Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

According to Joystiq, EA Sports has extended their non-exclusive license with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) for three more years, starting July 1st, 2014. As everyone knows by now, the NCAA has decided not to renew their contract with EA Sports, but it's not quite as big of a deal that people thought it was going to be when it was first announced.

The CLC handles the licensing for the college teams, stadiums, logos, conferences, bowl games, etc. With the NCAA out of the picture, we simply won't see the NCAA name or logos in the game or on the box.

UPDATE: Confirmed by Samit Sarkar of Polygon.

Quote:
A representative for the CLC declined to provide information on the financial terms of the agreement. In response to a question asking why the organization is continuing its relationship with EA when the NCAA is backing out because of legal troubles that all three groups share, the rep told Polygon, "There's no reason to discontinue the game, which has been, and is, in compliance with rules regulating college football.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 robbel @ 07/19/13 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallcoach
2k could ALWAYS get the CLC license, only the NCAA was exclusive. 2k fanboys please stop championing for them to get back in this... they wont. And the last time they made a College Football game it was terrible.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2002/08/...football-2k3-2

Now, I do agree compettition is better. But I want 989 Sports to bring back College Gameday! That game was legit back in the day.
CLC WAS exclusive. The only reason it isn't for the next 5 years is due to a settlement from another court case.

# 22 timbosliceGB @ 07/19/13 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown2600
I'm surprised by this but I shouldn't be...the power of money, but the same problem still exists. One video game publisher holding all the cards (for now) to publish the only licensed college football game on the market. We keep our college football game, but does it get better?

Hopefully the fact that it it's non-exclusive will encourage other devs to jump in the mix.
if 2k wanted to dish out the money they could sign a deal with this license company as well seeing it's not a ea only deal but at this point i don't think 2k cares to make another football game they put all their money into nba games.

# 23 LastExit @ 07/19/13 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon27
Good news! Interesting that it's non-exclusive too.
Ditto.

Thanks for posting this, Steve. This should put to bed all the concerns about EA not moving forward with the college football franchise.

# 24 o Elevate o @ 07/19/13 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbosliceGB
if 2k wanted to dish out the money they could sign a deal with this license company as well seeing it's not a ea only deal but at this point i don't think 2k cares to make another football game they put all their money into nba games.
It's not all about having the money. They have to feel like they'd make a profit on an annual basis, and given that they'd have to dust off that old engine, PLUS get it up to speed with what's expected in sports gaming today, PLUS do all this on the next gen.

Yeah, I doubt we see them going the football route. College basketball though, IDK if that's related to the CLC, but that may stand a better chance.

# 25 mestevo @ 07/19/13 08:50 PM
Another of the many factors against another competitor joining the CFB market is this contact is 5 years, perhaps not coincidentally thats how long EA is barred from exclusivity and they could pursue it again when this new deal is renewed - shutting out a competitor or forcing them to generic-up their game.

This new deal also signals a missed opportunity for someone else to get exclusivity for themselves and shut EA out, however unlikely that possibility.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

# 26 Cryolemon @ 07/19/13 09:22 PM
Couple of tweets from Pastapadre on this:

Bryan Wiedey ‏@pastapadre 1h
Though EA and CLC extended for 3 years some schools have opted out meaning they may not be in the college football game. Dont know who yet

I'll have more on this and the potential of institutions choosing not to be in video games in a story tomorrow.

Bryan Wiedey ‏@pastapadre 38m
Keep in mind schools could opt out of CLC deal in order to negotiate their own and get more $. More likely they dont want involvement though

# 27 gator3guy @ 07/19/13 09:51 PM
If teams are missing, that would absolutely kill the game for me. I know some people can ignore it and use teambuilder but I can't. Hopefully something gets worked out, but this whole situation looks like it can implode any second.

# 28 lord_mike @ 07/19/13 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
If teams are missing, that would absolutely kill the game for me. I know some people can ignore it and use teambuilder but I can't. Hopefully something gets worked out, but this whole situation looks like it can implode any second.
I'm telling you guys, this could all go south real quick. The bad situation may end up only being temporary, but could be enough to kill the whole thing going forth. I wouldn't count on anything at the moment.

# 29 aholbert32 @ 07/20/13 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_mike
I'm telling you guys, this could all go south real quick. The bad situation may end up only being temporary, but could be enough to kill the whole thing going forth. I wouldn't count on anything at the moment.
Wow. A signed deal doesn't convince u guys. I guess we will see in a year.

# 30 aholbert32 @ 07/20/13 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
Couple of tweets from Pastapadre on this:

Though EA and CLC extended for 3 years some schools have opted out meaning they may not be in the college football game. Dont know who yet

I'll have more on this and the potential of institutions choosing not to be in video games in a story tomorrow.

