Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

Brian Tong from CNET has just posted some very good NBA 2K14 information on the Pro Stick, Pass Stick, defensive moves, block system and more with this audio interview with Director, Rob Jones. Make sure you tune in and let us know your thoughts.

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 VDusen04 @ 08/19/13 08:07 PM
Quote:
You'll still get a lot of the Classic Bulls, Lakers, Celtics teams and more that we've seen in the past. I did notice that the '00-'01 Sacramento Kings have been removed from the game, probably thanks to some legal stuff, and the fact that C-Webb didn't sign on to for last year as well.

The Lebron: Path to Greatness mode wasnt talked about too much, it will cover some of the great moments that we've already seen, and more to crown King James as the greatest of all time.
This portion catered most toward my interests. On one hand, the first paragraph seems to insinuate no real progression on the classic front, and even regression in some cases (Kings).

On the other hand, I'm encouraged by the suggestion that The Path to Greatness may in fact cover some great moments we've already seen. I'd have to believe 2K would go with classic James teams and classic opponents, yes? If the mode covers past moments, it wouldn't make sense to have James playing the current Celtics, right?

I'm holding out hope.

# 2 JerzeyReign @ 08/19/13 08:08 PM
Quote:
They're also adding six new Signature Skills and they told me Lebron has his own one, that's exclusive to him called "Coast-to-Coast". It gives him a boost when he rebounds the ball and then charges to the rim on the other end.
Seriously, did Lebron need anymore help doing this? I really hope someone cheesed the heck out of this to ensure they could get it balanced. Sig skills worked very well this year and unless they were balanced during this cycle this could lead to even more - if its even possible - Lebron drive cheese.

# 3 yungsta404 @ 08/19/13 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
Seriously, did Lebron need anymore help doing this? I really hope someone cheesed the heck out of this to ensure they could get it balanced. Sig skills worked very well this year and unless they were balanced during this cycle this could lead to even more - if its even possible - Lebron drive cheese.
the transition defense was already garbage in 2k13. I dont wanna think about guys with this signature skill getting some kind of turbo boost and making it even tougher to stop

# 4 jersez @ 08/19/13 08:17 PM
Quote:
They revamped the passing system so passes have a lot more zip, and you wont get those annoying floaters that drive you crazy.

Quote:
2K Sports has also made major improvements with the ball handler to defender reactions. The game added over 2,500 new animations this year to the game and it's not just all dunks. I saw most of these with the interaction between players on defense, grabbing steals and their all new block system.
Quote:
They also added more Signature Styles for player shot animations. Some have been revamped like Stephen Curry's which was ridiculously slow in 2K13.
My goodness......

Quote:
I can't speak too much on what I heard about the next-gen stuff and I know plenty of details already, but they key thing to know is that 2K Sports had two separate teams working on the current-gen version and the next-gen version of 2K14. There will be specific visual enhancements and gameplay features in the next-gen that you can't get in the current gen. The 2K team talked about them as two entirely different games but obviously they will share certain aspects as well.

# 5 Wildcats302 @ 08/19/13 08:17 PM
Makes sense they took out the Kings from 01 with no Webber.

I bet we get the same ole same ole with classic teams but that is fine by me.

I like the gameplay improvements as well, hope it plays well.

# 6 Gramps91 @ 08/19/13 08:23 PM
The defensive improvements and new block system sound cool. Not really feeling the pro stick, I'm a square(shoot) and X(pass) guy anyway. I am glad you can still do dribble moves with the stick though.

# 7 sactown_13 @ 08/19/13 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyReign
Also worried about this. As a "Crew" fan I can see this being even more of a problem with created players. But damn, they took out my 01 Kings...its understandable without the inclusion of C-Webb tho. All in all im pretty excited from what I heard, especially the defensive improvements.

# 8 MarvinOida @ 08/19/13 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
This portion catered most toward my interests. On one hand, the first paragraph seems to insinuate no real progression on the classic front, and even regression in some cases (Kings).

On the other hand, I'm encouraged by the suggestion that The Path to Greatness may in fact cover some great moments we've already seen. I'd have to believe 2K would go with classic James teams and classic opponents, yes? If the mode covers past moments, it wouldn't make sense to have James playing the current Celtics, right?

I'm holding out hope.
I'm hoping for my old 3R335 theory. High School Bron would be cool maybe not from 2002-03, but vs Melo in 2001-02.

Sucks to not see the Kings back, but Chris Webber isn't hard to make, and other players are already on other teams like Christie and Divac.

Here's to hoping for more though.

