Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Last year 2K Sports started up their Community Team-Up Program for NBA 2K13, giving the biggest NBA 2K fans an exclusive look at the game. IpodKingCarter, Chris Smoove, KSpade64, vannwolfhawk, ShakeDown and sma11z99 all accepted their invites, while Da_Czar declined and Shady00018 couldn't make it.

2K Sports has just started up another Community Team-Up Program for NBA 2K14. It would be great to see someone from the OS community get in on the action.

With that said, speak up now. Who are your recommendations?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 mango_prom @ 07/26/13 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Throne2K11
I have to disagree with Da Czar, even if the game play is slightly balanced, they're still advertising to the 1000’s of kids subscribed to these YouTube guys. Online play will be just *** bad as it is now.
I mean do they really need much more than Lebron endorsement, the usual great attention to presentation and easy to master gameplay in order to attract the masses of casual gamers? It just seems like they're really milking it right now. Basically, they've invited a few fans who will rave about awesome graphics, new clothes for MyPlayer and so on for free. Smart business for sure.

On the other hand, for fixing the most glaring issues 2k won't need to invite 1000 harcore sim fans for 2 weeks of testing. Rosters are a mess, the same with playbooks, playcalling and defense. Has been said over and over again. 2k is aware of all this, so let's see how the actual game turns out.

# 182 vannwolfhawk @ 07/26/13 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
Roster related
Vtcrb
Bedwardsroy
Slimm44
Hyperballer21
Nogster

Playbooks/Defense schemes related
Da Czar
Vannwolfhawk

Gameplay/movement/moves related
JasonWilliams55
JerseyReign
Jersez

Association related

Eaglerock
Ronyell
Leftos (I know he will be part of 2k, but yet he still isnt, so)

Classics related
Portlandblazer
Rayray34
Sellaz32

Accesories/Kicks related
Seanbarkley
AngelG

-----
*no particular order and all are well rounded 2k gurus that can contribute to many modes, the separation was just how I personaly think they can contribute to their best.

P.S.:
I miss the days were OS was awarded with been able to send a select teamup (Steve, Da_Czar, Pared, Rockchisler, Chase, etc).

Here is to hope for 2k going back to its roots and re-establishing it, better yet, if they did both: the encounter with the OS Community and the Community Team-up one. Both obviously appealing distinct markets.

Might be wrong, but I thought most of the expenses were afforded by the community members and even if 2k were paying all, the potential benefits of been in contact with so many valuable members of our community and their feedback, would very well be worth it.
Chris, if you ever do have a program that is twice a year and early in the development cycle, this is a great reference list you might want to print out. I believe this covers all modes for the sim nation. You truly could not go wrong with any of those guys with feedback in their respective areas of expertise.

# 183 LD2k @ 07/26/13 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Chris, if you ever do have a program that is twice a year and early in the development cycle, this is a great reference list you might want to print out. I believe this covers all modes for the sim nation. You truly could not go wrong with any of those guys with feedback in their respective areas of expertise.
Noted my man. Thanks for this.

# 184 IpodKingCarter @ 07/26/13 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
YEERRRPPPP!

I am happy to be invited again this year... Let's Make Things Happen!!!

# 185 LakersForLife @ 07/26/13 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IpodKingCarter
YEERRRPPPP!

Please find out about CREW

# 186 Conda @ 07/27/13 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Throne2K11
I have to disagree with Da Czar, even if the game play is slightly balanced, they're still advertising to the 1000’s of kids subscribed to these YouTube guys. Online play will be just as bad as it is now which is so kid/casual friendly.
Hopefully 2K will have a much improved online mode with matchmaking and lobbies so we can have some control of who we play with/against. That would solve countless issues that people complain about online. A play-style scout report is already recorded with their VIP system. That should be a tool users can use to find opponents and teammates online. They have our wishlists.

*fingers crossed and waiting patiently*

# 187 thedream2k13 @ 07/27/13 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IpodKingCarter
YEERRRPPPP!

man you havent posted on operations sports in over 2 months

# 188 thedream2k13 @ 07/27/13 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Just because marketing is targeting a certain audience that doesn't tell us who the gameplay team was targeting. Certainly playability for all has to be considered if you want to move units but it's marketing's job to sell units.

If your only concern is game-play then almost nothing said before the last few weeks before game release (Since they seem to talk gameplay last) should really be of interest.

I mean it's not like we don't understand the situation. There is no perceived NEED to market to us. We seek out the information and are certain to make up our own minds to buy or not to buy based on what is important to us.

