Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Check out the new features for NBA 2K14.

Highlight Features:
  • Crews - The single-most requested game mode is back! Face off against opposing crews online using your MyPLAYER. Create your logo and face off in 5v5 battles with other crews featuring leaderboards and stats. (PS3 & Xbox 360 only)
  • Euroleague - Exclusive to NBA 2K14 - play with 14 of the top European teams, featuring authentic uniforms and players.
  • Dynamic Living Rosters® powered by Stats, Inc. - Player attributes and tendencies automatically update daily to reflect true life hot and cold streaks. Now, each game played in the NBA can have an effect on your game.
  • King James Soundtrack - Featuring artists and tracks hand-picked by LeBron James, including JAY Z, Eminem, The Black Keys, Daft Punk, and many more.
  • MyTEAM - Back and better than ever, with new player modes, multi and single player tournaments, and much more. (PS3 & Xbox 360 only)

Key Gameplay Features:
  • Pro Stick™ – Throw down show-stopping moves, pull off intricate shots, and toss flashy no-look passes with deadly accuracy with Pro Stick control. Easily the most intuitive basketball controls ever implemented.
  • 2K Smart Play Button –Quickly call the most suitable play for the context of the game by simply holding a single button.
  • Improved Player Motion System – With an all new motion system, player movement is much smoother on both ends of the floor, while also allowing for much more explosive cuts and tighter control.
  • Depth of Content – With significant upgrades in nearly every aspect of the game, both on and off the court, NBA 2K14 boasts more animation content than any previous basketball title, and includes more than 3000 new animations.

General Gameplay Improvements:
  • Signature Skills – Six new Signature Skills, ensuring each NBA player’s unique abilities are represented in the most authentic way possible.
  • Playbook and Play System enhancements – The deepest and most authentic playbook gets even deeper. Execute new half-court sets, experience improved spacing logic, and run updated team specific plays.
  • More Signature Styles - New jump shots, dunk and layup packages, dribble moves, free throws, pre-game intros, getbacks, celebrations and more.

Offensive Control Improvements:
  • Shot System Upgrades – More realistic footwork on jump shots, improved awareness in shot selection, and a variety of new shot types. Whether you use the new intuitive Pro Stick™ or the enhanced Smart Shot Button, attacking the rim is now more exciting than ever.
  • Dribbling Advancements - Upgraded dribble movement and new branching technology give you much greater 1-to-1 control over the ball handler.
  • Enhanced Passing – More accurate pass targeting, new give and go mechanics, better handoffs, and an entire arsenal of new flashy passes.

Defensive Improvements:
  • Learning Defensive A.I. – Test your skills even further with new defensive AI that sees where the offense is being successful and adjusts strategy to take those advantages away.
  • Block Improvements – The block system has been completely revamped for NBA 2K14 with improved ball targeting and awareness, more realistic physics, and more responsive control. All new player collisions, the ability to block dunks, and more appropriate shot contests make playing defense much more fun and rewarding.
  • All New Ball Denial - No more getting stuck during off ball bumps and ball denial, allowing for complete freedom of control over your players away from the ball.
  • Enhanced dribbler vs. on-ball defender contact - Defenders can now initiate steals, hard bumps, and charges out of defensive rides, making locking up players on defense a much more engaging experience.
  • Expanded Defensive Commands – New commands using the right stick: including contesting shots, contesting passes, and denying or pressuring the ball.

Returning Features Include:
  • MyCAREER
  • The Association
  • The Association: Online
  • Training Camp
  • Season
  • Playoffs
  • Practice
  • NBA Blacktop
  • MyPLAYER Blacktop
  • Team Up
The NBA 2K14 King James Bonus Pack offers exclusive content featuring LeBron James. Customers who pre-order NBA 2K14 for the Xbox 360® games and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system will receive the following:
  • 10,000 Virtual Currency to get a jump start on the competition;
  • Extra content for the new Path to Greatness mode;
  • LeBron James unlocked in Blacktop Mode;
  • The all-new LeBron James Signature Skill available for your MyPlayer.
NBA 2K14 arrives in stores on October 1st for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Xbox One and PS4 versions arrive in November.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Gronk4M13 @ 08/15/13 06:36 AM
All sounds great, now NBA 2K14 is a definite day one purchase for me.

# 122 nip83 @ 08/15/13 06:40 AM
Pretty happy that they announced gameplay info,instead of just crew and the buzz the #3R335 created.

experience improved spacing logic, and run updated team specific plays.
If this is implemented how i read,it's gonna be huge.Does this mean playbooks are gonna be updated much like player attributes and tendencies?At least they seem to aknowledge that spacing in 2k13 was a mess...

