Home
NHL 14 News Post

The NHL 14 demo is available now for 360 users (queue it up here at 1.46 GB) and later today for PS3 users. We will update this post when it arrives. The NHL 14 demo details can be found here. Please post your impressions here and post your feedback to the developers here.

Game: NHL 14Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
NHL 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 JezFranco @ 08/21/13 02:02 PM
Yeah misread. It's the left stick (checking)that can be turned off, which basically makes it like last years games. But same idea still, with left stick checking turned off you can go full speed into someone to to just bump them instead of going for the crushing hit.
Haven't played around with it enough though to get the idea if there's actually some benefit of having it turned off.
I guess you can bump people by just releasing the left stick before contact.

# 102 CallCenterZombie @ 08/21/13 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
Really? I have yet to see it....if true, definitely a great thing. I heard it happened in COACH mode...
They do. I've seen about 6 CPU fights in 30 games.

# 103 canucksss @ 08/21/13 02:37 PM
could someone confirm that even at the hardest level it's easy to enter the o-zone? is there NZ pressure or the same as the old no pressure from NZ?

# 104 Gosens6 @ 08/21/13 02:57 PM
I am so ready for next gen hockey it's not even funny. I downloaded the demo last night, played a few games, and I am not impressed. For the most part, it's the exact same game as NHL 13.

Now, i'll give credit, 14 does feel a lot smoother, but it's really the only difference I notice. The commentary is still horrible, the presentation is still lifeless, and the gameplay, seems largely unchanged for me. The CPU and it's tape to tape, twitch passing it's gonna score at all costs is REALLY getting old. This is the first NHL i'm skipping since 07, it's not worth the 60 bucks at all.

After scoring a goal, where is the team celebration? Where's the crowd noise? Commentators being excited? It's stupid. These robotic manual celebrations should have never been implemented. Goal celebrations in hockey are more of a team thing, and those are nowhere to be found. EA really packed it in these last few years, if next gen doesn't deliver, 13 might be my last hockey game purchase ever.

# 105 jyoung @ 08/21/13 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
could someone confirm that even at the hardest level it's easy to enter the o-zone? is there NZ pressure or the same as the old no pressure from NZ?
The CPU forwards will backcheck a little more once you actually enter the offensive zone, but gaining the offensive zone is still a breeze.

The CPU still does not defend its own blue line, even on the highest difficulty.

# 106 Mongo14 @ 08/21/13 03:41 PM
I think it was mentioned but if you are challeneged to fight and refuse, you and the aggressor get 2 min roughing, thats odd

# 107 canucksss @ 08/21/13 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The CPU forwards will backcheck a little more once you actually enter the offensive zone, but gaining the offensive zone is still a breeze.

The CPU still does not defend its own blue line, even on the highest difficulty.
Thanks.....one of my biggest gripes last year and in the past. Still hoping that this would be in this NHL 14. I will look forward to some people's comments when the game is released...HOPING that EA would add this. This was their promise, I believe in 12 or 13, but somehow EA removed it or did not implement.

# 108 shogunofharlem3 @ 08/21/13 03:59 PM
My quick impression. Definitely smoother than 13 but the computer still cheats. I can tell when they are going to score.

So after playing a dozen periods on the demo I can say that they still cheat and that I can not dig.

# 109 Moose24x @ 08/21/13 04:33 PM
Alright, I'll give my impressions now that I've had enough time to play a good amount. I'll note that I've been playing everything on hardcore simulation style.

The first thing I'll say is that, overall, this game feels like an improvement to me. The second thing I'll say is that I can't really pin point exactly WHY. Certainly, in many respects it feels identical to NHL 13, just perhaps a bit polished and smoother. At the same time, there's a sort of undefinable difference that I'm feeling that has me a bit more immersed in the action and makes it all feel a bit more organic and realistic.

Since I can't quite put my finger on what it is that I feel is making this experience better than NHL 13, I'll simply point out the things that I do and don't like so far:

+ The hitting, while obviously tuned way too high in order to showcase it for the demo, feels great and adds a lot. I feel, so far, that size, speed, etc. is all finally present in the collisions.