In fact if they did try to market to us we would probably reply simply by saying show us gameplay or a demo and then I will make my decision. So let marketing and youtubers do what they do.

And continue, as a community, to make smart, focused threads with the meat you want to see in your game.
sorry but i cant agree Czar. 2k had almost same group of guys from last year and they all spoke like 2k13 would be the best bball game ever made on their YouTube vids. none of them said anything about players sliding aside instead of getting contact animations and none of them said anyting about the lack of blocked shots and ability to contest dunks in the game. Either 2k showed them a different version of the game or they told them not to mention the negatives. Basic principals of bball were obviously ignored with the release of 2k13 as easily seen on the plethora of youtube vids and some left our some truths about the game we currently have

# 189 Da_Czar @ 07/27/13 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
sorry but i cant agree Czar. 2k had almost same group of guys from last year and they all spoke like 2k13 would be the best bball game ever made on their YouTube vids. none of them said anything about players sliding aside instead of getting contact animations and none of them said anyting about the lack of blocked shots and ability to contest dunks in the game. Either 2k showed them a different version of the game or they told them not to mention the negatives. Basic principals of bball were obviously ignored with the release of 2k13 as easily seen on the plethora of youtube vids and some left our some truths about the game we currently have

And my point is that by the time it is time to market the game the dev team was already complete with their work. AKA online was already as good as it was going to be. The same with gameplay etc.

And let's be 1000 here. When did the reports of dunks etc come out ? It wasn't the first 15 minutes you got the game was it ?

This is what I am saying you shouldn't vilify people who couldn't figure out in a day what it took us as a community weeks to find or come up with. I also have news for you. Games can change a good bit between what is a demo and what is a final.

So they reported on what they viewed in a limited amount of play time. Nobody tell;s them don't say this or that they are free to give their opinions on what they saw after the NDA is up.

The point of my post still stands IMO The development direction has very little to do with how marketing decides to market the game. Marketing happens after the dev's have done all they can.

Also what sports game does not suffer from lingering issues year over year ? Therefore how can you hold that as the bar if ANY progress has been made ?

Pick any year of your favorite hoop game and someone in this forum can rip it to shreds for you. You can see youtube evidence of every game after every release even games that take 3-5 years to come out have bugs. So how much more so games that get released every year ?

So again the basis for what I am saying is you will still need to wait and see for yourself if enough progress has been made for you. For a sim gamer no one can answer that for you in limited time with the game except for you.

I wish you could all go and then we would have a lot less conspiracy theories and we could focus on what it is WE CAN do to help make the games better.

Lastly we have all seen how a single roster download can change how the game plays and that is after the game ships. How much more is that possible when the game has not even shipped yet ?

Meaning when people go down to play the game sometimes things that are issues post ship are NOT issues when they played the game.

A game build can literally change hundreds of times a day. Did you know that ? You can make a build at 7 am and a build at 10 am and have 2 completely different gaming experiences. How much more if you extrapolate that over the course of weeks or months ? But you want to hold people accountable for a build they played 2 months before the game is in stores ?

# 190 thedream2k13 @ 07/27/13 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
And my point is that by the time it is time to market the game the dev team was already complete with their work. AKA online was already as good as it was going to be. The same with gameplay etc.

And let's be 1000 here. When did the reports of dunks etc come out ? It wasn't the first 15 minutes you got the game was it ?

This is what I am saying you shouldn't vilify people who couldn't figure out in a day what it took us as a community weeks to find or come up with. I also have news for you. Games can change a good bit between what is a demo and what is a final.

So they reported on what they viewed in a limited amount of play time. Nobody tell;s them don't say this or that they are free to give their opinions on what they saw after the NDA is up.

The point of my post still stands IMO The development direction has very little to do with how marketing decides to market the game. Marketing happens after the dev's have done all they can.

Also what sports game does not suffer from lingering issues year over year ? Therefore how can you hold that as the bar if ANY progress has been made ?

Pick any year of your favorite hoop game and someone in this forum can rip it to shreds for you. You can see youtube evidence of every game after every release even games that take 3-5 years to come out have bugs. So how much more so games that get released every year ?

So again the basis for what I am saying is you will still need to wait and see for yourself if enough progress has been made for you. For a sim gamer no one can answer that for you in limited time with the game except for you.

I wish you could all go and then we would have a lot less conspiracy theories and we could focus on what it is WE CAN do to help make the games better.

Lastly we have all seen how a single roster download can change how the game plays and that is after the game ships. How much more is that possible when the game has not even shipped yet ?

