Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

2K Sports has revealed a new blocking system in NBA 2K14, which will also include the ability to block dunks.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 DonWuan @ 08/07/13 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom
in nba 2k12 you can block dunk
in nba 2k13 you can't block dunk
in nba 2k14 you can block dunk ( new feature)
2k12 blocks were with elows and chins. 2k14 will now use hands to blow.

I do think these will be canned if activated with a button press.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

# 122 daveberg @ 08/07/13 04:01 AM
I fear we'll be getting block stat lines in double figures every game now. A whole new system dedicated to just blocked shots? Hmmm. I'm not optimistic.

Good news for some, I guess. Never really bothered me so much as It's only online that seems to be a dunkfest.

Now - when are we due more updates on 2k14?

# 123 Goffs @ 08/07/13 05:56 AM
I understand the concerns about this and rightly so due to 2k going overboard in the past. But c'mon guys lets just wait and play it ourselves and not listen to these youtube hype machines. Don't forget about 2k tuning the game through the year after release.....so there's that...

# 124 garnettfan @ 08/07/13 06:54 AM
Can't believe y'all giving the praises on something that should be in the game wow I hate to say this but 2k has fallen

# 125 garnettfan @ 08/07/13 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
Will canned-animated dunks be removed???? That's news to me...that would get me on the hype train.
Think you for asking a real ? Why are people excited about some that should be in the game anyway

# 126 iClutch @ 08/07/13 09:18 AM
Good job 2K. Thanks for adding that back in. You guys will soon realize how irrelevant this feature is come October, lol.

# 127 blues rocker @ 08/07/13 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Good call. My brother and I have a bad habit recently of pausing the game and replaying all the times our right handed player had a clear path to the backboard but instead opted to stop their momentum, go completely out of their way, attempt a layup or dunk at the front of the rim, with the off hand, right into the teeth of the waiting defense.

That said, I still think there's a time and a place for flashy dunks in the half court, just not if they're obviously going to lead to an easy block. For instance, if a prime Vince ever made a video game appearance, I wouldn't want to be unable to pull this off just because there's defenders waiting:

unfortunately, i don't know that 2k has the technology/AI to make players "aware" enough to know when they can pull off a flashy dunk in traffic and when they can't. i'd rather them just play it safe for now and have simple dunks in traffic...i'd rather they just wait until they have good enough AI to implement "scenario-specific" dunk animations.

as of now, it seems that the dunker can only have awareness of one defender at a time...so if there are multiple defenders around, the dunk animation only takes into account the "primary" defender and ignores the other 2 defenders who are just as close and just as capable of blocking it.

# 128 blues rocker @ 08/07/13 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
If I recall...

up = flashy
back = reverse
forward = straight dunk (regular)
down = power
spinning the stick will yield a 360 dunk

Am I right on this? To this day I still press it accordingly and I don't know why because the dunks are pretty much context now.
even if they brought back dunk control, the problem for me is that i have switched to exclusively using the shot button for all dunks, layups and jump shots (as i think many people have)...so 2k better have "contextually smart" dunk animations for us shot button users.

# 129 VDusen04 @ 08/07/13 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Great news...very glad to hear there's a new blocking system...that's the important thing

Too much importance was put on the actual idea of blocking a dunk, which doesn't happen often IRL, rather than the real problem which was the lack of contact in the air, uninterruptible animations...

Looks good though!
Truth. For me, there were a series of breakdowns that felt out of my defensive control in any given play in NBA 2K13. That I could not block a dunk was just the icing on the cake. Granted, I am thankful to have that dunk-blocking ability back, but the overall problem could also be mitigated by developing an ability for a user-controlled defender to not be electronic-footballed around by a user-controlled offensive player hellbent on getting to the basket.

The memories of reading my opponent's next move on the perimeter, beating him to a spot, having his progress impeded temporarily as he runs in place against my defender's body, watching him suddenly glitch around me, storm into the paint, disregard my perfectly positioned shotblocker, then elevate for an unblockable monster jam (that I'd try to jump and block anyway, most often resulting in a three point play), will live on forever.

# 130 takeoff2410 @ 08/07/13 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsBalla 9
Blocked dunks rarely happen in the NBA maybe once or twice a game at the most. So hopefully this new feature isn't overpowered because if so it will be even more Dwight users online camping in the lane....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
One or Twice a game is not rare. There is a blocked dunk in the espn top ten like every other day

# 131 mvb34 @ 08/07/13 12:25 PM
Will fouls be called on attempting to block dunks and are they missed dunks or is it either he maked the dunk or its blocked?

# 132 quehouston @ 08/07/13 01:05 PM
The addition of blocked dunks are okay, I guess. But the real issue wasn't the fact that you couldn't block dunks, but the lack of contact in the paint, and the abundance of dunks in the paint.

Blocked dunks are rare in the NBA, simply because people getting dunked on, or attempting to dunk on someone is rare.

I feel like 2k is using this "new" feature, as a crutch to balance out current paint issues that they aren't focusing on in 2k14, like turbo dunk animations and the lack of contact before the takeoff.

In my opinion, the blocked dunks in 2k14 are gonna play a similar role as the missed dunks in 2k13. Safety nets to balance out the issues in the paint.

Bet we'll see though.

And another question: Are these blocks canned animations?

# 133 LD2k @ 08/07/13 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quehouston
And another question: Are these blocks canned animations?
Nope.

Different points on which you can block dunks. Be smart about it and you're rewarded.

# 134 quehouston @ 08/07/13 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD2k
Nope.

Different points on which you can block dunks. Be smart about it and you're rewarded.
Sounds good LD

# 135 black_mamba24 @ 08/07/13 04:12 PM
You guys(Steve you're okay) need to stop calling this new blocking system a "feature". The third definition of feature in the Merriam-Webster dictionary is , "a prominent part or characteristic". I do not believe that 2k is going to market their entire game based on a new blocking system. I quote Ronnie "
A tiny bit of #NBA2K14 gameplay news will be released tomorrow.
— Ronnie 2K 2K14 (@Ronnie2K) August 6, 2013
"
A TINY BIT of news. I'm sure there is much more coming. 2k is
Oh, and LD2k asked you to stop misquoting him and Ronnie. Calling it a feature is misquoting them.

# 136 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/07/13 04:17 PM
You can't use a dictionary definition to tell someone what they mean when they use a certain word. That's ridiculous and, quite frankly, embarrassing.

# 137 yungsta404 @ 08/07/13 04:27 PM
hopefully next they put in a new rebounding system.

# 138 IDBall @ 08/07/13 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungsta404
hopefully next they put in a new rebounding system.
Agreed. Even when boxing out, the offensive rebounding by the CPU was ridiculous

# 139 BallIsLife2 @ 08/07/13 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
You can't use a dictionary definition to tell someone what they mean when they use a certain word. That's ridiculous and, quite frankly, embarrassing.
WHAT.

That's ridiculous. You have every right to tell them the definition of a word if you believe it was used improperly.

# 140 LD2k @ 08/07/13 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.