+ Enforcer engine adds nice depth to the immersion but, like hitting, it's tuned to a ridiculous level for now (I hope it's much less prevalent at release).

+ Overall skating feels a bit smoother, or less encumbered.

+ Pucks seem to be bouncing more, and bouncing more realistically as well. Whether it's off the stick on a pass, off the boards or off the pipes, the puck is behaving nicely.

+ Players in the offensive zone seem to be more ready to receive passes and shoot one-timers when you pass to them.

- Back skating and pivots don't feel better to me. I don't think anything was ever said about back skating, but pivots were hyped and I'm not feeling the improvement.

- Shot power seems really weak, but I'm hoping it's just the tuners for the demo.

- Offensive AI seems as stupid as usual. I haven't seen them hold the puck in yet and while they do a better job getting out of the way of their own players, my teammates aren't helping me fight for pucks or doing anything useful.

- Everything feels like it's floating a bit. I don't feel like the players are anchored to the ice at all right now.

- Kinda bummed that Michael Grabner, with a full head of steam in HUT, can be caught by a CHL d-man who was flat footed, turned and began skating backwards. One of the fastest guys in the NHL should seem like a race car to an undrafted CHL d-man that's skating backwards. Still way too little player differentiation.

That kind of sums it up for me. Overall, the skating feeling less sluggish, along with the new collisions and the immersion of the new fights has the actual gameplay feeling somewhat fresh for me. My disappointments are more related to issues that still remain unattended to, such as fast players getting caught when they shouldn't be, rather than any real disappointment with features that ARE in the game. On hardcore simulation, the game is fun and feels like a good hockey game. I'm sure hitting power and fight frequency will be toned down in the actual release and that will leave me fairly happy with the core product. I'd like to see improvement in player differentiation, load times for GM, etc.

# 110 Therion7 @ 08/21/13 05:00 PM
Like what they've done with the fighting but to echo previous posts I felt zero satisfaction when scoring a goal. It's bitty and disjointed in the immediate aftermath and to be honest, a little annoying. I'd rather they went back to 11's team celebrations.

Been playing a lot of Pro Yakyuu Spirits ( Japanese baseball) this year and the bells and whistles of scoring runs, belting a homer is brilliantly done, you don't really tire of seeing their selection of cutscenes, so going back to NHL's insipid offerings was jarring.

Provided penalties are sorted this year and miraculous cross-crease saves are toned down then NHL 14 will undoubtedly be the best in the series as the gameplay has reached it's zenith - that much is apparent from the demo, but as a long-time fan there's nothing fresh enough to warrant a another single player Be A GM.

Newcomers to hockey picking up the game for the first time will enjoy it tremendously, but for me personally, there's just no excitement on a game by game basis or will to win the Cup in this game engine any longer. Think I'll pass on it - unless the UK Elite League has somehow made it in unannounced.

# 111 Moose24x @ 08/21/13 05:05 PM
Yes, there absolutely needs to be more fanfare over scoring a goal.

A regular goal should be met with a bit more enthusiasm and more teammate inclusion.

A big goal should be met with a lot more enthusiasm and full on-ice teammate inclusion and bench enthusiasm.

A really big (go ahead goal, playoff goal, etc.) goal should have a notably different level of enthusiasm that comes with it. Your own player should be more excited to score, and your teammates should be more excited about it too.

A game winner, especially an OT goal, should have super high intensity. In NHL 13 there was ONE celebration for EVERY time you scored in OT. Your player slides to the corner and gets dove on by a teammates and the rest pile on. That's how they celebrate EVERY overtime goal in the NHL? At least give us some SLIGHT amount of variety.

# 112 Ninjoid @ 08/21/13 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
Really? I have yet to see it....if true, definitely a great thing. I heard it happened in COACH mode...
Yes they do...if you switch the game setting to "high impact" you will see more fights in cpu mode...by the same token I have seen fights in hardcore sim mode too, but given the hitting setting for high impact you will see more fights using this.