Meaning when people go down to play the game sometimes things that are issues post ship are NOT issues when they played the game.

A game build can literally change hundreds of times a day. Did you know that ? You can make a build at 7 am and a build at 10 am and have 2 completely different gaming experiences. How much more if you extrapolate that over the course of weeks or months ? But you want to hold people accountable for a build they played 2 months before the game is in stores ?
Meh game builds shouldnt get worse and development moves towards release date. The issues with 13 are very evident. good response but rob jones wants the game to be easier for new people to play and score without the need to know anything about bball. We cant do anything to change their "more accessible" direction.

# 191 ffaacc03 @ 07/27/13 05:23 PM
Come on guys, posting the same thing over and over on different threads wont make you any more right.

Be it that someone believes in conspiracy theories (lol) or not, as already stated, there are an important number of variables that affect the people brought in to that type of "events", regardless of aptitude or actitude ... and that is obvying the also significant amount of restrictions (and yes, not even considering the complot related ones).

What we should now aim tho, is to try and give our support to Da-Czar, LD2K & Ronnie2K so they can arrange the reinstatement of the exclusive OS Community Event, were our worthy members can share with 2k, thus now early into the development cycle of the next version (2k15), our: feedback, requests for fixes of recurrent issues and suggestions.

# 192 vtcrb @ 07/27/13 07:26 PM
I think the BOTTOM LINE is this: Issues are NOT getting fixed. NOT talking about TeamUp guys, I am meaning before they get a look at game, then MAYBE it is time for a change in the Methods of testing. There is no way a company that spends millions of dollars in Advertising and Development CANT address issues that are brought up for multiple years and still linger with NO resolution. When questions are asked NO answers are given to issues, we hear it is being looked at. I think there would be alot less of the complaining threads/comments IF we could just get answers to WHY things dont get fixed. Simply say, we cant correct this with the Current Software technology we have, etc. The TRUTH always is accepted better than to letting the questions keep mounting up with no answers.

# 193 Coach2K @ 07/27/13 08:27 PM
They probably know that no matter how great they make the game, people will still complain.

They probably read all of the feedback here on the forums anyway so in essence, it's my guess that all of your voices are all being heard (if you are reasonable about it) and so if you think about it you are all part of OS teamup already. It's just whether you get to be the one to fly somewhere and play the game before everyone else, say what you want face to face for a few hours and report back. (if they are even talking about doing that.)

The tools are all available for you to get your message to 2K right here. I think they watch this forum more than they watch their own which is kind of strange but a credit to all of you guys here more than anything that they care enough to be here more often than they do to be there.

It's to everyone's advantage that they sell a ton of games. If they do they can do more for us because there is more money to work with.

Having played Dr J and Larry Bird on the Commodore 64 back in the day and before that the hand held Mattel basketball with the little red dots, I give a lot of credit to 2K lol.

# 194 ffaacc03 @ 07/27/13 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
I think the BOTTOM LINE is this: Issues are NOT getting fixed. NOT talking about TeamUp guys, I am meaning before they get a look at game, then MAYBE it is time for a change in the Methods of testing. There is no way a company that spends millions of dollars in Advertising and Development CANT address issues that are brought up for multiple years and still linger with NO resolution. When questions are asked NO answers are given to issues, we hear it is being looked at. I think there would be alot less of the complaining threads/comments IF we could just get answers to WHY things dont get fixed. Simply say, we cant correct this with the Current Software technology we have, etc. The TRUTH always is accepted better than to letting the questions keep mounting up with no answers.
I agree about the recurrent issues and the need to change testing methods.

Would love that kind of transparency and really look forward to it, yet I understand why they choose not to.

At least, once we get reinstated the early into development cycle OS Community Event, we will back Da-Czar up, letting the devs know what we need and want and hopefully, we shall get some answers and see some definitive improvements then.

# 195 blues rocker @ 07/27/13 11:41 PM
i'm not sure what 2k's direction is at this point, and i'm not sure what the team up selections say about it. i used to know what 2k was about, but after trying online this year, it's clear that sim is not their priority for online games. when it comes to online, they're clearly not interested in challenging people or rewarding good basketball decisions.

against the CPU with sim/all star settings, this game is pretty good. online: it's casual-friendly junk. i really wish i could enjoy playing this game online, but i just can't. i wouldn't even mind playing against cheesers and casuals if the game didn't reward their bad shot selection, but it does. shot success just seems very arbitrary and not based on shot quality anymore. with the introduction of sig skills, the game rewards the abuse of over-inflated player strengths just as much as being patient and using good decision making. sure, moving the ball still works pretty well, but going 1-on-1 and jacking up bad shots all game works way better than it should (and occasionally these overly-simplified tactics are even able to beat someone who uses actual strategy and makes good decisions...that should simply not be the case for a game made by VC)

