the attacking player is on their forehand. True to real-life.
  • Goalies will anticipate a pass on a two-on-one if the puck carrier is on their backhand or doesn’t put themselves in a good shooting position (winding back, gliding, sells shot).
  • The closer the shooter is to the net, goalies will try to take away more of the bottom of the net. The further out shooters are, the more they try to get a limb half way up the net to be able to move up/down since the shooter now has a better chance to get height on the shot. The negative to this is exposing more holes and not creating as good of a solid wall like they can when the shooter is close.
  • The more a goalie has to move and the less he can see the puck both have effects on his ability to make a direct save compared to when they are squared up for a shot and reading the release right off the stick. In these cases, the goalie will try to slide across and take away the shooters best chance and then react to the puck once they can see it.

Rebounds
  • AI & animation improvements were made to allow goalies to better handle rebounds and second-chance opportunities off the rush. Goalies can now recover more quickly to handle a bad rebound, especially if they lose the puck within their body/equipment.
  • Goalies will recognize low shots better and attempt to kick the rebound to the corner more often.

Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 mike24forever @ 07/06/13 11:21 AM
Love the fundamentals being implemented for goalies. I like the "screen pass" and it's affect on goalies vision of the puck. This should generate more puck cycling. Too bad it's not coming this year to next gen.

# 2 bwiggy33 @ 07/06/13 01:28 PM
Until they get rid of the warping across the crease the goalies will not be considered improved in my book. They just move so awkward and fast that it looks unnatural. If they can ever get the movement correct and make a bigger impact with styles and ratings, that's when goalies will be improved. This is just a huge issue for me especially when a game from 08 nearly perfected how goalies move and react.

# 3 canucksss @ 07/06/13 06:04 PM
This looks very promising. But I wonder if EA improves the IQ of these goalies, like chasing the puck even if there's an opposing player near the puck, leaving the net wide open. OR the play I HATE MOST in 13 with the goalies, instead of holding the puck, he will shove it with his stick away the goal even if there's an opponent close by. I lost some games due to this stupid IQ of goalies.

I also wonder, how much this "improvement" will last. Maybe they will patch it of some cry-babies will cry out that "it's hard to score!" or some b.s.

I need to see more "improvements" in the game (ex. presentations, BaGM, AI-IQ etc.) before even considering to buy. Been disappointed for so long.

# 4 DaRK @ 07/06/13 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Already I see group celebrations left OUT again..
Yup, the game play is getting better, how could you EA!? No group celebrations!? I guess they can't put group celebrations as their main selling point this year, only improved goalie mechanics.

# 5 Bryzine21 @ 07/06/13 09:58 PM
Early leader for my Game of the Year vote!

# 6 skrody @ 07/06/13 10:23 PM
uhh you cant call it an improvement when that happens in NHL 13.

all those goals being scored were just normal nhl 13 goals. not because of screeening or getting the goalie out of position. just an excuse for all the same goals to go in.

# 7 Panther84 @ 07/06/13 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrody

all those goals being scored were just normal nhl 13 goals. not because of screeening or getting the goalie out of position. just an excuse for all the same goals to go in.
Bang on my man! Every goal they showed here i can do in NHL 13...same goalie animations...wish this game had the goalies from 2k8

# 8 13whitebread @ 07/07/13 01:17 AM
The video is a little bit of a reach. I don't see too much different IMPO

# 9 Money99 @ 07/07/13 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
Already I see group celebrations left OUT again..
I thought the OS moderator, who was at E3, said that EA gave him a very strange answer as to why they removed group celebrations.
He never stated the reason, only that it was bizarre.
I didn't realize next-gen hardware was needed to make group hugs possible.

# 10 ezio @ 07/07/13 11:26 AM
I hate the animation at the 1:40 mark in the Montreal clip. It was there in 13 and is still there now. That such a cheap way to give up a goal IMO.

# 11 ManiacMatt1782 @ 07/07/13 11:43 AM
What is being done about soft shots that provide the extremely unrealistic play where theyre is a dead reabound out infront and the goalie just gets out of the way. It happened on low soft shots with little power, or saucer passes into the pads. The puck would rebound softly in front, but the goalie would glide out of the way leaving an open net. This was a major exploit abused in 13. I want to hear how they fixed that, if they did at all

# 12 tyler289 @ 07/07/13 01:09 PM
Man, this is so disappointing. Looks exactly the same as NHL 11/12/13. And I echo everyone else's disappointment in group celebrations being out AGAIN despite everyone asking for it.