Bryan Wiedey ‏@pastapadre 38m
Keep in mind schools could opt out of CLC deal in order to negotiate their own and get more $. More likely they dont want involvement though
FYI pasta clarified his tweet. Schools can opt out but none have. They always can opt out anyway. If they do opt out, ea will have to negotiate with them individually which ea already does with other schools.

# 31 The JareBear @ 07/20/13 12:56 AM
Maybe I'm naive but I don't see what's worth being worried over. Seems under control to me

# 32 Rivals @ 07/20/13 03:25 AM
There are so many work arounds the likeness issue. It's a non-issue for gaming companies. The NCAA, however, is headed down another road when it comes to amateurism.

# 33 Lowebo @ 07/20/13 04:48 AM
So the full story is here:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...newed/2570119/

Key quote:
Quote:
...each school or league continuing to decide whether to opt in or out through Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC), their licensing agent.

Some schools did opt out for different reasons, though it's not clear how many. CLC represents nearly 200 colleges, conferences and bowl games.

"More than 150 colleges, conferences and Bowl Games have approved the extension thus far," CLC spokesman Andrew Giangola told USA TODAY Sports. "For various reasons, schools and conferences typically come and go across the life span of any licensed product, as is the case with this game."
So until we know for certain, we know nothing.

As we were then...

# 34 Cubfan @ 07/20/13 05:21 AM
According to this article http://extramustard.si.com/2013/07/1...g_a2&eref=sihp EA would have to sign these schools to their own deals:

Ohio St
Oregon
Michigan St
Baylor
Northern Illinois
Virginia Tech
USC
Troy
South Alabama

# 35 Cryolemon @ 07/20/13 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan
According to this article http://extramustard.si.com/2013/07/1...g_a2&eref=sihp EA would have to sign these schools to their own deals:

Ohio St
Oregon
Michigan St
Baylor
Northern Illinois
Virginia Tech
USC
Troy
South Alabama
I wonder how much extra EA will have to pay as a result of that.

# 36 LastExit @ 07/20/13 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
I wonder how much extra EA will have to pay as a result of that.
Yeah, this is what concerns me....schools that may think that EA is willing to pay a boatload for the rights to include them in the game, a protracted negotiation over the fee and one side or the other pulling out of the deal as the deadline nears.

I think the game would still be worth doing if, say, Ohio State and Oregon were not in it but I'd be fooling myself trying to believe that the exclusion of those programs wouldn't greatly lessen the game even though I'm not a fan of either school.

Let's hope the schools that the CLC does not represent agrees to be part of the game going forward. If the NCAA was just a name and a logo for the game, wouldn't EA have been having to negotiate individually with these schools already?

# 37 Boilerbuzz @ 07/20/13 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallcoach
2k could ALWAYS get the CLC license, only the NCAA was exclusive. 2k fanboys please stop championing for them to get back in this... they wont. And the last time they made a College Football game it was terrible.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2002/08/...football-2k3-2

Now, I do agree compettition is better. But I want 989 Sports to bring back College Gameday! That game was legit back in the day.
First, it was FAR from terrible. It had issue, but come on. College Gameday was WORSE. But during that time, it's not like ANY of the college football games were any more than a shell of the NFL titles. BTW, 2K3 was developed by Kush. Kush sucked. VC would do any football game coming from 2K Sports now and I'd put money on a good game IF it were to be made. But it won't, so lets not go there. 2K and no one else will get into the fray because they can't make any money on it. The college football video game market isn't big enough to support today's costs of making a game of that quality. As for this news, some folks need to realize that the CLC has ALWAYS been the main cog in the licensing picture for NCAA titles. Why the NCAA is stepping back is purely to minimize damage it THINKS! We will see. As for the games, who cares. The CLC is the entity that handles the deals for the schools as a collective. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think every school is covered under the CLC. I'm sure I'm wrong about that to some level. Anyway, none of this matter until this case is settled. If the athletes "win", expect to see college games done at a lesser expense, higher price, or not at all. Should the kids benefit from the money being made? HELL YES!!! ALL of the student athletes should be able to survive without needing a job they are not allowed to have (thanks NCAA). MANY schools are behind this! Should just football and basketball player be *paid* - HELL NO! For any of them to claim to "never see a dime" of that money is COMPLETE and utter bs! You should SEE the facilities they have unlimited access too! You should see the training tables. They have free medical. They're tuition, room, and board are paid for! You should see the "perks" of being in the BMOC club! I know this. I was part of it. So, NONE of them can claim to not "see a dime" of these mega contract. But I'm OT. Sorry. At the end of the day, only the NCAA branding is gone. And, frankly, good riddance!!!

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.