2k really needs to offer 2 modes for online quick matches: sim and casual. when you go to do a quick match online, the user should have to choose if they want a "sim quick match", or a "casual quick match." wins in sim quick matches should be worth twice as much as wins in casual quick matches...then the rankings would reward the people who choose to play sim more than those who play casual quick matches. or another option would be to simply have separate leader boards for casual and sim games. either of these options would allow casual players to still play their garbage ball act like they're good, but at the end of the day 2k would be sending a message that sim play is favored and more respected. until they do this, i won't be playing 2k basketball online, if at all. i don't know if i can justify buying a game in which the online mode is unplayable to me.

# 196 j3nkins29 @ 07/28/13 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
i'm not sure what 2k's direction is at this point, and i'm not sure what the team up selections say about it. i used to know what 2k was about, but after trying online this year, it's clear that sim is not their priority for online games. when it comes to online, they're clearly not interested in challenging people or rewarding good basketball decisions.

against the CPU with sim/all star settings, this game is pretty good. online: it's casual-friendly junk. i really wish i could enjoy playing this game online, but i just can't. i wouldn't even mind playing against cheesers and casuals if the game didn't reward their bad shot selection, but it does. shot success just seems very arbitrary and not based on shot quality anymore. with the introduction of sig skills, the game rewards the abuse of over-inflated player strengths just as much as being patient and using good decision making. sure, moving the ball still works pretty well, but going 1-on-1 and jacking up bad shots all game works way better than it should (and occasionally these overly-simplified tactics are even able to beat someone who uses actual strategy and makes good decisions...that should simply not be the case for a game made by VC)

2k really needs to offer 2 modes for online quick matches: sim and casual. when you go to do a quick match online, the user should have to choose if they want a "sim quick match", or a "casual quick match." wins in sim quick matches should be worth twice as much as wins in casual quick matches...then the rankings would reward the people who choose to play sim more than those who play casual quick matches. or another option would be to simply have separate leader boards for casual and sim games. either of these options would allow casual players to still play their garbage ball act like they're good, but at the end of the day 2k would be sending a message that sim play is favored and more respected. until they do this, i won't be playing 2k basketball online, if at all. i don't know if i can justify buying a game in which the online mode is unplayable to me.
I agree with most of what you said. Online in 2k has been terrible to me for years and I just don't play it. I play my real life friends and guys from this site, but that is about it. I have maybe played 2 online ranked matches in 2k13 and I have had it since launch. I don't know why they can't just bring the lobbies back that existed in the previous games. I would like them to have lobbies that can let you pick between sim, casual, or default, as well as difficulty. Similar to how it was before. I agree that it does suck that people are rewarded online for their cheesy play, and don't have to know basketball to be successful at the game. Hopefully 2k14 will be improved, but I am content to play offline until they make improvements, as I have been playing offline only for years now. Hopefully LD2K will come through on what he mentioned and we can get some sim guys in there early on to really help guide the direction of the game while it is still early in development.

# 197 bedwardsroy19 @ 07/28/13 08:12 PM
Genuinely humbled by anyone who recommended me. Truly appreciate the kind words.

At the end of the day we all share the same goal, the most sim basketball game the developers could possible give us. Although I can see the frustration with the length of time it might take to accomplish that goal, it is a process. Let's hope that each year the sim community gets one step closer. To think that product will be delivered overnight, or even in one year is silly.

2K has some of the best guys I've gotten to know working for them, and guys that genuinely care about their faithful. If Chris let everyone know what they are working towards, then I would bet that Chris and the team will deliver.

# 198 stillfeelme @ 07/28/13 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker

I put this in many threads I hope they listen to this. How hard is it to put a sim filter vs a casual filter for online. This is really common on many multiplayer games.

I think 2K will get implement some sort of improvement to most of the gameplay improvements people voiced the most about (blocked dunks, defense, spacing, sig shots and some improvements to physics especially to next gen).

