Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

2K Sports has revealed a new blocking system in NBA 2K14, which will also include the ability to block dunks.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 181 oxide @ 08/11/13 06:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but i could have sworn I used to be able to block dunks in some NBA 2k game??? I remember vividly player in the post getting rejected??

# 182 hear me now @ 08/11/13 07:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReXjhVBG8S0
That song should be in the game.

# 183 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/11/13 11:16 PM
I'll say this-- I guarantee if this happened with a Posterizer, 90% of y'all would be cryin like little girls.

But then y'all tryin to say that a rock-paper-scissors system is a terrible idea? FOH.

# 184 Jrocc23 @ 08/11/13 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
I'll say this-- I guarantee if this happened with a Posterizer, 90% of y'all would be cryin like little girls.

But then y'all tryin to say that a rock-paper-scissors system is a terrible idea? FOH.
See? It is possible. Mostly everyone in here disagreed with you about it being impossible for someone that's not an Eraser to block a Posterizers dunk.

Mostly everyone is saying that it should rarely happen, but it still should have that possibility factor, especially if the timing and position is right. Don't you agree with that after the vid you just posted?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

# 185 Jrocc23 @ 08/11/13 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hear me now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReXjhVBG8S0
That song should be in the game.
Man, this song reminds me too much of the good ole NBA Street (Guessing Volume 2).

# 186 shayellis @ 08/12/13 03:04 AM
What I think everyone is forgetting or just unaware of is that in nba 2k13 you cant block any shot unless it leaves the offensive players hand or its a canned animation block. If u can block dunks in 2k14 but cant block anything else before it leaves the offensive players hand, that would be very unrealistic

# 187 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/12/13 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocc23
See? It is possible. Mostly everyone in here disagreed with you about it being impossible for someone that's not an Eraser to block a Posterizers dunk.

Mostly everyone is saying that it should rarely happen, but it still should have that possibility factor, especially if the timing and position is right. Don't you agree with that after the vid you just posted?
Who said it was impossible? I said in the game it should be impossible. A lot of things that NBA players do in real life aren't possible in 2K.

Like I said, let Ginobili or somebody block a Dwight Howard dunk, and see if people don't start girlin and stuff.

# 188 mango_prom @ 08/12/13 07:52 AM
Quote:
Who said it was impossible? I said in the game it should be impossible.
Could you maybe explain why exactly it should be impossible? I mean right now, posterizer/eraser have no effect on dunk/block success whatsoever, so you'd basically introduce an additional modifier to aready existing ratings (dunk/block). Why would you do that? Could't the same be achieved by scaling attributes in a way that maxed out dunk/vertical with flashy dunk packages have this effect already? So why the additional gimmick?

# 189 hear me now @ 08/12/13 07:55 AM
Quote:
Who said it was impossible? I said in the game it should be impossible. A lot of things that NBA players do in real life aren't possible in 2K.

Like I said, let Ginobili or somebody block a Dwight Howard dunk, and see if people don't start girlin and stuff.
If a player can jump high enough and time it right,then he should be able to block it.

# 190 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/12/13 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
Could you maybe explain why exactly it should be impossible? I mean right now, posterizer/eraser have no effect on dunk/block success whatsoever, so you'd basically introduce an additional modifier to aready existing ratings (dunk/block). Why would you do that? Could't the same be achieved by scaling attributes in a way that maxed out dunk/vertical with flashy dunk packages have this effect already? So why the additional gimmick?
I'm with you on the opinion that ratings and tendencies should be able to accomplish what the Signature Skills do, but as long as they're in, this would be a nice dichotomy to have.

# 191 mango_prom @ 08/12/13 08:16 AM
Quote:
I'm with you on the opinion that ratings and tendencies should be able to accomplish what the Signature Skills do, but as long as they're in, this would be a nice dichotomy to have.
I get your point. But in my opinion this would be a step into the wrong direction. Just imagine how easy it would be to exploit "posterizers" if there's no counter sig skill player on the opposing team. It's bad enought right now.
What I'd like is to use "sig skills" more like labels to describe a player's abilities when they have certain combinations of attributes. You know, like Sega does in Football Manager where you can highlight key attributes for specific roles. The same way, high block/def awareness ratings could trigger "Eraser" being shown in the player's profile, simply to show that's his strength, but without changing any in game rating.

# 192 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/12/13 08:21 AM
Quote:
Just imagine how easy it would be to exploit "posterizers" if there's no counter sig skill player on the opposing team
There is a counter.

Cut the player off before he gets to the rim.

# 193 Jrocc23 @ 08/12/13 08:42 AM
Quote:

I guess you'll never get it. I'm confident 2K is smart enough to not make it that way.

