Home
Madden NFL 25 News Post

This wasn't the 25th Anniversary Electronic Arts Execs had planned on.

After three days of deliberations, a jury in the U.S. District Court ruled in favor of Robin Antonick, the original designer and developer of Madden NFL Football awarding him a figure in the range of $11 million per year.

This victory also gives Antonick the ability to pursue the same claims against EA for Madden NFL games released after 1996.

In the case, Antonick Alleges EA signed a series of publishing and development contracts with him which culminated in a 1986 agreement which requires EA to pay Antonick royalties on any derivative works of the original EA Madden game.

“This is a tremendous victory,” said Rob Carey, partner at Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro LLP and one of Antonick’s attorneys. “In many ways, this trial was a test of each party’s version of events. The jury uniformly rejected the idea that this game was developed without Robin’s work. It is, if nothing, a good omen for the next phase of the litigation.”

If that law firm sounds familiar, they are also the firm in charge of the Ed O'Bannon suit which alleges EA and the NCAA owe student athletes royalties for use of their licenses and is the reason the NCAA and EA are no longer business partners.

The next phase of the trial will be held to determine if they owe Antonick royalties for all Madden games released since 1997, a sum which could be far bigger than this one.

Game: Madden NFL 25Reader Score: 5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 54 - View All
Madden NFL 25 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Rules @ 07/28/13 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1gg Randall
Wow!!! He's getting paid.
Yep all because EA hasn't changed anything from 1996

# 22 chronoxiong @ 07/28/13 07:21 PM
Good for the guy. He deserved to get paid. I think EA's practices needs to change so all these lawsuits going against them is good news so they can try to improve on their games and for them to stop getting the NFL license for themselves. Let 2K get a crack at it! I miss their games!

# 23 lord_mike @ 07/29/13 11:11 PM
I find it amazing that they are still using the same code from the original Madden Football 25 years ago. I'm lucky enough to have owned and played the game when it came out, and it was really, really good at the time. The graphics obviously pale to today's standards, but the gameplay was as good or better than current offerings, and that was on an Apple II. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that they are using the same code in the modern game--it was reliable and it worked. Good job, Antonick!

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.