Just watched a game that had 2 fights in it....so at last it is there!

# 113 archibalduk @ 08/21/13 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion7
Newcomers to hockey picking up the game for the first time will enjoy it tremendously, but for me personally, there's just no excitement on a game by game basis or will to win the Cup in this game engine any longer.
This is my problem too. There isn't enough in gameplay improvements to warrant me spending £40 on NHL 14 when I already have NHL 13 (hence I usually wait 2 -3 years before buying another NHL). Something I wish they'd give some attention to is boardplay. There is far far more boardplay in real life than the game itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion7
Think I'll pass on it - unless the UK Elite League has somehow made it in unannounced.
If only! I'm really tempted to buy the PC version of NHL 04 on ebay (it seems I've lost the copy I used to have) and add the British leagues right down to the NIHL-1.

# 114 Dispatch @ 08/21/13 07:28 PM
It is pretty much what I expected it to be. I knew downloading it that there weren't going to be any major changes. We're at the end of a generation. It would be a waste of time for them to make any major changes at this point.

Overall the game does feel smoother. I don't know how I feel about the one touch dekes yet. I'm not really one who goes around trying to make people miss. I'm more focused on changing speeds and driving to the net/slot. I take pride in not using those dekes. The biggest thing that needs to be improved in my mind is the defense. The entire system they have in place needs to be overhauled.

Obviously the presentation and the commentary are in dire need of a refresh. I would love to see Pierre and the rest of the NBC crew but thats just me. I want the game to feel alive. Hockey is one of the most emotional sports out there and by playing this game you would never know that. I'm sick of no team celebrations. In real life if someone scores you see group hugs with everyone on the ice and fans banging on the glass. Theres so much room for improvement here its not even funny.

Regardless I see myself buying this game. I'm an EASHL player but I play sim. That means the first two months are the best months for me. Thats when everyone is still playing it and the trolls don't have their super fast players yet. One thing I'm hoping is that if you make your player 5'9" that they get dumped pretty easily by someone who is 6'2". Thats been an issue I've had for a while.

# 115 Gagnon39 @ 08/21/13 07:30 PM
Here's a CRAZY thought. How about a fight that is A DRAW every once in a while? Since that happens about 50% of the time in a real NHL fight. Just a thought.

# 116 shark50 @ 08/21/13 07:36 PM
Actually even though someone wins..if you look at the stats on the lines in some cases it shows that it didnt effect them increasing or decreasing on the loser..since in some cases it was practically a draw..this happens alot in nhl13

# 117 Aaberg93 @ 08/21/13 08:27 PM
Did anyone notice you could add a head coach to your HUT team?

This is new, right?

(I didn't play much HUT last year, but don't remember coaches being implemented in the game at all)

# 118 Gagnon39 @ 08/21/13 08:35 PM
The best thing I've seen so far happened last night...

I absolutely creamed Marchand into the boards from behind with Brent Seabrook. It was an obvious penalty but before I knew it Lucic had flown over to me dropped his gloves and we started to brawl. The only problem with this was that Lucic should have got an off-setting instigator penalty for that. So Seabrook should have gotten 2 minutes for boarding, and 5 for fighting while Lucic got the 5 for fighting and 2 minutes for instigating. However, the Bruins had a power play.

# 119 Gagnon39 @ 08/21/13 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
One more presentation note: why'd they remove the players coming out onto the ice before each period?

I still like seeing that in 11, the last year it was in.
There's a number of things they removed that I don't understand. They used to have players skate out on the ice for the three starts of the game. That's been gone since NHL 11 as well. And after a goal they used to have a team "hug" cutscene, that's gone too.

# 120 jyoung @ 08/21/13 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaberg93
Did anyone notice you could add a head coach to your HUT team?

This is new, right?

(I didn't play much HUT last year, but don't remember coaches being implemented in the game at all)
Coaches were in last year's version of HUT.

They give stat boosts to every player on your team.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.