Home
NBA Live 14 News Post

EA Sports has posted an NBA Live 14 blog detailing BounceTek, their dribbling mechanic. The videos show that they have eliminated some of the flaws seen in the dribbling animations that were seen in NBA Live 10. They are looking to squash all of the canned animations and bring you more responsiveness.

Quote:
  • The dev team recaptured all of our dribble animations in order to give players the responsiveness they were looking for.
  • Our technology allows us to ensure that movement is as fluid as it should be in order to deliver authentic gameplay.
  • Our dribbling has something called "Authentic Responsiveness," which means the ball is controllable when it touches the player’s hands, ensuring that control is responsive when it should be and unresponsive when it should be. While that sounds counterintuitive, it's important to create the depth required in a top-notch dribbling system.
  • Depth is created through decision-making and risk-reward options that forces users to think about what they want to do with the ball in their hands.

NBA Live 14 will only release for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles, later this year.

Check out the blog and let us know what you think of BounceTek.

Game: NBA Live 14Reader Score: 4/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
NBA Live 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 BQ32 @ 07/19/13 09:53 AM
I implore everyone to actually read the blog especially focusing on the second part about the physics and then re-watch the video to analyze what they are talking about. You can see the possible trajectory of the ball if untouched but also the point at which the ball can be controlled and the player animation begins. Definitely cool stuff and when considering the fact that a player may have to actually think about what they are doing while dribbling could prove to be a real game changer while eliminating a lot of 1 on 1 animation cheese.

Now If they can add the possibility for the players contact cage to happen at a lower or sooner point depending on player movement input, it would allow for different animations to occur more rapidly therefore allowing quick agile players to change direction and make there moves much more quickly.

I don't know how well this will all be implemented but after years of being disappointed with all basketball games out there count me temporarily excited.

# 42 mvb34 @ 07/19/13 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaggedout
I don't think they are going to show 5 on 5 anytime soon for the fact that, we haven't seen much from Madden 25 yet. I don't recall getting much info on basketball before the football season starts.
Exactly plus we don't have locked down date to when PS4/XBOX1 will hit stores..

# 43 Earl1963 @ 07/19/13 11:14 AM
Haven't seen much of Live 14 but at least this part of Live looks much better than the dribbling in 2k.

# 44 bigeastbumrush @ 07/19/13 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles
Why are we complaining about something that will make the look and feel good???? I think it's a great addition. Hope there's more to come
No one's complaining about that.

The question is why does EA want props for comparing a next gen game to a game that came out in 2009? And their own game at that. That may have been one of the stupidest "blogs" I've seen in a very long time.

Complete absence of logic.

# 45 strawberryshortcake @ 07/19/13 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

EA Sports has posted an NBA Live 14 blog detailing BounceTek, their dribbling mechanic. The videos show that they have eliminated some of the flaws seen in the dribbling animations that were seen in NBA Live 10. They are looking to squash all of the canned animations and bring you more responsiveness.

Check out the blog and let us know what you think of BounceTek.
Decent preliminary tech demo video. Nice footplant. My concern with the video comes in at the 0:19 - 0:20 mark when the ball handler crosses the basketball between the legs. The ball "miscues" and "loses" contact with the hand, and appears the forearm helps complete the crossover. Or it could simply be another "animation glitch" that we're so use to. It didn't look right. Everything else was fairly solid at first glance.

I will say this: With new generation hardware (PS4/XB1), I am being cautiously optimistic that EA Sports (and all other sports' developers) will deliver better products that represent the respective sports.

For the sake of sports gamers, let's hope all sports' title get injected with a greater degree of realism.

# 46 tbook24 @ 07/19/13 12:00 PM
with the ball working seperate it should be more realistic in moving and if you get a hand in there on defense there should be more deflections

# 47 bigeastbumrush @ 07/19/13 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirs
Because that game in 2009 is what they are improving upon from and building off of which every live fan has wanted.

I think it's still a better game then what 2k has to offer in 2013.
Where have they said that they are building off of Live 10?

And let's not act like FIFA didn't have these exact same comparison videos for the past 3+ years.

I guess EA is back in their proverbial "Year 1" phase yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirs
To me it looked more like a palming of the ball and slight hesitation gather which is very realistic.
He is right. The ball goes off of the model's forearm.