# 13 bwiggy33 @ 07/07/13 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrody

This is so correct. I honestly don't think ratings for goalies matter at all. Every goalie plays the same because they are programmed to, and there's only certain outcomes where goals go in. So basically even though a goalie has a rating of 95 for glove high, an 80 glove high will still play the exact same because goalies and scoring plays are programmed the same for everyone. The only time you can actually tell a difference in ratings is going from the NHL goalies to the CHL goalies because more goals go in. I just think the programming trumps the actual ratings in this game because it is all based on percentages. That goes for both goalies and players and that's why we don't see player differentiation. Until this game goes away from percentages and calculations for goal scoring, the only ratings differences we see will be ones that have to do with speed.

In this game the puck can only hit certain parts of the net. Those parts of the net are the middle, five hole (rarely), perfectly upper corner, and perfectly lower corner. There aren't any goals legitimately scored over the shoulder (closer to the goalies head), under the inside of the arms, under their pads (not 5 hole), or any other goals we see in real life. That's why all of the goal scoring feels the same and that's why all goalies play the same. The game is just so overly programmed for the puck to go in the same spots every time that the same things happen over and over again. This game needs to nail down the fact that the puck can hit any spot of the net and can beat the goalie anywhere. It would also be a breath of fresh air to actually see true to life net tension. Gone are the days of a baggy net where the puck automatically drops straight down.

# 14 Guapo516 @ 07/07/13 11:39 PM
This game looks great.

Way off topic may b but ea sports should do a mirrors edge camera angle for every game I could only imagine..

# 15 ERA @ 07/08/13 02:00 AM
Can't wait to try the new hitting mechanics and also the enforcer engine. To be honest it looks kind of like '13 in my opinion, though.

# 16 ComaFaction @ 07/08/13 06:41 AM
Was the very first save by Price new? The butterfly looks way better to me - he's very upright and takes it off his chest much more realistically. Or maybe I'm imagining things.

# 17 FBeaule04 @ 07/08/13 01:20 PM
I don't see anything different from the videos they showed us last summer when saying they've improved the goalies in NHL 13. To be fairly honest, I like what I see, but there's nothing that makes me believe it's different from last year.

# 18 Al_Tito13 @ 07/08/13 01:27 PM
From the blog's notes, there seems to be some tweaks that could actually make the goalies better in NHL 14, even if they don't look much different in the trailer. I'll have to wait to play the game before being able to make a full opinion. One thing is for sure, I really hope that goalies lateral movement speed and anticipation was reduced, because it was way over the top in NHL 13.

# 19 Schmackity @ 07/08/13 03:46 PM
All they have to do is remove the 'glitch' goals and top shelf shots constantly going in and I'd buy the game. No other crap added to it.

You can't play an online game these days without playing someone who doesn't understand hockey but can glitch goal everytime. It's depressing.

# 20 jonapaloma @ 07/08/13 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
This is so correct. I honestly don't think ratings for goalies matter at all. Every goalie plays the same because they are programmed to, and there's only certain outcomes where goals go in. So basically even though a goalie has a rating of 95 for glove high, an 80 glove high will still play the exact same because goalies and scoring plays are programmed the same for everyone. The only time you can actually tell a difference in ratings is going from the NHL goalies to the CHL goalies because more goals go in. I just think the programming trumps the actual ratings in this game because it is all based on percentages. That goes for both goalies and players and that's why we don't see player differentiation. Until this game goes away from percentages and calculations for goal scoring, the only ratings differences we see will be ones that have to do with speed.

In this game the puck can only hit certain parts of the net. Those parts of the net are the middle, five hole (rarely), perfectly upper corner, and perfectly lower corner. There aren't any goals legitimately scored over the shoulder (closer to the goalies head), under the inside of the arms, under their pads (not 5 hole), or any other goals we see in real life. That's why all of the goal scoring feels the same and that's why all goalies play the same. The game is just so overly programmed for the puck to go in the same spots every time that the same things happen over and over again. This game needs to nail down the fact that the puck can hit any spot of the net and can beat the goalie anywhere. It would also be a breath of fresh air to actually see true to life net tension. Gone are the days of a baggy net where the puck automatically drops straight down.
I also hope they make the ratings matter. They haven't affected how good players/goalies are in a long time. I bought 09 recently and it was the same thing. A players speed was the same with 50 as it was at 99.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.