Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

2K Sports has revealed a new blocking system in NBA 2K14, which will also include the ability to block dunks.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 spankdatazz22 @ 08/10/13 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward13
How can they remove blocks from the game and then bring them back attached to a marketing scheme? 2K sports has gone WAY to mainstream and have little concern with making a COMPLETE simulation game, they are simply giving to eventually take away smh It's not right at all!
As has already been said - they didn't remove blocks from the game, and it's unfortunate some of you insist on trying to create that perception. If anything 2K13 improved on the armpit/elbow blocks so many of you complained about in 2K12.

Another crying point in the forums was the "please remove the canned animations/canimations" push because so many are focused on technology buzzwords around here - which they tried to comply with. The inability to block dunks - not all blocks, as you're trying to imply, was likely a side effect of no longer having as many preset animations play out. Now that they try to let the community they're addressing a concern the community collective had with blocks in 2K13, you try to imply they're "marketing blocks as something new" when they really aren't. As they've said, it's an improvement on what they were doing previously.

If they said nothing, there would be all types of freaking out concerns fromt he community: "They're not saying they addressed [whatever issue] - may as well assume they didn't/they suck/blah blah blah". They let you know they tried to address a concern so some flip it the opposite way, just so long as it's perceived as a negative. It would seem pretty silly to improve blocks, but intentionally remove the ability to block a dunk.

# 162 thedream2k13 @ 08/10/13 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
As has already been said - they didn't remove blocks from the game, and it's unfortunate some of you insist on trying to create that perception. If anything 2K13 improved on the armpit/elbow blocks so many of you complained about in 2K12.

Another crying point in the forums was the "please remove the canned animations/canimations" push because so many are focused on technology buzzwords around here - which they tried to comply with. The inability to block dunks - not all blocks, as you're trying to imply, was likely a side effect of no longer having as many preset animations play out. Now that they try to let the community they're addressing a concern the community collective had with blocks in 2K13, you try to imply they're "marketing blocks as something new" when they really aren't. As they've said, it's an improvement on what they were doing previously.

If they said nothing, there would be all types of freaking out concerns fromt he community: "They're not saying they addressed [whatever issue] - may as well assume they didn't/they suck/blah blah blah". They let you know they tried to address a concern so some flip it the opposite way, just so long as it's perceived as a negative. It would seem pretty silly to improve blocks, but intentionally remove the ability to block a dunk.
Bottom line is 2k needs to stop listening to "the community" for once and just concentrate on making the most realistic game they can

# 163 thedream2k13 @ 08/10/13 03:03 PM
Quote:

you cant improve on something that was missing from the last game

# 164 Da_Czar @ 08/10/13 06:40 PM
Quote:

What. Sound reason and understanding. THank goodness for the old heads around here. LOL SHEESH

# 165 Da_Czar @ 08/10/13 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
Bottom line is 2k needs to stop listening to "the community" for once and just concentrate on making the most realistic game they can
You been saying this for a minute now Dream. I am starting to consider leaning in your direction.

# 166 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/11/13 03:44 AM
My friend hit me with this feedback:

Based on the new shot-blocking engine, since blocked dunks are a big part of it, there should be a dichotomy between Posterizers and Erasers, in that a Posterizer's dunk cannot be blocked by anyone but an Eraser (with the exception of blocks from behind).

I love the idea.

# 167 Jrocc23 @ 08/11/13 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
My friend hit me with this feedback:

Based on the new shot-blocking engine, since blocked dunks are a big part of it, there should be a dichotomy between Posterizers and Erasers, in that a Posterizer's dunk cannot be blocked by anyone but an Eraser (with the exception of blocks from behind).

I love the idea.
I thinks it's a terrible idea. Maybe raise the chance of the Eraser blocking it. I would not like just because someone is a Posterizer, it's impossible to block their shots unless you have an Eraser SS. It's not realistic.

Players in the NBA that would be considered "Posterizers" have gotten blocked by players that wouldn't be considered an "Eraser".

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

# 168 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/11/13 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocc23
Players in the NBA that would be considered "Posterizers" have gotten blocked by players that wouldn't be considered an "Eraser".
Such as who?

# 169 Jrocc23 @ 08/11/13 04:56 AM
Quote:
Such as who?
This idea is silly. You basically telling me it's impossible for a "Posterizer" to get blocked by someone in the NBA not labeled a "Eraser"? Like its a someone should have a 0% chance?