# 194 Sundown @ 08/12/13 10:22 AM
Quote:

If the block system was properly implemented, this wouldn't happen in the first place, or would be extremely rare.

You don't need the binary hack you're proposing that leads to more potential problems.

Harrison Barnes is definitely worthy of the Posterizer sig. He had several last year, including one that was at the top of the NBA dunk ladder (and should have stayed there). Yet, I remember him being blocked on an attempt by a big like Splitter.

Impossible-to-block-on-off-Posterizer-Eraser-hack is a terrible idea. Let it go. A well-tuned block system that Posterizer/Eraser modifies is a much better solution.

# 195 mango_prom @ 08/12/13 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
If the block system was properly implemented, this wouldn't happen in the first place, or would be extremely rare.

You don't need the binary hack you're proposing that leads to more potential problems.

Harrison Barnes is definitely worthy of the Posterizer sig. He had several last year, including one that was at the top of the NBA dunk ladder (and should have stayed there). Yet, I remember him being blocked on an attempt by a big like Splitter.

Impossible-to-block-on-off-Posterizer-Eraser-hack is a terrible idea. Let it go. A well-tuned block system that Posterizer/Eraser modifies is a much better solution.
Again, why? What's the benefit you can't achieve with block/dunk ratings, too?

# 196 Sundown @ 08/12/13 10:39 AM
Quote:
Again, why? What's the benefit you can't achieve with block/dunk ratings, too?
Again, like Da Czar said, Posterizer/Eraser give momentum boosts that normal ratings don't. I also like that just because someone has a high dunk rating, it doesn't mean he tends to dunk ON people, so high dunk can be used for dunk style and the ease with which they trigger.

There are flashy dunkers that don't dunk that much on people. And there are guys who posterize all the time but whose dunks aren't *that* flashy or difficult (Harrison Barnes for instance).

I'm fine with a new contact dunks rating and for Posterizer to only be for the momentum boosts certain guys with reputations get. I'm for anything that adds more nuance and aren't video-gamey on-off ratings.

Quote:
What you're proposing isn't a rock-papers-scissors system. There's no circularity in the winner-loser relationships.

What you're actually proposing is for Posterizers and Erasers to be scissors and everyone else be paper.

# 197 mango_prom @ 08/12/13 10:41 AM
Quote:
Again, like Da Czar said, Posterizer/Eraser give momentum boosts that normal ratings don't.
Yeah, was referring to the sig skills modifying the block system thing. Momentum boosts would be fine for me if we can turn then off if we want to. Hell, in FIFA 98 you could turn the AI catch up logic off if you want to. What is 2k stopping from that?

# 198 Sundown @ 08/12/13 10:43 AM
Quote:
Yeah, was referring to the sig skills modifying the block system thing. Momentum boosts would be fine for me if we can turn then off if we want to. Hell, in FIFA 98 you could turn the AI catch up logic off if you want to. What is 2k stopping from that?
I do like decoupling dunk-ons from dunk ratings though. Maybe it should be a tendency.

# 199 mango_prom @ 08/12/13 10:53 AM
Quote:
I do like decoupling dunk-ons from dunk ratings though. Maybe it should be a tendency.
I like that. Something like a "finish strong" tendency, tied to specific dunk packages maybe.

# 200 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/12/13 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocc23
I guess you'll never get it. I'm confident 2K is smart enough to not make it that way.
People complain about worse stuff in 2K13. The physics, certain "cheese exploits," horrible violation calls by the in-game referees, etc.

Come on, man. You have to know that 2K's default sliders, which most people play on, are not great. So people who play online are gonna have a whole bunch of BS happen, and I wouldn't put it past them to make the blocking overpowered this year. That's why I suggested this.

Quote:
Barnes definitely does not deserve Posterizer. Posterizers are players who dunk on people REGULARLY. He didn't even dunk period once a game.

Like I said, there's maybe three or four true Posterizers in the NBA today, unless I forgot someone. It's not gonna (or it shouldn't) be given out like free candy.

Quote:
And there are guys who posterize all the time but whose dunks aren't *that* flashy or difficult (Harrison Barnes for instance).
Dude, stop. Barnes did not posterize people "all the time" in 2013.

Quote:
What you're actually proposing is for Posterizers and Erasers to be scissors and everyone else be paper.
That doesn't make sense, because most other sig skills have nothing to do with Posterizer or Eraser.

Quote:
I like that. Something like a "finish strong" tendency, tied to specific dunk packages maybe.
There IS an "Attempt Dunk" tendency. I gave Durant like a 90, whereas I gave LeBron around 75 I think.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.