Tap Tap Taptalking away on my iPhone

# 9 NINJAK2 @ 08/19/13 09:08 PM
I wasn't expecting a huge leap graphically on current gen--All I wanted was for them to redo some of the faces on it (there is no excuse for the faces to not be as good on current gen as what people did for pc mods imo). Sounds like they made it a priority to redo them which is a big plus for me. KD was one of the worst offenders especially being a cover guy. Improved passing is something I will need to see inorder to believe. I was nervous about this flashy passing addition as regular passing has not been that great the last few years.

I do not expect classic teams to grow and always saw that as an enjoy it while it lasts addition. People can't expect 2k to keep forking over dollars to secure an assortment of classic bench guys and superstars every year. Just isn't smart business and you never know how much X guy will want from year to year and it's possibly too hard to stay within a development budget with the inclusion of these teams. I don't work for 2k, just my own assumption which could be incorrect.

*p.s. I like Classic teams as well and I'm not bagging on those that do. Just don't know if this is something 2k can afford to keep doing for eternity..

# 10 thedream2k13 @ 08/19/13 09:16 PM
"They also added new Signature Styles for player shot animations. Some have been revamped like Stephen Curry's which was ridiculously slow in 2K13"

since when did his 2k13 button tap jumper become slow?

# 11 KyotoCarl @ 08/19/13 09:18 PM
Great article! Didn't have time to listen to the audio but the read itself was interesting enough.

Sent using Tap a Talk

# 12 Sundown @ 08/19/13 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
"They also added new Signature Styles for player shot animations. Some have been revamped like Stephen Curry's which was ridiculously slow in 2K13"

since when did his 2k13 button tap jumper become slow?
Curry's sig jumper is ridiculously slow compared to his real life release. It also has a hitch that he doesn't have in real life.

# 13 thedream2k13 @ 08/19/13 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Curry's sig jumper is ridiculously slow compared to his real life release. It also has a hitch that he doesn't have in real life.
we dont need even easier button taps though. hopefully he has a realistic release that is slower that .5 seconds

# 14 Sundown @ 08/19/13 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k13
we dont need even easier button taps though. hopefully he has a realistic release that is slower that .5 seconds
Curry's release is faster than .5. It's .4 seconds according to Sports Science. It's the fastest they've ever measured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOiH1...e_gdata_player

It should be realistically fast. His shot shouldn't be hampered to make things easier for defenders. The game just needs to allow realistic defense by both human and CPU to be played, ie. always attempt to play tight on him and never sagging off if it can be helped.

Curry is pretty much a video game character.

# 15 vannwolfhawk @ 08/19/13 10:02 PM
Increasing pass speed!!! Yes!!! Now I can make someone pay for doubling me by quick ball reversal for an open shot in the weak side corner?! Yes sir!!!

# 16 vannwolfhawk @ 08/19/13 10:10 PM
Proper help coming to help on PNR man! Yes! Now hopefully the offense can read and automatically space and react to the help on the weak side when it happens! If so this is Sweet both offensively and defensively! Loving all that I'm hearing!!! And I'm still reading! Lol

# 17 ffaacc03 @ 08/19/13 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Increasing pass speed!!! Yes!!! Now I can make someone pay for doubling me by quick ball reversal for an open shot? Yes sir!!!
Agreed, add improved spacing (already advertised) and we would only be missing "improved" close out speeds (d recovery) to have an awesome game.

I hope this is all implemented well.

Right now, assuming all previously stated and all of what I posted above is done well, I only have two concerns:

- That teams distinction isnt blurred with the new adaptive defensive AI, hopefully such adaptiveness is related to players d awareness and coaching profiles.

- The fragmentation of the devs into two separate teams, as stated on MWs interview, there is only so much that the "whole" group of devs can do in a year ... so, a fragmented group cant possibly outdo the already set high 2K standards ... or can they ? ... and how exactly ?

Anyways, I am very optimistic of the power/prowess of the next gen and its repercussions on improved AI, gameplay and hopefully, physics.

# 18 strobox88 @ 08/19/13 10:30 PM
Hearing about the controls without seeing some actual footage is like Stevie Wonder beating you in a game of basketball. Release some gameplay already!

# 19 Slava Medvadenko @ 08/19/13 11:37 PM
Glad to hear about the pass speed increasing and that it gets out of your hands faster. Along with better pass targeting and the fancy/no-look options, passing seems to have gotten a good amount of attention this year. I have to see if the pass-type logic is improved so my guy won't be making obvious bad passes right into the defender's hands as much. Can't wait to try it out.

# 20 vannwolfhawk @ 08/19/13 11:44 PM
Is manual bounce pass still in? I loved that last year! If so what button configuration? I think I saw LT and X was alley oop now and LT and right stick is fancy pass so what is bounce pass?

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.