# 48 TarHeelPhenom @ 07/19/13 12:32 PM
As someone who started with Ea and the Lakers vs. Celtics on to NBA Live...and then moved to 2k when EA got slack...I'm having an open mind and am willing to give this a chance. I'm hoping the game is good. Having two good games are beneficial for the gamer.

# 49 videlsports @ 07/19/13 12:54 PM
It's a good start, I think I will be happy because driving is a big part of the game, and I like to see how the defense reacts to this.

# 50 SageInfinite @ 07/19/13 01:37 PM
Live 10 is the only game they can compare it to, it's the last one they were actually able to put out! LMAO. Got Damn shame. EA doesn't deserve any props at this point. These dudes couldn't even get a game on store shelves or in a digital space in years. I hope they make an amazing game(and actually put it out, lol), it will only benefit us.

# 51 iTz GoRiLlAz @ 07/19/13 02:56 PM
Well the reason they are "focusing" on bounceTek is if you read the original article From EA dribbling makes half of the game of Basketball. So focusing on bounceTek is focusing on half the game. Other interviews from the NBA Live team show how they are trying to work on shooting, defending, rebounding,and blocking. Which are little percentages, compared to the 50% of bounceTek's. Which I am not implying is more important or less, but that they are simply showing the greater area of the game. Simply moving to the other larger pastures of the game. My guess defense is next in there blog line up of the game.

# 52 stillfeelme @ 07/19/13 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
I implore everyone to actually read the blog especially focusing on the second part about the physics and then re-watch the video to analyze what they are talking about. You can see the possible trajectory of the ball if untouched but also the point at which the ball can be controlled and the player animation begins. Definitely cool stuff and when considering the fact that a player may have to actually think about what they are doing while dribbling could prove to be a real game changer while eliminating a lot of 1 on 1 animation cheese.

Now If they can add the possibility for the players contact cage to happen at a lower or sooner point depending on player movement input, it would allow for different animations to occur more rapidly therefore allowing quick agile players to change direction and make there moves much more quickly.

I don't know how well this will all be implemented but after years of being disappointed with all basketball games out there count me temporarily excited.
The blog was more informative than the video. This is something a user has to be in control of to get the full feel of or they needed examples of the bounce tek when you had a defender sticking you or if you chose the wrong dribble move for the situation.

# 53 m1ke_nyc @ 07/19/13 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
No one's complaining about that.

The question is why does EA want props for comparing a next gen game to a game that came out in 2009? And their own game at that. That may have been one of the stupidest "blogs" I've seen in a very long time.

Complete absence of logic.
What else are they suppose to compare it to ? they are showing the improvement in dribbling from their previous game.

# 54 JODYE @ 07/19/13 04:40 PM
Man, people can find anything and everything to bitch about huh?

It was a feature focused blog and they were comparing that feature to the last functioning game they put out? Wouldn't they be more absent of logic if they compared it to a game that was completely broken?

Some of yall don't make sense man.

# 55 Da_Czar @ 07/19/13 05:00 PM
The concept is solid man. Even exciting when I consider the possibilities. but tt really depends on how it's executed especially in regards to 5 vs5 or even 1 V 1 with contact. etc.

Remember this game does not release in Oct so were probably still a ways from serious information.

# 56 k1lo5 @ 07/19/13 05:53 PM
I'm liking it so far. Hoping the new bouncetek will totally seperate you from the defender. 2k fails to do that!

Plenty of time to get more news guys. Game not out til next gen drops anyways...

# 57 Earl1963 @ 07/19/13 07:09 PM
I guess they could have compared the dribbling feature to NBA 2k13.

# 58 m1ke_nyc @ 07/20/13 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
I guess they could have compared the dribbling feature to NBA 2k13.
And how would they convince 2K Sports to allow them to use video footage of 2K13 to make 2Ks game look inferior to theres ?

# 59 da ThRONe @ 07/20/13 08:27 AM
Not sure how anybody can oppose significant upgrades to any major area to the game of basketball. Dribbling being one of the main areas.

I would have like to seen more complex moves to really get a feel for bounce tek. They kept it real basic so the importance of having the ball be "live" really doesn't jump out at you.

# 60 F0rl3fclov3r @ 07/20/13 04:21 PM
Not to be like this, but man, those videos don't look good at all. At all! What is EA doing?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.