Man, it's so many ways I can go w/ this. Say 2K keeps the limit to 5 SS's. Lets look at LeBron. He doesn't have "Eraser", you telling me every person in the NBA should just posterize LeBron because he don't have that SS? It's other players that don't have that SS that could easily have it.

Ok, videos even though I shouldn't need it because its common sense.

Turiaf blocking Kobe's dunk. Knowing the 2K insider, in 2009, could have made Kobe a "Posterizer". So in 2K this definitely shouldn't happen.

Hickson blocking the poster boy himself, Blake Griffin. Hickson isn't a "Eraser".

Okafor blocks Stoudemires dunk. Okafor isn't an "Eraser" in 2K13 and Stoudemire is a "Posterizer".

Bledsoe blocking JR Smith. You telling me this cannot possibly happen to a "Posterizer"? I believe JR Smith could be labeled a "Posterizer" by the 2K insider. Even though he isn't, JR Smith is close to that and is getting blocked by a 6'1" PG

Faried blocking Westbrook. Faried currently doesn't have "Eraser" (which he should imo), cannot block a "Posterizers" dunk because he doesn't have the SS? Westbrook is one of the most athletic players in the NBA, he could put you on a poster easily but he doesn't have, just like LeBron doesn't but we both know they are.

Tim Duncan blocks Blake Griffin. Timmy currently isn't labeled an "Eraser".

Haslem blocks Kobe. In 2008, Kobe could've gotten the "Posterizer" but Haslem blocked his dunk and never been an "Eraser".

Just look for yourself and I am sure many more happened over NBA history. Saying it should be impossible is asinine.

Like he said:

# 170 yungsta404 @ 08/11/13 05:35 AM
eraser is just a type of shot blocker that tries to spike the ball as hard as possible and send it to the 5th row instead of keeping it inbounds. Guys like javale mcgee and deandre jordan are notorious for doing that.

They are not necessarily better blockers than non eraser shot blockers like a tim duncan or a bill russell who block shots and try to keep it inbounds and tip it to a teammate. They are just flashier.

Eraser to shot blocking is the equivalent of highlight reel to dunking so it doesnt make sense to only give erasers the ability to block posterizers.

# 171 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/11/13 06:11 AM
Lets look at LeBron. He doesn't have "Eraser", you telling me every person in the NBA should just posterize LeBron because he don't have that SS?

Since when are the only two options here "Block dunk" and "Get posterized"? FOH.

Turiaf blocking Kobe's dunk. Knowing the 2K insider, in 2009, could have made Kobe a "Posterizer". So in 2K this definitely shouldn't happen.

Stop. Just stop. Kobe was never a posterizer.

Faried blocking Westbrook. Faried currently doesn't have "Eraser" (which he should imo), cannot block a "Posterizers" dunk because he doesn't have the SS? Westbrook is one of the most athletic players in the NBA, he could put you on a poster easily but he doesn't have, just like LeBron doesn't but we both know they are.

Westbrook is definitely not a posterizer. There are only a few in the league-- Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant, maybe Dwight Howard if he returns to form, and that's pretty much it. There's no way you can argue anybody else except maybe healthy Derrick Rose.

Bledsoe blocking JR Smith. You telling me this cannot possibly happen to a "Posterizer"? I believe JR Smith could be labeled a "Posterizer" by the 2K insider. Even though he isn't, JR Smith is close to that and is getting blocked by a 6'1" PG

You're just playin yourself now. JR Smith is not an amazing in-game dunker. He only dunked period 30 times in 80 games last year. I'll be damned if he's a posterizer.

In 2008, Kobe could've gotten the "Posterizer"

Stop. He's not Vince Carter. He's not even LeBron James, who I don't think should have Posterizer, since he doesn't look to dunk over people consistently. He finishes layups through contact.

Tim Duncan blocks Blake Griffin. Timmy currently is labeled an "Eraser".

Then what's your point?

Okafor blocks Stoudemires dunk. Okafor isn't an "Eraser" in 2K13 and Stoudemire is a "Posterizer".

Too bad that footage ain't from 2013.

Hickson blocking the poster boy himself, Blake Griffin. Hickson isn't a "Eraser".

Congratulations. You found one anomaly. Anyone who knows logic would realize that a single outlier doesn't make a formula completely inaccurate.