I think some posters need to calm down acting like the Teamup community guys forced 2K13 down your throats. They were playing demo level versions. The funny thing was all the gameplay exploits came months after release. No plays no 12 minute quarters? Who would have even thought of the Euro three point cheese? All I ask the community guys to report back what they see and try to exploit all issues that were in 2K13

# 199 Leftos @ 07/29/13 12:52 AM
There's a huge change of perspective that some of you may never get to experience. I helped run The NLSC for a while, I complained about the same issues, I participated in wishlists and reported issues to Chris as much as I could, while creating modding tools to enhance the experience outside the game and doing a Podcast to keep the community up-to-date and engaged. And now I'm actually part of the dev team. I have seen the work. I have seen the developers, the designers, the producers, the executives. I have seen the direction. And it all saddens me.

No, I haven't regretted joining 2K. Quite the opposite. I gave up on 4 PhD offers to join 2K. I gave up on 4 years of guaranteed funding and work with some of the brightest minds Computer Science has to join 2K. And I haven't regretted it one bit. Being in the office for a bit over 2 weeks has shown me all I needed to know.

So what saddens me? It saddens me that you can't see things from the inside. The mindset of the people working here. The passion. What they want to do with the game, and the pressure a yearly release cycle puts on you. But the people here persevere and do a great job every year. They've had their missteps, and they recognize them, they acknowledge them, they do all they can to get better.

You can't satisfy all the people all the time. And some of you will consider what I'm saying vague ***-kissing about my current colleagues and employers. The few of you that really know me, know what camp I'm coming from, and what would excite me so much as far as work goes, may get a renewed hope for the franchise, may just get that bit more excited. And that's all worth it.

I hope as the preview season progresses and you find out what's in store, you can all share my excitement. And if after all you don't, which I pretty much doubt, Chris, Ronnie, me, and many other guys that may not post that much, will be around to listen to you.

We tend to ignore what the development process is like. We tend to forget how many community requests 2K13 addressed once we notice the things that bother us in this year's game. That's the way it goes. But here it is from an inside source: 2K listens. And 2K doesn't usually hire people for whom basketball video games are merely another job, another stint in the game industry. It looks for passion and talent. And that's something that's apparent no matter who you talk to here at the Novato office.

There's a lot of very cool stuff coming. Believe me or not, that's up to you. And that's as much as I can say. I hope the Team-Up members communicate that when they come back and share with you what we've shown them.

# 200 alabamarob @ 07/29/13 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
There's a huge change of perspective that some of you may never get to experience. I helped run The NLSC for a while, I complained about the same issues, I participated in wishlists and reported issues to Chris as much as I could, while creating modding tools to enhance the experience outside the game and doing a Podcast to keep the community up-to-date and engaged. And now I'm actually part of the dev team. I have seen the work. I have seen the developers, the designers, the producers, the executives. I have seen the direction. And it all saddens me.

No, I haven't regretted joining 2K. Quite the opposite. I gave up on 4 PhD offers to join 2K. I gave up on 4 years of guaranteed funding and work with some of the brightest minds Computer Science has to join 2K. And I haven't regretted it one bit. Being in the office for a bit over 2 weeks has shown me all I needed to know.

So what saddens me? It saddens me that you can't see things from the inside. The mindset of the people working here. The passion. What they want to do with the game, and the pressure a yearly release cycle puts on you. But the people here persevere and do a great job every year. They've had their missteps, and they recognize them, they acknowledge them, they do all they can to get better.

You can't satisfy all the people all the time. And some of you will consider what I'm saying vague ***-kissing about my current colleagues and employers. The few of you that really know me, know what camp I'm coming from, and what would excite me so much as far as work goes, may get a renewed hope for the franchise, may just get that bit more excited. And that's all worth it.

I hope as the preview season progresses and you find out what's in store, you can all share my excitement. And if after all you don't, which I pretty much doubt, Chris, Ronnie, me, and many other guys that may not post that much, will be around to listen to you.

We tend to ignore what the development process is like. We tend to forget how many community requests 2K13 addressed once we notice the things that bother us in this year's game. That's the way it goes. But here it is from an inside source: 2K listens. And 2K doesn't usually hire people for whom basketball video games are merely another job, another stint in the game industry. It looks for passion and talent. And that's something that's apparent no matter who you talk to here at the Novato office.

There's a lot of very cool stuff coming. Believe me or not, that's up to you. And that's as much as I can say. I hope the Team-Up members communicate that when they come back and share with you what we've shown them.

Anyone who is or has ever been a professional, artist, or planner/organizer of a large event/production should understand that what is seen is not always an indication of what was does done to show what was seen. Therefore, I would agree that 2k probably gives maximum effort in making the game "they" want. However, I do think that a "lay" person can still see a final product and make an objective comment on the creators goal. My issue with 2k13 is not that it the game lacks depth and options, but that its goal was not to make the game more realistic but more playable.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.