Home
NHL 14 News Post

EA Sports has posted a teaser image from NHL 14 with blue ice. More details will be revealed tomorrow.

With the combination of the blue ice, font used in the image and NHL 14 being the 20th anniversary of NHL 94, one would assume we will hear about how EA Sports will implement NHL 94 into this years game.

UPDATE: They just added a celebration image, similar to those seen in NHL 94.

What are you hoping for?

NHL 14 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Fiddy @ 07/10/13 01:35 PM
sucks its not an historical arena and them announcing like 100 historic teams.. LOL

ill ONLY be impressed by this NHL 94 stuff, if....

we can play it online vs friends and random people
leaderboards
we can play it EASHL style
updated 2013/14 rosters
old school rosters (if they allowed)
line changes and no line change games

is that too much? LOL

# 2 TDKing @ 07/10/13 02:31 PM
I don't care about old games. I want a good NEW game!

# 3 Retropyro @ 07/10/13 02:32 PM
A full franchise mode with relocation so I can bring back the Whalers and Nordiques????

# 4 mcmax3000 @ 07/10/13 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
sucks its not an historical arena and them announcing like 100 historic teams.. LOL

ill ONLY be impressed by this NHL 94 stuff, if....

we can play it online vs friends and random people
leaderboards
we can play it EASHL style
updated 2013/14 rosters
old school rosters (if they allowed)
line changes and no line change games

is that too much? LOL
Yeah, I think it probably is.

I could see some of that stuff, but I highly doubt there will be anything with older rosters, because I imagine they'd have to license all of those players individually.

# 5 Mintsa @ 07/10/13 03:10 PM
I believe NBA Live 2005 had something similar to this. You could basically play NBA Live 95 (same graphics/controllers) with updated rosters and teams.

# 6 adayinthelife @ 07/10/13 03:36 PM
It will probably just be a game mode similar to "play now" that puts you on that blue tinted ice and makes you use the classic button controls. Wouldn't be surprised if they throw in NHL 94 sound effects too, but I'm guessing they will use NHL 14 player models vs. retro graphics with updated rosters. I could (and hope!) be wrong though...

# 7 Moose Factory @ 07/10/13 03:56 PM
Actually it'd be pretty cool to play in a style similar to what EA did in that Blackhawks game vs. Dallas where they NHL 94 styled Kane doing a spin-o-rama goal.

Also as long as Jeremy Roenick is in it and is unstoppable as ever... and a Ron Barr commentary cameo.

# 8 Steve_OS @ 07/10/13 04:00 PM
They just sent out another image...

Looks like an NHL 94 celebration.

# 9 murph17 @ 07/10/13 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
It will probably just be a game mode similar to "play now" that puts you on that blue tinted ice and makes you use the classic button controls. Wouldn't be surprised if they throw in NHL 94 sound effects too, but I'm guessing they will use NHL 14 player models vs. retro graphics with updated rosters. I could (and hope!) be wrong though...
I with you on this. Disappointed if it's NHL 14 with blue ice, classic controls, etc.

Just give me NHL 94 with H2H online play. 2014 rosters, and 1994 rosters (no names due to licensing). Heck, release it as an arcade game and hit me up for another $10. I'll buy it and won't complain.

# 10 murph17 @ 07/10/13 04:21 PM
full size pic from FB

# 11 Just_Cow @ 07/10/13 05:03 PM
I'm all for taking us back to the old days so I hope it's not just arena but sounds as well. They do look pretty funky doing the old celebration though haha!!

# 12 jpb07 @ 07/10/13 05:08 PM
I'd settle for just making relocation a possibility and have a DLC pack of the old stadiums (Chicago Stadium being at the top of my list.) I hope it's better than what Tiburon did with Madden. I think I played it twice and never gave it a thought after that.

With the fake/supposed fan vote's final two, it's obvious that the main gameplay focus is going to be on Goalies. The cover athletes always give away where the developers have focused their time. The most glaring example of this being the Hit Stick coming to Madden when Ray Lewis was on the cover.

# 13 ericromain @ 07/10/13 05:17 PM
I believe the PS2 version of NHL06 had a playable version of NHL94.
It was actually pretty disappointing, lots of licensing limitations (no real names, Hartford wasn't included), and it wasn't a very good emulation, someone like myself who still plays a lot of genesis hockey couldn't adjust to the subtle timing/control differences.

Hopefully they do something different from 06 and give some interesting content to an old 94 fan like myself.

# 14 tWoSour @ 07/10/13 06:48 PM
and they just tweeted that "the star is back" with this image

http://t.co/bMkp4yJHsr

# 15 MizzouRah @ 07/10/13 09:16 PM
Could care less.. how about that time going into BeGM, presentation, AI, etc..

Are people really going to play NHL 94 besides a game or two?

# 16 superbus @ 07/10/13 09:21 PM
So this is it, huh folks? Instead of fixing Be a GM, and doing something about the ridiculous, Looney Tunes-style hits, we're going to have a bunch of stuff from 20 year old game that I can play on an emulator? This is what we're excited for?

It should be noted that NHL '06, which was the last real game of the PS2 generation (NHL '07 very much doesn't count), did the same crap. And by the way, that game was awful.

# 17 bukktown @ 07/10/13 10:28 PM
I'm all for nostalgia!

# 18 drog1602 @ 07/11/13 12:05 AM
Well I am glad they spent their limited time/budget on another gimmick.

(Sarcasm)

# 19 hf199 @ 07/11/13 08:44 AM
Who cares! Just make the presentation better and stop with this flashback stuff that people will spend like 10 minutes playing and never play again.

# 20 bwiggy33 @ 07/11/13 09:15 AM
That picture of Kane is sweet. Those celebrations are classic. I am in no way shocked this is going into the game though. NHL.com made a huge deal about the anniversary back in February or whenever it was when they interviewed a bunch of players. I'll tell ya what though, if this wasn't the last version of the current gen cycle I'd be pretty pissed they weren't working on other things. At this point in time I know that nothing can really be changed to make this game truly better so it is what it is. If this NHL 94 thing is cool I may actually consider buying the game.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.