Just look for yourself and I am sure many more happened over NBA history. Saying it should be impossible is asinine.

Know what else is impossible? Knocking a player down by setting a screen if you don't have "Brick Wall." smfh 2K. jrocc says step ya game up and stop wit that "impossible" ish.

They are not necessarily better blockers than non eraser shot blockers like a tim duncan or a bill russell who block shots and try to keep it inbounds and tip it to a teammate. They are just flashier.

It's pretty hard to be a "flashy" shot-blocker. Eraser is more about giving the shot-blocker's team momentum and taking momentum from the other team by making emphatic blocks that send a message, which Russell and Duncan did very often. I'd give both of them Eraser in a heartbeat.

# 172 alabamarob @ 08/11/13 06:12 AM
The other half of blocking dunks is calling fouls and recognizing in air contact. If the new game can register a player hacking another mid air and allowing that hack to prevent a dunk or layup animation from playing out as if no contact has occured the the new blocking system will be great. When you swing for a block it should either be a whif if the defender touches nothing, a block if the defender only gets ball, and a hack animation if the defender hits the arms/head/ body of the offensive player. One of 2ks legacy issues is the lack of fouls an inability to register the defenders arm and hand contacting the offensive players body. That is why 2k has limited fouls and to many dunks. The dunks, lack of fouls, and high pip all revolve around this legacy issue.

# 173 mango_prom @ 08/11/13 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungsta404
eraser is just a type of shot blocker that tries to spike the ball as hard as possible and send it to the 5th row instead of keeping it inbounds. Guys like javale mcgee and deandre jordan are notorious for doing that.
It's not even that. The eraser skill only has an effect after a block. It decreases the attributes of the guy who got rejected. The same with posterizer, which boosts the ratings of teammates after the dunk. So I don't see why we need some eraser/posterizer thing in 2k14. Don't we have enough attributes to account for that already? If a player has high defensive awarenes, blocking, and maybe vertical and strength, he should be an "eraser" by definition. No need for these childish gimmicks imo.
The same with dunks.
If you have dunk/vertical maxed out in addition to flashy dunk packages, this will make you "posterize" defenders quite often. So what do we even need those sig skills for if the rating system works as it should?

# 174 Sundown @ 08/11/13 07:58 AM
Making a Posterizer's dunk unblockable even if they're trying to dunk on a 7 footer with high block rating, good timing and position but no sig skill is dumb

Increasing the likelihood of an eraser blocking a dunk is good.

Decreasing the likelihood of a Posterizer getting their dunk blocked is good.

Binary in off impossible to block sig skills are dumb.

# 175 mango_prom @ 08/11/13 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Making a Posterizer's dunk unblockable even if they're trying to dunk on a 7 footer with high block rating, good timing and position but no sig skill is dumb

Increasing the likelihood of an eraser blocking a dunk is good.

Decreasing the likelihood of a Posterizer getting their dunk blocked is good.

Binary in off impossible to block sig skills are dumb.
But there are dunk and block ratings already in the game. So why would you need these sig skills at all? Is there anything this would add to the game we can't reproduce with already existing ratings and animation packages?

# 176 Da_Czar @ 08/11/13 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
But there are dunk and block ratings already in the game. So why would you need these sig skills at all? Is there anything this would add to the game we can't reproduce with already existing ratings and animation packages?
You would miss the teammate/stamina boosts that you get when the special skill guy does his thing.

Also for things like chasedown the boosts are situational. So that a guy doesnt have boosted speed and block ratings all game only when and where its nexessary to have a higher % chance of actually seeing tha chasedown.

I know you were referring to that particilar one but it was the best example I could think of to answer your question of if this could be accomplished without abilities.

# 177 iLLosophy @ 08/11/13 09:20 AM
Does this new blocking system imply a new shooting foul/mid-air contact system?

# 178 Jrocc23 @ 08/11/13 11:19 AM
Quote:
Since when are the only two options here "Block dunk" and "Get posterized"? FOH.
Yes, the two options most likely come down to a "blocked dunk" or what you are saying, since he's not an "Eraser" it's impossible to block the dunk so he gets "posterized". He also could foul him and hope he misses. But you are saying, if anyone (besides an Eraser) jumps to block a posterizers dunk, they should automatically be unsuccessful lol. Like I was saying, you telling me that it would be impossible for LeBron to block anyone that has Posterizer? Durant, Hakim Warrick and all those guys should either be fouled or dunk on LeBron because someone that could be deserving doesn't have it. Sounds so dumb and arcadey.