More realistic footwork on jump shots, improved awareness in shot selection
I can't visualize what improved awareness is gonna look like(let's hope it means when the cpu has an open shot in their real range they take it.No more abandoning open shots for driving or big men shooting threes).The footwork aspect looks intriguing as well.Hope it effects the up n under issues and less skilled players not being able to perform these moves.

and toss flashy no-look passes with deadly accuracy with Pro Stick control.new give and go mechanics, better handoffs, and an entire arsenal of new flashy passes.

I really like that passing is getting an overhaul and incorporated into stick mechanics.I'm all for flashy passes but with the right players.Does this mean pass packages as well?

All New Ball Denial,Expanded Defensive Commands

I'm praying that with the ball denial they have addressed boxing out issues too.No mention on rebounding mechanics otherwise.But seeing that defense is getting attention is good news.

More Signature Styles -dunk and layup packages, dribble moves
The question here is not only new packages but actually new packages that work(sig layups in 13 were not).I was also hoping for dribble styles too,those generic dribble moves ,universal for all players ,was getting old soon.

All in all ,they've hit all the right words for the sim crowd.If they deliver as promised it's gonna be a great game.

# 123 DaWolf @ 08/15/13 07:05 AM
Improved spacing, improved jump shots... I like what I´m hearing. Lets see how it plays.

# 124 Smirkin Dirk @ 08/15/13 07:24 AM
Pardon me for being cynical, but they say this list of things every year about this time.

Ill buy it one day because I always do, but Ill believe this styuff when I see it.

I saw massive improvement in 2k13, not so much in 2k12.

# 125 mango_prom @ 08/15/13 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
I really hope it doesn't involve rubberbanding and attribute boosts.

At the very least it should intelligently select Tight/Sag/Deny settings, Pick and Roll settings, and choose appropriate defensive formations or switch between them to give you different looks.

Oh, and the AI really needs to intelligently switch matchups. That would be brilliant. Better defenders/matchups should be brought in to counter the best/hottest player. Again, using Curry as an example (he's plays like a video game character), I want to see teams throw their Iguodalas, Corey Brewers, Danny Greens, and Kawhi Leonards at him after realizing Lawson/Miller/Parker can't stop him.

This would be huge! It gets a little silly hitting 6-9 3's every game without the CPU making adjustments that happen in the real world.
Good post. But I kinda doubt it will work that way. I remember talk about dynamic AI all the way back to Konami promoting PES 6, and until now it was pretty much marketing talk everytime.

I'm kinda worried about AI gameplay with 2k mentioning they've taken the "run best play" option and mapped it to a single button. The best play script was almost singlehandedly ruining playing against the CPU in 2k13, rendering playbooks and touches pretty useless. Now they're expanding it? Well, looks like since you can't test stuff like AI playcalling, association and so on in a demo, I might have to download 2k14 before purchasing to test these issues. If they didn't fix the AI, I won't buy it and delete the copy. Simple as that. Don't wanna rip them off, but I might have to test the full game before making a decision on whether it's worth it.

# 126 KyotoCarl @ 08/15/13 07:56 AM
"More Signature Styles - New jump shots, dunk and layup packages, dribble moves, free throws, pre-game intros, getbacks, celebrations and more."

Could this be starting lineup intros? I so hope so!

# 127 VDusen04 @ 08/15/13 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
"More Signature Styles - New jump shots, dunk and layup packages, dribble moves, free throws, pre-game intros, getbacks, celebrations and more."

Could this be starting lineup intros? I so hope so!
It could be, though my first inclination was to believe they were referring to more of the pre-game rituals (i.e. Vince Carter pulling himself up on the net). It was a part of the "More Signature Styles" sentence, so I sort of feel that's what they were getting at as opposed to actual pre-game P.A. introductions.

# 128 KyotoCarl @ 08/15/13 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
It could be, though my first inclination was to believe they were referring to more of the pre-game rituals (i.e. Vince Carter pulling himself up on the net). It was a part of the "More Signature Styles" sentence, so I sort of feel that's what they were getting at as opposed to actual pre-game P.A. introductions.
Yeah, that's my thought too but i'm just hoping it's starting lineups.

# 129 Conda @ 08/15/13 08:17 AM
I'm loving all the new gameplay improvements and features. But...

Dear 2KSports,

Where is the part that talks about the return of saving Playbooks & Coaching Profiles online; and Online Lobbies. Saving the best for last? Why were these features removed from the series in the first place?

