Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

The NCAA has decided today, unilaterally it appears, to not renew their license with EA Sports for the NCAA Football video game beginning next year.

In the statement, the NCAA said, "The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA."

EA should still be able to work out individual school, conference, awards, etc. licenses from the CLC -- which should mean the series should be able to live on. At the end of the day, this is the NCAA taking it's name and logo off of the game, but nothing more it appears. So while the series can't be called "NCAA Football" anymore, perhaps with the ESPN license the series can be called "EA Sports College Gameday 15" next season.

The only way this ends the NCAA Football series altogether is if one of two further scenarios happen: 1)If EA Sports decides it is done with the series altogether, which is doubtful given it's a top seller in the US. 2)If the CLC won't play ball with EA Sports, and thus EA has to negotiate licenses individually from member institutions

It is possible EA Sports will not continue development of the game after this year because of either reason, or because of fears of financial fallout from the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit. However, there is no guarantee EA will face huge financial problems from the O'Bannon lawsuit, and in a sense -- the threat of the O'Bannon lawsuit ending the series is the same today as it was yesterday.

I EA wants to they can continue the game with purely cosmetic changes and greater creative freedom without the NCAA hovering above the game. And let's face it, the less the NCAA is involved in anything, the better it will be.

So in a sense, the only thing different today versus yesterday with regards to the NCAA Football series is that it is no longer the NCAA Football series going forward. Everything thing else remains the same.

UPDATE: Brett McMurphy of ESPN is reporting ESPN has been told EA Sports will still have a college football video game beyond 2014, next year's game will be called College Football 15.

UPDATE #2: According to ESPN's Sports Business reporter Darren Rovell the CLC, which handles school, bowl, awards, etc. licensing, says it plans to work with EA in the future despite the NCAA dropping out.

UPDATE #3: EA Sports Executive Vice President Andrew Wilson speaks. In a statement, Wilson said, "EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans."

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Cbass45 @ 07/17/13 03:14 PM
I suggest everyone read this Twitter timeline:

https://twitter.com/owengood

# 162 KleShreen @ 07/17/13 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondn96
EA...please just release the uniform update that is probably already done or almost done. And if they would release a patch it would make the game sell better
You've posted this 13 times. We get it. You like uniforms that have no bearing whatsoever on the game.

# 163 BenGerman @ 07/17/13 03:15 PM
So it's officially over, then. This is just terrible news. As someone who has genuinely enjoyed the series for over a decade, this really comes as a punch to the gut. The whole situation reminds be of a Gandhi quote:

"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed".

# 164 TDenverFan @ 07/17/13 03:15 PM
Wonder if they could at least port this to the next gen consoles?

# 165 BleedGreen710 @ 07/17/13 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbass45

But.. what about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIAggie
from EA forum

it's officially done
NCAA Football staff just been told, last day of work for the dev team is Dec. 1

# 166 MrArlingtonBeach @ 07/17/13 03:17 PM
OK, I follow Kotaku writer Owen Good (@owengood) on Twitter, as I assume most of you all do as well.

He's saying this is a big overreaction and next year's could just be called "College Football 15" or the like, as the only thing that's being lost is the NCAA license. The CLC agreement means all schools and team logos would be available.

This could change, and my personal opinion is that this (along with the legal issues over player likenesses) could give EA Sports an out. And they could wash their hands clean of college video games for good.

A whole lotta confusion right now, that's for sure.

# 167 DorianDonP @ 07/17/13 03:17 PM
Quote:

I hope he is right. But what about the post from the EA forum? Has that been confirmed?

# 168 aholbert32 @ 07/17/13 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIAggie
from EA forum

it's officially done
NCAA Football staff just been told, last day of work for the dev team is Dec. 1

no reason to buy a next-gen system now
I'll wait until I hear this from a respected journalist, an EA employee or EA through a press release. I'm not trusting the word of a random poster on EA's board.

# 169 AUChase @ 07/17/13 03:18 PM
I miss when SCEA/989 were involed in College Football Games.

# 170 aholbert32 @ 07/17/13 03:18 PM
Quote:

Exactly. What I've been saying.

# 171 brandon27 @ 07/17/13 03:18 PM
Wow, Im surprised that the NCAA would pull the license on this, not just with EA but with everyone it seems. I'm sure they were getting a pretty penny or two from it.

I'd suspect though it means its not out of the realm of possibility though that a college football game could return, just without the NCAA branding. It happened in the past didnt it?

EDIT: and with Cbass45's post above, it seems that continuation of the series still may be possible.

# 172 TDenverFan @ 07/17/13 03:19 PM
Do you think emailing EA in support could help?

# 173 ehh @ 07/17/13 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I'll wait until I hear this from a respected journalist, an EA employee or EA through a press release. I'm not trusting the word of a random poster on EA's board.
It does seem very quick. Unless EA knew this was coming there is no way they heard the news break from the NCAA and then immediately notified the NCAA team that Dec 1 was their final day.

# 174 BrandH @ 07/17/13 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
But I read it on the internet. They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true. hahaha This whole reaction has made my day.

# 175 BenGerman @ 07/17/13 03:20 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens next. As others have mentioned EA would probably be turning down money by not making a College Football 2015. But it would also make sense that they may just want to wash their hands of the series as a whole. We'll see.

# 176 Marino @ 07/17/13 03:20 PM
When I go to EA Forum, I do not see that. I don't see college football dying, they are just removing the name. So many schools are licensed with CLC, they could get a deal done with CLC. Could also open up the game for more FCS teams as well, as the CLC licenses them as well.

# 177 AUChase @ 07/17/13 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
Do you think emailing EA in support could help?
If you want a very generic, useless response.

# 178 tbennett54 @ 07/17/13 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMBrown
Listen,if 2k bailed on college hoops, they're not getting back into the football market. end of story.
True, but college football is bigger than basketball.

# 179 aholbert32 @ 07/17/13 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
It does seem very quick. Unless EA knew this was coming there is no way they heard the news break from the NCAA and then immediately notified the NCAA team that Dec 1 was their final day.
I also noticed that I cant find that post anywhere on the forums and EA is deleting all "NCAA Football is dead" post on its forums.

# 180 BleedGreen710 @ 07/17/13 03:22 PM
The NCAA no longer letting EA Sports put their name and logo on the game will probably have a similar effect as if John Madden declared he didn't want to be associated with Madden anymore. They just need to change the name and the logo, but they will still have a college football game with all the teams and logos and everything.

This is wishful thinking of course, but what I read from Owen on twitter, that's what my understanding of the situation is.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.