Quote:
Westbrook is definitely not a posterizer. There are only a few in the league-- Blake Griffin, Kevin Durant, maybe Dwight Howard if he returns to form, and that's pretty much it. There's no way you can argue anybody else except maybe healthy Derrick Rose.
You can't argue Westbrook who is the same or maybe even more athletic than a healthy Derrick Rose? That's another problem, Eraser and Posterizer SS's could be argued. Adding that idea to some people who could easily be a posterizer or Eraser would be silly. 2K has a lot more than 3 and that would be more players dunks you cannot block. Like Josh Smith, Amare Stoudemire, McGee, Derrick Williams etc. And other players who could easily have it like Iguodala, JR Smith, Shannon Brown etc. Since you say Kevin Durant someone who currently isn't a posterizer. Here's a video since you think he could easily be one:

Kevin Durant, one of the guys you say thats a posterizer blocked by Jason Smith. Smith currently has like a 58 blocking rating. I guess if KD had the SS posterizer, this would have never happened lol.

Quote:
You're just playin yourself now. JR Smith is not an amazing in-game dunker. He only dunked period 30 times in 80 games last year. I'll be damned if he's a posterizer.
You're missing the point. And JR Smith could be a posterizer imo. JR Smith is close to being one and he is here getting his shot blocked by a 6'1" PG. You're telling me that there's no way possible someone that's a posterizer cannot be blocked by a PF or C that's close to 7' that had great position and timing? It should be rare, but never happen? C'mon lol. Just answer my question, do you believe it's impossible for someone that's a "Posterizer" to be blocked by someone that's not really an emphatic shot blocker?

Quote:
Too bad that footage ain't from 2013.
What's your point? Stoudemire was easily one of the best posterizers in Phoenix. I am sure Emeka Okafor would have still only had Scapper and Bruiser.

Quote:
Congratulations. You found one anomaly. Anyone who knows logic would realize that a single outlier doesn't make a formula completely inaccurate.
See Tim Duncan again. I am telling you that it's possible. You're saying that a person w/ the Posterizer SS shouldn't be able to be blocked at all, unless the other guy has an Eraser SS. Just admit, your "formula" is unrealistic.

Quote:
Then what's your point?
I am doing most of this from my phone. So I made a mistake. 2K13 does not have Tim Duncan as an "Eraser". So should Timmy just be punched on by Blake Griffin?

Quote:
Know what else is impossible? Knocking a player down by setting a screen if you don't have "Brick Wall." smfh 2K. jrocc says step ya game up and stop wit that "impossible" ish.
Exactly. I would have a much bigger problem with your idea, than 2K separating great screen setters.*Even though, it's possible for other screeners to knock someone down.

Quote:
It's pretty hard to be a "flashy" shot-blocker. Eraser is more about giving the shot-blocker's team momentum and taking momentum from the other team by making emphatic blocks that send a message, which Russell and Duncan did very often. I'd give both of them Eraser in a heartbeat.
You would give Duncan eraser in 2012? It's debatable. But that's my point, some players doesn't have Eraser like Duncan. So in 2K, if Tim tried that block, he would have most likley got dunked on because he doesn't have that SS and Blake has Posterizer. FOH.

# 179 stillfeelme @ 08/11/13 12:45 PM
There should be no rules for only an eraser can block a posterizer. That's just silly. Blocks seem like they are going to be about timing and rating.

Eraser
Example Players: Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, Serge Ibaka
A player with this skill is known for protecting the rim with emphatic, crowd pleasing blocks. When an Eraser swats a shot, he boosts the energy of his teammates and decreases the shooting attributes (up to six points) of the player he blocked for up to a minute and a half.

Posterizer
Example Players: Blake Griffin, Josh Smith, Hakim Warrick
A player with this skill will often look to dunk on defenders when attempting a dunk in traffic. To get this skill to trigger there must be a defender in the vicinity. To force big-time contact dunks, his stamina must be above 80. Once the dunk completes, his teammates will be given a temporary energy boost.

# 180 NvME @ 08/11/13 04:16 PM
Quote:
Stop. Just stop. Kobe was never a posterizer.
How old are you?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.