P.S. - There should be lobbies for each online mode (Exhibition, Team Up, Online Association, Crews etc... And within the modes; Sim, Casual, Arcade, Custom, etc...)

# 130 KyotoCarl @ 08/15/13 08:17 AM
JerzeyReign: This list is for the current gen features, you should probably put that in the first post since they will be announcing next gen features later on.

# 131 jarod43 @ 08/15/13 08:21 AM
Features looking good but really want to see gameplay footage as well as playing the game myself. I have learned not to get hype over new features and what not, most of time we end up disliking something later on. Good features nonetheless.

# 132 miller31time @ 08/15/13 08:54 AM
No improvement to Association Mode? 2K, you never cease to amaze me.

I know there are always "those" kids every year who don't see one minor improvement and exclaim "I'M NOT GETTING THIS GAME, NOW!!!!1!" but in this instance, I feel perfectly justified not purchasing 2K14.

Will it make a dent in their sales? Nope, but they've lost me as a customer until they spent one iota of time on the only mode that matters to me.

Pity.

# 133 kjjnesb @ 08/15/13 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller31time
No improvement to Association Mode? 2K, you never cease to amaze me.

I feel perfectly justified not purchasing 2K14.
I feel somewhat the same way I might only buy the next gen version even though I really do love the gameplay improvements.

# 134 cthurt @ 08/15/13 09:03 AM
I watched IpodKingCarter's video about this new info, and he said that the controls are totally different from last year and to forget everything we learned from 2k13, now with that said i hope the learning curve is easier then last year because i couldnt get the timing right for the dribble stick to save my life, and im kind of tired of having to re-learn how to play NBA2k every year.

And 2k putting Association mode at the bottom under returinig game modes with nothing new attached to it makes me a little nervous but its still early I wont go crazy yet.

# 135 mango_prom @ 08/15/13 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
And 2k putting Association mode at the bottom under returinig game modes with nothing new attached to it makes me a little nervous but its still early I wont go crazy yet.
I mean even if they announced "improvements" to association mode, I wouldn't believe it until I can see it in the full game.

Just take this:
Quote:
Tuned rookie generation code such that incoming talent is more in-line with players already in the league. Other generation improvements were made as well, including better secondary position logic along with adjustments to the size of the incoming players
That's a quote out of patch notes for...NBA 2k11. And here we are 3 years later and have still to deal with the same rookie generation nonsense for pretty much a decade (has been messed up since 2k3). So the patch note wasn't really the truth and they didn't fix it in 2k12/13 either. Don't know why I should be confident in 2k having it figured out all of a sudden...

# 136 Melbournelad @ 08/15/13 09:38 AM
What i don't understand is why 2k haven't even made any effort to rectify the most basic issues of association. I mean it's one thing not to add anything new, but at least fix the existing problems.

# 137 Slava Medvadenko @ 08/15/13 09:40 AM
You guys do know that they will be releasing news about Association later on, right? They reveal info week by week. If you're going to be disappointed then do so if it is confirmed to be disappointing to you.

# 138 ClutchCity @ 08/15/13 09:48 AM
I am excited about the improvements that have been highlighted. 2K13 has been in my rotation from release date. I really hope they address the flaws in the MyCareer mode like the distribution of minutes. I hate the way it was designed in 2k13.

# 139 daveberg @ 08/15/13 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
I watched IpodKingCarter's video about this new info, and he said that the controls are totally different from last year and to forget everything we learned from 2k13, im kind of tired of having to re-learn how to play NBA2k every year.
Really? They're changing the whole control scheme again? Christ. I wish they'd pick a scheme and stick to it. Soon we'll need 3 hands just be able to press all the corresponding buttons just to do something as simple as post up. Was bad enough with the control transition from 2k13 to 13, but having to do it all over again? Urgh.

Still though, if it means more moves, dribbles, shots etc - then there's nothing really to gripe about.

# 140 cthurt @ 08/15/13 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
Really? They're changing the whole control scheme again? Christ. I wish they'd pick a scheme and stick to it. Soon we'll need 3 hands just be able to press all the corresponding buttons just to do something as simple as post up. Was bad enough with the control transition from 2k13 to 13, but having to do it all over again? Urgh.

Still though, if it means more moves, dribbles, shots etc - then there's nothing really to gripe about.
Yea i dont mind them changing it again because i didnt really like last years controls but like you said i just want them to find the controls they want and stick with them at least for a couple years,

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.